Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Rickety Cricket posted:

Did a few instrument training flights (simulated) over the last few days. Yesterday flew my first VOR approach (overloaded my brain) and LOC approach. Today was great, got to do my first ILS approach which was boatloads of fun! :D Can't wait to get out and do it again! Oh yeah and some simple RNAV approaches. Seriously though there was just so much going on with that VOR approach. I know it was my first time and it will get easier but man at this point I couldn't imagine doing that in actual, single pilot, and talking to ATC.

IFR flying is so much fun. I would recommend it to any PP to at least do some introductory flights.

Multi crew operations in IFR is probably the best time I had in training ops. It's amazing how much more poo poo you can handle when there is 2 of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, according to the proctor of my FAA test, I studied "way too hard." 87% on Private Pilot (Airplane). Anything over a 70% means I did too much work.

I'm glad I didn't go to their ground school.

Maybe true for some computerized tests the testing site also offers, but given that you'll have an oral exam before it's all done, and said examiner will have your exam sheet with the list of areas you didn't know for the written…

Hmmm, when I take my Instrument written, maybe intentionally answer a couple questions wrong in an area I'm strong in? Of course that supposes I'll get off my butt and study for it. :effort:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I think that's by and large a myth. The DEs are obligated to question everything covered on the writens anyway, so generally if you're weak in an area they'll find it anyway. Really all a good written result proves is you can memorize q+a well with sometimes outdated and wrong information.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I will be relocating to the Baltimore area for school in the fall. Does anyone have experience flying out of Martin State (KMTN)? There seem to be 2 flight schools there, Brett Aviation and Middle River Aviation. Has anyone had experience with either of these schools?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
At the rate I'm moving it looks like I'm going to be a professional flight instructor before too much more time passes. Something I've always wondered: how laughable is the idea of being a flight instructor in the NYC area? I don't know why but I absolutely adore New York and would kill to live there, so I'm researching the idea, pipe dreamy as it may be.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well it depends on where you want to be. NYC area is THE busiest corporate and Airlines hub what with Teteboro, Morristown, White Plains airports constituting a significant bulk of US Charter travel and Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia airports for heavy commercial traffic.

Realistically you're not going to be basing out of any of these airports for a flight school, instead you'll probably be around Caldwell, Morristown or wherever else that's outside of the Class B blob that constitutes the tri-airport area.

Although it might not seem the best for GA training, you also get to see a lot of everything out here because of how busy it all gets... and all the perils associated with busy GA traffic. There will be helicopters, there will be lots of GA traffic, We've got birds up to wazoo, lot's of heavy traffic to watch for. Consequently you will learn to be on the ball out here and keep a head on a swivel.

Cost of living is also moderately high out here with a hole in the wall going for about $700/mo plus utilities. Emphasis on hole

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 14, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ferris Bueller posted:

I think that's by and large a myth. The DEs are obligated to question everything covered on the writens anyway, so generally if you're weak in an area they'll find it anyway.

This.

The only attention I've seen DE's give written exams was to make sure that the student actually passed it, and that their name on the results sheet is identical to what's on their student certificate and ID. I've had students who got 72% on the written get the exact same oral exam as someone who got a 90, so pretty much everyone except the FAA realizes that the written tests don't have too much bearing on the real world.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Question to all you American pilots.

What is your view on the present US system, where students have no choice but become flight instructors before they can apply for airliners?
I trust that you are all good pilots, but don't you find it a bit pervers that people who JUST got there wings are the ones teaching?
I got my Instruction Licence at minimum hours too, out of neccesity, but deep inside I had the guilty feeling that I probably wasn't experienced enough to teach. Pretty much every instructor I flew with had 5000+ hours on large aircraft. I can immagine the quality of subsequent pilot generations watering down if we employed the same system.

Again, you are all good pilots probably but the system does allow for sub optimal transfer of skill / knowledge.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's a predicament found in the US ATC system too. New folks are saddled with instruction responsibility pretty quickly after certification.

