Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

David Taylor just won his match with a fall snapped his opponent down and caught him as he tried to sit out

BURROUGHS TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I know Iran has a really strong wrestling program, how good was the guy Dake fought?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I know Iran has a really strong wrestling program, how good was the guy Dake fought?

He wrestled Hasan Tahmasebi who is 31 years old and took second in the 2005 and 2007 World Cups. He might be a bit past his prime but he is certainly not an easy out.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6sAHJ09b5M

And here is Taylor's pin of the reigning world junior freestyle champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gg3FAhdc1A

e:

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 16, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

I was laughing my rear end off when this happened.

Also someone please post some Jordan Burroughs gifs because he did some awesome stuff

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ch3cooh posted:

He wrestled Hasan Tahmasebi who is 31 years old and took second in the 2005 and 2007 World Cups. He might be a bit past his prime but he is certainly not an easy out.
Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6sAHJ09b5M

I'm retarded, how did Dake win the first tie breaker? Was that exporsure?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Lost For Words posted:

I'm retarded, how did Dake win the first tie breaker? Was that exporsure?

Yes

E: That's a 3 point move!

Get..the...gently caress..back...aw hell I'll take my pushout

E2: Oh and Burroughs said in an interview after that he had a molar knocked out during the match. And he just kept attacking like nothing happened. Dude is whatever the next level above beast is

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 17, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Just look at how loving cool this is, how can they think of getting rid of it?

There was one other double that he had that was cool too if you can find it (I have no idea where you are getting these).

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

Yes

E: That's a 3 point move!

Would anyone mind breaking this down? I've been given to understand that you can't just shoot in without doing something to clear their arms out of the way (either distracting/faking them out or physically clearing them or whatever), or they can just block you easily. Here it looks like his first shot gets stuffed for exactly that reason, but then he just blows through the resistance and does it anyway. Of course that would be a great oversimplification of the technique involved even if it were true, but surely it can't be true?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Looks to me like Red leotard was about to try to transition and Blue leotard caught him just as he started and snagged the leg and powered through.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

Would anyone mind breaking this down? I've been given to understand that you can't just shoot in without doing something to clear their arms out of the way (either distracting/faking them out or physically clearing them or whatever), or they can just block you easily. Here it looks like his first shot gets stuffed for exactly that reason, but then he just blows through the resistance and does it anyway. Of course that would be a great oversimplification of the technique involved even if it were true, but surely it can't be true?

As Khubetzy goes for the underhook, Burroughs gets his hands behind Khubetzy's knees and establishes almost picture perfect head position. He keeps his head up and his back straight and just drives through it.

It's also a bit like this guy in that some people are just such freaks that a lot of the normal rules just don't apply.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

McNerd posted:

If you look carefully, his initial shot is stuffed, but his opponent makes two minor mistakes afterwards - 1) he lets him get an underhook with his right arm, and 2) he goes to his knees rather than remaining sprawled. That lets him get both arms behind his opponents knees as he explodes forward and drives through.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks everyone! I'd wondered about Khubetsy going to his knees but it sounded too much like a newbie mistake to be right. I'll definitely have to try this head positioning/posture advice as I tend to have a lot of trouble finishing even easy takedowns from positions like this. And I'll bet it's because I'm more worried about defending my neck from chokes than about using my head offensively.

Edit: From what I can tell, the proper head position is as high up in the center of opponent's chest as you can get without actually losing contact or compromising your posture (if that's an issue)? Because you're maximizing the length of the lever arm between the contact points on your hands and head?

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 17, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

A choke would have been very hard to pull off there. Burroughs has head up with is forehead right in the center of Khubetzy's chest. With his head up back straight it would be nigh impossible to push his head down into the armpit to set up a guillotine. If Burroughs had his head down with the crown of his head in the chest it would much easier. It's a lot like being on top in guard. Back straight, chin up makes it very difficult to break posture. But if you are looking down at your opponent it's almost impossible to keep your posture.

The other thing that Burroughs does arguably better than anyone else is that he keeps driving and powering with his legs. He never gives up his forward momentum he continuously adds to it. You can see it in the takedowns from his gold medal match in London.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Grappler's Quest just put up the finish of the Lister/Cyborg superfight from last summer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8XjYZVYXzs&hd=1

It turns out hanging out in 50/50 guard with Dean Lister is a bad idea.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Grappler's Quest just put up the finish of the Lister/Cyborg superfight from last summer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8XjYZVYXzs&hd=1

It turns out hanging out in 50/50 guard with Dean Lister is a bad idea.

