Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, Hashim Rutherford has hit a comfortable ton against the lions, and Fulton seems to have returned to form and got 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Trent Boult just bowled four no balls in his opening over against the Lions (after New Zealand collapsed from 211/3 to 289 all out, thereby proving they are still New Zealand). As far as I'm aware nobody's broadcasting that match, I'd love to know what he actually did.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
3 in a row to open the innings.

Might need to work on his run up perhaps?

edit - Jesus, 7 in the first 4 overs.

goatface fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 10, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Who is Toby Roland-Jones? He's got amazing stats and a stupid surname, why hasn't he been picked for England?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lionel Richie posted:

Who is Toby Roland-Jones? He's got amazing stats and a stupid surname, why hasn't he been picked for England?

Doesn't play for Warwickshire. Duh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

In addition to what tarbrush says, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game if the third Test against NZ is a dead-rubber, or if England get a couple of injuries to their fast bowlers.
He seems pretty high on the selectors' list at the moment, and he's in good form, so I don't think it'd take much for him to get a call-up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think half the problem would be forcing his way into the squad. With Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan, Onions, Dernbach, Woakes, Meaker and god knows what other shite on their "he plays for my county and does what I tell him to" list, it's probably difficult for a relatively young bowler to force a selection.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

England's bowling stocks are actually quite weak when you take away Anderson, who's been mediocre in the last year anyway iirc. Finn's probably the only other nailed on pick. But you just know they'll try every turd merchant under the sun before anyone actually deserving gets a chance.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel Richie posted:

England's bowling stocks are actually quite weak when you take away Anderson, who's been mediocre in the last year anyway iirc. Finn's probably the only other nailed on pick. But you just know they'll try every turd merchant under the sun before anyone actually deserving gets a chance.

Anderson was alright in India in the last three tests.

See; Rikki Clarke, Chris Woakes, Chris Wright.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Woakes is a bit of an unknown so I wouldn't be averse to seeing what he's like. I suspect his bowling will be too medium paced to be effective anywhere outside England on a damp morning though. If Clarke, Wright, Dernbach or Meaker get a test pick then we're in trouble.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Lionel Richie posted:

Woakes is a bit of an unknown so I wouldn't be averse to seeing what he's like. I suspect his bowling will be too medium paced to be effective anywhere outside England on a damp morning though. If Clarke, Wright, Dernbach or Meaker get a test pick then we're in trouble.

This is my argument too regarding Woakes. Isn't Meaker supposed to be alright or does he serve up too much rubbish?

It looks as if Harris, Roland-Jones and a fit Tremlett look like our best hopes.

EDIT: If Onions could bowl well in tour matches and warm-ups he might actually earn selection imo.

Auditore fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 11, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The only thing I've seen that sticks out about Meaker is that he's quick. But then again so was Sajid Mahmood.

Horse of Genius
Jul 30, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

In the ODIs against Australia last year Woakes was bowling around 84-85 mph, similar to some of the incumbents and a lot quicker than, say, Philander. Better control than some of the current bowlers too. He probably wouldn't get wickets in the subcontinent, but it's not like England have many tests coming up there anywhere. Plus his batting alone would get him into a number of current test sides (first division average of 48 in 2011, 70 in 2012, 75 so far this year). Not sure why everyone here hates him so much - is it just Giles?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the Sky speed gun says. But like I say, I wouldn't mind him getting a pick, I just have a feeling his bowling won't be as effective at test level.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lionel Richie posted:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the Sky speed gun says. But like I say, I wouldn't mind him getting a pick, I just have a feeling his bowling won't be as effective at test level.

I certainly think he'll need a grounding in ODIs before he gets anywhere near a test match.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Gilly just hit an 85(54) in the IPL. :3:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

When does the test start NZ time?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

10pm

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
High chance of it being rained off tomorrow.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

serious gaylord posted:

High chance of it being rained off tomorrow.

England saved by rain yet again.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Bangladesh are now below Ireland in the T20 rankings.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Scylo posted:

Bangladesh are now below Ireland in the T20 rankings.

Is that above or below Australia?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Australia are above New Zealand now somehow. It'd be nice if Ireland could start touring places like Australia to play a few T20 games.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So in the kolkata vs pune game Parthan just got dismissed obstructing the field after kicking the call down the pitch when his partner messed up the call and was still at his end. The best part was he was on 72 (44) and his partner was fresh.

Actually I lie the best part was watching some immigrants from kolkata acting confused and then trying to justify his action.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm getting sick of all these articles from cricinfo showing up on facebook, 'Is [X] the best T20/IPL [Y] ever? Some washed up hack we employ thinks so'. It sounds like the whole thing is bleeding money out it's rear end so hopefully it wont be around for that much longer and we can get back to watching real cricket.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

S Sreesanth and two other Rajasthan Royals players - Ankit Chavan and Ajit Chandila - have been arrested by Delhi Police on Thursday on charges of spot-fixing, reported PTI.

The report also said that the police has arrested seven bookies along with the three players on the charges of spot-fixing.

Rajasthan Royals are currently one of the top performing teams in the IPL, but this casts a major shadow on their successful campaign.

Spot-fixing in the IPL? I am absolutely shocked

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

'Successful campaign' eh? I guess the fix is in with the Indian journos for the competition winners too.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Should I bother staying up or will the cricket be washed out?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mister Chief posted:

Should I bother staying up or will the cricket be washed out?

There will at least be the morning session looking at the weather charts. It just depends if it buckets it down after lunch or not.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Scylo posted:

Spot-fixing in the IPL? I am absolutely shocked

While domestic T20 tournaments are prime candidates for spot fixing, I thought the Pakistan trio's highly publicized trials and jail-time would deter players, at least for a few years.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Anarkii posted:

While domestic T20 tournaments are prime candidates for spot fixing, I thought the Pakistan trio's highly publicized trials and jail-time would deter players, at least for a few years.

Sreesanth is a moron, and his mates probably are too.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Well according to Sreesanth's father this is all a conspiracy that's being led by Dhoni and Harbhajan.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

At least Butt, Asif and Amir were poorly paid by their board. What's Sreesanth's excuse?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Being a twat?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
AHAHAHAHA another spot fixing scandal involving an already corrupt POS tornament?

loving priceless :D

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Compton is the Phil Hughes of English cricket.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Is anyone watching this? Trott just hit a perfect inswinging beamer back at Martin. :stare:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cat Terrist posted:

AHAHAHAHA another spot fixing scandal involving an already corrupt POS tornament?

loving priceless :D

Yes, the schadenfreude is strong in this one. In other news, real cricket is back again! Kiwis bowling quite nicely so far, England are a bit fortunate to be only one down.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

RideTheSpiral posted:

Is anyone watching this? Trott just hit a perfect inswinging beamer back at Martin. :stare:

I've had it on Mute.
Watching Trott treat Martin like he's a quality bowler is the most :catstare: thing of all. Just whack it, FFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

Compton is the Phil Hughes of English cricket.

Except that Hughes is young enough to still have a chance of getting better.

• Locked thread