Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
edit: mystery solved

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

tranten posted:

Just bought a 2009 KLR 650 that I'm taking on a trip to Alaska in about 2.5 weeks. PO was heavy into offroad so it's got some 60/40 knobbies on it (at least I think that's the ratio, just guessing here) and I'm thinking of switching to a 80/20 or 90/10 split for my ride up there. What's good for that? I'm not finding much tire resources online. I have zero tire buying experience.

I'm a fan of the Avon Distanzia, and I'm not the only one around here. I ran two in succession on the rear of my KTM (running a soft 90/10 wet tyre on the front for supermoto fun) they were good in pretty much everything but slick mud, even managed to get to work through a blizzard on mine.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 23, 2013

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Thanks for the tips. I posted this over in the KLR thread and the day after I bought tires people responded. :doh:

Some people liked Avon, but the Gripster was the favorite. I went with Michelin Anakee 2's, due to there reported excellent wet pavement grip. Should be a TON of rain on my way up.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Crosspostin from the SuperMoto thread. I got overshadowed by spoke-talk.

TheDon01 posted:

Just got a sweet tax return so I'm gonna pick up some fresh tires for my DRZ. I currently have distanzias on there that are not bad , but was unimpressed with them off road, though they're nice on gravel roads. I want to try some real SuMo tires this time around and I cant decide on either the continental contiforce SM or the new Conti Attack SM tires. I know the contiforce have been recommended here on many occasions but do any of you guys have the attacks and how do you like them over the forces?

^^

Tranten: I've been running Distanzias on my DRZ here in AK for the last couple years. They're good on pavement and great on gravel roads, awful in mud though. Where in AK are you planning on going? We got a lot more pavement than people think. (Unless you really plan on getting to the back country.) If you're coming to the Anchorage area about what dates would you be around? I could probably show you around the area.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 2, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Get the ContiAttack. The ContiForce is probably ok on a DRZ but the Attack is like a magnitude better. It's one of their newest tyres and has the new continuous multi-compound as well as the new moulding technology that means they come "pre-scrubbed".

The ContiForce SM I had on my KTM was mediocre at best, the Attack I just put on is loving phenomenal.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

TheDon01 you don't have plat so my email is my username at gmail.
In Whitehorse now, Anchorage by Saturday or Sunday. Gonna drive a tour bus so I'll be around all summer! I've been in AK once before, last summer. And went to a few of the usual places so I'm familiar with the road situation. I was primarily asking for the 3k mile trip up there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Anybody have experience with Pirelli Angel ST tires?

I'm going to replace my PR2s before riding cross country. I unluckily punctured the rear yesterday right after I declared the bike ready to go pending an oil change, which is frustrating but I guess new tires are always awesome.

The Pirellis are less expensive than the PR3s I can get at the local Ducati place and they seem to be held in fairly high regard. Are they good or should I just drop the extra howevermany dollars on the PR3s?

Also, what's up with the OEM-replacement specific tire models? They have a 180-55/17 and a 180-55/17-E that is supposed to be OEM replacement for a XB12XT. Granted, I have the XB12X (not the T), but is there anything I consider when it comes to that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Motomind has them on his Futura. It handles real nice. Buddy has them on his Ducati ST4, likes them a lot. I like them. Cheaper than PR3s, I'd go for them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n left out the important part: the angels on the tread turn to devils as they wear down

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm about to replace the tires on my 99VFR and would like your very biased and anecdotal suggestions!

I'm thinking Pilot Roads or Conti Sport Attacks?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ridden both, no contest pilot roads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: Whoa, new page

I've never been zapped by static electricity in a bike before, I didn't even know that was a thing

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Can someone give me a comprehensive list of tools for tire changes on the cheap? The how-tos I'm finding are all slightly contradictory, and I don't want to go buy poo poo I don't need. I'm thinking I just need a few tire irons and a valve core remover, because I already built a bead breaker and have a compressor, and I don't really care about a tire stand. Also, is balancing really a necessity? I know it's been debated in this thread, but as long as the bike isn't unrideable, won't the tires wear themselves into balance?

grazie in anticipo :-*

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AncientTV posted:

Also, is balancing really a necessity? I know it's been debated in this thread, but as long as the bike isn't unrideable, won't the tires wear themselves into balance?

The tires won't wear themselves into balance, the imbalance can actually cause vibrations that result in uneven wear, leading to even worse ride quality.