Unfortunately that's not Cyborg(because I now take great joy in seeing him lose) it's Ricardo "Demente" Abreu who's still really good in his own right(back to back silvers at the worlds loosing to Roger).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Oh wow, I totally didn't realize it wasn't Cyborg, which was pretty dumb of me since they're relatively distinct looking.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

A choke would have been very hard to pull off there. Burroughs has head up with is forehead right in the center of Khubetzy's chest. With his head up back straight it would be nigh impossible to push his head down into the armpit to set up a guillotine. If Burroughs had his head down with the crown of his head in the chest it would much easier.
If anything I'm imagining something like an ezekiel. Or this one choke Daniel Gracie teaches, which I don't know the name of, where from a Thai clinch you slip one forearm down across their throat and grab your biceps.

But that said, no doubt I'm being wholly irrational in worrying so much about this which is probably my issue.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

dokomoy posted:

Unfortunately that's not Cyborg(because I now take great joy in seeing him lose) it's Ricardo "Demente" Abreu who's still really good in his own right(back to back silvers at the worlds loosing to Roger).
I am at this moment sitting about 50 feet from cyborg, he seems very nice

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What's the problem with Cyborg? A friend of mine actually flies down to Florida once a year to train at his gym and cannot say enough good things.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

If anything I'm imagining something like an ezekiel. Or this one choke Daniel Gracie teaches, which I don't know the name of, where from a Thai clinch you slip one forearm down across their throat and grab your biceps.

But that said, no doubt I'm being wholly irrational in worrying so much about this which is probably my issue.

If you're hitting that strong of a double and your opponent has the timing, skill, and presence of mind to go from defending the takedown to sinking an Ezekiel in a split second like that, tip your hat to him and shake his hand. You probably weren't going to beat him anyway.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I used to be a huge Cyborg fan(and I still really like his Jiu Jitsu) but talking to people/watching Cyborg at various tournaments last year changed my opinion of him entirely. The first thing(and this is bad but maybe not god awful) was talking to a former Cyborg student who told me about what happened after he lost a match. Basically, Cyborg told him that if he didn't win his next match that he shouldn't bother showing up to the academy(or maybe that he was going to kick him out, something like that). That guy ended up losing the match and while he didn't end up getting kicked out of the gym he told us that Cyborg didn't speak to him for like a week.

The main thing though was an incident from last years Nogi Worlds. One of Cyborg's blue belts lost in the finals in what I remember being a pretty close match and Cyborg just lit into him. The kid was already heartbroken when the match ended by Cyborg just started screaming at him and he went on and on forever(a couple of my teammates were competing on an adjacent mat and at least 3-4 matches happened between when Cyborg started and stopped yelling) . I don't have a clue what Cyborg told him(he was yelling at him in Portuguese) so I asked one of my teammates if anything Cyborg said was meant to be encouraging and he said no. That kid was just destroyed at the end he was lying down as Cyborg was going on and he just laid there forever until another one of his teammates came to try to encourage him.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
That's pretty lovely behaviour. It's not as if you need help feeling any worse after getting your rear end handed to you in competition. I've not seen anyone act like that since I played childrens soccer, where sportsdads occasionally lost their poo poo when the little duder they were vicariously living the sports dream through, failed to live up to their retarded expectations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cross posting this in the A&T thread, but there's a seminar not far from me being done by Ratinho Octavio Couto this weekend, has anyone gone to his seminars before?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Just had my first comp and now Im hooked, but I really wanna work on my weaknesses. First and biggest is my standup, because none of the schools I trained out of had/has dedicated standup/takedown classes or time set aside for it (on open mats I plan on using that time for that when I can). I really wanna get good at takedowns, as I think Im a good guard passer. In fact, Im fine with even having a good enough standup game just to force the guy to pull guard because I still would rather be ontop. So, Im looking at cross training. If you were to crosstrain for standup, for BJJ gi and no-gi, would it be better to crosstrain in Wrestling and really drill and hammer good single's and double legs etc., or go for Judo and learn better trips and throws etc.? I like the idea of training Wrestling style better because of its translation into no-gi standup, and we do a little bit of judo now and then in our BJJ class. Good idea? Im a whitebelt btw, but I hate the common whitebelt suggestions of pulling guard.

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 21, 2013

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Wrestling shots will be suicidal if you're wearing a gi and your opponent has good Judo- those gi grips will let them pin you down as soon as you start the motion, and they probably won't even need to stop and sprawl, they'll just hop right into chokes/turnovers while you're still trying to get close enough to grab something. Grappling in pajamas is a whole different world.

