Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Good to know it's going to be more like Pitch Black than the stupid bullshit that was Chronicles of Riddick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Good to know it's going to be more like Pitch Black than the stupid bullshit that was Chronicles of Riddick.

You can go ahead and go straight to the Underverse.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy hell, that was unbelievably badass.

edit: vvv Yeah, I'm curious about this too... I mean, where's Karl Urban? I thought he was returning?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 15, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So where does this movie fit in the... Riddickverse?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mierenneuker posted:

So where does this movie fit in the... Riddickverse?

Chronologically, it's after Chronicles of Riddick - which is still canon - but they tie up some loose ends from CoR and return to a setting more similar to Pitch Black.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Why is Riddick stranded on some backwater planet, again?

Isn't he Lord Marshal of the Necromongers, now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

That's going to be explained.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Or IS he? :crossarms:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

*dramatic musical upswing*

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vagabundo posted:

It looks like it'll be exactly like Pitch Black. It's a shame, I really enjoyed (conceptually that is, Chronicles was a lousy film) the franchise moving from a taut action film into a sprawling space opera. It was just so inexplicable.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.

This looks beautifully 80's. Well, not in terms of it's aestehtic look, but in terms of tone. If that's a dumb comment it's probably because I haven't seen the other Riddick films though. For shame.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
That trailer made it look almost identical to Pitch Black. I mean I liked Pitch Black, but I'm not sure I have to see the exact same movie again.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Good job, Internet, all your cries that Chronicles weren't Pitch Black have been heard! At least they did not listen to gamers, the previous one already was a a prison movie.

Riddick is Space Conan, his stories should fit every adventure template, not retell the same story.

That said, cautiously hyped.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
For a film with a $38 million budget, it looks pretty sweeping.

I'll see it for the cute Space German Shepherd that Riddick befriends.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Chronicles of Riddick owns and is a really cool Conan-style D&D adventure put to screen! Put aside your cynicism gentlemen, today is the age of enjoyment

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Vin even agreed to do this one for scale just to get it greenlit. :(

All the cynics should be ashamed.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey have you had your fill of Pacific Rim footage yet OF COURSE NOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It does look like a bit of a retread of Pitch Black but I kind of loved Pitch Black so I'm not sure I'm bothered by this. I'm curious to see what the Necromongers roles are in this though. I know Urban is in it but I didn't spot him in the trailer, only some generic Necromonger guy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sure hope that they evacuated most of the cities that they dropped the Jaegers in.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Here dear, have some more space! :yum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbw9hlBnG74

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They were warned three years ago not to attempt landing on Europa! :argh:

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
I don't understand why there's this glut of awesome looking sci-fi movies coming out soon, and I don't care. I'm just gonna enjoy it while I can.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

This looks like it's been influenced heavily by Apollo 18. As someone who liked that movie, that makes me tingly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slashrat posted:

This looks like it's been influenced heavily by Apollo 18. As someone who liked that movie, that makes me tingly.

I fuckin' loved Apollo 18, so I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think its kind of weird how the first part of the trailer makes a big deal about how realistic it is, then MONSTERS.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slashrat posted:

It's weird how Apollo 18 was savaged before even premiering (I haven't seen it but don't hate its premise) for having the same things that this movie has. I suppose it's because the Apollo missions actually happened. io9 which has two separate quotes in that trailer has been pushing Europa as a candidate for alien life for years so it might just be because of the connotations of the destination amongst sci-fi fans (plus 2010 references).

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 20, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

2001 + Apollo 13 + Prometheus

:allears:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Corek posted:

It's weird how Apollo 18 was savaged before even premiering (I haven't seen it but don't hate its premise) for having the same things that this movie has. I suppose it's because the Apollo missions actually happened. io9 which has two separate quotes in that trailer has been pushing Europa as a candidate for alien life for years so it might just be because of the connotations of the destination amongst sci-fi fans (plus 2010 references).

I'm fairly sure it was savaged because of the big twist halfway through the movie and also the ending. They're both really bad. If Europa has the same sort of thing going on it is going to get the same treatment. I doubt it will since Apollo 18's ending is only possible in a found footage movie, and is also the absolute worst ending a found footage film could possibly have. Europa doesn't seem to be a found footage movie so it'll avoid that particular pitfall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone with no interest in ever seeing the movie what was the twist/ending in Apollo 18?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

muscles like this? posted:

As someone with no interest in ever seeing the movie what was the twist/ending in Apollo 18?