A cheap static balancing rig should be fine, though. I've never seen my tire guy use anything else and my bike feels pretty well balanced.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Can someone give me a comprehensive list of tools for tire changes on the cheap? The how-tos I'm finding are all slightly contradictory, and I don't want to go buy poo poo I don't need. I'm thinking I just need a few tire irons and a valve core remover, because I already built a bead breaker and have a compressor, and I don't really care about a tire stand. Also, is balancing really a necessity? I know it's been debated in this thread, but as long as the bike isn't unrideable, won't the tires wear themselves into balance?

Tire irons, tire lube, bead breaker, valve core tool, and some way of getting the new tire to mount (compressor, ideally) are all you need.

I've never balanced streetbike tires, never had an issue across every track/street bike I've mounted them on. No weird wear issues either. I would balance offroad tires at least somewhat, could easily be done on the bike with the brake caliper/chain off rather than on a static balancer.

It's handy to have a tie down around and something to blow air at higher speed than normal into the valve stem. I remove the core and use one of the blower tips on my compressor to get stubborn tires to mount.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
For about three years I used a couple of 2x4's and some skateboard wheels screwed into them.
The axle sat neatly between the 2 skateboard wheels bolted to the 2x4 on each side and the whole wheel spun freely.
Then I got to my current shop and saw their "professional" balancer was pretty much exactly the same setup except it was metal and had just bearings, no wheels.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

AncientTV posted:

If you have something to break the bead all you want after that is two to three good quality tyre irons; you only *need* two but it's nice to have a spare handy in case one pings off. You need rim protectors too but for jebus' sake don't buy them. Just cut some 3-4 inch roughly square pieces from empty white HDPE jugs, like these ones:

Not only are they cheaper, they work way better and when they get worn you can just make more.

As z3n said, if you're mounting up tubeless tyres you will want a fast way of getting air in the wheel. As for balancing, I've never bothered but then most of my bikes like at less than 50mph. I put a bit of tyre slime in my tubes because our roads are littered with construction materials these days so I figure balancing is a moot point. If I was going to balance them I'd just rig up something like GnarlyCharlie4u.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Thanks guys, this is essentially the last bit of maintenance that I was still outsourcing, but change rates around here are getting exorbitant.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

AncientTV posted:

Thanks guys, this is essentially the last bit of maintenance that I was still outsourcing, but change rates around here are getting exorbitant.

The first change can be a pain, but after that it gets really easy. Don't ignore your irons, I had one slip and smash my face. Adding air to the tire will reseat it, watch your fingers. Um, yeah, good luck!

Edit: Oh, and I used a bicycle pump for my tires and it works fine...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So I "wheeled and dealed" a little and got a good enough price on the Pilot Road 3s to tip the scales away from the Pirelli Angels. These better be worth the $50 more they cost compared to the PR2s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
New rear tire time... how long should a PR2 or PR3 last on the rear of a torqey 600? No more trackdays until September and I plan on riding out to the Bay this summer - not really worth killing a PP2CT over.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A torquey 600 should be considerably less wearing than the 1200cc+ sport-tourers PR3s are routinely stuck on, and guys anecdotally get 10,000+ out of them there. Obviously the more high-speed highway miles the shorter the lifespan.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm running PR2's on my bike, and from commuting and the odd weekend blast for about 7,000 K's and still plenty of meat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
okay so Michelins are off the table since I sadly can't get them through Tucker Rocky.

What about the Dunlop Q2's for my CBR600 F3?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

okay so Michelins are off the table since I sadly can't get them through Tucker Rocky.

What about the Dunlop Q2's for my CBR600 F3?

Random slipping when very cold and don't last as long as the Pilot Power 2CT but they are an amazing tire. Rock em.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm still unclear whether tires are cheaper through places like Tucker Rocky even with dealer pricing than they are through Amazon. I think I had MosesP run the PR3s I got and the Amazon markup was like 6 bucks a tire, including shipping. Probably worth checking.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm still unclear whether tires are cheaper through places like Tucker Rocky even with dealer pricing than they are through Amazon. I think I had MosesP run the PR3s I got and the Amazon markup was like 6 bucks a tire, including shipping. Probably worth checking.
Depends on the discount that your dealer gets. I used to have access to some of the best dealer pricing avaliable by TR, and a 120+180 set of Q2's would run just a bit above $200 straight cost. If you're going through a smaller company that does less volume, then the price difference very well be negligible. poo poo, I know that a website (I forget the name) used to sell Pilot Powers cheaper than our cost from either Parts Unlimited or Western Powersports. A lot of places will use tires as a loss leader because they make that money right back with mounting+balancing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

New rear tire time... how long should a PR2 or PR3 last on the rear of a torqey 600? No more trackdays until September and I plan on riding out to the Bay this summer - not really worth killing a PP2CT over.