That said, you aren't learning Judo in your BJJ classes (and unless your instructor is a Judo bb, it's really rude for him to claim otherwise), and you won't learn Judo by trying to selfteach during an open mat. You may be able to figure out the basic mechanics of some Judo throws, but that's barely scratching the surface of the art, and you'll probably create a bunch of bad habits in the process. It's like saying you know boxing because you've figured out that you can hit things with your fists.

Wrestling might be easier to self-teach, I don't know.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 21, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

CivilDisobedience posted:

Wrestling might be easier to self-teach, I don't know.

Eh, I've tried and I'll say it's not any easier.

If you're competing in gi you should consider Judo, no gi and you should consider wrestling imo. Alternatively if you don't mind being on the bottom just learn how to crabwalk and butt-scoot.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Novum posted:

Eh, I've tried and I'll say it's not any easier.

If you're competing in gi you should consider Judo, no gi and you should consider wrestling imo. Alternatively if you don't mind being on the bottom just learn how to crabwalk and butt-scoot.

I would second this since you want to focus on your standup game. With the gi, a lot of wrestling take downs are much harder to do since not only does the gi slow you down but it also gives your opponent something to grab. As an ok former high school wrestler I mainly stick with single legs with the very occasion fireman's carry at the white belt level for bjj. I started taking a judo class that my gym offered and it helped my gi standup a ton by just learning basic judo grip patterns and how to break them. Just with the knowledge of grip patterns I was able to frustrate a significantly better wrestler while we rolled with the gi.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jordan Burroughs says "Sit your Russki rear end down so I can get a techfall"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Crossposting from the UFC thread -

This is a long and interesting interview with Dave Camarillo where he talks about Ronda Rousey in terms of technique, and also digresses into wrestling vs judo vs BJJ as applied to MMA.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Very interesting discussion fdog, thanks for bringing it up!

I felt like Dave danced around some important points, like the fact that the "bully your way in for a forward throw and then arm bar" strategy that RR uses is sort of like the Judo equivalent of the "scissor sweep from guard" in BJJ, where you teach it to noobs thinking, "I know it's not really that simple, but everyone's gotta start somewhere..." Real Judo is just as cerebral, creative and technical as real BJJ, even on the ground, but Rousey doesn't need to flow like Kashiwazaki or think like Kasparov if her opponents are still being overwhelmed by her aggressive energy alone.

I was kind of disappointed in his response to the "wrestling beats Judo" nonsense too. Sure, Judoka don't practice sprawling, but wrestlers don't practice submissions- both would have to pull from outside their discipline to stand a chance. And really, it's still a very predictable match: the wrestler sees the Judoka standing straight up and shoots a double, the Judoka bases out and uses his gi to secure a clock choke, the wrestler tries to drive through and finish the takedown, then wakes up a couple minutes later wondering what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

I was kind of disappointed in his response to the "wrestling beats Judo" nonsense too. Sure, Judoka don't practice sprawling, but wrestlers don't practice submissions- both would have to pull from outside their discipline to stand a chance. And really, it's still a very predictable match: the wrestler sees the Judoka standing straight up and shoots a double, the Judoka bases out and uses his gi to secure a clock choke, the wrestler tries to drive through and finish the takedown, then wakes up a couple minutes later wondering what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.

Since the context of the article was MMA, how does a gi figure into how a wrestler vs. Judoka would do in a fight?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

And really, it's still a very predictable match: the wrestler sees the Judoka standing straight up and shoots a double, the Judoka bases out and uses his gi to secure a clock choke, the wrestler tries to drive through and finish the takedown, then wakes up a couple minutes later wondering what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.

Why is a wrestler wearing a gi for someone to clock choke him with and why does paper defeat rock? It's a rock?!?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? Common sense should tell you that the wrestler isn't the one wearing a gi in that scenario...

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 2, 2013

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? The wrestler probably isn't the one wearing a gi in that (incredibly common) scenario...

Are you? The context was MMA, no one is wearing a gi.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? The wrestler probably isn't the one wearing a gi in that (incredibly common) scenario...

Well, since the context is MMA, who exactly is wearing the gi?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
What makes you think a Judoka wouldn't wear their gi in MMA?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Pride died years ago, you know.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Because you can't wear a gi in loving MMA, you twit.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
You should really stop using "MMA" to mean "the UFC" buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yuriy posted:

Because you can't wear a gi in loving MMA, you twit.

Never forget!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfqm4p-YseQ

:japan: