Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's not even like a flatscreen is a luxury item, it's been the bog standard for televisions for how many years now?

The rags do the same thing with "LAPTOP COMPUTERS", which has always struck me as odd since bottom of the range laptops have cost less than their desktop counterparts for at least as long as I've been old enough to buy computers. It's particularly bizarre that they're still using that one since apparently benefits will have to be applied for online soon?

Of course this hateful old tripe still works on their readers because they are people who pay 50p daily for the convenience of being told who to hate. Christ forbid they'd actually have to do their own thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

sex pervert posted:

The rags do the same thing with "LAPTOP COMPUTERS", which has always struck me as odd since bottom of the range laptops have cost less than their desktop counterparts for at least as long as I've been old enough to buy computers. It's particularly bizarre that they're still using that one since apparently benefits will have to be applied for online soon?

Of course this hateful old tripe still works on their readers because they are people who pay 50p daily for the convenience of being told who to hate. Christ forbid they'd actually have to do their own thinking.

I DON'T PAY TAXES TO DO MY OWN THINKING

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!
Oh loving hell, Hollyoaks.

Anyone want to bid how long they're going to stretch out the storyline of Leanne being wrongly accused of murdering Texas?

I really can't think of a time in Hollyoaks history where the police have caught the right person first.

Also, Will is a smug little bastard.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Has anybody else seen the Coke Zero advert? http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/press-centre/2013/april/coke-zero-taste-experiment.html Who the gently caress would sit in the audience having a little giggle at having been served the wrong product? I don't think this advert was made with a British audience in mind. Have fun explaining your little joke to the trading standards officer, Oliver.

And the Sky broadband ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehtYUYxVrM This is the worst one. This is not funny. It's just a little ego wank for Bruce Willis. We're really supposed to believe that this woman is happy at being whisked off for a shag with a fat old bald bloke? :stare: And there's another one with Jonathan Ross where he says things that were probably meant to be funny, but unfortunately nobody involved in producing the ad had any sense of humour so it didn't happen. They'd have been better off just getting these TOP CELEBS!!!!! to stand in front of the camera and say "I'm famous and I've been paid lots of money to be associated with this product."

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

sex pervert posted:

Has anybody else seen the Coke Zero advert? http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/press-centre/2013/april/coke-zero-taste-experiment.html Who the gently caress would sit in the audience having a little giggle at having been served the wrong product? I don't think this advert was made with a British audience in mind. Have fun explaining your little joke to the trading standards officer, Oliver.

And the Sky broadband ads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehtYUYxVrM This is the worst one. This is not funny. It's just a little ego wank for Bruce Willis. We're really supposed to believe that this woman is happy at being whisked off for a shag with a fat old bald bloke? :stare: And there's another one with Jonathan Ross where he says things that were probably meant to be funny, but unfortunately nobody involved in producing the ad had any sense of humour so it didn't happen. They'd have been better off just getting these TOP CELEBS!!!!! to stand in front of the camera and say "I'm famous and I've been paid lots of money to be associated with this product."

If we're plumbing the depths of lovely adverts on TV then I want to nominate that Heating Logic boiler ad with Carol McGiffin from Loose Women. She waves a knife about and drones her lines like a drugged zombie - I think spending money to service old boilers is maaaaaaadness!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dr Scoofles posted:

If we're plumbing the depths of lovely adverts on TV then I want to nominate that Heating Logic boiler ad with Carol McGiffin from Loose Women. She waves a knife about and drones her lines like a drugged zombie - I think spending money to service old boilers is maaaaaaadness!

Anything with Carol McGiffin is dire. Can't believe she was married to Chris Evans at his height of fame back in the 90s.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Man this Eurovision coverage is the most Alan Partridge thing ever.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NwahNerevar posted:

Man this Eurovision coverage is the most Alan Partridge thing ever.

Montenegro last night really was something else though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

That is something. Not quite this prospective Estonian entry though.

Thankfully, not much is.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Disappointed that Montenegro didn't make it through last night, as their song was my favourite. Thankfully the other nation I voted for made it through. Come on Moldova, and bring on the next semi-finals!

Also there are far too many ballads this year. Needs more silly acts.

FelixMeOneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 16, 2013

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Dr Scoofles posted:

We're at the point with ads where so much is advertised by a celebrity (usually just their voice) that the effects of their endorsement can't nearly be as strong any more. Is it the agents arguing your product will fail without a Proper Actor lending weight to the creamy chocolate crunch? (Olivia Colman's Digestives)

I find it puts me off the product and the actor.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Apparently celebrity voice-overs give the actor a large amount of money, which is why you get so many.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

NwahNerevar posted:

Apparently celebrity voice-overs give the actor a large amount of money, which is why you get so many.

