Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Snake_in_a_box posted:

Am I the only one having a fuckton of trouble at the (spoilered just in case) ferry waiting part? I've reloaded 10 goddamn times and everytime I just get loving swamped before the guy even gets there. Should I be standing in a certain place? I've tried like 3 loving spots and I've tried being mobile but nothing seems to loving work. I always run out of shotgun shells and revolver shotgun reloads so loving slowly. I'm playing on hardcore and I've not had a single difficulty problem up till now.

Yeah that place was a real pain in the rear end, I found that running upstairs after ringing the bell and sitting in the far left-most corner from the stairway was the best, there was some shotgun ammo nearby in case I ran out. Still took me a few more tries before I got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ugh I never beat 2033 and after playing this game for five minutes, I can't resist the urge to go back and give the first game a proper playthrough before starting this one.

The game looks great, but I'm a little concerned they gave up to a certain extent on the stalker vibe when it comes to lighting. Doesn't seem as dynamic as metro 2033 was...at least in the first section. For example, in the first game, if you shut off the lamps in your room, it's pitch black. Not quite so much in this one (at east in the beginning), looks like they went with a more generalized background ambient lighting like crysis or skyrim has. Hopefully the game gets dark soon! The flickering shadows are horrible and seem to also absorb framerate if you look at them. Definitely could use some optimized drivers for AMD owners, screw this meant to be nvidia horseshit.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It gets better, D6 is just a special little flower in the aftermath of the bombs dropping.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So whats the deal with the spiders? I'm in the bit where you get the railcar. It seems like they play an audio cue and just spawn a spider behind you after a while. It's pretty loving annoying to just be checking corners and stuff to avoid getting snuck up on and then wrecked anyways. Am I just bad at not getting bitten in the rear end by spiders or what.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I like how when you hold tab on ranger hardcore, you can still hear the sounds the HUD makes as you move the mouse. I really cannot understand why they would prevent you from seeing bullet count and whatnot. Too bad im not using guns much, going through every level leaving a pile of sleeping nazis/communists with their sinus cavities broken beyond repair! Artyom learned how to punch dudes real good after the events of 2033. I did blast one dude with my silenced pistol at one point, hopefully that doesn't mess with my invisible karma points.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ethanol posted:

Ugh I never beat 2033 and after playing this game for five minutes, I can't resist the urge to go back and give the first game a proper playthrough before starting this one.

The game looks great, but I'm a little concerned they gave up to a certain extent on the stalker vibe when it comes to lighting. Doesn't seem as dynamic as metro 2033 was...at least in the first section. For example, in the first game, if you shut off the lamps in your room, it's pitch black. Not quite so much in this one (at east in the beginning), looks like they went with a more generalized background ambient lighting like crysis or skyrim has. Hopefully the game gets dark soon! The flickering shadows are horrible and seem to also absorb framerate if you look at them. Definitely could use some optimized drivers for AMD owners, screw this meant to be nvidia horseshit.

I don't know what you are talking about, this game is so dark it hurts my eyes. I have popped of so many rounds while crossing my fingers that I was shooting at an enemy and not some random swinging lamp.

Also, god bless them for making a stealth focused game that doesn't involve some superpower or gadget that just lets you look at enemies through walls.I do wish the enemies were less dumb though. "oh hey you shot that guy I'm talking to? Guess I'll just stare at the ceiling then".

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 15, 2013

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I would say your moniter/gamma settings are what makes the game appear so dark, mine was set on a higher contrast ~gamer mode~ that made dark areas pretty much pitch black until I set it to normal.

Also about the stealth, I really appreciate a game where you don't have a magic guard-dar somewhere on your hud but man, either Artyom is the goddamn batman or these guards need new glasses. You can literally stand in front of people in unlit rooms and they cannot notice you unless you make a sound. I sort of miss 2033's stealth but at the same time I feel liberated not having to reload dozens of times to get through one area without killing everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megafunk posted:

Also about the stealth, I really appreciate a game where you don't have a magic guard-dar somewhere on your hud but man, either Artyom is the goddamn batman or these guards need new glasses. You can literally stand in front of people in unlit rooms and they cannot notice you unless you make a sound. I sort of miss 2033's stealth but at the same time I feel liberated not having to reload dozens of times to get through one area without killing everyone.

