Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Fox News Media Darling Ted Nugent decided to write a column about immigration for WND Magazine

Where do you even begin? Indentured Servitude returning to the US of A, anchor babies, ENGLISH ONLY!!

What about English being a requirement, not "ENGLISH ONLY"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why are you still in love with your colonial masters? I thought we declared independence from England :smug:

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Fox News Media Darling Ted Nugent decided to write a column about immigration for WND Magazine

Where do you even begin? Indentured Servitude returning to the US of A, anchor babies, ENGLISH ONLY!!

The most racist thing America's ever done is accomodate non-WASPs?

I wish I could make a good stream-of-consciousness post like this rear end in a top hat can.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Typical Pubbie posted:

That, and there were no rescue forces available in case the pilot had to bail out for some reason. The dude would have to parachute down into the midst of an angry mob. It would take hours for help to get to him.

Didn't Gates say in an interview sometime in the past couple days that given the complete uncertainty about the situation in Libya, in particular with respect to the disposition of Libyan AA equipment, that even if an F-18 had been right around the corner it would have been foolhardy to order such a show of force?

I've never been in the military, but my impression is that while the military can do amazing things in a short period of time under some definitions of "short", in a situation of unexpected occurrences like Libya the internal friction of command responsibilities would preclude anything unorthodox from being decided in a few-hour timespan. Given that there's no way anybody of consequence in the military chain of command wouldn't realize that any sort of reaction to Benghazi would have required a huge amount of back-and-forth with the State department, how could anything possibly have been decided, planned, staged, and implemented within just a few hours?

I'm reminded of the American commander in the old Monty Python "Mr Neutron" who orders all forces placed on "eternal standby".

[edit] I just realized that while "Mr Neutron" always seemed like wildly far-fetched mockery when I was younger, I now realize that it was pretty much spot-on.

emfive fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 14, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What does "amnesty is for losers" even mean? Are poor, lazy people especially in favor of immigration reform?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Good Citizen posted:

Somehow I doubt that would have reduced the casualties considering every single xcom mission ever
Republicans would slash the budget whenever xcom doesn't respond to a terror mission fast enough.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rockopolis posted:

If someone bringsup Benghazi, what should I say?

If it's on Facebook or something, just post goatse. Over and over again. It's exactly as useful as retaliating with facts, but you'll feel better about it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If it's on Facebook or something, just post goatse. Over and over again. It's exactly as useful as retaliating with facts, but you'll feel better about it.

In case you think this is a joke, it really isn't, the answer is just to roll your eyes and walk away without a word unless you feel like trolling a moron. They won't listen, they aren't interested, they just want to yell about obama.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Nugent's intelligence and logic is infuriating. As a liberal I am predictably outraged, outraged I tell you.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

beatlegs posted:

Nugent's intelligence and logic is infuriating. As a liberal I am predictably outraged, outraged I tell you.

Ted Nugent, the American Hero who poo poo himself to get out of the Vietnam War. Mind you, I don't blame anyone for avoiding that war, but it's ironic that Real American Hero (tm) Nugent did so.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

emfive posted:

Didn't Gates say in an interview sometime in the past couple days that given the complete uncertainty about the situation in Libya, in particular with respect to the disposition of Libyan AA equipment, that even if an F-18 had been right around the corner it would have been foolhardy to order such a show of force?

http://blogs.cfr.org/zenko/2013/05/12/robert-gates-on-benghazi-syria-and-americas-biggest-threat/

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Has anyone brought up to him that he said he was going to be dead by now? Whatever happened to that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Radbot posted:

What does "amnesty is for losers" even mean? Are poor, lazy people especially in favor of immigration reform?

They lost by not being born in America.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Naw I think it means that we are at war with illegal immigrants, and amnesty is "peace without honor" and Reagan was Neville Chamberlain, except he wasn't.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fulchrum posted:

Has anyone brought up to him that he said he was going to be dead by now? Whatever happened to that?

Are we talking flatline EKG or EEG? I think he's qualified for one of the two...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

We need a real full-length, undefeatable border fence built. All illegal men in America should be required to work on building the fence, to be completed in one year. We would pay them minimum wage, provide food and shelter, and provide them English and American history classes at night. Everyone wins.

A massive social program that supplies free government jobs, free housing, free food, and free education to illegal immigrants? And everyone wins?? Who the gently caress is this Nugent guy? Sounds like some sort of commie liberal to me.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

MaxxBot posted:

A massive social program that supplies free government jobs, free housing, free food, and free education to illegal immigrants? And everyone wins?? Who the gently caress is this Nugent guy? Sounds like some sort of commie liberal to me.

I'm sure if Nugent and his fans got to design the curriculum, it would just be smug coverage of the Mexican-American war while an aide holds up a picture of the Alamo and shouts "U S A! U S A!"

