Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

taco show posted:

I'm looking for a funny/charming, adventure-y book. I haven't read much fantasy since grade school so the only references for the style I'm aiming for are Howl's Moving Castle or Ella Enchanted. I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore which was fun, if a little too pat. Maybe along the lines of The Mummy if it was a book?

The Discworld series for sure! Not quite like the mummy, but there's awesome British comedy mixed with fun adventures.
Here's a recommended reading order guide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

What are some good layman's books on basic economic theory? As in, "assume I know nothing about economics" basic.
Are you looking for a personal finance angle? Historical? Self-help? Lots of math? It's a pretty big genre.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

BlazinLow305 posted:

Can someone recommend some fantasy somewhat similar to A Song of Ice and Fire? Not really sure how to explain what I'm looking for. I just know I really enjoyed that series, and it seems like the feel of the series is hard to find. I basically enjoyed the POV chapters, the fact magic wasn't simply everywhere and anyone could us it, I enjoyed whatever you'd call the system/politics of the houses and lords. I also liked how the series had a generally darker tone. I've read some forgotten realms stuff which I sometimes enjoy but is mostly the opposite of all that. I also have tried Malazan, and while it's pretty complicated and hard to get into I'm not in the mood for that now though I'm eventually going to try it again. Also, I've already read Abercrombie. Since Game of Thrones has been on again lately, it's really making me miss reading ASoIaF. I'm afraid there's nothing to replace the void, because I generally keep up with this forum and I figure if there was anything similar and just as interesting I'd have heard of it by now.

I know this is from a few pages back but I really enjoyed David B. Coe's Lon Tobyn Chronicle series starting with Children of Amarid. Magic users are rare but featured, using bird familiars they bind with to cast spells. There's also a trial and you get to see their political system, and the story shifts around to several different characters throughout the novel.

Granted I was like 15 when I read this but it stuck with me!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any recommendations for books about Nikola Tesla?

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
I'm looking for mainly non-fiction books/textbooks that concern the economic system of the Byzantine Empire.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mike Cartwright posted:

I'm looking for mainly non-fiction books/textbooks that concern the economic system of the Byzantine Empire.

A friend says The Byzantine Economy by Laiou and Morrisson is the standard text.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books on Mexico? Fiction, non-fiction, I'm open to anything you've got. My only real preference is that I'd prefer something set after Spain arrived, but any time between Cortés first setting foot in the Yucatán to the modern day would be great. Thanks in advance!

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
What can you guys recommend in the way of Chomsky's work on linguistics?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Anyone got any recs for books with good love stories? I think that a book with a legit good love story is pretty rare. I realized that, other than Pride and Prejudice and Gone With The Wind, I've never really read a book where I was actually interested in the couple in question - it's usually something that I kind of look at and go "oh, okay, whatever" - so yeah, hit me with some good love stories.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Have you tried Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov? Another good one is Pamela by Samuel Richardson.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

satchmo.joe
Oct 24, 2012
Please point me to some good mil sci-fi. Not too John Ringo, more Steve White-ish? Also my kindle will puke if someone says David Drake.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

barkingclam posted:

Have you tried Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov? Another good one is Pamela by Samuel Richardson.
Oh, yeah, I read Lolita! That was such a great book - one of my favorites - though I guess I didn't really see it as a 'love story' haha. Thanks for the rec! Will look into Pamela and Evidence of Things Unseen.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Akarshi posted:

Anyone got any recs for books with good love stories? I think that a book with a legit good love story is pretty rare. I realized that, other than Pride and Prejudice and Gone With The Wind, I've never really read a book where I was actually interested in the couple in question - it's usually something that I kind of look at and go "oh, okay, whatever" - so yeah, hit me with some good love stories.

Some Short Stories:

- "A Girl I Knew" by J.D. Salinger (search online)
- "The Lady with the Dog" by Anton Chekhov (gotta be widely available online)
- "L. DeBard and Aliette: a Love Story" by Lauren Groff (I have it in Best American Short Stories 2007, but was published originally in Atlantic Monthly)
- Jeffrey Eugenides edited a short story collection of love stories that I think actually includes the Chekhov one I listed above.