I remember that in my runthrough on ranger easy in 2033 that in one section with the Nazis, there was exactly one set of steps I could take to not die, and that was half stealth, then blitzing to the part with the communist prisons with the volt driver, if I took a step out of line, I was dead. Before that, I had to wait underneath some floorboards for several minutes, with a silenced revolver, and kneecap various guards who came through, all at once, otherwise they'd be alerted and I'd be dead. It took forever, and eventually the sense of dread and "I'm hosed" went away because of it. It's a lot easier now, but it seems to be better at keeping me on edge too. It seems like, on normal anyway, you have to go out of your way to die to enemy fire though. Are there combat and stealth suits this time around?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Megafunk posted:

I would say your moniter/gamma settings are what makes the game appear so dark, mine was set on a higher contrast ~gamer mode~ that made dark areas pretty much pitch black until I set it to normal.

This sort of thing led to me experiencing the hilarious situation of Artyom crouched on top of a metal detector while an enemy walked within about five inches of his face and wasn't alerted, he even looked right at Artyom while passing by.

I would have done a full pacifist run had I known before the half-way point that you could even do knock-outs. I left a trail of corpses with their necks slashed open before I accidentally pressed E behind a guy when I wanted to press R. I can't really blame the game for that though, it did say not to do RHC before playing another playthrough, but I've always found it more fun to do the hard playthrough first.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I got this with a videocard and like it besides a few things.

1) Apparently I don't get ranger mode. That's the stupidest thing, they want me to pay them $5 to get the fun difficulty setting. I have never heard of a game doing this before and it makes me pretty angry.

2) Defense missions. Everything flows really nice and feels natural until you are defending X while a mob of creatures attacks you. They seem to get more frequent as I get further into the game.

3) Back to back giant mutant bossfights. What the gently caress! Great, I killed the giant mutant your artist was really proud of, let me shoot some dudes, don't throw me into another drawn out multi-sectioned boss fight against another giant mutant.

Other than that, love it.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I've just finished the game on Normal (same as what I went through 2033 on), and it seems a hell lot easier than the original. You start getting the good stuff really early, and with all the attachments you can buy for them at shops, get that much more powerful even quicker. There's so much ammo lying around that I never got low on anything except for shotgun ammo in particularly horrible cave section, and that was only because I went rambo with Saiga 12 autofire rather than lobbing grenades into groups. Resources too; I had way more MGR than I knew what to spend on, my medkit was almost always full, and in the last third of the game, my total filter time constantly hovered in the range of 50-59 minutes.

And I'm not even good at shooters! Guess I'll try Ranger Hardcore tomorrow or something.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
How the hell do you pick up guns? I'm not that far into the game and my dude only picks up the ammo when I press E.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Press and hold E when you mouse over a weapon that can be picked up.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Peruser posted:

Yes

The point the game went good to great for me was Chapter 18(17?) the swamp, the game ramped up the difficulty pretty fast and having to run across the map looking for spare ammo, filters, and guns to fight off that monster and the demons finally made me actually feel challenged by Ranger Hardcore.

Yeah, I ran out of normal ammo for a bit in that section because I kept on getting turned around. Had to resort to using MGR for a little bit and GODDAMN is that stuff better. I knew it was, but not by that much.

Gravel
Mar 11, 2013
Gravel is a delicious food for people.
I think I only have two problems worth mentioning with the game at this point:

- I'm getting glitchy lighting (generally from flame lamps) that occasionally flickers in weird ways and casts distracting seizure-y shadows (and I see that's been answered a ways back, awesome! That's been ultra-distracting.)
- I have no idea what ammo I have equipped in my badass rifle from the start of the game (Ranger Hardcore). I don't think I ever consciously swapped ammo types, but that thing has sat essentially empty ever since I picked it back up. I don't know if ammo is just super rare for it at this point or I've got military grade in it, and I don't think swapping ammo for it would help since I don't know what the military grade looks like for sure compared to an empty clip.

