Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
if there are any warrior tanks in this group, I'd love to hear some tips from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Spam Torrent of Blows, keep debuffs up, do your usual DPS rotation otherwise, don't backstab, don't roll through the boss, don't be afraid to eat an attack, what else?

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

The Ezell posted:

This is more legible than I thought it would be: http://i.imgur.com/nS9tWZQ.jpg

I have a habit of trying to keep similar skills in the same spot across classes. Oh, and the game has some funny issue with the alt+` bind, it'll just stop working until client reset occasionally.

This is great, I tried using your layout for Cultist's Refuge and I was doing much better. The Debilitate duration glyph really helps and gives me a solid 20 seconds to not pay attention once three stacks are up.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Spam Torrent of Blows, keep debuffs up, do your usual DPS rotation otherwise, don't backstab, don't roll through the boss, don't be afraid to eat an attack, what else?

backstab? you mean smoke flanker?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

No I mean backstab, you shouldn't do that. Smoke Flanker is fine most of the time; it still causes some bosses to spin but is a great cooldown (it pretty much pulls the whole room with such a huge amount of aggro that only a Lancer with Infuriate can pull it off) but yeah you shouldn't do it unless you need to.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

yeah, I just got off my rear end to google things and found
http://teratoday.com/tera-guide/tera-class-guide/tera-warrior-guide-beginning-tanking
which eventually covered the skill. I must have missed that in the big list of skills at the instructor. currently working myself towards 35 on my warrior.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Just a few things:

Use 1-2 Mutinous, 0-1 Focused, 1-2 Threat crystals for endgame dungeons. Roll everything for max damage. Always glyph Traverse Cut duration.

Don't ever get anything with threat or endurance instead of damage. I can't stress that enough. Threat generation on warriors is so goddamn strong I hold aggro against max geared DPS on a very mediocre geared warrior.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is double attack speed bonus usable for Warrior tanking or is that more for DPS?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Just a few things:

Use 1-2 Mutinous, 0-1 Focused, 1-2 Threat crystals for endgame dungeons. Roll everything for max damage. Always glyph Traverse Cut duration.

Don't ever get anything with threat or endurance instead of damage. I can't stress that enough. Threat generation on warriors is so goddamn strong I hold aggro against max geared DPS on a very mediocre geared warrior.

I'll remember that once I cap out and actually reach "mediocre" gear.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is double attack speed bonus usable for Warrior tanking or is that more for DPS?

It's even more important for tanking.

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:
Played on the EU realms, but holy poo poo it is tiresome to look at germans in chat all day, so going to try to play with Goons on the US realms :toot:

Edit: Applied as He.said

Happy Dolphin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 13, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
What do people think the best rollable stat on a Conflux is?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Either double attack speed or +PVP Damage. I prefer attack speed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A goon pointed me at this, how "free" is this game? Also, Archers seem like a lot of fun, but OP says it's a hard class. What makes Archers hard? I just want to kite things, and have a lot of utility.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tensei posted:

I've tried out using a controller as a Warrior but it didn't really cut it. I barely had enough buttons to bind all essential skills, and I had no room for some situational skills such as Smoke Aggressor or Deadly Gamble. Later dungeons also pretty much require you to have fast access to potion/charm/scroll hotkeys. It might be worthwile to try with a Berserker though. :v:

I don't have much to add other then it works with a 360 controller so far.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just applied to the guild as a lovely archer.

Although flipping around and kicking monsters isn't too shabby right now.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Turtlicious posted:

A goon pointed me at this, how "free" is this game? Also, Archers seem like a lot of fun, but OP says it's a hard class. What makes Archers hard? I just want to kite things, and have a lot of utility.

The game is free to play. There are, however, three types of accounts. You can explore the differences here. Basically it's just 2 characters instead of 8, some market and mail limitations. My memory is horrible so I could be wrong.

The archer is only hard to play well in PvP. In Tera you need to aim all of your spells and abilities. While all melee classes just need to face the right way the archer actually needs to have the crosshair at the right place as your ability goes off. This can be troublesome in a PvP situation. Also, archers perform better at close range than at distance in Tera.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Archers in this game are different than other mmos, your main skills are charge up shots which makes you immobile until later on. You do more damage the closer you are to your target. Your abilities suffer penalties after certain ranges. Also we don't currently do as much damage as other pure dps classes at the moment as we are missing a patch that ups our dps.

It's less of a agile class like in other games, and more of a heavy hitter. Geared up you can crit for over a million damage. If you want to play something mobile, warrior or slayer is probably what you are looking for

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Contrary to your instincts, an archer isn't really a kiting class. Lancer benefits more from kiting since it has a limited hit arc.

Also, kiting mobs isn't an optimal strategy in this game. :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sorcerer is probably the kiti-est you can get.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Contrary to your instincts, an archer isn't really a kiting class. Lancer benefits more from kiting since it has a limited hit arc.

100x this. Basically throw all preconceived notions you have about Archers out the window. If you want to play a fast hitting class play something else. If you want to turn your target into a pincushion full of magic arrows then play an archer!

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Archers currently do half the damage of a Sorcerer and are less survivable at the endgame. They really need some attention from the developers.

