Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Streyr
May 14, 2006
Penguin God

TenaciousJ posted:

I picture Ichigo's mom telling him to go to his happy place a la Happy Gilmore. He's immediately at peak strength with access to all his powers when he's not a gloomy whiner.

There was something like this in the anime during a filler arc where Ichigo gets trapped in some... nightmare mirror style attack. His mom appears and starts to attack him but then the power of LOVE~ takes over she hugs him and he powers up because Moms are so awesome. I think I could live with that style of training arc for Ichigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The interesting thing about that picture is that it's like 3 years old and it's still true.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
So this Ywach stole the old captain's Bankai which could resurrect dead people. Next we're probably going to learn that Ywach probably is the one who killed Masaki. So he's probably going to like, resurrect her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArcaneTree posted:

So this Ywach stole the old captain's Bankai which could resurrect dead people. Next we're probably going to learn that Ywach probably is the one who killed Masaki. So he's probably going to like, resurrect her.

It doesn't resurrect them. I don't think it even stops them from reincarnating. It just turns them into ash zombies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If it does prevent them from reincarnating, then Yama was a horrible monster far worse than Aizen. So yeah, that's probably the case.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Silver2195 posted:

It doesn't resurrect them. I don't think it even stops them from reincarnating. It just turns them into ash zombies.

The whole point of why Quincies are such terrible people is that they stop the cycle of reincarnation. I doubt Yama's sword would do that exact very thing.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Maybe they don't even need to be fiery ash zombies and Yamamoto set them on fire just because. What if Ywach treats his zombies nicely allowing them to keep their original form and they can speak and stuff, so it'll be like a form of resurrection?

ArcaneTree fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 11, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Aren't they just the ash zombies of people killed with that particular sword? So unless old man Yamamoto is the one who killed Ichigo's mom, I don't see how she's going to show up.

Actually, was Yamamoto a big enough dick to have gone and killed some woman who was just walking with her son and got attacked by a Hollow? I mean, his one defining feature, other than incompetence, was being an inflexible rear end, but that big an rear end?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm like 95% certain it's just constructs made of ash that take the form of people the Bankai's holder has killed, getting the image from the Bankai holder's memories. YWACH point-blank said to Yamamoto after he stole the Bankai, "shall I revive your own soldiers and have them attack you?"

The whole part where the ash zombies look like someone is probably just to psych the opponent out and it seemed to work pretty well on Loyd Royd!

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
The Yamamoto fight remains one of the most metal things ever put on page. Sure, Yamamoto was kind of a massive dick for no reason most of the time, but man, that Bankai made it all worth it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

VJeff posted:

I'm like 95% certain it's just constructs made of ash that take the form of people the Bankai's holder has killed, getting the image from the Bankai holder's memories. YWACH point-blank said to Yamamoto after he stole the Bankai, "shall I revive your own soldiers and have them attack you?"

The whole part where the ash zombies look like someone is probably just to psych the opponent out and it seemed to work pretty well on Loyd Royd!

It's not literal zombification/resurrection.
It's like Aaroneiro's ability which remembers the faces and memories of things he eats/kills.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The only reason to assume that Yama's bankai didn't eternally enslave the souls of everyone he killed is that he was supposedly the good guy in that fight. Otherwise, it would be entirely consistent with his character.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

VJeff posted:

It's possible he meant Yama's own men that Yama killed in his lifetime, there's probably a ton of those.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's not literal zombification/resurrection.
It's like Aaroneiro's ability which remembers the faces and memories of things he eats/kills.

Yeah. Like I said, I think it's mostly a psychological thing.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
http://www.mangareader.net/bleach/537

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I can barely even remember Ishida.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like I'm dumb, because I still don't understand why Masaki died? :confused:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

Looks like I'm dumb, because I still don't understand why Masaki died? :confused:

Bach basically took her powers at roughly the same time Grand Fisher attacked, so she didn't have the Quincy techniques to protect her.

Done, thanks for reminding me.
vvv

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 15, 2013

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, after rereading those few pages I got it, thanks. (And you should probably spoilertag it since it's stuff from the latest chapter and all that)

Anyway, that's really loving stupid conclusion to that arc.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Well that explains why all the quincy are gone. There were so few pure-bloods by that point that they became all that was left. Ishida was probably spared because he was only a child and had little to no power to take.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ishida. Stop being a villain.

Stop.

Stop it, Ishida. :(

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
Oh my God those MY SON people were right?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oh, and Ichigo learning how to use his mother's Blut Vene is pretty much a given at this point. He already accidentally used it in Soul Society.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

VJeff posted:

Stop.

Well...

Don't think he's got much of a choice against a guy who can apparently has a genocide button keyed to you and your family that he's already pressed before in the past

At least this way he's in a position to screw him over when the time is right, rather then just getting snuffed out.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

Stop.

