Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

6'4", 200 lbs.

I drank most of a bottle of Sandeman the other night. Then I blacked out around 10 and woke up slumped against the toilet sometime after 1 in the morning. That's too many drinks! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
5'9 350 lbs.

I drank half a case of lovely beer before slathering myself in butter in preparation for my nightly reading of Game of Bones. Midway through jerking it furiously appreciating the literature I passed out from exhaustion/drunkenness.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I don't drink out of respect for ContraCalculus, our resident Utah babby.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
For all the people tossing around 'American Tolkien' in a 'HAHAHAHAHAHA these idiots called this disgusting creepy pedophile/procrastinator/insert one of many other insults here/etc the second coming of the father of modern fantasy' way, I'm pretty sure whoever tossed that out (I know I've also seen it among his critical praise) meant it in terms of his scope. The rest is basically the fact that Tolkien wrote High Fantasy and Gurm writes Low Fantasy (How Low Can You Go Fantasy). It makes a lot more sense as the critic that wrote it also probably didn't spend years on a message board getting more and more embittered over Martin's work and choices, which further undermined their opinion in a vicious cycle.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
To be fair to Gurm, he did very much adhere to the traditional definition of High Fantasy. Call it whatever you want, but Gurm's sex dungeon of a world is rife with background and world building pedophilia, rape, and detailed recipes for banquets.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What's up with the WIC woman? I love reading about terrible people online.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

She refuses to read past the red wedding in asos but is supposed to be some kind of authority on the books, and froths at the mouth whenever the show changes something from them. She's also sexist and racist or something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait, so she's been a long time fan who likes the books enough to have run WIC for ages, and yet she wont read past like halfway through the third book in a five book series?! :psyboom:

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Not WIC, Westeros.org. She didn't read the RW chapters because she is to fragile or something. But it's okay her boyfriend who is also a giant fan told her all about it and she read the summary. :downs:

speeds
Feb 24, 2012

Stupid Newbie

General Bort posted:

Not WIC, Westeros.org. She didn't read the RW chapters because she is to fragile or something. But it's okay her boyfriend who is also a giant fan told her all about it and she read the summary. :downs:

I had a coworker that claimed to be a die hard fan and dropped the series when she got to the RW. Makes me wonder how many fans of the show are going to drop out or lose interest after Robb dies.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Shoehead posted:

Wait, so she's been a long time fan who likes the books enough to have run WIC for ages, and yet she wont read past like halfway through the third book in a five book series?! :psyboom:

Isn't it the Westeros.org lady who hasn't read the 2nd half of ASOS? Or are they the same person.

I believe she and her husband are also authors of a forthcoming ASOIAF compendium/encylopedia. So yeah, someone who hasn't read half of ASOS is co-authoring a book about the series.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

speeds posted:

I had a coworker that claimed to be a die hard fan and dropped the series when she got to the RW. Makes me wonder how many fans of the show are going to drop out or lose interest after Robb dies.

Hopefully a lot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Robb dying is what made me like Storm, man. That'll seperate the wheat from the chaff for sure. Can you deal with Robb Stark getting exactly what he deserves for thinking about his own personal happiness instead of the good of the realm? If not, you're an idiot and you'll quit.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

speeds posted:

That's the exact opposite of a die hard fan.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Well to be honest they're only missing out on half a good book. It's still stupid though, beyond stupid actually to quit reading/watching something because it doesn't fall into your expectations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cornwind Evil posted:

For all the people tossing around 'American Tolkien' in a 'HAHAHAHAHAHA these idiots called this disgusting creepy pedophile/procrastinator/insert one of many other insults here/etc the second coming of the father of modern fantasy' way, I'm pretty sure whoever tossed that out (I know I've also seen it among his critical praise) meant it in terms of his scope. The rest is basically the fact that Tolkien wrote High Fantasy and Gurm writes Low Fantasy (How Low Can You Go Fantasy). It makes a lot more sense as the critic that wrote it also probably didn't spend years on a message board getting more and more embittered over Martin's work and choices, which further undermined their opinion in a vicious cycle.

