Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Dear Satan,

Please speed up time for me so that the next four hours goes by like nothing at all so I can get home and smoke trees and listen to an album by a band I love. Thanks.

Your Loyal Servant,
Cpt. Spring Types, Esq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobb
Sep 20, 2001

LOL@aol.com.net.tv.org.biz.cx

Holy poo poo, Smooth Sailing is so drat funky and perfect.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
http://dewerelddraaitdoor.vara.nl/media/236327 Playing If I Had A Tail live on a Dutch talkshow.
http://pitchfork.com/news/50738-watch-queens-of-the-stone-age-on-jools-holland/ My God Is The Sun & I Sat By The Ocean live on Jools Holland.

Infestasyde
Mar 6, 2004
loving hell. I appear missing is so excellent. Instantly excellent.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
This thing is grimy as gently caress and I love it. It just oozes out of the speakers.

BreakingBadly
Mar 23, 2013
Keep Your Eyes Peeled, jesus, I need a shower after listening to that, brilliant.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

On first listen this has broken my linear regression of enjoyment on each album they have released. Definitely liked this more on first listen than the last 2 albums.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm loving everything I've heard so far. I Sat by the Ocean and I Appear Missing really hit the spot for me especially. I cannot wait until I can listen to this in its entirety.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
his hair :gonk:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Fairweather Friends is amazing :allears:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Leaked three weeks before release. :stare:

Edit: About 2 minutes into Smooth Sailing sounds like it was lifted almost directly from the chorus in the song 'Always' on the Masters of Reality album Pine/Cross Dover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCIAOQrnWSg&t=50s

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 15, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've never been able to pick a definitive favorite QotSA album for years but this one might take the loving cake. Everything sounds incredible and drastically different and more layered, sonically and lyrically, from their past stuff. Catchy poo poo like Sat By The Ocean and I Appear Missing were great but now I'm really loving hyped for Kalopsia and Keep Your Eyes Peeled.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
There's a few tracks that made me go "WHOA" but otherwise this album was a pretty big disappointment to me. Lots of boring tracks with zero hook. Any QOTSA is still a good thing, but a lot of songs just sound like the ones I wanted to skip on Era Vulgaris.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

3:25 on "I Sat By The Ocean"

:catstare:

I am only 4 tracks in and already this is making me more and more excited to hear the rest of the tracks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 16, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's not as solidly rockin as I had hoped, but there's clearly a ton of passion and emotion put into these tracks, and that's just as good for me. Some of these songs are downright beautiful. Not their greatest album, but it's really loving good. So dark and groovy :fap:

Edit: The end of Fairweather Friends is loving awesome.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 16, 2013

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It's not as solidly rockin as I had hoped, but there's clearly a ton of passion and emotion put into these tracks, and that's just as good for me. Some of these songs are downright beautiful. Not their greatest album, but it's really loving good. So dark and groovy :fap:

Yeah- and I want to emphasize, like- whether or not I call it a "disappointment" for myself; Josh is still a loving great songwriter and this is lyrically some of their best. I don't think that part is even a question.

BreakingBadly
Mar 23, 2013
The Vampyre Of Time and Memory is such a beautiful track.

Infestasyde
Mar 6, 2004
I think it certainly already seems like a goodnalbim to me. It doesn't our stay its welcome and it's very dynamic. I think they've gone way more personal than they have done before and then they have peaks with I appear missing and others. I'm really really impressed so far and really am just glad that to me, they're back on my radar. I thought lullabies and ev only really had a handful of good tracks between them. This is a solid, cohesive album when I've always really felt like even on the albums full of bangers, they've been more like collections of songs rather than albums.

(Really not sure about If I Had a Tail, though)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is this files talk if I'm preordered? Because I want to professional my love for this album. It just screams classic to me. HOMMES is like a new age Clapton.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Not feeling it. I love the mood, I just don't like any of the songwriting. Homme's melodies struggle to hold all the disjointed, occasionally awkward, riffs together. His vocals overreach, as they have done on the last few records, and his falsetto and swagger cannot substitute proper melody or texture.

Kind of bummed, considering I love the album's concept and themes so much.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I love it. It's way, way better than Era Vulgaris. I'm not as big of a fan of I Appear Missing as most of you are, but I absolutely love Kalopsia, Smooth Sailing, Keep Your Eyes Peeled and If I Had a Tail. That high-pitched spidery guitar part around 4 minutes into Smooth Sailing is incredible.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

echronorian posted:

HOMMES is like a new age Clapton.

That's an insult to Josh Homme

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Album, start to finish, was phenomenal. Between Like Clockwork and North Borders, I think 2013 is complete for me and I'm not even half way through the year.

Josh Homme nailed it. Album is distinctly his style while being just enough of the "same" and just enough of the "new" to quench my craving from a new release.

