Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

Musket posted:

This is a drawback with entry level camera viewfinders. There isnt much you can do, and the focus dot is also not all that accurate.

You cant do much other than upgrade to a better more expensive camera. Even then you are lookin at droppin some serious coin, as they dont get better until you hit the D7100 and even then its not as good as say a D300/D700.

I'll try the focus dot again, but last I checked it wasn't really useful, especially in low light. I may look into upgrading to a D7000, at least it has a pentaprism with close to 1x magnification.

Mr. Despair posted:

The pentamirror is what's making the viewfinder seem dim and small. The other issue is that most modern viewfinder are optimized for lower apertures, this makes them seem brighter at those lower levels, but it also means that the DoF seems to be the same whether you're at f/1.8 or f/5.6, leading to missed focus. I'm not sure if the focus confirm dot has the same limitation, have you tried setting the camera to center dot focusing and relying on the focus confirm to see if it helps at all?

Do you think the D7000 would be better at dealing with a narrow DoF? Even in bright light that seems to be an issue with the D5100, I'll end up focusing just ahead or just behind my subject. Either way I'm going to try out my next camera in a store and see how it operates. Maybe try and rent one for a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nop posted:

Do you think the D7000 would be better at dealing with a narrow DoF? Even in bright light that seems to be an issue with the D5100, I'll end up focusing just ahead or just behind my subject. Either way I'm going to try out my next camera in a store and see how it operates. Maybe try and rent one for a weekend.

It's a factor of how they make the focusing screen. If your model supports replacing it you can find cheap upgrades on eBay.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ZippySLC posted:

I actually felt dirty reading that article.

It's not an actual "article" though.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nop posted:

I'll try the focus dot again, but last I checked it wasn't really useful, especially in low light. I may look into upgrading to a D7000, at least it has a pentaprism with close to 1x magnification.

I would suggest looking at the idea of a Katzeye screen for MF lenses. http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Nikon-DSLRs--cat_nikon.html

I had one for my D700 and it owned hard.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I want to start using and old 70-200 Nikon lens my dad had on my Canon T3i; any adapter brand/model I should be on the lookout for?

I was eyeballing these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nikon+to+canon+eos&x=0&y=0

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Question about how many filters are too many.

I'm interested in getting a 77mm conkin grad filter holder, either p or z series. I currently have a 67mm thread on my 17-50mm tamron and have a step up ring to 77mm. On top of that I sometimes use a 77mm Hoya 9 stop ND filter and a 77mm marumi circular polarizer. There is no vignetting yet but would there be if I add a square filter holder on top of all that?

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 11, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm interested in getting a 77mm conkin grad filter holder, either p or z series. I currently have a 67mm thread on my 17-50mm tamron and have a step up ring to 77mm. On top of that I sometimes use a 77mm Hoya 9 stop ND filter and a 77mm marumi circular polarizer. There is not vignetting yet but would there be if I add a square filter holder on top of all that?
stacks on stacks on stacks

Yes you will most likely get vignetting with the setup you are proposing, especially if you ever use a lens wider than 17mm. In my experience you want the square filters as close so the lens as possible. My setup is often 1-2 LEE filters (Big Stopper 10x ND and then a graduated ND if needed) and finally a 105mm circular polarizer.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 11, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

stacks on stacks on stacks

Yes you will most likely get vignetting with the setup you are proposing, especially if you ever use a lens wider than 17mm. In my experience you want the square filters as close so the lens as possible. My setup is often 1-2 LEE filters (Big Stopped 10x ND and then a graduated ND if needed) and finally a 105mm circular polarizer.

haha, I love that crazy filter stack picture of yours.

I know you have a LEE filter system but do you know if the cokin system can hold circular filters in conjunction with square filters? I want to have at least my circular polarizer on the stack with a GND. Is a 3-stop GND a good place to start?

Thanks!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm interested in getting a 77mm conkin grad filter holder, either p or z series. I currently have a 67mm thread on my 17-50mm tamron and have a step up ring to 77mm. On top of that I sometimes use a 77mm Hoya 9 stop ND filter and a 77mm marumi circular polarizer. There is no vignetting yet but would there be if I add a square filter holder on top of all that?

If you ever plan to get a UWA lens at any point like a 14mm or whatever, get the Z holder now. Sure its HUGE but hey, it saves you additional spending in the long run.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Should I be worried about where I buy Eneloops from? I know there's always concern for counterfeit memory cards, so I assume other camera accessories can be suspect as well.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Should I be worried about where I buy Eneloops from? I know there's always concern for counterfeit memory cards, so I assume other camera accessories can be suspect as well.

I wasn't but I am slightly now.

