Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NESguerilla posted:

I cannot find the goddamn church for the life of me.

Yeah the game is very poorly designed in some parts, making a lot more frustrating than fun at times. I wish more of the game was spent in the metro tunnels and less time spend in the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I cannot find the goddamn church for the life of me. This part is horrible. I am at a checkpoint with no air and no filters meaning I have about 1 minute to live and every time I try to go to the church the little arrow just seems like it's being wonky. I don't know if I should just restart the chapter or what.

I had the same issue. Eventually I got cornered by mutants and fell into the water by accident, and when I clawed my way back up to the surface I was at the exit. I have no idea why. I think the game just took pity on me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ethanol posted:

Any word at all on when the AMD issues will be fixed? I hope we're not looking at a long wait, the game is unplayable in this state for me.

Put it in DX9 mode and it's playable, unless you really just want to wait until you have DX11. The tessellation and stuff is amazingly well done(much like the first game) but it's no reason to miss out on the game, in my view.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ervin K posted:

Yeah the game is very poorly designed in some parts, making a lot more frustrating than fun at times. I wish more of the game was spent in the metro tunnels and less time spend in the swamp.

I just realized that I physically don't have enough time to kill that monster and get over to the other side even if I restart the chapter. I think I am literally hosed unless I go back like 5 hours and conserve filters because I really don't see any other way to beat this.

I also literally cannot figure out how to equip military grade ammo on the xbox. I've hit every button in the inventory and nothing seems to switch it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ethanol posted:

Any word at all on when the AMD issues will be fixed? I hope we're not looking at a long wait, the game is unplayable in this state for me.

Drivers should be soon, can't see AMD not letting this go. I do remember hearing (I think on Guru3d?) about it not being a driver issue, but a game issue. So we wait for a patch. Its Tomb Raider all over again.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I just realized that I physically don't have enough time to kill that monster and get over to the other side even if I restart the chapter. I think I am literally hosed unless I go back like 5 hours and conserve filters because I really don't see any other way to beat this.

I also literally cannot figure out how to equip military grade ammo on the xbox. I've hit every button in the inventory and nothing seems to switch it.

In metro 2033 the way you would deal with not having enough filters you would take off your mask for a couple seconds and then put it back on for a couple. I haven't tried it but I would assume it still works in Last Light. Maybe try doing that? I know it would make fighting awful but its better than losing 5 hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skuzal posted:

In metro 2033 the way you would deal with not having enough filters you would take off your mask for a couple seconds and then put it back on for a couple. I haven't tried it but I would assume it still works in Last Light. Maybe try doing that? I know it would make fighting awful but its better than losing 5 hours.

You can't do that anymore. It just reds out the gas mask.

I did actually end up beating it by finding an extra filter but in the end I think it took over a dozen tries. Sheesh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 15, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Drivers should be soon, can't see AMD not letting this go. I do remember hearing (I think on Guru3d?) about it not being a driver issue, but a game issue. So we wait for a patch. Its Tomb Raider all over again.

Yeah, it's pretty awful. Finally get it to load past the ladder and then like 20 minutes later I get nightvision goggles. I turn them on and immediate BSOD

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo, is there any way to get the night vision goggles if you miss them in the swamp? I didn't have time to get them and beat the area.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I do remember seeing goggles again in a later level.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

These dudes are heroes for putting together a game like this under those conditions. This is a GOTY candidate.

Regardless of any opinions that one has on how this game plays, it would be really hard to honestly argue that this isn't one of the best looking games ever made (at least on a technical level) The fact that this was accomplished by a relatively small studio in such sub-optimal conditions is pretty remarkable.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I did have a chuckle when you are told that Pavel's last name is Morozov right after he betrays you. Pavel Morozov was a kid, who ratted out his father to communist authorities and who was killed by the rest of his family for it, resulting in him being quite literally martyred by the Soviet Government.

It's no wonder that they tell you that after he betrays you, as it would've been a giant red flag for anyone remotely familiar with USSR history.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
So yeah I just beat it and I'm 99% sure that killing random human enemies has no effect on your ending. I killed every enemy I came across that wasn't in a cutscene. It seems just like the first one in that regard, where if you helped enough people in the towns you got the good ending.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ugh, I'd rather they be driver issues, I feel like AMD can do a better job cleaning this up if it's on their end.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

To add to my nitpicks from earlier: I know it's a linear game and all but I'm getting tired of the very obvious setpiece breaks. Either with a crawling segment where you can't go backwards or the classic " funnel into a slightly too high cliff to climb back up".