For a novel, I actually really like The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and Atonement by Ian McEwan. Of course, you could also check out everything else by Austen.

It's poetry, but Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese are amazing and beautiful.

EDIT: If you read Pamela you have to read Shamela by Fielding. You have to.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

satchmo.joe posted:

Please point me to some good mil sci-fi. Not too John Ringo, more Steve White-ish? Also my kindle will puke if someone says David Drake.

Have you read Scalzi's Old Man's War?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You've got few choices in mil sci-fi, it's pretty standard stuff. You aren't going to find any Steve White-ish stuff, since Sector General Hospital was specifically and famously pacifist and non-military. Joe Haldeman's Forever War/Peace comes close in it's disdain for the entire thing. Read John Steakley's Armor. Avoiding David Drake (RCN series isn't that bad, mostly because it wasn't his template), if you want spaceships you should check out Ian Douglas's Star Carrier series and Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet. If you're looking at political implications, civilian issues, C.J. Cherryh's Downbelow Station is where it's at. If you want ground combat, look at Robert Buettner's Orphan's... series, Steven L. Kent's Clone series, and also maybe check out Jack McDevitt's Talent for War or Seeker or Timothy Zahn's The Icarus Hunt (no it's good, really) for a more investigatory, extended detachment government arm stuff.

Edit: plus Scalzi, as above.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 13, 2013

satchmo.joe
Oct 24, 2012
I've read Steakley, Haldeman and Buettner's stuff. I will check out Douglas Zahn Mcdevitt and Kent's books this week. Thank you for all the recommendations as well.

Kinda shocked no one threw down the classics of the genre (Dorsai/Starship Troopers). And let us not forget Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion.

On a side note can anyone remember a 70's book about a modern day Tamerlane/Genghis Khan over throwing the USSR and then invading the USA?

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

satchmo.joe posted:

On a side note can anyone remember a 70's book about a modern day Tamerlane/Genghis Khan over throwing the USSR and then invading the USA?
Sounds like it might be M.J. Engh's Arslan (1976).

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Akarshi posted:

The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery - maybe not as sweeping as Atonement or Time Traveler's Wife, but so, so good.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

satchmo.joe posted:

The Vorkosigan Saga by Louis McMaster Bujold has a lot of military in general, though most books aren't really focused on it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Can anyone recommend books that give really evocative portrayals of cities? Non-fiction is okay, but I would prefer fiction and the more literary the better. Not even entire books, just a really good solid chapter or passage would be fantastic if you know of one.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Can anyone recommend books that give really evocative portrayals of cities? Non-fiction is okay, but I would prefer fiction and the more literary the better. Not even entire books, just a really good solid chapter or passage would be fantastic if you know of one.
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin is a very literary magical realist ode to the idea of New York City.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Could anybody recommend books in which the main character is a natural leader, basically somebody with a personality similar to Mal Reynolds from Firefly or Hank Moody from Californication (the TV shows)? The genre doesn't matter at all!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Old Man's War!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lex Talionis posted:

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin is a very literary magical realist ode to the idea of New York City.

Seconding this, Winters Tale is fantastic.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Illegal Move posted:

Could anybody recommend books in which the main character is a natural leader, basically somebody with a personality similar to Mal Reynolds from Firefly or Hank Moody from Californication (the TV shows)? The genre doesn't matter at all!

All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. Wikipedia describes it s follows: All the King's Men portrays the dramatic political rise and governorship of Willie Stark, a cynical populist in the American South during the 1930s. The novel is narrated by Jack Burden, a political reporter who comes to work as Governor Stark's right-hand man. The trajectory of Stark's career is interwoven with Jack Burden's life story and philosophical reflections: "the story of Willie Stark and the story of Jack Burden are, in one sense, one story."

It's a really good book and fits your criteria perfectly.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Chronic City

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just watched the 2011 version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and loved it, I was wondering if the novel(s) are worth picking up for someone, like me, who has never read any spy fiction at all (unless Hunt For Red October counts, I guess).