Which would probably still make it an above-average high school history course.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

The only actual problem with his plan is that it is to build a racist wall to keep the illegals out. everything else about it is a great idea.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I got some bad news for ya, but slavery and involuntary servitude are entirely legal in your country.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 14, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Dead or in jail. But yeah, nobody has brought that up and somebody really should. The guy made a promise.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Crasscrab posted:

Dead or in jail. But yeah, nobody has brought that up and somebody really should. The guy made a promise.

I am 100% certain that has gotten some requests for interviews that he ignored or turned down just so he wouldn't have to own up to the stupid poo poo he said.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

I haven't followed the links, but MMFA has been saying he's doubled down on that promise. And it's "Before the end of his second term" I guess. 3 years to go!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

I haven't followed the links, but MMFA has been saying he's doubled down on that promise. And it's "Before the end of his second term" I guess. 3 years to go!

He said he'd be dead or in jail by this time. Not sure where the "end of second term" thing comes from but that would be more goalpost shifting than doubling down unless you counted merely standing by his altered claim to be doubling down:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/04/09/ted-nugent-doubles-down-on-claim-he-will-be-dea/193547

Ted Nugent posted:

in April 2012 that, "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year."

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
You ever have one of those times when you read something and it takes you about ten minutes to come up with a more coherent response than "what the gently caress"?

Well, you have now!

quote:

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who served in the Bush administration, said Tuesday that the Justice Department is "obligated" to investigate leaks of classified information that may pose a threat to national security. Gonzales, however, declined to elaborate further, noting that the facts of the DOJ's investigation are still emerging.

Gonzales called such probes "fairly unusual," but said they are necessary if information given to journalists relates to "something that is threatening the national security of our country or the lives of American citizens.

"Let's say that a publication runs a story identifying the names of CIA agents overseas," Gonzales told FoxNews.com. "Obviously that's a violation of law and a serious breach of national security. In that case, the department would feel obligated to do everything it possibly could to uncover the leak."

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

That's easy. You just have all your cronies go on TV and claim the agents really weren't covert, that they were just "secretaries".

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The CIA agent blew her own cover by challenging our (false) pretense for a preemptive war!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

It means there are several dissertations waiting to be written on the role of spite and taunts in right-wing rhetoric.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So yesterday a story started making the rounds on the blogs that a St Louis news anchor was being targeted by the IRS after making an interview critical of Obama in April 2012. It wasn't even a good interview, he asked ignorant questions, such as addressing Obama and his wife being "jetted around on Air Force One."

It started when he posted this to his Facebook page

quote:

Shortly after I did my April 2012 interview with President Obama, my wife, friends and some viewers suggested that I might need to watch out for the IRS. I don't accept "conspiracy theories", but I do know that almost immediately after the interview, the IRS started hammering me.

At the time, I dismissed the "co-incidence", but now, I have concerns ... after revelations about the IRS targeting various groups and their members.

Originally, the IRS apologized for red-flagging conservative groups and their members if they had "Tea Party" or "patriot" in their name. Today, there are allegations that the IRS focused on various groups and/or individuals questioning or criticizing government spending, taxes, debt or how the government is run ... any involved in limiting/expanding government, educating on the constitution and bill of rights, or social economic reform/movement.

In that April 2012 interview, I questioned President Obama on several topics: the Buffet Rule, his public remarks about the Supreme Court before the ruling on the Affordable Care Act. I also asked why he wasn't doing more to help Sen. Claire McCaskill who at that time was expected to lose. The Obama interview caught fire and got wide-spread attention because I questioned his spending.

I said some viewers expressed concern, saying they think he's "out of touch" because of his personal and family trips in the midst of our economic crisis. The President's face clearly showed his anger; afterwards, his staff which had been so polite ... suddenly went cold. That's to be expected, and I can deal with that just as I did with President George H. Bush's staff when he didn't like my questions.

Journalistic integrity is of the utmost importance to me. My job is to ask the hard questions, because I believe viewers have a right to be well-informed. I cannot and will not promote anyone's agenda - political or otherwise - at the expense of the reporting the truth.

What I don't like to even consider ... is that because of the Obama interview … the IRS put a target on me.

Can I prove it? At this time, no.

But it is a fact that since that April 2012 interview ... the IRS has been pressuring me.

He airs this apology during last night's news broadcast, although he never updated his facebook page or took down the bullshit post.

In reality, his troubles with the IRS began several years before the interview. Guy's got an $85,000 tax lien for taxes he failed to pay dating back to 2008, 2009, and 2010.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Sharkie posted:

It means there are several dissertations waiting to be written on the role of spite and taunts in right-wing rhetoric.