It may not be the best solution, but even young flight instructors tend to know their stuff. I did my PPL with an instructor with a fair amount of experience, but that same school also employs some newer pilots and I'd feel comfortable learning from them as well. They're all exceptionally dedicated to aviation though.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Well it depends on where you want to be. NYC area is THE busiest corporate and Airlines hub what with Teteboro, Morristown, White Plains airports constituting a significant bulk of US Charter travel and Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia airports for heavy commercial traffic.

Realistically you're not going to be basing out of any of these airports for a flight school, instead you'll probably be around Caldwell, Morristown or wherever else that's outside of the Class B blob that constitutes the tri-airport area.

Although it might not seem the best for GA training, you also get to see a lot of everything out here because of how busy it all gets... and all the perils associated with busy GA traffic. There will be helicopters, there will be lots of GA traffic, We've got birds up to wazoo, lot's of heavy traffic to watch for. Consequently you will learn to be on the ball out here and keep a head on a swivel.

Cost of living is also moderately high out here with a hole in the wall going for about $700/mo plus utilities. Emphasis on hole

I have a friend who was a flight instructor in White Plains on the SR20/22. She did it for a while and even found work on the side but it didn't pay well. Luckily she lived with her parents and had money.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Mikojan posted:

Question to all you American pilots.

What is your view on the present US system, where students have no choice but become flight instructors before they can apply for airliners?
I trust that you are all good pilots, but don't you find it a bit pervers that people who JUST got there wings are the ones teaching?
I got my Instruction Licence at minimum hours too, out of neccesity, but deep inside I had the guilty feeling that I probably wasn't experienced enough to teach. Pretty much every instructor I flew with had 5000+ hours on large aircraft. I can immagine the quality of subsequent pilot generations watering down if we employed the same system.

Again, you are all good pilots probably but the system does allow for sub optimal transfer of skill / knowledge.

I'm not a pilot, but I've certainly seen a broad range of instructors. Some of the ones I've met have been flying for 40+ years while others just started teaching a year ago.

The most important factor, in my opinion, is to be comfortable with the instructor before you or someone you care about starts learning from them. If you can say that, then it doesn't really matter how long they've been instructing. I actually think it gives you a better sense of what the airspace is really like if you understand many different styles, so it's a good thing to experience different instructors along the way.

In my experience, new instructors tend to be less likely to take risks, and their knowledge is a little more mobile. They haven't been in one area for so long that they forget to cover topics that are mostly relevant to other places. Also, if you have an instructor who loves to teach but has only been teaching for one year, he/she can potentially be even more valuable than the guy who's been flying for 50+ years but only teaches because he's too old for the airlines anymore.

I have certainly encountered training facilities which I flat out vetoed because I didn't like the way they were set up, and I wouldn't be comfortable with my husband learning from people who taught under those circumstances. That's totally different, though. I haven't found new instructors to be "sub-optimal" in any way.

A fun example:

I know an instructor who just got signed off to do instrument training in late 2011. One of my friends started learning from him pretty soon afterward, and they went up to do some instrument training. It was a pretty clear day, and the pilot practice area is near a skydiver jump spot, but no notices had been filed that there would be jumper activity.

Turns out they were jumping, but they hadn't bothered to file a notice. :downs: While my friend was flying with foggles, the instructor seized the controls and shouted "My plane!" as he veered off to one side. A skydiver fell near the plane.

If the instructor hadn't been on high alert or his reflexes hadn't been quick enough, they could've hit someone in mid-air. No number of flight hours would have made a difference. You don't need a certain number of hours to be skilled at what you do, but you do have to always pay attention, and always be prepared.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
As far as knowledge is concerned, I knew more than enough to be a good CFI on my first day instructing. It's pretty hard to pass the CFI oral without knowing a lot. You may not have a lot of experience but most of the book knowledge is in there from day 1.

Imparting that knowledge and skill onto a student is an entirely different matter altogether. You learn the basics in CFI training but your first 100 hours of student contact are going to be a severe learning curve no matter if you've been flying for 2 years or 2 decades.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
What's the best solution for cleaning vomit from aircraft? It was bumpy yesterday and there was an incident. I got most of it cleaned up but I need to figure out something for the carpet that won't do bad things to the metal. At home I use Woolite carpet cleaner with oxyclean for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure if the aircraft would like it. Would that do bad things to the metal if it came in contact under the carpet? What do people use?