Other than that, I like it a lot. I wish the English subs were more consistent with the Russian dialogue, though. My Russian sucks, but I like playing the game in it, because I pick up new words and expressions really frequently, but it's more difficult when the subs are more consistent with (I assume) the English dialogue. Anna never calls you "rabbit", for example, and some conversations are said completely differently. The subs are also a little wonky, occasionally they'll have romanized Russian like "privyet" just shoved in. Finally, I have to feel like you might miss some flavor playing in English - when Pavel lights his torch, he uses a Russian expression for when they light a Christmas tree - something like "one, two, three, light the Christmas tree". There's been a bunch of stuff like that where the English just wasn't quite as good, I think.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Yes, I'm playing the Russian version with English subtitles because it's much more atmospheric. However, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on a lot of back story just from NPC chatter. A lot of them are not subtitled or sounds weirdly translated. At this point, I might switch it back to English because I do love picking up on small background details from the chatter.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Noirex posted:

Yes, I'm playing the Russian version with English subtitles because it's much more atmospheric. However, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on a lot of back story just from NPC chatter. A lot of them are not subtitled or sounds weirdly translated. At this point, I might switch it back to English because I do love picking up on small background details from the chatter.

I started playing in Russian with English subtitles, but I switched for a couple reasons:
1) As you said, there are more than a few background conversations that are really cool, that you totally miss out on because they have no subtitles
2) When there is combat, having to keep dropping my eyes to read the subtitles means I miss out on dialog, because not dying is usually a higher priority.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Noirex posted:

I switched back to english from Russian just to get some backstory. If I play the game again I will be switching to Russian voice and English subtitles because then I will already have some idea of what the NPCs in town are talking about.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gravel posted:

I think I only have two problems worth mentioning with the game at this point:

- I'm getting glitchy lighting (generally from flame lamps) that occasionally flickers in weird ways and casts distracting seizure-y shadows (and I see that's been answered a ways back, awesome! That's been ultra-distracting.)
- I have no idea what ammo I have equipped in my badass rifle from the start of the game (Ranger Hardcore). I don't think I ever consciously swapped ammo types, but that thing has sat essentially empty ever since I picked it back up. I don't know if ammo is just super rare for it at this point or I've got military grade in it, and I don't think swapping ammo for it would help since I don't know what the military grade looks like for sure compared to an empty clip.

Other than that, I like it a lot. I wish the English subs were more consistent with the Russian dialogue, though. My Russian sucks, but I like playing the game in it, because I pick up new words and expressions really frequently, but it's more difficult when the subs are more consistent with (I assume) the English dialogue. Anna never calls you "rabbit", for example, and some conversations are said completely differently. The subs are also a little wonky, occasionally they'll have romanized Russian like "privyet" just shoved in. Finally, I have to feel like you might miss some flavor playing in English - when Pavel lights his torch, he uses a Russian expression for when they light a Christmas tree - something like "one, two, three, light the Christmas tree". There's been a bunch of stuff like that where the English just wasn't quite as good, I think.

Military-Grade ammo is shinier, cleaner, and smoother than the other ammo. Swap between the two and go with the stuff that looks worse. Also military-Grade ammo is VERY powerful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Damegane posted:

I've just finished the game on Normal (same as what I went through 2033 on), and it seems a hell lot easier than the original. You start getting the good stuff really early, and with all the attachments you can buy for them at shops, get that much more powerful even quicker. There's so much ammo lying around that I never got low on anything except for shotgun ammo in particularly horrible cave section, and that was only because I went rambo with Saiga 12 autofire rather than lobbing grenades into groups. Resources too; I had way more MGR than I knew what to spend on, my medkit was almost always full, and in the last third of the game, my total filter time constantly hovered in the range of 50-59 minutes.

And I'm not even good at shooters! Guess I'll try Ranger Hardcore tomorrow or something.

Yeah, I seem to remember in the first Metro I was often stuck with a lovely or no weapon because I'd frequently run out of ammo for my good weapons. In this one I have never even come close to running out on any of my weapons and I'm playing on hard. I really preferred the feeling of scavenging and bullets being an actual valuable resource in 2033. I like the feeling of making every bullet count in a game like this, but you don't really have to at all in Last Light.

I don't know how different Ranger mode is. I wish I could play it but I'm on a rental copy.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

A former executive at THQ has written a very interesting article on the working conditions of 4A Games. Power outages, loss of heat for days at a time, a small office with only the most basic equipment, shifting publisher demands, and a tiny budget. He even makes the obvious joke that 4A didn't have to look far to be inspired by a bleak post-apocalyptic setting.

