Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

absolutely anything posted:

The only thing sadder than a career let's player is a career let's player who takes it that goddamn seriously

Wonder how long till we get a 40 minute video of DSP out of breath screaming gently caress YOU NINTENDO on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

KimT posted:

I think another company started doing that a while back too, but I don't remember which one. Capcom or Square Enix maybe?

Ubisoft did it over Blood Dragon. When you get a copyright claim on a video it dings your account, and takes it out of good standing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Larson was ahead of his time:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The only thing sadder than a career let's player is a career let's player who takes it that goddamn seriously

How else is he supposed to make a living? Find a job that might require him to have some sort of trade skill or possibly interact with other people? He'll never survive if the job doesn't involve "play video games" and "yell really loud at the microphone".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

How else is he supposed to make a living? Find a job that might require him to have some sort of trade skill or possibly interact with other people? He'll never survive if the job doesn't involve "play video games" and "yell really loud at the microphone".

He could make a wonderful Air Traffic Controller or Talk Radio Host.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's such a tender heart, the one that creates the art.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like a total dumbass, does the first person aiming not work in the Revelations console ports? It was really scratching my King's Field/Echo Night itch on 3DS.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

"The livelihood of all LPers."

So they aren't taking down any videos, just putting ads in front of them so you have to wait anywhere from five to fifteen seconds and the LPer (or content uploader) doesn't see any revenue from those ads? Is that what's happening here?

I mean saying "Nintendo's shutting down Let's Plays of their games/OST soundtracks" is catchier sure but it's not really telling the whole story.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
How's this different from broadcasters on Twitch? They're essentially doing the same thing except doing it live and/or are a speedrunner.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So they aren't taking down any videos, just putting ads in front of them so you have to wait anywhere from five to fifteen seconds and the LPer (or content uploader) doesn't see any revenue from those ads? Is that what's happening here?

I mean saying "Nintendo's shutting down Let's Plays of their games/OST soundtracks" is catchier sure but it's not really telling the whole story.

Presumably the LPers already had ads going that they were getting revenue from, and now that money is going to Nintendo.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

8-bit Miniboss posted:

How's this different from broadcasters on Twitch? They're essentially doing the same thing except doing it live and/or are a speedrunner.

Most of the games used on twitch (LoL/SC2/Dota2) have support of the companies and usually get a cut of all revenue that twitch makes. The developers/publishers realize that the streams are helping both parties and in fact seem to help each other out.

(Blizzard sorta-forcing GSL to broadcast on Twitch and the like)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hahaha wait is this really what's happening? That makes that big dumb post even funnier.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I was just over at Kotaku and they are OUTRAGED.
(not really. I mean, they probably are outraged. I wasn't just over at Kotaku though)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Viewtiful Jew posted:

His post is talking about filing DMCA / copyright claims against anyone that has posted LPs of certain Nintendo games. The way Youtube works is that you get 3 copyright strikes and then you're out unless you're a major player like YOGScast or Seananners.

The real problem is that these LPs were recorded months or sometimes years ago, and then at some point, a company will decide they're not OK with their content being recorded (usually when a new game in the franchise is coming out). So they file claims against every video of game [x] (like SSB:M) and get the videos taken down. When they file copyright claims they count as strikes against the channel, and there's really no recourse for the guy who uploaded the video. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 videos that are fine, if Nintendo, Sega, and someone else all decide to file claims against even 1 video of their games that you've uploaded, your channel is gone and everything else you've uploaded too.

So there's no way to know if the videos you are making - and that are fine when you upload them - will get your channel closed at some point in the future. You can mock the idea of people trying to record videos of themselves playing games, but here at SA we have a subforum for just a purpose, and that subforum is very popular.

So from a streamer / producer perspective, better to avoid making videos of Nintendo properties until you can be reasonably sure that they won't file a copyright claim against your channel 6 or 12 months from now. Whether you give a poo poo about that is up to you, but the streamers are simply saying that making Nintendo videos is a very risky proposition and could cost them their channel / income for very little upside.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zomodok posted:

Most of the games used on twitch (LoL/SC2/Dota2) have support of the companies and usually get a cut of all revenue that twitch makes. The developers/publishers realize that the streams are helping both parties and in fact seem to help each other out.

(Blizzard sorta-forcing GSL to broadcast on Twitch and the like)

Should have clarified that I was asking for the streamers that are not eSports related since those companies are heavily involved with it's maturation. I'm asking more toward companies like Nintendo specifically in this case.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why does Nintendo care about people posting videos of them playing their games on youtube?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rakthar posted:

His post is talking about filing DMCA / copyright claims against anyone that has posted LPs of certain Nintendo games. The way Youtube works is that you get 3 copyright strikes and then you're out unless you're a major player like YOGScast or Seananners.