Edit: Oxiclean says specifically don't use it where it'll be on metal directly, and a lot of people say aluminum doesn't like it.

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 15, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dalrain posted:

What's the best solution for cleaning vomit from aircraft? It was bumpy yesterday and there was an incident. I got most of it cleaned up but I need to figure out something for the carpet that won't do bad things to the metal. At home I use Woolite carpet cleaner with oxyclean for that sort of thing, but I'm not sure if the aircraft would like it. Would that do bad things to the metal if it came in contact under the carpet? What do people use?

Welcome to the club!

I've had pretty good luck with using damp towels (or paper towels) with a basic soap/water mix. Make sure you don't get the carpet too wet, and that should work pretty well, although getting hard to reach areas (like under the seats) is going to suck. After you clean up the mess, go over the area with paper towels or something to get as much moisture as possible out of the carpet.

After you get the interior cleaned, leaving the windows open will help to dry out the interior, but may do nothing to get rid of the smell. To help with the smell, I generally use some kind of air freshener (Fabreeze seems to work pretty well), and spray the hell out of the carpet after it's been cleaned.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

I wanted to post this. http://www.liberty.edu/media/1121/2011%20Oral%20Exam%20Study%20Guide%20v1.1%20-%20Student.pdf

I was scouring the web for some information on Private Pilot/Commercial Pilot Oral Exam guides, mainly forums and the like, and I came across this guide.

I've been answering the questions, around 10 a day, and I think its really helping me in my competence far and above the Hayes oral exam guide book.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

azflyboy posted:

Welcome to the club!

Thank you for being understanding, I'm happy to have some input on this. I'm thinking a semi-dry carpet cleaning formulation might help as well, and will bring along the febreeze when I head out to finish cleaning. It's a borrowed plane and the owner deserves to have it nice when he comes around to fly himself this weekend.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dalrain posted:

Edit: Oxiclean says specifically don't use it where it'll be on metal directly, and a lot of people say aluminum doesn't like it.

I can't speak for carpets or airplanes, but in fencing we use Woolite detergent to clean our metal/fabric things because it doesn't have bleach and thus doesn't mess with the metal fibers (usually stainless steel, nickle, or copper).

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Guys guys my dreams have come true... I have a 707 (and 720) type rating!!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm somewhat used to overpaying for living, when I was starting out I was at like 12/hr living in a 700/mo small apartment, luckily I love beans and ramen and my debts aren't crushing. I'm just hoping that someone in the area would hire me, obviously, and that I might make a little extra as an a&p wherever I am, maybe somewhere like Hicksville. Should I wait until I finish my CFI training in July to inquire about employment or do you think I should start contacting around now? I'd be looking to move around August if something stuck.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Dalrain posted:

What's the best solution for cleaning vomit from aircraft?

Fire.

xaarman posted:

Really cool. KC-135? When you get out you can do some contract work for John Travolta.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Yeah, RC-135 specifically but it was mostly for humor because I can't imagine a 707 type rating being helpful at anything... it was just to pad the resume.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

Fire.

Really cool. KC-135? When you get out you can do some contract work for John Travolta.

Screw Travolta.

http://n88zl.com

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

xaarman posted:

707 ????

What did it cost and did it involve the touch an go's ? :D

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

xaarman posted:

That's a cool type. Definitely an interview talking point (assuming the interviewer is old).

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Forgive me if this has already been discussed or if it's not appropriate for the thread. I read the first post and checked back the last couple of pages.

I'm sure you've all heard about the controversy over the Texas man who has designed a gun printable on the current generation of 3-d printers. I'm skeptical of how much damage someone could do with a single shot, low caliber gun on a commercial airliner. Here is the specific quote:

quote:

Actually, I was having that conversation on the phone earlier with another regular commentator here (Slartibartfast/Kevin K.) but we were talking about planes. The biggest threat would be to the plane/train itself. They are lined with electronic and hydraulic control systems. If you knew where to shoot, you could do quite a bit of damage with a gun from the inside.

Opinions? Thanks for any input you can give me.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed or if it's not appropriate for the thread. I read the first post and checked back the last couple of pages.

