Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I can't stop laughing. Oh god. After 5 pages of "Your taste sucks" "No, you" this was just what I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I know you don't really break eggs this often
I saw your cart was speedin' and it wasn't stoppin'
Here take my coupon sheet and just go ahead and wipe off all the

yolk

Yolk

YOOOOOOOLK!

Edit: I didn't love Fragments of Time at first but it's stuck in my head now. The only thing I don't like about this album is that chances are very low that any of these styles will ever be followed up on. It's like a greatest hits of alt versions of Daft Punk. I want the Fragments of Time electro slide guitar album, I want the Panda Bear beatz album, I desperately want the rest of the sessions with Nile and Pharrell, I want the TRON-esque album where the movie doesn't exist, I want the Paul Williams cybersongwriter musical.....fuuuuck I WANT MOOOOOOOOOORE.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 15, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
It's time to Goat Lucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAT1UmlJ-0

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This album sounds like the soundtrack to The Wiz.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

This album sounds like the soundtrack to The Wiz.

That's way too much praise for this album.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

So is iTunes the only place to stream this from now?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I tried listening to the stream again today and I honestly can't make it through any of the tracks in their entirety. Kept skipping ahead to find something more interesting. It's not that the album is bad... but adjectives like mediocre, lame, and lacking substance definitely come to mind. I like the point a lot of people have said about a group like DP deserving extra scrutiny when they have such a long lag between releases and meanwhile are putting out promotional material where collaborators further propagate the inherent hype and then those are the best adjectives I can think of to describe the end result :(

I think for me it will work best as background music, which is definitely a need that I have in my day-to-day listening but never something I would expect myself to think about DP.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Muck and Mire posted:

Haha I love that quote about the Stardust track, like they got out of the studio and realized it was the best French house track ever and abandoned the project immediately

I laughed my rear end off at that. I always wondered why there was never any more and was very pleasantly surprised to see it pop up on the Alive 2007 album.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
I can't stop laughing

Let's never forget the best goat mashup: http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=0vGtM1Vh7LI&start1=3&video2=VgAXZHMi_ws&start2=0&authorName=Ann+O%27Nymous

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

thathonkey posted:

I tried listening to the stream again today and I honestly can't make it through any of the tracks in their entirety. Kept skipping ahead to find something more interesting. It's not that the album is bad... but adjectives like mediocre, lame, and lacking substance definitely come to mind. I like the point a lot of people have said about a group like DP deserving extra scrutiny when they have such a long lag between releases and meanwhile are putting out promotional material where collaborators further propagate the inherent hype and then those are the best adjectives I can think of to describe the end result :(

I think for me it will work best as background music, which is definitely a need that I have in my day-to-day listening but never something I would expect myself to think about DP.

I found that a lot of songs on the album don't totally grab me at first; it's only about halfway through that they really pick up and have those "whoa" moments. If I hadn't pushed myself to listen to everything in its entirety, I wouldn't have enjoyed it overall. I'm very glad I did :)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm a casual listener when it comes to this type of music, but I dug the album a lot, and it's one of the first I listened to all the way through in a long time. There is definitely a drop off after track 1 though, it recovers later, but yeah.

As someone who may find themselves intrigued by disco (aware this album is debatable and may not be disco whatsoever, but the term is flying around), what are some bands from that era I should check out?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Loving Life Partner posted:

As someone who may find themselves intrigued by disco (aware this album is debatable and may not be disco whatsoever, but the term is flying around), what are some bands from that era I should check out?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nile-Rodgers-presents-Organization-Boxset/dp/B0041T7FS6

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
I made a post in the rec's thread about some of daft punk's influences that has might find useful as well, Loving Life Partner. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=171#post415471873

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

plogo posted:

I made a post in the rec's thread about some of daft punk's influences that has might find useful as well, Loving Life Partner. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=171#post415471873

Great post

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The percussion section at the 3:30 mark of Motherboard is ripped straight out of a Steroid Maximus track I swear to god

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
What is with this trend of awesome electronic or rap groups becoming famous and deciding they need to have lots of guest appearances on their album and mix in completely unrelated genres? It always ends up sounding like crap and coming across as delighting in their celebrity status and having such a huge ego that they think just because they were really great at one genre it means they can do anything well.