The real problem is that these LPs were recorded months or sometimes years ago, and then at some point, a company will decide they're not OK with their content being recorded (usually when a new game in the franchise is coming out). So they file claims against every video of game [x] (like SSB:M) and get the videos taken down. When they file copyright claims they count as strikes against the channel, and there's really no recourse for the guy who uploaded the video. It doesn't matter if you have 1000 videos that are fine, if Nintendo, Sega, and someone else all decide to file claims against even 1 video of their games that you've uploaded, your channel is gone and everything else you've uploaded too.

So there's no way to know if the videos you are making - and that are fine when you upload them - will get your channel closed at some point in the future. You can mock the idea of people trying to record videos of themselves playing games, but here at SA we have a subforum for just a purpose, and that subforum is very popular.

So from a streamer / producer perspective, better to avoid making videos of Nintendo properties until you can be reasonably sure that they won't file a copyright claim against your channel 6 or 12 months from now. Whether you give a poo poo about that is up to you, but the streamers are simply saying that making Nintendo videos is a very risky proposition and could cost them their channel / income for very little upside.

But they're content ID-ing them (which puts ads into the videos), not copyright claiming the videos aren't they? That's different than simply removing the videos outright and replacing them with a big ol' unhappy red face isn't it?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Totalbiscuit just tweeted this link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1een9t/nintendo_is_mass_claiming_gameplay_videos_on/

So I expect this will start spreading more aggressively now.

I know people taking LPs super seriously is dumb and all, but this just seems pointless and petty from Nintendo.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

But they're content ID-ing them (which puts ads into the videos), not copyright claiming the videos aren't they? That's different than simply removing the videos outright and replacing them with a big ol' unhappy red face isn't it?

The Reddit post clarified it

quote:

This action is done via YouTube's Content ID system, and it causes an affected video's advertising revenue to go to Nintendo rather than the video creator

So they're just redirecting the ad revenue to themselves instead of the person running the channel.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
quote is not edit

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Sure, that's what Nintendo is doing right now. The problem is that at any point they can decide to change what they're doing, and there's no way to know ahead of time when / what that will be. Nintendo is clearly aware of youtube but can change what they're doing at any point.

If you don't believe me, here's a a 6 page Neogaf thread where tons of people had their channels closed for uploading Sega videos, and the whole thing is documented here if you care to read about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501616

As a result, uploading Nintendo videos means that you open yourself up to a Sega style takedown, even for videos uploaded years prior, the moment Nintendo decides it doesn't want videos uploaded of a certain game / any of their games. So Nintendo choosing to monetize other people's videos seems like either a warning shot or a first step to many people, and for those that make any real revenue off their channel, it's probably wise to be cautious. If Youtube didn't have the 3 strikes policy this wouldn't be a huge deal, but they do, and so it becomes a very real risk.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh no what will the world do if all the youtube let's plays get pulled down at once

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AlmightyBob posted:

Ubisoft did it over Blood Dragon.

Yeah, because the game wasn't even out yet. Which is, you know, fair.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

For the record, YouTube kinda, sorta already has a policy in place when it comes to monetization of Let's Play style videos:

Under "... if I am playing a video game, or doing a walkthrough?"

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Oh no what will the world do if all the youtube let's plays get pulled down at once

The millions of people that watch them would probably be sad/mad/disappointed and everyone else would go on with their lives as normal. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

On the flip-side, how does Nintendo benefit from these videos getting pulled down?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crowbear posted:

The millions of people that watch them would probably be sad/mad/disappointed and everyone else would go on with their lives as normal. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

On the flip-side, how does Nintendo benefit from these videos getting pulled down?

None whatsoever, whoever gave the greenlight is probably viewing this as a way to protect Nintendo's properties from being shown in a negative light. Who knows?

Edit: Man, reading random replies in that Reddit thread really makes me sad. People changing their tunes at the drop of a hat for something that doesn't directly affect them. :smith:

Edit #2: This is pretty neat though: http://www.valvesoftware.com/videopolicy.html

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 16, 2013

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Nintendo just commented on the matter:

quote:

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property. For more information please visit http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/faq.html

Edit: But naw gently caress that we need some kneejerck reaction thread titles!

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 16, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sony's planning to embrace the Let's Players/Speed Runners by letting them record and upload video directly from the console, without needing a computer or capturing hardware. It was revealed by the people who hacked the GamePad that it's possible that the Wii U could also stream gameplay video to the internet in the same way that it does to the controller screen, but if Nintendo isn't happy with that idea then it's not going to happen.

It's a shame, because although there are many people who do a terrible job, filling their videos with offensive jokes and not cutting out any unnecessary footage, there are still plenty of people who could provide interesting videos if they didn't need to go through the hoops of setting up a capture device and the software. I mean, Nintendo's own games don't provide the type of experience that can be replaced by just watching a video, unlike more cinematic games, so I don't know what they're so uptight about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh so it's not just let's plays. That's super lovely

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ugh. Most "other entertainment companies" do not give a poo poo about this or accept that their games getting free exposure is a benefit to them. This is going to do nothing but cause backlash and reinforce the Nintendo Is Bad At Internet stuff.

e: Unless they're talking about movie/tv/music companies in which case that's dumb because they're not remotely the same thing.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 16, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Ugh. Most "other entertainment companies" do not give a poo poo about this or accept that their games getting free exposure is a benefit to them. This is going to do nothing but cause backlash and reinforce the Nintendo Is Bad At Internet stuff.