Even with no previous QOTSA experience, I can see this being a great album for somebody to get into. For somebody who started back with Kyuss, I may be a bit biased, but I will say that I am happy with the direction Josh Homme's albums are going.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I am disappointed. This is not the same QotSA that I learned how to smoke weed to. The album seems to lack a sense of purpose, and the whole thing seems superfluous.

Also, If I had a Tail is ripping off Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones so loving hard it's not even funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QBAEaw58R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rnxQBizoU

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005

Handen posted:

I am disappointed. This is not the same QotSA that I learned how to smoke weed to. The album seems to lack a sense of purpose, and the whole thing seems superfluous.

Also, If I had a Tail is ripping off Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones so loving hard it's not even funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QBAEaw58R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rnxQBizoU

smoke more weed bro

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

da weed wizard posted:

smoke more weed bro

:350:

I don't even smoke weed anymore and this album is so bad that I wish I still did just so I could be high enough to think it was good.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Handen posted:

I am disappointed. This is not the same QotSA that I learned how to smoke weed to.

How many QOTSA albums have you said that about? The last 3 or 4?

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
I love the album and its atmosphere/mood. I can't understand how people after all this time still expect Qotsa to somehow go back to "stoner rock" or whatever. They've consistently shown to change up their style with every album and I remember reading interviews from around the first album even of Josh rejecting that label.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If I Had a Tail sounds like it would fit right in on Rated R and that's fine by me. I've honestly enjoyed all of Queens' albums for different reasons and I think them changing up their sound is what keeps me coming back.

e: and this includes me bestowing Them Crooked Vultures with the honorary status of Queens of the Stone Age album because hey it's pretty drat close. gently caress i love that album

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Finally home and listening to it on real speakers. I'm enjoying it more than i had dared to hope. Didn't rate TCV at all and although Era Vulgaris had it's moments it never really stuck like QOTSA, Rated R or lullabies... The only way I could be more pleased was if I still smoked weed.

I was following the Daft Punk thread and when it comes to delivering after a long hiatus QOTSA beats them good, not really surprising.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
Holy poo poo, Smooth Sailing is everything great about Era Vulgaris distilled into one song.

Not to draw the obvious comparison too much further, but this really feels like their "In Rainbows". It such a confident record, I think even the people that aren't feeling it would agree with that. I think more confident than Lullabies, maybe even Vulgaris.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I feel like the full version of Kalopsia is the best track on the album.

Fairweather friends, Smooth Sailing, and Keep your eyes peeled are all great too.

Overall the album feels kind of "tame" by QOTSA standards. Not really any memorable guitar riffs or cool solo's(other than My God is the sun I guess), which is odd, considering Josh Homme has written so many good ones over the years. But overall I like the album a lot. I think I just had really high expectations after the long time between albums.

Also I got the Gimme Shelter vibe off "If I had a tail" too. I still like the song though.

If I was one of those cool guys who had a blog where they reviewed albums, I'd give ...Like Clockwork a 7.5 out of 10 I think.

Can't loving wait to see them on tour though.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2013

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I want to live in the 3:48-4:08 section of Smooth Sailing.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would when I heard the early leaks. I think the weakest tracks for me are Keep your eyes peeled and Like clockwork. Everything else is pretty great. I find some songs can feel a little disjointed at times but it actually works well with the feel, mood and atmosphere of the thing. I like that they keep changing things up with every record too. I have a feeling this is gonna be a bit of a grower of an album for some people.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just got my tickets to see them this summer, I could not be more excited. The first time I saw them they were opening up for Rage Against the Machine in Wisconsin.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYZToXuJaM
If I Had A Tail.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I really enjoyed the short for Kalopsia but these animations are honestly getting worse as they come out.

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.

Yodzilla posted:

I really enjoyed the short for Kalopsia but these animations are honestly getting worse as they come out.

Elaborate. Because Kalopsia had the simplest "animation" of any of them so far. Or are you referring more to how they're presented/cut/framed?

I personally think Keep Your Eyes Peeled is the best, from a technical viewpoint.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Stuck at work, but this is making me feel better about my situation. There was so much hype with the website, the videos, the artwork. And I'm happy to say that it lives up to everything, it's just so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

conscript salad posted:

Elaborate. Because Kalopsia had the simplest "animation" of any of them so far. Or are you referring more to how they're presented/cut/framed?

I personally think Keep Your Eyes Peeled is the best, from a technical viewpoint.

I think Kalopsia worked because it was so simple and there isn't much movement. I absolutely detest the motion comic style of animation as it almost always comes off as really lazy and even with the nice art these vignettes are doing little to change my mind. The more action there is in a scene the worse it looks and for something as action packed as a car chase all of the characters' movements were sooooo sloooow.

The song is fine, I'm just an animation snob I guess.

e: it's still miles better than this poo poo

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2013

• Locked thread