I'm hoping Urahara and his dad are helping him spy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah there's obviously sabotage afoot here, but we'll probably have to put up with an inordinately long time of Ishida pretending to be a bad guy and at least one Ichigo vs. Ishida fight (this might be the entire point!) before Ishida tries to shoot Juhabach in the back of the head as revenge for his mother, fails, and reunites with Ichigo for a chapter called THE UNITED FRONT [quincy brothers hate you mix] or whatever.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

The tiny picture of Katagiri in Ryuuken's office makes my heart hurt. I knew she'd probably be dead, since she hasn't shown up in the present, but I held out a tiny bit of hope. But now that means that Ryuuken teaching Ichigo about his Quincy powers could be a thing, what with Katagiri dead and Ishida (hopefully) pretending to be a bad guy. I'm going to start a prayer circle for this.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

VJeff posted:

Stop.

Ishida is nothing but a giant, walking gently caress-up, but seriously, what do you expect from someone whose first apparition consisted in causing a massive Hollow invasion in the middle of Karakura? Personally I hope he gets his just deserts but unfortunately this is his rescue arc and we have to stick with him until he turns good again...

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There is no way Ishida is a bad guy. He even said way back in his first fight with Ichigo that he thinks the Shinigami were right in the Quincy v Shinigami war. Also he was mislead by Urarahara about the Hollow Bait, he had no idea it would summon as many as it did. He'll probably do some hosed up poo poo for Ywach for a while to convince us that he's actually on that side though, cause I don't know how many people would just accept that he's on that side now. Maybe he'll kidnap Orihime or something dumb like that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Wow that was a pathetic attempt to retcon the death of Ichigo's mother. "Oh there just so happened to be this guy who at the EXACT same moment took away her awesome quincy powers!"

And stop it Ishida. You're not fooling anyone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ok, I'm still not sure why Ichigo's mom got her Quincy powers ganked. Bach apparently gobbled up all the powers of impure Quincy, but wasn't she a pure blood Quincy, last of her line?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

Ok, I'm still not sure why Ichigo's mom got her Quincy powers ganked. Bach apparently gobbled up all the powers of impure Quincy, but wasn't she a pure blood Quincy, last of her line?

She'd been tainted by the hollow. This is also why she was kicked out of the Ishida household.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/read/bleach/47160500/1

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SerSpook posted:

She'd been tainted by the hollow. This is also why she was kicked out of the Ishida household.

Yeah, but I figured Bach did a more generic move than simply checking off a list of which Quincy he'd steal the power from. Unless he did something individually, she's still a pure Quincy so she shouldn't be effected. Especially since her Hollow was sealed up tight in a double layer of Ichigo and Urahara/Ishin techno-ghost wrapping.

Edit: And the Mangastream translation answers the question. Congratulations on specifically pissing on the last Quincy and his Omnipowered friend.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Yeah, but I figured Bach did a more generic move than simply checking off a list of which Quincy he'd steal the power from. Unless he did something individually, she's still a pure Quincy so she shouldn't be effected. Especially since her Hollow was sealed up tight in a double layer of Ichigo and Urahara/Ishin techno-ghost wrapping.

Mangastream makes it seem exactly like it was a checklist since they said they were handpicked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, Mangastream makes it sound like he spent the time between regaining his reason and regaining his powers picking which Quincies to off, almost.

At any rate, I have a subscription to SJ, so in a week or so, I'll see if it corroborates.

Gyges posted:

Edit: And the Mangastream translation answers the question. Congratulations on specifically pissing on the last Quincy and his Omnipowered friend.

I imagine their widowers are pretty mad too!

Oh man, Ryuken calling himself "The last Quincy" is so much sadder now. :smith:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 15, 2013

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

This actually makes Ryuken not wanting to teach Ishida anything about the Quincy make a whole hell of a lot more sense. If he knew about Juhabach from when Katagiri died, I doubt any father would want to teach his son to go and kill monsters when there's someone with a shut-off switch to their monster hunting powers anywhere. :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So is there any point to Ichigo learning any Quincy related abilities and further sidelining Ishida now given that the big bad could just shut them down, if not siphon them off should he learn to control and use them once he's fighting Ichigo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The Quincy mythology is now a lot like some of the vampire mythologies out there with this whole "single progenitor who is linked to all his/her descendants". It gives Quincies a weird creepy vibe and I kind of like it because before they were just super powered humans in a ghost world, now their weird too.

tsob posted:

So is there any point to Ichigo learning any Quincy related abilities and further sidelining Ishida now given that the big bad could just shut them down, if not siphon them off should he learn to control and use them once he's fighting Ichigo?

I'm guessing that Ichigo will be immune to that power because he is a super hybrid chosen one.

• Locked thread