Jason Rubin posted:

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember in the first Metro I was often stuck with a lovely or no weapon because I'd frequently run out of ammo for my good weapons. In this one I have never even come close to running out on any of my weapons and I'm playing on hard. I really preferred the feeling of scavenging and bullets being an actual valuable resource in 2033. I like the feeling of making every bullet count in a game like this, but you don't really have to at all in Last Light.

I don't know how different Ranger mode is. I wish I could play it but I'm on a rental copy.

Play on Ranger. It's exactly what you're looking for.

As an aside, I am really liking this game, and I'm happy my 2600K + GTX 570 are running 1080p on very high quite smoothly!

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing on the hardest ranger difficulty, I just got the the part right after Venice, in the swamp where you have to collect gas to make some button work, and I can't find the gas. Now normally I wouldn't be asking for help on something like this, except the game for some loving reason thinks it's a fantastic idea to constantly autosave while I run out of filters. So now I have just a few minutes left on my last filter and I haven't found any gas. Well actually I did find some, but those cans were empty. I also found a gas can booby trap that I disarmed, but apparently you can't salvage the gas can from that. Can anyone help?

Speaking of the part where you wait for the ferry, I had a similar experience. Most of the game has been relatively easy so far, then suddenly this part comes up and I have to reload a dozen loving times. Talk about poor game design, or maybe the ranger difficulty was just too rushed in design. Anyway, if you go upstairs, above where the button is, there's a four barrel shotgun and some ammo. If you have to reload while being attacked, just switch weapons instead.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

This is kind of a weird question but how do you unload military grade ammo? I can't seem to figure it out and in 2033 I think it was hold reload? It's not working now though and I just bought a bunch of normal ammo so I'm a bit confused

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Just finished the game, late-ish game and ending spoilers:

I was started to get really hacked off at that little poo poo and his 'killing is ALWAYS WRONG :ohdear:' bullshit and how I knew I had to play along to get the Good Ending, then I realized that Artyom needs to brainwash this kid into Saturday morning cartoon levels of forgiveness since he kinda, y'know, nuked Junior's entire race into radioactive dust.

Nevertheless, I'm still pissed off at the kid for giving me the Bad End for stabbing actual Nazis who are beating people to death with shovels for having subpar head dimensions :wtc: and rapist child-enslaving bandits who decorate tunnels with the mutilated corpses of civilians. I didn't kill Pavel or the other guy, I didn't even let the goddamn superbear die, I didn't kill the mama Demon, and in the battles where he was watching I punched as many dudes as it was possible to get away with punching without dropping the difficulty level, and the little poo poo still Bad End'd poor Artyom.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

The On the Rails section is awesome and I encourage everyone to hop off your vehicle once in a while and explore all of the side rooms on the way to your destination. Some of them are downright freaky and I found some sweet weapons in them too.

Edit: I just read the above article and it's amazing what 4A managed to do despite the poor conditions. The game is stunning looking, the atmosphere is pretty incredible and crafted with lots of love and details. If you're a fan of STALKER or post apocalyptic worlds, you should get this game.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Never played the previous game. Didn't know much about this when I rented it. Not far in, but I'm kinda really liking it so far!! :)

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Tehan posted:

Just finished the game, late-ish game and ending spoilers:

I was started to get really hacked off at that little poo poo and his 'killing is ALWAYS WRONG :ohdear:' bullshit and how I knew I had to play along to get the Good Ending, then I realized that Artyom needs to brainwash this kid into Saturday morning cartoon levels of forgiveness since he kinda, y'know, nuked Junior's entire race into radioactive dust.

Nevertheless, I'm still pissed off at the kid for giving me the Bad End for stabbing actual Nazis who are beating people to death with shovels for having subpar head dimensions :wtc: and rapist child-enslaving bandits who decorate tunnels with the mutilated corpses of civilians. I didn't kill Pavel or the other guy, I didn't even let the goddamn superbear die, I didn't kill the mama Demon, and in the battles where he was watching I punched as many dudes as it was possible to get away with punching without dropping the difficulty level, and the little poo poo still Bad End'd poor Artyom.

Spoilers

It's funny, as I've said before I've murdered half the metro and I still got the good ending. I did as many good things as I could in Hub stations so that might be why, but it's still funny how despite killing almost everybody I had to (except for Pavel and the Traitor ((I'll be damned if I can spell that name off the top of my head).