I've had no problems just getting 20 packs on amazon, always holds charge way longer than I expect.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
I'd like to pick up a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 to go with a new Canon 6D, but is there any reason to wait until it's redesigned (like the new 35mm f/1.4 Art)?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If you're worried, check Costco - I see 10 packs there from time to time.

Instrumedley posted:

I'd like to pick up a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 to go with a new Canon 6D, but is there any reason to wait until it's redesigned (like the new 35mm f/1.4 Art)?
I wouldn't expect them to refresh that lens anytime soon, it's a fairly new design and is still highly respected. I'd expect a redesigned 24-70mm f/2.8 or a 135mm f/2 or faster before a refreshed 50mm f/1.4. I wouldn't wait, it might be a long wait.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 14, 2013

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Instrumedley posted:

Local supplier for Sigma has outright stated that while the 50mm/85mm f1.4 will get a redesign the optics will be the same, the 35mm f1.4 was a totally new lens. Grain of salt of course but I've not known them to be wrong. If you don't mind about having different looking primes I'd pick them up the moment Sigma announces re-badged 50/85 as most places will drop trou to get them gone before the new ones come in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, it makes sense for them to update the 50/1.4 to work with their dock system and such, even if they keep the glass the same.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bob Socko posted:

I wouldn't expect them to refresh that lens anytime soon, it's a fairly new design and is still highly respected. I'd expect a redesigned 24-70mm f/2.8 or a 135mm f/2 or faster before a refreshed 50mm f/1.4. I wouldn't wait, it might be a long wait.
I'd like a refreshed 24-70mm, because the current one is so-so.

However, Sigma has a tendency to announce something and drag its release for months. Back on my 550D, I wanted to get a 50-150mm, but their stabilized version. There was almost a year between announcement and availability.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The problem is that the glass will be the same, but the resale value will drop because it's a version 1.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

nop posted:

The D7000, D7100 is a bit better than that, but after using film cameras (FM2 and others) for a while I still find the D7k viewfinder to be smallish, dark and confining. This is of course completely subjective, but I basically wanted to warn you not to expect a major improvement over the D5100, because you compared it to a film camera earlier.

I guess the best advice is always to go to a shop and fondle some cameras.
This tells you way more than internet spergs or even reviews ever can.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want the biggest, brightest viewfinder, get a mirrorless camera. You'll get a 3 or 4 inch backlit screen to look at.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Nikon 1 and a loupe!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s hard to beat large format.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Platystemon posted:

It’s hard to beat large format.

lookit dat ground glass :drat:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

MrBlandAverage posted:

That bellows doesn't know what the hell to do.

Fred Miranda Jr
Jul 10, 2012

I spend endless hours in front of the computer perfecting techniques for the digital format.

HPL posted:

If you want the biggest, brightest viewfinder, get a mirrorless camera. You'll get a 3 or 4 inch backlit screen to look at.

EVFs and LCD screens suffer from being pixelated. An optical viewfinder has as much detail as the lens and your eye can resolve, so you can tell EXACTLY what's in focus. Very important when using f/1.2L lenses.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

The D7000, D7100 is a bit better than that, but after using film cameras (FM2 and others) for a while I still find the D7k viewfinder to be smallish, dark and confining. This is of course completely subjective, but I basically wanted to warn you not to expect a major improvement over the D5100, because you compared it to a film camera earlier.

I guess the best advice is always to go to a shop and fondle some cameras.
This tells you way more than internet spergs or even reviews ever can.

Yeah, I'll definitely be fondling a D7000 before I buy one. And even then I'll probably end up buying a focusing screen for it. I've been messing around with the different screens for my FM2 and I can't believe how much easier it is. I have a feeling that when all is said and done I'll just shoot film for most things. I could always get a rangefinder camera ;)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Fred Miranda Jr posted:

EVFs and LCD screens suffer from being pixelated. An optical viewfinder has as much detail as the lens and your eye can resolve, so you can tell EXACTLY what's in focus. Very important when using f/1.2L lenses.

Except that exactly 0 cameras on the market come with focus screens that can accurately show depth of field of lenses faster than f2.8.

In fact, this is one distinct area that EVFs absolutely excel at - they can show you the exact image that will be produced when you click the shutter, depth of field and all.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Walk into the club like "what's up I gotta big contact print".

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Fred Miranda Jr posted:

First, there's the issue with the focusing screen, as already mentioned.
Secondly if you can tell focus just by looking at the tiny rear end DOF through a just as tiny-rear end viewfinder, without any prism collar, split image or anything else, I have a bridge to sell to you.

How tiny is the DOF? Very. I tried focusing a f/0.9 equivalent lens on a large ground glass screen without any focusing aid, besides a loupe. It was a huge PITA.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 16, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

"This *is* my point-and-shoot, all day every day....

