Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Last one for a bit I promise:

Was out making night landscapes at 2:30am on cinco de mayo and one of these guys asked me for a photo, so I had them jump in a garden behind some floodlights and did a 4s exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Tested Sue Bryce's vflat/natural light approach... pretty neat :)

IMG_2352 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2306 by avoyer, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If by nice you mean sickly, yes.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Reichstag posted:

If by nice you mean sickly, yes.

Sorry if I'm not edgy as you are. Seems we both enjoy doing what we do so that's all I care about :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

xenilk posted:

I like the first one a lot more. I like how her body is open toward the camera. The white balance seems quite a bit different between the two pics, too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xenilk posted:

The first one would be a lot better if it were warmer. The second one unflatteringly emphasizes her arm and two front teeth. (Please also get your model to make a different facial expression - give her some direction other than "stare at the camera blankly.")

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't know where it started or how it's become so widespread but I've never asked someone to model who hadn't seriously modeled before where they defaulted to anything but slack-jawed blank doe-eyed stare. That isn't attractive on anyone.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't know where it started or how it's become so widespread but I've never asked someone to model who hadn't seriously modeled before where they defaulted to anything but slack-jawed blank doe-eyed stare. That isn't attractive on anyone.

Male gaze informs aesthetic, men desire compliant/submissive women etc etc etc I graduated from university and I can still barely pay rent.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Interesting discussion going on. On a personal perspective I always reset the smile at first (relaxed jaw) and work from there to get the person more comfortable and get to guide them to start using expressions after a bit. Those two pictures aren't representative of the whole shoot and she's by no mean a model, just a client who wanted a shoot.

There are plenty of other pictures of her smiling/giving a bit of a smirk. I will try to shuffle my selection more when I post it here in the future.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

MrBlandAverage posted:

The second one unflatteringly emphasizes her arm and two front teeth.
Am I the only one who likes to emphasize unique parts of models?

I wanted to shoot a lady who complained that her nose was too big and that was the entire reason I wanted to shoot her. In a world of average noses and normal teeth, I like what's different.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

mouth slightly open is a great direction to give because it is an easy way to stop a model from having a tight jaw and lips.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Retail photography ain't that bad :unsmith:. I dare you to try to get that many people/kids all looking at the camera without blinking and for the most part, all smiling (Toddlers hate photos).

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

rcman50166 posted:

Retail photography ain't that bad :unsmith:. I dare you to try to get that many people/kids all looking at the camera without blinking and for the most part, all smiling (Toddlers hate photos).

It looks like you need to add some fill light coming from camera left.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

RangerScum posted:

It looks like you need to add some fill light coming from camera left.

It does need it. There actually isn't even a light there. I'm not sure who designed the studio but camera left has always been a little dark.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2010.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2033.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You might want to check your monitor because it looks like I'm seeing this image through a clear pane of urine.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

dukeku posted:

You might want to check your monitor because it looks like I'm seeing this image through a clear pane of urine.

The new Serrano.A filter from Lee isn't for everyone.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Man, posing is such a pain in the rear end. This is my first attempt at a senior portrait:

Stole the idea for the last one from the photo stitching posts. Don't kill me.
Ugh the quality is a bit low, I think it got upscaled, stupid Facebook. Also, morning summer sun is kind of a bitch to deal with especially in the grass.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

xenilk posted:

Interesting discussion going on. On a personal perspective I always reset the smile at first (relaxed jaw) and work from there to get the person more comfortable and get to guide them to start using expressions after a bit. Those two pictures aren't representative of the whole shoot and she's by no mean a model, just a client who wanted a shoot.

There are plenty of other pictures of her smiling/giving a bit of a smirk. I will try to shuffle my selection more when I post it here in the future.

Why did you post less good shots from the set? I'm not a fan of the "she's not a model so she looks bad" line - I photograph a lot of people who aren't models and I (admittedly, certainly not always) get a natural expression out of them. That is part of portraiture. You can't just expect to shoot people who always know what to do in front of camera.

You are good and you have exhibited good work here on several occasions before. This is nowhere near your best. Don't get lazy and don't throw up weak excuses. Put the effort in.