It only pops out at me in this game because elsewhere they do it brilliantly by changing the map dynamically or by putting (sometimes fake) pressure on you to keep moving.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What's the good ending? I think I may have gotten it purely by accident, or the bad ending isn't really that bad. My ending was:

D6 explodes, killing Artyom, the rangers and Nazis inside. It cuts to Annie telling her child about her father Artyom, as if the whole game was a story about the kid's father, and ends with the kid asking about the Dark Ones and Annie says they've gone to a safer place but will return. Cut to the Dark Ones walking away into the bright horizon and the young one turning back and kind of half-waving goodbye.

Really bittersweet but a very good ending :unsmith:

Spoilers about my choices and actions:
I killed everyone and accidentally let the mother bear die :smith: I also helped everyone I could and spared those that surrendered except the first guy. I listened to most of the conversations and got a white flash from them. I don't know if that means anything but I got a noticeably darker flash when the mother bear died.

Edit: If you go into the steam folder you can watch the endings minus sound. I got the bad ending unsurprisingly. The good ending doesn't seem too different.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 15, 2013

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
If this was brought up already sorry, just need to vent. I played the first game, and I remember not nuking the old ones since that was what everything was pointing for me to do, even replaying in hopes it would carry over my safe, and they make it so that it canon that you did nuke them? jackasses..I think that was purely lazy, not because everyone apparently nuked them... Otherwise drat, it felt longer and it didn't seem as buggy as metro 2033.

Also wtf, they did the same with the endings here? I freed the dark ones, blew up d6 What was the point? if they release an third one odds are they'll do the same as above, and have players kill'em...

Also. lmao at getting high on the hookah.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 15, 2013

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ending noteThe destruction of D6 is the "bad" ending. From what I can tell, you can more easily get it this time, but you need to "spare" the bosses that you can.

As to the ending of the previous game, the Morality there was so wierdly applied that most people seem to have gotten the "bad" ending, so the devs made that the official ending.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The reason Kill is the official ending is because it's also the official ending of the books.

Save was an optional side thing, put in as a joke.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

WaffleLove posted:

If this was brought up already sorry, just need to vent. I played the first game, and I remember not nuking the old ones since that was what everything was pointing for me to do, even replaying in hopes it would carry over my safe, and they make it so that it canon that you did nuke them? jackasses..I think that was purely lazy, not because everyone apparently nuked them...

It's a pair of books and from what I understand the games follow that plot. But I have not read them yet.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Death Himself posted:

It's a pair of books and from what I understand the games follow that plot. But I have not read them yet.

Last Light doesn't follow Metro 2034 and is its own story.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Rookersh posted:

The reason Kill is the official ending is because it's also the official ending of the books.

Save was an optional side thing, put in as a joke.

Death Himself posted:

I didn't realize the books ended like that(haven't read them yet either). Also about that ending being optional/joke those fucks. Still, talk about weak..

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I read up a bit more, if there's no DirectX option displayed in any of my menus, is the game running on DirectX11?

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

So I read up a bit more, if there's no DirectX option displayed in any of my menus, is the game running on DirectX11?

I think it does that automatically depending on the graphic level you select, or by auto detect of card. It looked like dx10/9 for me when I played since my card only supports 10.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat the difficulty spike is huge from the Swamp and beyond. It's actually kind of nice that the game doesn't get super easy once you start getting better weapons, but it can be frustrating at times.

I find myself dying a lot due to not being able to see what's going on. Although, it's usually because elemental stuff is portrayed more realistically than in most games. It probably wouldn't be that easy to see in a fire while wearing a gas mask in real life either.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 16, 2013

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

According to some article I googled ..

"#6 Metro Last Light – How to Force to Run the Game in DX 10 or 9
If you don’t have a very good PC and you want to maximize the performance, i will recommend that you run the game in DX 9 mode. To do that:
You need find the .cfg file that is usually located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\.
Open the user.cfg in a text editor.
Find the command line “r_api X”.
In place of X, you need to put ’0′ if you want to run the game in DX 9 mode. For DX 10 and 11, you will have to add 1 and 2 respectively in place of ‘X’ in the command line.