Son, I don't think you get how this thread works.

poop boner lemoncakes etc.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think they meant it as a criticism of Americans.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

To be honest I've never considered GRRM's scope one of his accomplishments. He's pretty bad at managing stuff at such a scale, and it becomes more obvious as each volume slowly trickles out. It's obvious he's better at smaller scale writing. Plus it is kinda an insult to Tolkien, a guy that invented a world from near scratch and made it almost real. Westeros has never felt super real for me for that reason. I don't know, it just seems to have less life then something Tolkien would of done. Heck, even the Wheel of Time world feels more realized.

Plus calling someone the American/European/Asia ______________ is just stupid in it's own right.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cheering for the Leafs? He truly knows nothing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Most people I know who have read the books don't give a poo poo about the Red Wedding and the characters who die at that bit, it's the fact he fakes out Arya's death in the next chapter that pisses them off.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love the identifying tag on that gif. That poor guy is gonna be haunted by "knows nothing" jokes his whole life.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Toronto is a cancer. Look at poor Kit Harrington, wearing that jersey. He goes there to film a single Silent Hill movie and it hosed him up so bad he's now rooting for the league's perpetual joke team.

At least take a stand and root for the Minnesota Wild like I do, Kit. They're a loser team, but they got a sweet fuckin' logo. It's an animal and a wilderness scene!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you root for anything but the Bruins you're a terrible person.

Except for the Habs. Habs fans get a pass for being the NHL's polite version of soccer hooligans.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What are the words of House Bruins, dear Glistening Hodor?

House Penguins: Though All Men Do Despise Us. Because seriously, we are not well-loved outside of Pittsburgh, this season. We're like the Yankees of the NHL right now.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 15, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

House Senators

Their words are "gently caress TORONTO SO HARD, GOD"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

my cat is norris posted:

What are the words of House Bruins, dear Glistening Hodor?

House Penguins: Though All Men Do Despise Us. Because seriously, we are not well-loved outside of Pittsburgh, this season. We're like the Yankees of the NHL right now.

It's amazing how well loved the Steelers are compared to the Penguins.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fog Tripper posted:

It's amazing how well loved the Steelers are compared to the Penguins.

I understand why our football love has spread far and wide.

You'll find Penguins fans in strange places, but not to nearly the same number or intensity. Maybe hockey fandoms are just more intensely localized overall? :iiam:

House Habs: I Have No Rivals...for I am poo poo and can't compete to save my own life.

I've just been trying to pick and choose from http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Heraldry/Mottoes/ although I do really like that Senators motto. :allears:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2013

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

I understand why our football love has spread far and wide.

I don't, but then I'm forced to be an Eagles fan. Please explain?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Can you deal with Robb Stark getting exactly what he deserves for thinking about his own personal happiness instead of the good of the realm?

Two things have always gotten me about this

1) Its rarely taken into account Robb's circumstances. When Robb died, HE WAS SIXTEEN YEARS OLD. SIXTEEN. Even IF we discount the likely 'mature faster in a society like Westeros' aspect and the 'raised to be a lord' aspect, we still have a CHILD, more or less, thrust into position of being 'King In The North' and being forced to sink or swim. How smart, capable, and worldy were YOU at sixteen? Not to mention the whole reason he ended up with a non-Frey wife in the books was because he'd been wounded and had just heard Theon, supposedly one of his best friends, had betrayed him and murdered his brothers, driving him into a state of anguish that Jeyne comforted him in (Yes, perhaps SHE took advantage, but again, that's hardly Robb's fault: let's see how alert and aware you are when you're grieving over something). Robb died less due to putting his happiness first and more that he was handed an ENORMOUS amount of responsibility and grief as the entire realm collapsed into a war whose like had not been seen in centuries, if ever, and unlike his father Ned, he has the excuse of being a child. He tried, he failed. Hell, Robb was as much trapped by plot as anything: would it have made sense for him to organically go "My father's ways got him killed! I shall be his opposite!" And speaking of plot...