Maybe I'm being too strong and you were putting this up purely for a lighting effect example, although I'm not sure what's distinctive about the lighting approach, either.

rcman50166 posted:

It does need it. There actually isn't even a light there. I'm not sure who designed the studio but camera left has always been a little dark.

Are you saying you're not allowed to add fill? Good job on the eyes being open, though. I bloody HATE group shots.

I should put myself on the block if I'm going to come posting with my grump on. Here are a couple of shots from a recent session.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

Are you saying you're not allowed to add fill? Good job on the eyes being open, though. I bloody HATE group shots.

Allowed implies there's something—anything—to put there for fill in the first place.

Chain retail studios in the US are not what most photographers would call well-equipped. Or equipped, for that matter.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

I should put myself on the block if I'm going to come posting with my grump on. Here are a couple of shots from a recent session.

First, I will say I can only speculate on what you were going for so I could be totally misreading these.

These look really, really flat and washed out, which seems intentional but I can't figure out why. It kinda suits the first one because it's a really soft, demure pose, but the direct center composition of the second and her eyes being wide open staring at the viewer feels like the photo should have an intensity to it and the processing seems to be working in direct opposition to what the photo is conveying. The dead-on look with her hair covering one side of her face also makes her jaw look really blocky and asymmetrical compared to the nice curve it has in the first.

Super nitpicky but you did a good job of softening her skin except for a small patch of make-up in the left corner of her mouth which could probably stand to be cleaned up to fit the overall photo better.

I do like them generally, though, and the lighting is awesome.

And I don't mean to offend your artistic sensibilities and I apologize if this is overstepping, but I did a quick photoshop to show you what I was trying to say so you can more easily determine for yourself if you think it would be an improvement or not. All I did was adjust curves and do a little dodging/burning and sharpening of the eyes. Her skin needs more cleaning up now, but I think it overall suits the "feel" of the photo more. It could just be we have different personal tastes and you hate my suggestion, though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

While I do personally prefer the post-work in the second one am I crazy or does it make her jaw look larger on the right side to anyone but me?

Is it alright for me to drop this here as a cross-post from photodump? The more I look at it the more I like it and want some feedback on it.

I did some blemish touch-ups in Lightroom, along with bumping up the exposure and boosting the mid-tones which brought out the face. I upped the contrast a bit to make up for the enhanced exposure/mid-tones. I used the iris-enhancer and teethwhitener but tuned both those down to about 1/2 of what they are normally.

I brought it into Photoshop and then ran it through Color Efex pro doing a touch of Procontrast and a Dynamic Skin Softener (enough to make the skin look better without taking away anything from major lines in the face because that just looks really odd/airbrushed to me).

IMG_6782 by Aidan R, on Flickr

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 15, 2013

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

First, I will say I can only speculate on what you were going for so I could be totally misreading these.

These look really, really flat and washed out, which seems intentional but I can't figure out why. It kinda suits the first one because it's a really soft, demure pose, but the direct center composition of the second and her eyes being wide open staring at the viewer feels like the photo should have an intensity to it and the processing seems to be working in direct opposition to what the photo is conveying. The dead-on look with her hair covering one side of her face also makes her jaw look really blocky and asymmetrical compared to the nice curve it has in the first.

Super nitpicky but you did a good job of softening her skin except for a small patch of make-up in the left corner of her mouth which could probably stand to be cleaned up to fit the overall photo better.

I do like them generally, though, and the lighting is awesome.

And I don't mean to offend your artistic sensibilities and I apologize if this is overstepping, but I did a quick photoshop to show you what I was trying to say so you can more easily determine for yourself if you think it would be an improvement or not. All I did was adjust curves and do a little dodging/burning and sharpening of the eyes. Her skin needs more cleaning up now, but I think it overall suits the "feel" of the photo more. It could just be we have different personal tastes and you hate my suggestion, though.

You're dead right on the jaw thing. It is mad uneven-looking. I was more uncertain of the second one and whether it was quite right: I did that thing where I convinced myself that the issues "weren't that bad" because I liked her expression so much. I feel like her eye looks kinda woozy, too.

