Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh lord, I am absolutely never going to get tired of casting Burning Petals. Yukiko is a fiery goddess of destruction.

They really messed with the EXP curve with the golden hands here. I think it took me about 5 rounds to defeat the December boss between power charged Hassou Tobi and Kanji's Power Charged Primal Force. Hard mode really isn't, I haven't had an enemy challenge me in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I finished the game yesterday and the best part in Golden compared to vanilla was the surprise return trip of the MC to Inaba. It might only be a summer vacation, but it was so sweet to see the gang again and how they had changed. :3: Kanji's new style. And Yukiko's. And Nanako's piano lessons. In an earlier post I wished for a sequel set in 5 - 10 years in the future and this scratched the same itch. It was also nice to hear how Namatame and Adachi were doing. This is fiction, but I hope Adachi gets rehabilitated and his life on track. This game is all about positive message and things turning out ok. Heck, even the end boss wasn't actually evil, so I hope characters who made bad choices will also get better.

drat if this game hasn't left an impression on me, again. I know all kinds of Jack Thompsons and worried moms are saying how video games are corrupting today's youth, like how FPSs and Grand Theft Autos lead to people shooting other people and all that. Well I have to confess P4 has corrupted me, because I'd like to live in an Inaba-like town and have a similar gang of friends. :D

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rurik posted:

drat if this game hasn't left an impression on me, again. I know all kinds of Jack Thompsons and worried moms are saying how video games are corrupting today's youth, like how FPSs and Grand Theft Autos lead to people shooting other people and all that. Well I have to confess P4 has corrupted me, because I'd like to live in an Inaba-like town and have a similar gang of friends. :D

Yes, pretty much this. I finished the game in December and I kinda miss the crew. I don't really want to start again (at least just yet) because it'd be a little sad to go back to the early friendship in the game. Oh well, the universe aligned and I'll have P4A this week so maybe that'll tickle the itch a bit.

They really nailed the friendship thing though, much moreso than they did with P3 where it felt like everyone in SEES were just hanging with each other out of circumstance instead. Then again, maybe that's what they were going for with that. Who knows!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

kirbysuperstar posted:

They really nailed the friendship thing though, much moreso than they did with P3 where it felt like everyone in SEES were just hanging with each other out of circumstance instead. Then again, maybe that's what they were going for with that. Who knows!

I think that was exactly the point. SEES was an external presence bringing these people together, and really the only way you can be friends with any of them is to pursue their S.Links, whereas the Scooby gang in P4 were all there largely by their own volition, based on their friendships right from the get-go.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes, pretty much this. I finished the game in December and I kinda miss the crew. I don't really want to start again (at least just yet) because it'd be a little sad to go back to the early friendship in the game. Oh well, the universe aligned and I'll have P4A this week so maybe that'll tickle the itch a bit.

I also got the same feeling from P3. Even though that crew was also composed of awesome characters, that strong feeling of "us" didn't develop like it did in P4. And your right about restarting the game feeling a bit sad. Sure it would be awesome to hang out with the crew again and the beginning of the game has a strong promise of awesome things going to happen, but... I already know what those awesome things are. :saddowns: I'll rather buy Arena next.

IIRC one Finnish review wrote really well about P4's main strength, which was the characters. The review said the game is so good because the characters feel much more like actual people with their flaws and quirks than in most JRPGs or games. That's why you learn to like them and to root for them. But it also said the characters were in a way too perfect for this world, which is also true. In P4 all want to hang out with you, they're ready to tell you their problems (if you have enough understanding or expression of course) and they never have a bad day in a sense of "I'm pissed off and even though you're innocent I'm gonna pour it out on you in order to feel better" or "I told you before I wanted to hang out, but I don't want now, sorry, bye".