2) The Red Wedding, to me, has always had this nasty undercurrent that I think more than a few quitters have picked up on: That under its appearance as the inevitable result of Robb's arc (making the same mistakes as his father and suffering the same fate) is this snickering neckbeard glee of 'Bet you thought TRADITIONAL things were gonna happen with Robb! Well SCREW YOU, SUBVERTED!' Nerd-types can have this issue where they consume so much entertainment they become overstimulated, and as a result they can start viewing traditional, classic storytelling methods with contempt (they're too familiar with it). Martin has a LOT of this in his work: in the earlier books it mostly worked for his benefit (Ned's death), but I think he may have over-reached with the Red Wedding: it seemed to happen as much due to plot as because Martin wanted to be REALISTIC and DARK and all those other words. What these types don't realize is that just because they're bored with tradition doesn't mean everyone else is, and while tradition shouldn't dictate what you want to write, it should always be taken into account and given a measure of respect. Writing to try and surprise a reader and defy their expectations is one thing; writing to purposely throw their expectations in their faces to spite their 'boring, less consuming of entertainment' mindsets is something else entirely, and I really think that's what Gurm did on some level.

Rarity posted:

Son, I don't think you get how this thread works.

poop boner lemoncakes etc.

I know how this thread works. I also think it's gazed into the Gurm abyss so long that it's starting to forget how it works.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 15, 2013

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't, but then I'm forced to be an Eagles fan. Please explain?

Steel industry was huge then fell apart, casting families far and wide. Steelers fandom is forever, so with the fans went their disease, to be implanted in other cities across the country where it took root and spread like a vile infection.

I have the sickness, too. Someday, I will carry it with me to some other far-off place, where I will find my kin and bolster their numbers. The Steelers Nation is strong.

Didn't Robb know what he was doing? Wasn't he aware that his marriage had serious consequences, and didn't he go through with it anyway, for purely selfish reasons? Because it is selfish to speak about the preservation of personal honor when the realm is at stake. That's one of the flaws that's always stuck in my throat about Ned, and you would think that Robb could have learned from Ned's mistakes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You fuckers get more like the big man himself every day. What's all this sports chat?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Shoehead posted:

You fuckers get more like the big man himself every day. What's all this sports chat?

A GLISTENING HODOR is actually GRRM in disguise.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I write much less creepy sex scenes, thank you. :colbert:

Now back to sports chat. :circlefap:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I know how this thread works. I also think it's gazed into the Gurm abyss so long that it's starting to forget how it works.

Or maybe a lot of people here have been discussing the exact same things for a decade plus and understandably don't have the same gusto for doing it again?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Hell, Robb was as much trapped by plot as anything: would it have made sense for him to organically go "My father's ways got him killed! I shall be his opposite!" And speaking of plot...

This is not being trapped by plot. This is being trapped by characterization. Robb is repeatedly held up as being Just Like Dad. Unfortunately for him, what is one thing everyone knows Eddard Stark did? Bang some chick while away at war. Turned out okay for Dad, so Robb bangs some chick while away at war. But Robb is also really stupid and his sense of honour compels him to marry that woman, neverminding he was already promised to a Frey girl as payment for crossing the Twins. This is how Robb's characterization gets him killed, because he is His Father's Son. His honour gets his head lopped off, just like daddy.

Someone who's trapped by the plot in this series would be Ned, actually. Ned had to die to spark off the war. If he'd just been held hostage (or indeed never gone south at all), none of this would be happening.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
House Canadiens. Sigil: A strange CH. Words: Ostie de tabarnack we lost the series again.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nine of Eight posted:

House Canadiens. Sigil: A strange CH. Words: Ostie de tabarnack we lost the series again.

:golfclap:

Well done.

I agree with your commentary, Tyshalle. To your second point, Cornwind, there may have been a grain of 'must upend all expectations' to Robb's death, but...I think that it stands up to examination as being an event that Makes Sense. It sucks, sure, and you can point to it as a big example of what makes this series different from other fantasy series, but it's also a fitting conclusion to his story.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 16, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I do see an inordinate amount of Steelers crap on cars around DC. Probably more than Redskins crap even.

Ravens fans are the Miami drag queens of car football decor though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Or maybe a lot of people here have been discussing the exact same things for a decade plus and understandably don't have the same gusto for doing it again?

Maybe so, but sometimes I get the sense that this thread's been the Bad Thread for so long that it's losing its gusto for being the Bad Thread and is just sort of becoming...I dunno, the Nipples On A Breastplate thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Joffrey Bartaheon Pucapab