I think he's more questioning why the companies want to do it - or whether it's worth them doing it any more - rather than why the actors do it.

Incidentally, while I can see why some actors do it, how much to you have to pay people like Bruce Willis to do some lovely broadband ad? Or has he frittered away his (presumably) millions and needs a bit of spare change?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can always do with more money. As for why they companies do it, I'm sure they've got some solid market research that shows people are idiots.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Yeah I'm thinking Bruce has lost some fairly mega tax case recently.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can always do with more money. As for why they companies do it, I'm sure they've got some solid market research that shows people are idiots.

Less that celeb ads are effective than that they are reliable. It's the "nobody got fired for buying IBM" effect. Your clever idea for a thought provoking ad might not amuse the executives and they'll assume it won't be worth the cost, but "we can get X celeb for Y money and see Z increase in sales" is a safe bet, even if the sales figures are purely speculative - it sounds objective because the celeb is a known quantity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Americans have remade Gavin and Stacey.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/may/16/six-new-us-tv-shows-agents-shield?INTCMP=SRCH

It's going to suck, but Alexis Bledel.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

As did the UK version, why are you surprised?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the whole point of Gavin and Stacy "aren't welsh people funny"?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Gavin and Stacey actually isn't as bad as I want it to be, it seems like it should be but I can understand the appeal of it. It's miles better than Miranda or Mrs. Brown's Boys and other stuff like that

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it's low-impact, non-offensive comedy, but I can understand the appeal anyway. The sort of programme you can watch with your granny.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

goatface posted:

Wasn't the whole point of Gavin and Stacy "aren't welsh people funny"?
Not really, both families & all of their friends are weird. It's more "aren't people funny?"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

I loved Gavin and Stacey to be honest. It's hardly the most cutting-edge comedy but it was a nice relief to find a comedy that was actually funny yet didn't pounce on every "oh no everything's gone wrong" opportunity for cheap laughs. Plus Nessa is a brilliant character.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gavin and Stacey did unleash James Corden onto the world though. That was uncalled for.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

James Corden was bloody funny in One Man, Two Guvnors.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
He was good in The History Boys too

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

James Cordon is perhaps the most acute sufferer of "comedy actor but not comedian" syndrome (also known as Eldon's Disease.)

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Did anybody make it past the first two episodes of It's Kevin?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I couldn't even make it past one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched episode 5 to see if it had settled and found a rhythm. It was marginally better, but still not good.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Trin Tragula posted:

I saw this on Tuesday with Rufus Hound who was suprisingly brilliant in it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

sex pervert posted:

I only really used him for a cheap laugh to be honest, I actually quite liked it and felt it got better as it went on.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

sex pervert posted:

Yeah, it improved and there were some great sketches here and there but it was still pretty uneven.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NwahNerevar posted:

Gavin and Stacey did unleash James Corden onto the world though. That was uncalled for.

He is merely the new John Thomson (Fast Show), the forever slightly chubby sidekick.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

happyhippy posted:

He is merely the new John Thomson (Fast Show), the forever slightly chubby sidekick.

Except Sky gave him his own panel show, so he's not the chubby sidekick, he's the fat, annoying, loud host.

His laugh sends shivers up my spine.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

For radio fans, Down The Line is back on Radio 4 for a new series. There's already been 3 episodes aired, all on iPlayer still I think.

For the uninitiated, its a spoof call-in show satirising the Radio 4 audience. Made by the Fast Show people. Very good.

It's also creepily similar to some of the actual call-in shows on BBC Radio Solent. I sometimes forget which one I'm listening to.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 18, 2013

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

sex pervert posted:

Me -- my partner thought it was a great show and dvr'd each episode to watch when he got back from his contract. Of course, by the time he staggers in on Thursday nights he's just come from a four hour commute working a 40 hour week in three days with a right shower of bastards, so I can't blame the poor sap for giggling like a loon at the show. I voluntarily watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and then watched the second on iPlayer where you just keep clicking the cursor along to advance the program. The show's ok if you watch it in about 30 seconds' worth of sound bites. But I endured all six for his sake (although multi-tasking with knitting. He knows I'm only indulging him when I pick up my knitting.)

On the other hand, we followed up the last episode with an episode of Big Train, and he's had to admit It's Kevin was 'a bit weak sauce.'

Now we're on a Big Train binge. Mark Heap :allears:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

onoflalks posted:

Except Sky gave him his own panel show, so he's not the chubby sidekick, he's the fat, annoying, loud host.

His laugh sends shivers up my spine.

He also hosted the Brits two (three?) years in a row, at which he is shockingly bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He was in Horne and Cordon.

So bad it scarred itself into my memory.