You can't have friends like that in real life. I've been thinking about my friends after finishing this game and I value them more consciously for the while the impression left by the game lasts on my mind, but those relationships aren't like in P4. Of course they're not.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You don't realize how nice the "no bad day" thing is until you're replaying P3P and after the hotel Junpei goes over all :saddowns: on you and it's definitely realistic but also SUPER ANNOYING. But then it would be really dissonant with the P3 tone if everyone was sunshine and kitties all the time.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

projecthalaxy posted:

But then it would be really dissonant with the P3 tone if everyone was sunshine and kitties all the time.

Yeah, and imagine something similar in P4. :v: Yosuke could've been like Junpei in that regard, but thankfully he wasn't.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Sort of related, but while listening Logic's (rapper) new mixtape "Young Sinatra: Welcome to Forever" I noticed that he samples the intro theme of Persona 4. I'm pretty weirded out by rappers sampling music from JRPGs but I guess its pretty cool when used correctly. J. Cole's track, "Dollar and a Dream III" sampled "Darkness Of The Unknown" from Kingdom Hearts too.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vi...ore%20~Okaeri~/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just hit December. Holy poo poo :stare:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm assuming I want P3Portable over FES since P3P is the one that's $20 on PSN. :/

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

^burtle posted:

I'm assuming I want P3Portable over FES since P3P is the one that's $20 on PSN. :/

If you don't mind AI party control, you should go with FES. P3P had to cut out the 3D environments (replacing it with moving a cursor around the map) and all the animated cutscenes, so I think FES is the better one to play for your first time with Persona 3. It's also on sale for $5 on PSN right now, if you've got a PS3.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I have a weird glitch in FES on the PS3 where the rare gold shadows don't show up as, well, golden. Aside from a slight glow, they look almost identical to regular shadows. As if it wasn't already annoying enough to hunt those fuckers down. :saddowns:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If you don't mind AI party control, you should go with FES. P3P had to cut out the 3D environments (replacing it with moving a cursor around the map) and all the animated cutscenes, so I think FES is the better one to play for your first time with Persona 3. It's also on sale for $5 on PSN right now, if you've got a PS3.

I had pretty bad luck with AI party control in P4, I guess I'll mull it over some more.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

^burtle posted:

I had pretty bad luck with AI party control in P4, I guess I'll mull it over some more.

It's worse in Persona 3, go with Portable. Portable also comes with a main character who isn't an awful person.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The AI is fine in P3

...As long as you only use Aigis, Koromaru and Yukari :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It's worse in Persona 3, go with Portable. Portable also comes with a main character who isn't an awful person.

And you can dress yourself up like a maid and date someone who doesn't understand women at all!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Being able to take screenshots like those is exactly why I want the screenshot function to work with PSP games! :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Being able to take screenshots like those is exactly why I want the screenshot function to work with PSP games! :argh:

It'd be even better if you could pump up the internal rendering resolution and stuff but hey, can't win 'em all.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
You can also date Ken, but you might as well restart the game at that point.

I started with P3P, and I prefer it over FES, though FES has the animated cut-scenes and The Answer campaign. However, I found The Answer to be a pain in the rear end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The AI is fine in P3

...As long as you only use Aigis, Koromaru and Yukari :v:

Therein comes the problem, where P3P gives you a social link with The Best Dog, but it also means Mitsuru stops trying to Marin Karin enemies and starts outclassing Koromaru in terms of damage. Do you want Koromaru to be outclassed?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You can also deeply disturb your party members by wearing the battle panties, to the point that they will not talk to you at all! Which is annoying considering it is the best armor when you get it. But I suppose if DudeMC were to wear the battle panties it would also be super disturbing to your party members.

E: but seriously, P3P is better mechanically, I think LadyMC is better written and has better S-link stories, plus it's portable! It's really the definitive version.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 15, 2013

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Snix posted:

You can also date Ken, but you might as well restart the game at that point.

I started with P3P, and I prefer it over FES, though FES has the animated cut-scenes and The Answer campaign. However, I found The Answer to be a pain in the rear end.

Persona 3: The Answer = Persona 3 without the fun parts.

FES is still by far my favorite way to experience the game though. The female route is awesome, and I like party control, but it's not worth the lack of animated cutscenes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

projecthalaxy posted:

E: but seriously, P3P is better mechanically, I think LadyMC is better written and has better S-link stories, plus it's portable! It's really the definitive version.