... to clarify, it takes all day to point it, and another day to shoot it."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bobfather posted:

Except that exactly 0 cameras on the market come with focus screens that can accurately show depth of field of lenses faster than f2.8.

In fact, this is one distinct area that EVFs absolutely excel at - they can show you the exact image that will be produced when you click the shutter, depth of field and all.

Interchangeable focusing screens called. :colbert:

EVFs will never get the colour and contrast right. Mirrorless cameras have their place, but the EVF is a necessary evil, not a feature.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Platystemon posted:

Interchangeable focusing screens called. :colbert:

EVFs will never get the colour and contrast right. Mirrorless cameras have their place, but the EVF is a necessary evil, not a feature.

OVFs don't get colour and contrast right either. The EVF at least shows things as they will be recorded whereas the OVF only shows what you see, not what will be recorded. EVFs are great for shooting B&W because you see exactly what you're getting. They're also great because you see true depth of field live as opposed to always working at wide open aperture and then flipping over to a super dark DOF preview mode.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
At the risk of going all fanboy, I prefer EVF now. Yes the color and contrast are not correct, resolution is an issue, but having a live histogram is huge to me.

The killer feature for EVF, for me, is being able to "see" in black and white. Shooting in raw with B&W picture style gives me the EVF display in black and white, but I still get a color raw file so that I can tweak the B&W color mix in lightroom or SEP.

As far as checking critical focus, I also shoot with a 5D2 (for now) and often use a 85mm F/1.4 manual focus lens which I like to shoot wide open, with the replacement precision focusing screen, and I have as good or better results using live view and magic lantern's 10x picture-in-picture magnification. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to hold the camera stable while shooting live view so this is pretty much a tripod only method.

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
SMDH if you people need to see the scene in B&W on the camera to shoot in B&W.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
I mean I shot BW through OVF like everyone else for several years but now that I have an EVF it's nice to have.

Colors sometimes get in the way of our perception of value. My art teacher taught me to look through a framed piece of red cellophane, to take the color out of the scene for judging value for drawings. It's actually very helpful. Yes, you can get by without it though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

Colors sometimes get in the way of our perception of value. My art teacher taught me to look through a framed piece of red cellophane, to take the color out of the scene for judging value for drawings. It's actually very helpful. Yes, you can get by without it though.

To be honest the best way is to just blow though a few rolls of B+W film and develop it. It's not difficult and it accustoms you to seeing contrast instead of color. I highly recommend doing a 50mm or a wide/normal/tele kit as it also helps you with the ability to mentally frame your shot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 16, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I was very confused for a while on what made a photo a great photo. It's almost certain that the photo looks good in black and white. I always wondered why. A professor that I know who used to work for Nat Geo told me it is about tonality, or the way light and dark interact. It was a very revealing thing to me. Being human, we see in color so sometimes that take priority. Tonality is a perspective that can be seen, but many photographers spend their entire lives searching for it and developing the skill to "see" the shot before they take it.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

To be honest the best way is to just blow though a few rolls of B+W film and develop it. It's not difficult and it accustoms you to seeing contrast instead of color. I highly recommend doing a 50mm or a wide/normal/tele kit as it also helps you with the ability to mentally frame your shot.

I am not new to shooting B&W.

I just find it nice to have. If I am choosing whether the EVF is in color or not, I am going to choose not. If I didn't have the option to have B&W EVF, I wouldn't fret about it. But I like having it.

If it's a silly amateur feature, that's fine with me. I like silly amateur features.

Not sure what focal length has to do with this but i'm a 28mm/50mm/85mm prime kit guy myself, wouldn't have it any other way.

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 16, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
All of the visual arts are ultimately about light and shadow. I feel that an understanding of this is necessary for creating pictures that will elicit an emotional response from viewers. If you need tools to help you, that's okay, but the goal should be to understand it so well that you abandon the tools and just work intuitively.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

casa de mi padre posted:

All of the visual arts are ultimately about light and shadow. I feel that an understanding of this is necessary for creating pictures that will elicit an emotional response from viewers. If you need tools to help you, that's okay, but the goal should be to understand it so well that you abandon the tools and just work intuitively.

Yup, this.

You know those weird sideways wheels they put on a kids bicycle, to help them learn to ride a bicycle? Yeah studies show that they are actually impeding learning how to properly ride and balance a bicycle.
Speaking in this metaphor: Falling down is normal and part of the experience, embrace it, get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Not seeing color in the viewfinder is equivalent to training wheels? Really?

What about chimping to check exposure? Are we not allowed to look at histograms either? Where does it stop?