Off the top of my head, some groups that did this and released albums way worse than their earlier work:

Gorillaz, Cypress Hill, Prefuse 73, Outkast

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

KingAsmo posted:

What is with this trend of awesome electronic or rap groups becoming famous and deciding they need to have lots of guest appearances on their album and mix in completely unrelated genres? It always ends up sounding like crap and coming across as delighting in their celebrity status and having such a huge ego that they think just because they were really great at one genre it means they can do anything well.

Off the top of my head, some groups that did this and released albums way worse than their earlier work:

Gorillaz, Cypress Hill, Prefuse 73, Outkast

I hope you're talking about Plastic Beach and not Demon Days. Speakerbox/The Love Below is pretty well liked too...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Albeit a departure from other Outkast albums, The Love Below/Speakerboxxx is a really high quality and critically acclaimed album so that comparison probably won't hold up. It did outrage some fanboys when it came out though I'll give you that.

edit: \/\/\/ I dunno, when Big Boi drops "I Like The Way You Move" at a concert people flip the gently caress out and "Hey Ya" is oft-considered to be one of the most infectious pop songs of all time. But this is getting heavily off-topic. You're right, those classic Kast albums will probably have more staying power with Kast fans just because they are the style that made them fans in the first place.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 16, 2013

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
It is already apparent that ATLiens, Aquemini and Stankonia all have more long term appeal than Speakerboxxx / Love Below. I know everyone loved it when it first came out, but people still get excited for Bombs Over Baghdad while Speakerboxxx / Love Below is rarely heard these days because it got old fast.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KingAsmo posted:

Speakerboxxx / Love Below is rarely heard these days because it got old fast.

Are you kidding me? It's not my favorite Outkast album but SpeakerBoxxx / Love Below is one of those albums with singles so huge they made an indelible impact on pop culture.

Hey Ya will be played at weddings and parties for the next few decades. L

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Are you kidding me? It's not my favorite Outkast album but SpeakerBoxxx / Love Below is one of those albums with singles so huge they made an indelible impact on pop culture.

Hey Ya will be played at weddings and parties for the next few decades. L

I disagree, I think if you dropped Hey Ya at a party right now people would think it was stale and played out. If its so influential in popular culture then what are some other songs / albums / genres / groups that couldn't exist without the musical ideas developed in Speakerboxxx / Love Below? This new Daft Punk is the same way, it does nothing to advance the genre of electronic music, and it is worse than the Outkast album because its not even fun to dance to. Are we so unoriginal that we have to remake the music of the 70s without any contemporary contribution? This album sounds like Fleetwood Mack with T-Pain singing on every song. I'm all for revisiting old styles, but at least make it new.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
After listening through it a couple of times, I think this record is more hilarious than anything else. It's really, really cheesy. This is the kind of music that whole Vaporwave "scene" was poking fun at.

But why do I still want to listen to it!? :psyduck:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

KingAsmo posted:

I disagree, I think if you dropped Hey Ya at a party right now people would think it was stale and played out. If its so influential in popular culture then what are some other songs / albums / genres / groups that couldn't exist without the musical ideas developed in Speakerboxxx / Love Below? This new Daft Punk is the same way, it does nothing to advance the genre of electronic music, and it is worse than the Outkast album because its not even fun to dance to. Are we so unoriginal that we have to remake the music of the 70s without any contemporary contribution? This album sounds like Fleetwood Mack with T-Pain singing on every song. I'm all for revisiting old styles, but at least make it new.

You don't go to a lot of parties, do you?

I like the album. It's got good driving tunes.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

You don't go to a lot of parties, do you?

I like the album. It's got good driving tunes.

Sorry Dad, I go to large warehouse parties in Los Angeles pretty much every weekend, and they aren't playing Hey Ya.

KingAsmo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Get out of whatever weird echo chamber you're in then, because that's clearly one of the most beloved songs of the previous decade!

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Get out of whatever weird echo chamber you're in then, because that's clearly one of the most beloved songs of the previous decade!

McDonalds is incredibly popular too, people all over the world who don't care about food will tell you that its great! People that actually care about food know it isn't good, and I suspect people that care a lot about music will recognize that the new Daft Punk is bland as hell.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

KingAsmo posted:

Sorry Dad, I go to large warehouse parties in Los Angeles pretty much every weekend, and they aren't playing Hey Ya.
Hahaha I saw this before editing, you seriously went out of your way to go back and add "Sorry Dad"?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

het posted:

Hahaha I saw this before editing, you seriously went out of your way to go back and add "Sorry Dad"?