Anyone try the new raid?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I've done the 10man 3 times by now and it's... meh

Drops abyss gear, really really really easy, only reason to run it is to get a tiny chance at that necklace from supply boxes.

20man is way harder but I haven't attempted it yet. TFT, Terarist and some other groups have cleared it but I'm really not interested in it that much.

Actually only reason to do KN 10man is if you need abyss and have bad masterwork luck (MW chance is significantly higher for KN raid gear)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Any word on what the 20-man offers over the 10-man?

I need more motivation to start playing endgame for real again. That or motivation to grind up a new class.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

I'm enjoying these new cosmetics.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Septimus posted:

Archers currently do half the damage of a Sorcerer and are less survivable at the endgame. They really need some attention from the developers.

Anyone try the new raid?

We're the lowest dps class, but it's not that bad. You can still do everything just fine. The patch buffing archer GPS should come sometimein June.

keeb
Sep 24, 2003
The Shocker
That bums me out since I just made an archer alt and thought wow I'm doing good dps. So Sorcerer is top ranged dps then? What's the best melee dps? Slayer? Warrior? Can you play in battlegrounds before level 60?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Linstar posted:

We're the lowest dps class, but it's not that bad. You can still do everything just fine. The patch buffing archer GPS should come sometimein June.

It would be nice to see the DPS buff this month :) I have more or less mothballed my archer until then.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

keeb posted:

That bums me out since I just made an archer alt and thought wow I'm doing good dps. So Sorcerer is top ranged dps then? What's the best melee dps? Slayer? Warrior? Can you play in battlegrounds before level 60?

Sorcerers are just all around amazing in both PvE and PvP, to the point that the gold value of their endgame gear is substantially higher than many other classes. Going by pure numbers, Berserkers would probably be the strongest melee DPS. In practical terms it's probably Slayers because they have faster attacks and more mobility, and are AFAIK the fastest DPS for MCHM. Battlegrounds are only available at 60 (and totally not worth it), but there should be a new BG in june that is open from level 30 onwards.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Mordaedil posted:

I find archer is pretty good at kiting. For me, it's next to Lancer as the easiest class to solo BAMs with. Well, once you get the Slick glyphs for the charge attacks.

Close quarters has a pretty good chance to stun, and with backstep having an iframe now, it's a breeze.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Tensei posted:

Battlegrounds are only available at 60 (and totally not worth it), but there should be a new BG in june that is open from level 30 onwards.

I tried battlegrounds when I first hit 60 and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I think it could easily be fixed if the matchmaking wasn't so dysfunctional? When you first hit 60 you'll probably show up in Victor's gear and anyone in full Conjunct, even a total idiot will basically wipe their arse with you.

I dueled a full VM archer with Victors and the reality is that you are not even tickling players with that much of a gear advantage. You literally do hundreds of damage to them and they crit you for over 100k (enough to kill my Mystic twice over).

Like Diablo 2 which was also heavily gear dependent, dueling can still be really fun even if its impossible to win, because the combat mechanics in this game are pretty cool. Nevertheless, it doesn't sit well in an objective based team game.

Sometimes one or more of your teammates will take issue with the fact you are wearing +6 Victors. Thats not entirely unjustified because you are a liability but what else can you do when you start out?

They would nearly want to do matchmaking by ilvl range.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 15, 2013

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Get a Fraywind set, in total you are probably only going to spend 30k on it and it will serve you much better than Victor gear. At the very least get the drat weapon for 9k and be able to do some damage to people.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

He's a mystic, he doens't need the Fraywind gloves or weapon. Don't bother buying the Fraywind weapon if you have a +12 t14 one -- it's just as good.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

KaneTW posted:

He's a mystic, he doens't need the Fraywind gloves or weapon. Don't bother buying the Fraywind weapon if you have a +12 t14 one -- it's just as good.

Never mind then... :v:

But seriously, if you are DPS please don't buy Victor gear, everyone will hate you and you will hate yourself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, Archers are boring and are out. I wanted to play something that dodges around a lot, but still does damage. I have attention issues, so it really needs to be actively fun to play.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, Archers are boring and are out. I wanted to play something that dodges around a lot, but still does damage. I have attention issues, so it really needs to be actively fun to play.

The warrior, followed by the slayer, has the most mobile and fast paced combat. The warrior is a hybrid class though. While it can both DPS and tank it does significantly less damage than the slayer.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 15, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The number of skills the Warrior has that are useful for BAM fights are :psyduck:

Sorcerers have this thing that happens to them after level 48 where their DPS rotation has you flying all over the keyboard because it's so long and fast.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Straithate posted:

But seriously, if you are DPS please don't buy Victor gear, everyone will hate you and you will hate yourself.

It should be a disclaimer that pops up on your screen in massive orange text when you smash the solo queue button.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I've been soloing BAMs on my 50 slayer for a bit, which is usually fun and doesn't frequently result in death. However, sometimes the BAMs realize that they'll never kill me with their big dumb telegraphed attacks as they're big and dumb and telegraphed attacks, so they just step on me until I die. This new tactic is extremely effective and I don't know what to do about it. Can I do something about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Dodge Roll.

• Locked thread