Processing-wise, I'm just doing this low contrast, washed out thing at the moment, just because I like it. Don't worry, I'm not so precious as to be offended by you having a go at re-processing my work. I would say, though, that (again I guess this is personal preference kicking in) I'm not keen on the alternate version. It looks way too harsh to my eyes. That's almost certainly because I'm more about the light touch and this whole "flat" aesthetic at the moment. I like the muted feel it gives. I'm trying to make it feel a bit ethereal and understated. I have no idea if I'm getting anywhere near that feel with these, but I don't want a "vibrant" look as such. I also should have masked out her skin to make the pores less visible, to be honest.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
I prefer the low contrast version myself as well.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

I prefer the low contrast version myself as well.

Agreed - and my personal style is the super high-contrast thing. The original seems more... inviting. While the high-contrast version has more "impact" I can't say I enjoy looking at it more.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
I think the low contrast version would be more interesting if the white background was white. When I see low contrast stuff where all the whites are a grey, it makes me assume that people just adjusted sliders without consideration for the whole image. Not saying that's what you did here.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

You're dead right on the jaw thing. It is mad uneven-looking. I was more uncertain of the second one and whether it was quite right: I did that thing where I convinced myself that the issues "weren't that bad" because I liked her expression so much. I feel like her eye looks kinda woozy, too.

Processing-wise, I'm just doing this low contrast, washed out thing at the moment, just because I like it. Don't worry, I'm not so precious as to be offended by you having a go at re-processing my work. I would say, though, that (again I guess this is personal preference kicking in) I'm not keen on the alternate version. It looks way too harsh to my eyes. That's almost certainly because I'm more about the light touch and this whole "flat" aesthetic at the moment. I like the muted feel it gives. I'm trying to make it feel a bit ethereal and understated. I have no idea if I'm getting anywhere near that feel with these, but I don't want a "vibrant" look as such. I also should have masked out her skin to make the pores less visible, to be honest.

All good. Like I said, I assumed it was intentional, and I do agree it fits the first photo perfectly.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

Why did you post less good shots from the set? I'm not a fan of the "she's not a model so she looks bad" line - I photograph a lot of people who aren't models and I (admittedly, certainly not always) get a natural expression out of them. That is part of portraiture. You can't just expect to shoot people who always know what to do in front of camera.

You are good and you have exhibited good work here on several occasions before. This is nowhere near your best. Don't get lazy and don't throw up weak excuses. Put the effort in.

Maybe I'm being too strong and you were putting this up purely for a lighting effect example, although I'm not sure what's distinctive about the lighting approach, either.

Out of curiosity did you try liquify to make her jaw less uneven? Personnaly I think it looks kind of cool but I'm guessing she might not buy/like the image if it's not fixed?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Nah. I don't like using liquify or anything like that. If it's not right, I just throw it out. This was reference stuff for some hair and make up students, but I love this model so I spent some time just trying other stuff out that wasn't just "turn this way, turn that way".

The more I look at her jaw the more it looks like she's been hit with a really heavy left hook. there's stuff I like about it but I think I'm going to swap it out of my folio for something else. Can't unsee destroyed jaw.

casa de mi padre posted:

I think the low contrast version would be more interesting if the white background was white. When I see low contrast stuff where all the whites are a grey, it makes me assume that people just adjusted sliders without consideration for the whole image. Not saying that's what you did here.

Heh, I actually altered the background to make it less white - I wanted a sort of overall tone and the background didn't please me when it was too white. I also loathe pure white and prefer "fashion grey", for want of a less insidious term.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2013

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

So last night there was this 'meet and greet' of local photographers. Really awesome concept. They hired a model and let like 20 of us take her picture all at the same time.

I am BRAND new to photography, especially when it comes to models. I didn't pose her at all, some other people did and I just took shots where everybody else was taking shots.

I'm going to post a few of what I took. Can anybody tell me what I'm 'looking for' in terms of composition as well as how I should be 'making these look great' color wise in Lightroom? God I need a photography lightroom tutorial or something for people. Everybody kept going on and on about color, but I have a feeling they were also going to mess with things after the fact.

People kept making reference to the 'catch 10' or something like that. Referring to shadows going across her face. No idea

FYI I know she isn't looking at me or modeling for me, there were 20 of us, so I just captured whatever I could.