Honestly, I wasn't a big handheld gamer at all, and bought my Vita on a whim, but being able to suspend a game whenever I want has become the a feature that I've become more and more dependent on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

epenthesis posted:

FES is still by far my favorite way to experience the game though. The female route is awesome, and I like party control, but it's not worth the lack of animated cutscenes.

Not worth the lack of sticking your hands in your pockets and walking all over the place like a badass.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's not badass at all!

(I would follow Narukami or Minako to my death but not Minato).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I felt the female route was definitely better written but I also felt it didn't really match the tone of the game at all.

Also gently caress the stupid pink UI that clashes with the game so hard.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

epenthesis posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/tafae/blog/p3p-with-p3fes-cutscenes-guide/95858/

There you go, cut-scenes fixed. This lists them all date by date and points to youtube links with instructions. Also FES on PSN has issues with some textures as well as a save bug. If you have to have to play FES (I'd rather play P3P), I recommend doing so on a PS2 or PC (not sure on this part actually).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I felt the female route was definitely better written but I also felt it didn't really match the tone of the game at all.

Also gently caress the stupid pink UI that clashes with the game so hard.

Hey, I like my pink UI :colbert:. And while the pink everything definitely clashes with the grimdark atmosphere of normal P3, I had a social link with the best dog ever so I will ignore pretty much every problem it has with tone.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Where's the best place to grind levels? I might as well try and finish my compendium this run since I've s-ranked everyone. Just need 12 more levels to do it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Myriad posted:

Where's the best place to grind levels? I might as well try and finish my compendium this run since I've s-ranked everyone. Just need 12 more levels to do it.

Magatsu Inaba

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So I finally figured out the trick to the fishing game- it's that when the indicator is in the blue, rapidly moving the left stick back and forth will pretty much always keep it in the middle as long as possible. Managed to snag the Sea Guardian!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

oblomov posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/tafae/blog/p3p-with-p3fes-cutscenes-guide/95858/

There you go, cut-scenes fixed. This lists them all date by date and points to youtube links with instructions. Also FES on PSN has issues with some textures as well as a save bug. If you have to have to play FES (I'd rather play P3P), I recommend doing so on a PS2 or PC (not sure on this part actually).

They fixed the saving bug.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

They really need to make a P3P:Golden for 3ds and Vita, especially with the animated series coming out and P5 likely? (hopefully!) bringing a bunch of P3 characters back.

Minako is canon. :colbert:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Firebert posted:

They really need to make a P3P:Golden for 3ds and Vita, especially with the animated series coming out and P5 likely? (hopefully!) bringing a bunch of P3 characters back.

Minako is canon. :colbert:

Agreed. An enhanced Vita port of FES with the P4/P4G graphics/gameplay improvements and the female main character option. That would be awesome. Maybe also throw in an extra social link and some more Personae, even voice some of the text-only lines.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
drat, I wish Atlus didn't blow their load on releasing P3 several dozen times, because I'd kill for a P3P:Golden type of thing. Maybe they'd do it anyway, but I think that's very, very unlikely.

Snix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2013

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Critical gameplay strategy question: How much time do you have to spend with the cat outside the Dojima residence before more cats start appearing on the roof?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I did it, like, twice and they started to show up. Maybe they start showing up after the one mark. Why?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Oh yeah.. friend just came back from Japan and got me these gems (among other Persona stuff!)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jet Ready Go posted:

Oh yeah.. friend just came back from Japan and got me these gems (among other Persona stuff!)

That Nanako is adorable.

A friend of mine sent me this when I got sick last year - no idea where he got it from, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That Nanako is adorable.

A friend of mine sent me this when I got sick last year - no idea where he got it from, though.

I specifically told her "LOOK FOR BRIGHT YELLOW ANIMES" which helps.

THANKS PERSONA

Also that looks like: http://bit.ly/10XsrRN

• Locked thread