It's brand protection, something they've always done. This is no less the same when someone uploads a clip of a Mickey Mouse cartoon and Disney calls them on that poo poo. Sure it's a bummer for those LP'ers that are somehow making a living out of it (:psyduck:), but it's just them talking over someone else's properties. Nintendo has, and has used their right to protect their brand.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh so it's not just let's plays. That's super lovely

No it's also for YouTubers like GilvaSunner who upload pretty much every Nintendo Soundtrack that's ever existed for archival purposes, he's even stated he doesn't get any money off of this. The only lovely thing that's happened to his channel is that now there's ads on the videos.

They aren't taking down his videos or his channel, which would happen if he say uploaded Square-Enix game soundtracks which seem to get music dump channels taken down every so often if they grow in popularity.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I can't blame them for the advertising thing. It would be a completely different issue if they were taking down videos when Sony's next box is built with streaming in mind, but that isn't the case.

Nintendo is well within their rights to get that advertising money. If the LPers want to make their money, maybe they can release audio tracks at a cost or something that viewers can sync up to gameplay.

I also have a hard time believing that the vast, vast majority of LPers make enough money that would count as a "livelihood." I watch Sandy Ravage on YouTube, and he scoffs at the idea that Call of Duty videos are making him rich, and that dude has 430,000+ subscribers, which I imagine has to be on the high end.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Music is a whole different beast. Having your music up on youtube means people will listen to it on there instead of buying it. Having video of your game on youtube could get people that watch interested enough to buy it.

I just don't see how Nintendo are protecting their brand by disincentivizing these people with millions of followers from showing off their games, whether it's through full on LPs or just Quick Look-esque stuff that's pretty much designed to sell people on them.

I'm sure they are totally within their legal right to do this, that doesn't mean it's not a backwards thing to do.

Soul Glo posted:

I also have a hard time believing that the vast, vast majority of LPers make enough money that would count as a "livelihood." I watch Sandy Ravage on YouTube, and he scoffs at the idea that Call of Duty videos are making him rich, and that dude has 430,000+ subscribers, which I imagine has to be on the high end.

The vast majority probably don't, but the big names that do it full time make a decent buck, as I just found out. A lot of them post videos that get 100,000+ views regularly, and apparently they get paid between $2-$5 per 1000 views.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 16, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I can't blame them for the advertising thing. It would be a completely different issue if they were taking down videos when Sony's next box is built with streaming in mind, but that isn't the case.

Nintendo is well within their rights to get that advertising money. If the LPers want to make their money, maybe they can release audio tracks at a cost or something that viewers can sync up to gameplay.

Pretty hard to do when people play differently. It's not like a movie where you can just get a Rifftrax and it pretty much works with any DVD or BluRay you own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crowbear posted:

I just don't see how Nintendo are protecting their brand by disincentivizing these people with millions of followers from showing off their games

If profit is the only incentive they have to keep posting videos then I hope Nintendo milks them for every dollar.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If profit is the only incentive they have to keep posting videos then I hope Nintendo milks them for every dollar.

What does intent matter, though? Whether they're doing it to make a buck or out of the goodness of their hearts, it's exposure for Nintendo either way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crowbear posted:

What does intent matter, though? Whether they're doing it to make a buck or out of the goodness of their hearts, it's exposure for Nintendo either way.

All these "content creators" are completely expendable and for every person that decides they're gonna stop making videos there are a hundred other uninteresting dorks who are more than happy to take their place. Nothing will be lost.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You know in most industries, promoting someone's product is a paid service. I mean I'm just saying. In no other circumstance can someone say "you can promote our product on your (X), but ONLY if we get all the money" and not get laughed out of the building.

Gaming industry is full of the most backwards rear end poo poo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pretty hard to do when people play differently. It's not like a movie where you can just get a Rifftrax and it pretty much works with any DVD or BluRay you own.

Nah, I mean release the video of them playing on YouTube while releasing the commentary from that episode separately where they can get paid for it.

I think that one guy from Facebook might be overestimating how much people need his commentary, though. I enjoy it, but more often than not, the commentator is kind of annoying.

It's nice to hear them explain things during speed runs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

All these "content creators" are completely expendable

They're not, though. That's the thing.

I agree that the vast majority of them suck horribly, but people like Totalbiscuit and the Yogscast guys have huge followings and they aren't going anywhere any time soon. So now all that happens is they'll keep showing off new games to millions of people and just skip Nintendo's stuff since they're no longer making money off it.

• Locked thread