I found the ending to be okay, I loved the fight scene before it though, even if it felt a bit out of place in the game. It felt so good to finally be able to unload on these guys without a care in the world after having to conserve my ammo through the entire game.

I think my favorite level is still the Swamp, although the scariest level was the Housing section. Although I'm not sure if I didn't skip the conclusion on that one, it kept hinting at a big event but all I got was walking through a valley of skinned hands.

Either way the humans in this game are pushovers and the monsters are really where I had a lot of fun. The game feels a lot easier compared to the first game.

Also that article is great, I would never have guess how lovely the situation is over at that studio if all I had to look at was the game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hahahaha oh my god I didn't even make it past selecting my gun before my PC blue-screened on me. I'm not even going to touch this game until they fix it for AMD cards.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sputty posted:

This is kind of a weird question but how do you unload military grade ammo? I can't seem to figure it out and in 2033 I think it was hold reload? It's not working now though and I just bought a bunch of normal ammo so I'm a bit confused

Hold down the reload button to switch between the two. I think pressing reload while you have the inventory screen open will load Military Grade ammo, but I could only get it out of the gun by holding reload.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Bleh Maestro posted:

Play on Ranger. It's exactly what you're looking for.

I've started a new game on Ranger Hardcore and yeah, folks who liked 2033 will like it a lot better this way. Less ammo per pickup (I think?) and lower max ammo goes a long way to making the game feel more like the original. I'm still pretty well-stocked on ammo, in part due to my pack-rat mentality, so it'll probably come back to bite me in the rear end when I get to the longer surface sections and end up with a time limit to do my looting.

Ervin K posted:

I'm playing on the hardest ranger difficulty, I just got the the part right after Venice, in the swamp where you have to collect gas to make some button work, and I can't find the gas. Now normally I wouldn't be asking for help on something like this, except the game for some loving reason thinks it's a fantastic idea to constantly autosave while I run out of filters. So now I have just a few minutes left on my last filter and I haven't found any gas. Well actually I did find some, but those cans were empty. I also found a gas can booby trap that I disarmed, but apparently you can't salvage the gas can from that. Can anyone help?

I'm not sure whether scripting is such that only the last cache of gas cans you find will have any inside, but on my playthrough I found it inside the crashed plane. There should be some filters and other supplies inside as well, if I remember correctly.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Heads up for anyone who hasn't got the game yet. It's selling for £21.99 here. Activates on steam, and is also the limited edition. I just picked it up now, lovely deal.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

Hold down the reload button to switch between the two. I think pressing reload while you have the inventory screen open will load Military Grade ammo, but I could only get it out of the gun by holding reload.

Ah, ok. I had the inventory open to check while I was trying.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Rebel Blob posted:

A former executive at THQ has written a very interesting article on the working conditions of 4A Games. Power outages, loss of heat for days at a time, a small office with only the most basic equipment, shifting publisher demands, and a tiny budget. He even makes the obvious joke that 4A didn't have to look far to be inspired by a bleak post-apocalyptic setting.

drat :psyduck:

Also,

quote:

wasted a year-plus chasing the irrational requirement of THQ's original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget

Jesus Christ what are decision makers in the entertainment industry actually payed for? Work down the bullet list of features from the latest tracking reports? I can do that, call me!

Or buy a 500 dollar PC, that can do it too. gently caress.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rebel Blob posted:

These dudes are heroes for putting together a game like this under those conditions. This is a GOTY candidate.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Well, second time Metro has crashed after going up that ladder. I'm really sick of redoing that section.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Any word at all on when the AMD issues will be fixed? I hope we're not looking at a long wait, the game is unplayable in this state for me.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Rebel Blob posted:

Picturing that studio makes me laugh/cry.

I can't believe they were able to pull this off!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cannot find the goddamn church for the life of me. This part is horrible. I am at a checkpoint with no air and no filters meaning I have about 1 minute to live and every time I try to go to the church the little arrow just seems like it's being wonky. I don't know if I should just restart the chapter or what.

As much as part of me likes the whole filter thing, it's really annoying sometimes. Like, if you are completely SOL maybe the game could spawn one at a checkpoint or something cause this is stupid.

Edit: Ahahaha. found the church. gently caress this part! How the gently caress do I even get over that little moat after killing that bullet sponge that took about 200 bullets to kill?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
edit: That article was really good.

• Locked thread