I'm sure you've all heard about the controversy over the Texas man who has designed a gun printable on the current generation of 3-d printers. I'm skeptical of how much damage someone could do with a single shot, low caliber gun on a commercial airliner. Here is the specific quote:

Opinions? Thanks for any input you can give me.

If you want to bring down a plane there are easier ways than studying their mechanics and shooting a plastic 3D printed gun in a specific place. I believe that you'd have to be incredibly lucky to do enough damage to the plane to cause an emergency. Therefore, I think the worst thing you can do with a single shot gun on a plane is kill 1 person. 2 if you're really lucky again.

You also need to get the bullet past security. Not impossible, but not trivial.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You're not going fo crash a modern airliner with a single shot from a pistol. Full stop, end of sentence. Youre not going to get a depressurization, either, before anyone jumps to that.

You're not going to bring down an airliner with anything less than several ~20mm cannon rounds, and even then, I'd only give you even odds of success; Airliners have incredibly redundant systems.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Youre not going to get a depressurization, either, before anyone jumps to that.

I think this could be done, but to what end? People would scream, the masks would fall from the ceiling, and the pilots would dive to below 10,000 or whatever level they're trained to dive to in that scenario. Oh, and everyone aboard would get free round trip tickets for the trouble.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

You're not going fo crash a modern airliner with a single shot from a pistol. Full stop, end of sentence. Youre not going to get a depressurization, either, before anyone jumps to that.

You're not going to bring down an airliner with anything less than several ~20mm cannon rounds, and even then, I'd only give you even odds of success; Airliners have incredibly redundant systems.

Hell, missiles aren't even a sure thing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks so much for the responses! Do you guys mind if I quote your answers elsewhere? Specifically in the comments to a story on Jonathan Turley's blog (Turley is an attorney and law professor). If you aren't comfortable with that, that's totally cool, I just didn't want to presume that you were ok with it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Our responses are publicly viewable. Properly attributed, I don't see how anyone could reasonably object to being quoted. Feel free.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On the other hand I guess if you somehow damaged the pitot static system with your gun there might be some issues?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How would you do that?

edit: "On the other hand, I guess if you manage to rip the wings off, there might be some trouble!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luck.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DNova posted:

I think this could be done, but to what end? People would scream, the masks would fall from the ceiling, and the pilots would dive to below 10,000 or whatever level they're trained to dive to in that scenario. Oh, and everyone aboard would get free round trip tickets for the trouble.

No, no it couldn't. You could go rock-and-roll-mag-dump on the skin of an airliner, and not cause more than a slight burp in cabin pressure, as long as you don't concentrate your fire in a small, structurally critical area and cause a larger rupture (Again, not going to happen.) With a single, or multiple simple penetrations of the pressure vessel, the outflow valve would snap closed, or probably just closer to closed, and pressure would stay exactly where it was.

It takes a rather significant hole to lose pressurization.

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand I guess if you somehow damaged the pitot static system with your gun there might be some issues?

There are multiple pitot systems, and multiple static systems. There is generally a primary and a backup air data computer.

You. Are. Not. Going. To. Cause. A. Crash. With. A. Non-Crew-Served. Weapon.

Your only hope with this kind of strategy is to incapacitate or otherwise compromise the guys up front with the big windows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

There are multiple pitot systems, and multiple static systems. There is generally a primary and a backup air data computer.

Tell that to the passengers of AF447.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The next time a plane is brought down in the US by malicious intent, it will be with a shoulder-fire missile within the vicinity of an airport or with some kind of remote control aircraft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Tell that to the passengers of AF447.

AF447 worked perfectly. The aircraft was perfectly flyable, all the way to impact. The flight crew misinterpreted the data they still had, and then stalled the aircraft for 37,000 feet, because of a faulty training program.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

AF447 worked perfectly. The aircraft was perfectly flyable, all the way to impact. The flight crew misinterpreted the data they still had, and then stalled the aircraft for 37,000 feet, because of a faulty training program.

see also: colgan 3407

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

News flash: pilot incompetence more likely to kill you than Bad Guys.

• Locked thread