Read more: http://segmentnext.com/2013/05/14/metro-last-light-errors/#ixzz2TPHCMK2X"

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I finally fixed the dumb resolution error I had with 1440x480 using a second monitor thing. I think I played a solid 2-3 hours and just escaped the nazi reich. The game is pretty drat good.

Seeing this so early in the game was amazing. I really also like the fireFX that is present, it looks pretty drat incredible in motion.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I just remembered that a bunch of reviews talked about having a "wipe mask" button, but I didn't see that in the menus anywhere, and playing on ranger, I'm wondering if it just didn't show me the tip. What's this wondrous button that all the reviewers keep gushing over?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

It's actually kind of nice that the game doesn't get super easy once you start getting better weapons
The getting newer guns also isn't quite as big of a deal as it was in the first game. I mean there's not a massive difference between any of the assault rifles (at least that I noticed). Basically everything is pretty viable for the whole game. Speaking of weapons it kind of felt like the pneumatic weapons were under represented compared to the first game.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

404notfound posted:

So I just remembered that a bunch of reviews talked about having a "wipe mask" button, but I didn't see that in the menus anywhere, and playing on ranger, I'm wondering if it just didn't show me the tip. What's this wondrous button that all the reviewers keep gushing over?

Just tap G

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

404notfound posted:

Tap G when you have your mask on.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok just got to the swamp and this is quite literally the best looking game environment I have ever seen. I couldn't believe my eyes how detailed and atmospheric it is and I am running this game on a loving 470gtx. I think I will pass out when I play this game on a gtx780 when it comes out, with tesselation and all the bells and whistles turned on.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

keyframe posted:

Ok just got to the swamp and this is quite literally the best looking game environment I have ever seen. I couldn't believe my eyes how detailed and atmospheric it is and I am running this game on a loving 470gtx. I think I will pass out when I play this game on a gtx780 when it comes out, with tesselation and all the bells and whistles turned on.

What settings are you using to get a good framerate? I'm on a 460gtx :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

What settings are you using to get a good framerate? I'm on a 460gtx :(

Just using whatever settings it auto detected. Which defaulted to very high. Running 1920x1080

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I thinking having my first play through be ranger hardcore is a bad move. i have no idea waht I'm doing or what I've got because when they said they took away all GUI elements they really meant it. Because it is that hard to count how much ammo you have? :psyduck:

Edit: Then I crash after climbing the ladder. I think this might be a "wait for patch" and "upgrade my video card" game.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 16, 2013

Tysn
Jan 15, 2008
The inability to see your ammo on Ranger mode definitely feels like an oversight, and a strange one considering how the functionality to see your reserve ammo already exists when pressing Tab, but only in safe areas. It seems unlikely that it's intended that you can't see it, as assault rifles are the exception in that you can always see how many MGR's you have. The advantage rifles have are clear later in the game when you're probably using MGR's as your primary weapon ammo.

Rifles also have an advantage in that there's now regular ammo limits, but no MGR limit. So with other weapons you'll possibly run out of ammo during some missions as you can only carry 40-60 ammo of each, but with assault rifles you'll have 180~ regular rounds plus possibly hundreds of MGR's. Because of this it seems like rifles are the only guns worth bothering to upgrade, as you won't have to swap them out during a mission because you ran out of ammo.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Just a quick note, the exchange rates on RH are as follows:

pre:
1 MGR will buy:

1.2     12x70 shells
3       5.45x39 dirty rounds
1.25    15mm ball bearings
1       .44 magnum rounds
.714    7.62x54 rounds

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Could anyone tell me the QTE button you have to press when you are in the rope elevator going down? It isn't showing up on my screen as I am a dumbass who likes ranger Hardcore so this section has been annoying me.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Could anyone tell me the QTE button you have to press when you are in the rope elevator going down? It isn't showing up on my screen as I am a dumbass who likes ranger Hardcore so this section has been annoying me.

It's always E I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Sometimes you have to rapidly press E as well.

• Locked thread