I got 10k mostly freeway on my pr2s before I picked up a puncture. A friend with the same 1200 twin got 15k. Both replaced with the 3s. They're great high mile tires.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Conti Road Attacks will give you good mileage and grip. Maybe you can get a good deal on those?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Random slipping when very cold and don't last as long as the Pilot Power 2CT but they are an amazing tire. Rock em.

Thanks for the endorsement. This might be the solution. The F3 is a fairweather-only bike once the VFR is up and running.

Snowdens Secret posted:

We get amazing deals on tires, but we also do a lot of business.
I know for a fact there's even more wiggle room in the price. Out the door I'm paying $200 for a set of Q2's for my F3 and that's not even that good. If I had bought them a couple weeks ago on special I could have got them for $170

xd posted:

Conti Road Attacks will give you good mileage and grip. Maybe you can get a good deal on those?

That's what I'm now considering for the VFR800

Thanks for the help guys. I have limited knowledge of sportbike tires beyond Michelin and Avon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wouldn't run the Contis. I hated them, although they had the marginal benefit of being better in the wet then they were in the dry. They were pretty terrible in the dry, but ok in the wet. Really uncomfortable with them when ridden hard. But that was a few years ago, so maybe their compounds have improved.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Crossposted from KLR thread:

New set of Avon Gripsters have turned me into a broken man. I got the original one off the rear, and the new one "on" but it just will NOT get all the way up on the proper part of the rim. It's still a bit "sunken" on both sides, and I'm too much of a pussy to put it up past like 45 PSI because I don't want to DIE while doing a tire change of all things.

Advice? I've deflated and reinflated about 4 times now, whacked it with rubber mallets, bounced it like a basketball, all the while soaking the bastard with Windex. It's currently sunbathing and laughing at me from where I stand posting this in the hope that maybe the warmth will get it to set in there proper.

:\

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
My last bike came with road attacks. I don't know how many miles the P.O. put on them, but I got around 8k from them. I replaced them with PR2's and I didn't feel a significant difference in grip or feel. The grip was fine, and this was on a F4i with some spirited twisty riding.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So I have some Conti Sport Attacks on my SV right now that I got for free, because the ones that were on the bike when I got it were dry rotted to hell. However, these are 6 years old. A guy I know from a couple trackdays used them once and then swapped to DOT race tires, leaving these indoors and unused for a couple years. Now I know they're past their recommended shelf life, but I haven't had any issues with them on the street or in the wet, and they look and feel fine.

Considering all that, should I avoid running them at my impending trackday? Slow intermediate pace, at best.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should be fine if they were stored out of direct sunlight.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Good to hear. I know this is ambiguous as hell, but how long do tires keep the majority of their reliable grip, if stored responsibly, or does that all depend on specific compounds and such?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If stored well (airtight bag, no direct sunlight, stable, moderate temperatures) I've run 7-9 year old tires at aggressive street pace without issue. I wouldnt thrash them on the track in A group but for aggressive street or newer track riders, they should be fine.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

FaceEater posted:

New set of Avon Gripsters have turned me into a broken man. I got the original one off the rear, and the new one "on" but it just will NOT get all the way up on the proper part of the rim. It's still a bit "sunken" on both sides, and I'm too much of a pussy to put it up past like 45 PSI because I don't want to DIE while doing a tire change of all things.

Advice? I've deflated and reinflated about 4 times now, whacked it with rubber mallets, bounced it like a basketball, all the while soaking the bastard with Windex. It's currently sunbathing and laughing at me from where I stand posting this in the hope that maybe the warmth will get it to set in there proper.

I read somewhere about some guys who tried to make a tire explode with thousands of PSI, and the rim actually failed first. So don't be a pussy, just add more pressure. I don't think I've seen a street tire's bead pop lower than 50PSI, and they regularly require up to 100PSI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FaceEater posted:

I use nomar tire jelly. But you can also just grease the bead of the tire with vegetable oil. Also, 45psi is nothing. Try putting shinkos on a Yamaha (no relief valley in wheel). The bead sets around 70psi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Bazacko posted:

I read somewhere about some guys who tried to make a tire explode with thousands of PSI, and the rim actually failed first. So don't be a pussy, just add more pressure. I don't think I've seen a street tire's bead pop lower than 50PSI, and they regularly require up to 100PSI.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I use nomar tire jelly. But you can also just grease the bead of the tire with vegetable oil. Also, 45psi is nothing. Try putting shinkos on a Yamaha (no relief valley in wheel). The bead sets around 70psi.

Got the bastards to seat after an unholy combo of Windex, cursing, generic KY, bouncing them like a basketball while inflated to around 40 PSI, and soapy water.

Different strokes I guess. But it worked! And it's all good now!

• Locked thread