As I recall, the ending was parts of the moon's landscape were monsters and they kill everyone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think its kind of weird how the first part of the trailer makes a big deal about how realistic it is, then MONSTERS.

To be fair, one of the movies it said it's as realistic as was 2001: A Space Odyssey. And that a Starchild.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

As I recall, the ending was parts of the moon's landscape were monsters and they kill everyone.

The official term was Moonsters.

Also, Harvey Weinstein thought they landed on the moon too easily and wanted there to be a storm that made it difficult to land. A storm on the moon.

:ughh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I went to see Star Trek we got a trailer for Anchorman 2 but for some reason its pretty much a retread of the first one. You'd think they'd have something with a little more substance by now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

That's the big twist, but not the ending. The ending is all the footage (of the found footage film, in other words the footage you are watching) was either destroyed or rendered unrecoverable. There is absolutely no possible way for that footage to have made its way to Earth and be assembled into a movie.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

When I went to see Star Trek we got a trailer for Anchorman 2 but for some reason its pretty much a retread of the first one. You'd think they'd have something with a little more substance by now.

The first one had substance? I always felt that it was massively overrated.
But, it might also be that by the time I finally saw it, I had every joke and scene spoiled for me 10x over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TTBF posted:

That's the big twist, but not the ending. The ending is all the footage (of the found footage film, in other words the footage you are watching) was either destroyed or rendered unrecoverable. There is absolutely no possible way for that footage to have made its way to Earth and be assembled into a movie.

Who's to say that it did? We could be watching the aliens' holiday video. "Look, here's that nice couple we met in the Sea of Tranquility ... how did we kill them again, G'hrarg?"

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Corek posted:

I'm sure that part of that was that Apollo 18 sort of tried to do the Blair Witch thing by pretending to be footage from a "secret mission to the moon." Except that the premise is completely ridiculous. The liftoff of a Saturn V can be seen from hundreds of miles away, and detected by seismographs thousands of miles away. Plus the Soviets could easily track American spacecraft, and I'm sure there were independent facilities that could do that as well. So it would be slightly difficult to keep something like that a secret.

From the trailer, Europa Report is either set in the future or a District 9 style alternate history. So it never asks the audience to believe that the events of the film "really happened."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

INH5 posted:

I'm sure that part of that was that Apollo 18 sort of tried to do the Blair Witch thing by pretending to be footage from a "secret mission to the moon." Except that the premise is completely ridiculous. The liftoff of a Saturn V can be seen from hundreds of miles away, and detected by seismographs thousands of miles away. Plus the Soviets could easily track American spacecraft, and I'm sure there were independent facilities that could do that as well. So it would be slightly difficult to keep something like that a secret.

Although in the movie, the launch is disguised as an unmanned Saturn mission, like Skylab. Also, the Soviets knew about it the whole time, since 18 was reactivated because a Soviet lunar landing met with disaster.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Byzantine posted:

Although in the movie, the launch is disguised as an unmanned Saturn mission, like Skylab. Also, the Soviets knew about it the whole time, since 18 was reactivated because a Soviet lunar landing met with disaster.

Well, I guess that makes a bit more sense. Though it still can't work as a "secret history," because we know that the only Saturn launch after Apollo 17 was Skylab, which obviously wasn't a secret moon mission.

Also, did the movie bother to provide a reason why the Soviets kept the fact that their space program had caught up with NASA a secret, even before things went bad?

Still, if the marketing hadn't tried the Blair Witch "this movie really happened" schtick, I would have found it a lot easier to swallow. I still cringe at the "there's a reason we never went back" tagline.

On topic: The Europa Report trailer looks pretty awesome. I really liked the look of the spacecraft and technical stuff. Reminds me a lot of real space footage. Also, I love the way the probe/helmet cam feed at 1:06 has a noticably lower frame rate, presumably for bandwidth reasons. That really shows good attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, there are some theories that the Soviets actually sent up people before Gagarin, they just all died so it was hushed up.

• Locked thread