IMG_6623.jpg by Shockwave, on Flickr

IMG_6659.jpg by Shockwave, on Flickr

IMG_6627.jpg by Shockwave, on Flickr

Dr. Shockwave fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 16, 2013

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

I think meet and greet can be fun at first to learn photography but you'll realize it's way easier to learn when you have a model all for yourself. That way you can learn from your mistake (and not someone else's) and not just try to snap a shot while everyone is going at it with this one girl. Also, that way you're sure to make the shot the way you'd originally wanted to.

Oh and hopefully your meet and greets aren't like the ones here where it's just a bunch of old dudes snapping shots at young girls (that poo poo creep me out).

As for a critique on your shots I'll go with the usual watch your horizon line (crooked horizon never really works well with a picture since that's not how you're used to see the horizon).

Critique-wise here it is:
- All three pictures: always try to have straight horizons
- First picture: I think that's your strongest one, I might have went closer since there's a lot of space over her and it's not filled with anything.
- Second picture: I like it technically but it would have been a much much stronger picture if it was taken from the front (but I understand there were probably tons of people right in front of her)
- Third picture: looks about the same time of people who go to the meets and greet here! ha ha.

Edit: Here are a few of mine I recently retouched.

IMG_2450 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2425 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2399 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 16, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012

xenilk posted:

Oh and hopefully your meet and greets aren't like the ones here where it's just a bunch of old dudes snapping shots at young girls (that poo poo creep me out).
I went to a couple of these and was creeped out and didn't get any good shots. I gave up and started hiring my own models and magically my poo poo improved quickly.

A "meet and greet" is much more useful if it's actually a group class where everyone gets feedback and is given their own time to get good shots. 10 guys huddled around a frail-looking young woman makes me feel like I'm in a strip club.

I think the petals in the background distract. The flowers on the model's hair and then the long curls on the left side do a great job of leading the eye around the face.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've decided to start cold requesting portraits from people on the street. This is WAY out of my comfort zone, but hopefully I'll end up with something cool.

IMG_5723 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_5724 by philip painter, on Flickr

And one of my youngest son.

IMG_5730 by philip painter, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

DSC03447 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03476 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03461 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03486 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Same poo poo different day. But I did try to be more colorful this time.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

LargeHadron posted:

DSC03447 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03476 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03461 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

She has a prominent forehead, so shots from above are a bad idea. Also, I think she'd benefit from tilting her head a bit.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

LargeHadron posted:

These are solid, in addition to the above post, she needs her face framed by her hair, she doesn't have the jawline for hair totally over one shoulder. (or a darker background, but I like your background)

These are not my best work but I'm trying to teach myself to use direct and mottled light more. It involves alot of post work and isn't as flattering as an overcast day or diffused sun/strobes but I like it.

Today I had a pick-up day on a little student docu-drama I’d been helping out on about renaissance/medieval fairs. Since it was only three hours shooting I had a little time to go explore; This is the blacksmith, a man about six foot tall of moderate but muscular build. The light outside his little hut was lovely and mottled so I asked for his photo, despite bending white hot metal like it was nothing he was not particularly comfortable in front of the camera, and I regret not getting a better shot of his eyes nor his burnt and calloused hands. I should have got him to look up to really bring out the eyes. The necklace he wears is twisted from two pieces of iron, a skill that his apprentices used for fashioning love hearts to give to the girls in the crowd.

And a quick test with a friend at a local park, not 100% on her posing, already noted that her right eye should be framed by the face to not appear googl-y. Bit of a shame, she's an ex-model and therefore quite easy to work with.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 18, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Missed focus, but she's a spaz.

IMG_5757 by philip painter, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I like.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

I really like the texture of these. It has a slightly late-sixties thing going on, to my mind.

Content:

This guy plays in the local Powerchair Football League. He's a top bloke, loves his football.

He normally hates having his photo taken as he's not always in full control of his muscles and thus can have some awkward facial expressions. I took a different approach, sitting and joking with him for a while and, when he looked away for a second, hit the button.

20130518-IMG_5865 by efcso1, on Flickr

efcso fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 20, 2013