Luckily he had time to edit since it's not the weekend.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
I even had enough free time to waste listening to random access memories.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

KingAsmo posted:

McDonalds is incredibly popular too, people all over the world who don't care about food will tell you that its great! People that actually care about food know it isn't good, and I suspect people that care a lot about music will recognize that the new Daft Punk is bland as hell.

I care a lot about music, and I'm pretty loving sure Hey Ya is a choon.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Is the One More Time Daft Punk tribute worth seeing for $16? They are playing near me in August, and I can't really tell from YouTube if they do their own remixes of DP material, or if they just press play on Alive 2007 and wear the costumes for 90 minutes.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

KingAsmo posted:

I am curious to hear what music is being played in these Southern Californian warehouses that is better than Hey Ya.

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

I've been listening to contact again and I had this vision that their next set would open with it and they would just come out of their glistening holo-dodecahedron when the organs kick in, and I got really excited for just a moment. That's all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

KingAsmo posted:

That's really cool. Why are you so intent on discrediting Hey Ya? It isnt going to work dude...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cold Fusion posted:

I've been listening to contact again and I had this vision that their next set would open with it and they would just come out of their glistening holo-dodecahedron when the organs kick in, and I got really excited for just a moment. That's all.

I had the same thought today. It would be nuts.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Let's stop arguing about Hey Ya/Outkast.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I am curious to hear what music is being played in these Southern Californian warehouses that is better than Hey Ya.

I think its a good song, but its ten years old and its not like its the pinnacle of modern music. With all the great new stuff out there I think it wouldn't be as interesting to play something that has already been played so much. Im still not tired of a lot of the earlier Outkast stuff because they weren't trying to mimic a retro sound, they were creating their own sound and making innovative music that push their genre forward. The point I am trying to make is not that Speakerboxxx / Love Below and Random Access Memories sound bad. They sound good. The point is they aren't as innovative or original as the earlier albums by the same groups, and for this reason I am disappointed.

I think Random Access Memories will have a much shorter shelf life than Homework and Discovery, does anyone think it will be the other way around?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

KingAsmo posted:

I think that's your problem. You live in LA.

Think the album is good and will grow on me for sure. One thing I always find funny is when people bitch about "pushing boundaries" like the artist expected to or thought "Yes, this music I am making will be considered advancing music as a whole!"

Music to me isn't about "pushing boundaries". It can obviously happen naturally, to think it's calculated is dumb. With all the electronic music of the past 20 years it gets harder and harder to sound different. A lot of stuff that does sound different sounds pretty lovely too, WHY? Because they are making music a distance away from what was already good in the first place.

I like Fleetwood Mac, I like classic music of all types, I like modern music. So to me good music is the sound of the notes being pleasant to my ears, I don't have to over think about how PROGRESSIVE or SIMILAR it is or isn't. If the tune sounds good, shut the gently caress up and enjoy it.

It's fine if you don't like the album too, but come off it with the pushing boundaries poo poo and just admit you are pissed they didn't make Discovery 2.0.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress this album because I don't foresee an anime movie by Toei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

T Fowl posted:

I think that's your problem. You live in LA.

Think the album is good and will grow on me for sure. One thing I always find funny is when people bitch about "pushing boundaries" like the artist expected to or thought "Yes, this music I am making will be considered advancing music as a whole!"

Music to me isn't about "pushing boundaries". It can obviously happen naturally, to think it's calculated is dumb. With all the electronic music of the past 20 years it gets harder and harder to sound different. A lot of stuff that does sound different sounds pretty lovely too, WHY? Because they are making music a distance away from what was already good in the first place.

I like Fleetwood Mac, I like classic music of all types, I like modern music. So to me good music is the sound of the notes being pleasant to my ears, I don't have to over think about how PROGRESSIVE or SIMILAR it is or isn't. If the tune sounds good, shut the gently caress up and enjoy it.

It's fine if you don't like the album too, but come off it with the pushing boundaries poo poo and just admit you are pissed they didn't make Discovery 2.0.

This is it exactly. I would be fine with a Discrovery 2.0 because all the previous DP stuff sounded really fresh and exciting and this is why everyone was attracted to them. They were really good at making their own unique sound, and another album with a similar sound but new songs would be great.

Instead it seems they were focused on sounding like other people and I think it's really hard to do Fleetwood Mac better than Fleetwood Mac or Brian Eno better than Brian Eno.

I like Fleetwood Mac, but I dont need a fleetwood mac cover band with a vocoder. Chromeo already did that good enough.

• Locked thread