And the GOP is somehow shocked that they got their asses handed to them this last election.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm not sure if I like right wing media more or less when they smell blood in the water. It's a weird combination of funny and obnoxious when they overplay their hand this hard. The term 'summer of watergate 2.0' is getting thrown around all over the place. Even the more 'moderate' hacks are saying that if the current scandals don't lead to impeachment then the president will become 'irrelevant like Carter after the hostage crisis'. I guess some CNN reporter asked a pointed question during a press briefing so now all of their views are finally so obviously verified that even the mainstream media can't ignore them anymore!

It's this weird, frantic, childish glee that you can hear in all of their voices.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

I'm not sure if I like right wing media more or less when they smell blood in the water. It's a weird combination of funny and obnoxious when they overplay their hand this hard. The term 'summer of watergate 2.0' is getting thrown around all over the place. Even the more 'moderate' hacks are saying that if the current scandals don't lead to impeachment then the president will become 'irrelevant like Carter after the hostage crisis'. I guess some CNN reporter asked a pointed question during a press briefing so now all of their views are finally so obviously verified that even the mainstream media can't ignore them anymore!

It's this weird, frantic, childish glee that you can hear in all of their voices.

I know a lot of you guys love to watch/listen/experience right wing news for laughs but I just can't laugh when its so drat effective at getting people to believe it. Do you guys just look at it from a big picture perspective or something?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

I know a lot of you guys love to watch/listen/experience right wing news for laughs but I just can't laugh when its so drat effective at getting people to believe it. Do you guys just look at it from a big picture perspective or something?

Something something laugh to avoid crying something something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I agree with you. I get more scared than amused most of the time, knowing how many people buy into it hook, line and sinker. I've said it repeatedly through this thread, but I think most liberals who laugh it off underestimate the effect it has on the national discourse.

This IRS thing pisses me off too because it plays perfectly into their "oabam uses taxes as a weapon against freedom" narrative and their ever persistent persecution complex and sense of victimization. This one;s right in their wheelhouse and they;re going to run into the loving ground.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm more optimistic, because what they do to their base constantly seems likely to produce unintended consequences, or diminishing returns at the very least. The GOP is not playing small ball, when they get into the business of keeping thirty million wingers at a never-ending fever pitch. And it's not made of nothing, it's made of raw seething hatred. But even that's not an unlimited resource, and they're eventually going to break these people if they try to play them like a fiddle forever to make up for their platform's basic unpopularity. Like many of you, I believe fervently that the Republicans are basically a bunch of fuckups who should be laughed at before they are feared. So I have to believe that the mass manipulation of so many angry people is going to backfire on them sooner or later.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree with you. I get more scared than amused most of the time, knowing how many people buy into it hook, line and sinker. I've said it repeatedly through this thread, but I think most liberals who laugh it off underestimate the effect it has on the national discourse.

It's hard to explain why I listen to this poo poo. It's not like I'm unaware of the effect it has on people. I don't take joy in it most of the time. I rarely get to point where I even laugh about it while listening.

If I had to compare it to anything I'd say it's like trying to get a peek at a nasty car accident on the highway as you drive by. You know you really don't want to know what's happening and your slowing down to look isn't helping anyone, but there's this sick urge to just observe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good Citizen posted:

It's hard to explain why I listen to this poo poo. It's not like I'm unaware of the effect it has on people. I don't take joy in it most of the time. I rarely get to point where I even laugh about it while listening.

I just like to know ahead of time what the "outrage du jour" is going to be before I get to work the next day and to sort of know the root basis for the talking points I'm bound to find myself rebutting. It's a backwards way of staying informed because I can usually assume that whatever I'm hearing is either wrong or incredibly hyperbolic.

It can be funny at times. Watching them bend over backwards and perform amazing mental gymnastics to tie any bad thing in the news to liberalism can be entertaining, and I do laugh sometimes, thinking that "no one on earth can possibly believe this poo poo." And then they do. They ruin family dinners, elections and parties repeating this dumb crap. Then it's not so loving funny anymore.

Is Ariel Castro a liberal yet? He will be soon. Jody Arias too.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Jody Arias, as much as I hate to say it Travis Alexander kind of had it coming. When you dump a long term girlfriend because she's willing to have sex with you, which proves she's a slut who's not good enough to be in a "real" relationship with you; I don't feel any sympathy for what happens to you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He had it coming! He had it coming! He only had himself to blame, if you'd have been there! If you'd have seen it! I betcha you would have done the same!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Hasters posted:

Speaking of Jody Arias, as much as I hate to say it Travis Alexander kind of had it coming. When you dump a long term girlfriend because she's willing to have sex with you, which proves she's a slut who's not good enough to be in a "real" relationship with you; I don't feel any sympathy for what happens to you.

... Do what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BiggerBoat posted:

He performed abortions on his victims, how could he not be a liberal?