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

a kitten posted:

I just watched the 2011 version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and loved it, I was wondering if the novel(s) are worth picking up for someone, like me, who has never read any spy fiction at all (unless Hunt For Red October counts, I guess).

Definitely, le Carre is a great writer. His plots can get ridiculously complicated though, so don't be afraid to look up summaries to follow along at points. I had to look up what the hell some of the cold war technology he talks about was too.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Lex Talionis posted:

funkybottoms posted:

Chronic City

Thanks for these, I'll give both a shot.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
After watching HBO's Game of Thrones i got pretty interested in reading the books. But the problem is i'm hearing there are seven books. I looked online and i find sets of 5 or 6 books with roughly the same total pages.
I'm looking to buy this set.
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/a-game-of-thrones-5-copy-boxed-set/9200000002311711/ but there is also this set http://www.bol.com/nl/p/lies-boeken...26itm_role%3din
and the total pages are almost the same.
Does the 5 set cover the whole story? Because the other sets I saw are also roughly 5200 pages.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sefal posted:

After watching HBO's Game of Thrones i got pretty interested in reading the books. But the problem is i'm hearing there are seven books. I looked online and i find sets of 5 or 6 books with roughly the same total pages.
I'm looking to buy this set.
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/a-game-of-thrones-5-copy-boxed-set/9200000002311711/ but there is also this set http://www.bol.com/nl/p/lies-boeken...26itm_role%3din
and the total pages are almost the same.
Does the 5 set cover the whole story? Because the other sets I saw are also roughly 5200 pages.

There are currently five books in the series, it's just that the books are so long that some publishers like to split them up. That seven book set has the third and fifth books in the series split into two each. So you will be getting the same series either way.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

There are currently five books in the series, it's just that the books are so long that some publishers like to split them up. That seven book set has the third and fifth books in the series split into two each. So you will be getting the same series either way.

Thank you for clarifying that up.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I don't know much about famous paintings and sculptures, so I would like a book that includes biographies of famous artists with pictures and descriptions of their most famous works. When I tried to find famous books about art I came across Lives of the Most Eminemt Painters, Sculptors, and Architects (1550) by Giorgio Vasari, which seems nice but without pictures and seems to be mostly about the artists themselves, and On Painting (1435) by Leon Battista Alberti, which seems to be more about the philosophies behind art in general, again without pictures!

I would like a collection geared more toward the classics, but I have no problem with reading about contemporary artists either!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Fun Times! posted:

I don't know much about famous paintings and sculptures, so I would like a book that includes biographies of famous artists with pictures and descriptions of their most famous works. When I tried to find famous books about art I came across Lives of the Most Eminemt Painters, Sculptors, and Architects (1550) by Giorgio Vasari, which seems nice but without pictures and seems to be mostly about the artists themselves, and On Painting (1435) by Leon Battista Alberti, which seems to be more about the philosophies behind art in general, again without pictures!

I would like a collection geared more toward the classics, but I have no problem with reading about contemporary artists either!

E. H. Gombrich's "The Story of Art" pretty much ends in the first half of the XX century, but it's a wonderful intro to paintings, sculptures and a bit of architecture. There are more than 400 full-colour pictures of artworks, clear and interesting explanations why they're important, biographies of artists and styles and tons of info on how to 'read' an artwork.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Burning Rain posted:

E. H. Gombrich's "The Story of Art" pretty much ends in the first half of the XX century, but it's a wonderful intro to paintings, sculptures and a bit of architecture. There are more than 400 full-colour pictures of artworks, clear and interesting explanations why they're important, biographies of artists and styles and tons of info on how to 'read' an artwork.

That sounds loving sick. Thank you!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I'm fascinated by Islamic Spain. Does anyone know any good simple fiction, alt history, or even outright fantasy that involves historical events like the fall of the Visigothic Kingdom, the Cordoban Caliphate, or the Taifa Kingdoms? I'm not too interested in crusader narratives or stories from the Christian side of the Reconquista, but anything from the Muslim side would be great.

The novels I've found so far that involve this region/period are The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. So anything at least as tied as them to Muslim Iberia would be interesting.

Additionally, I am also interested in suggestions for good historical or non-fiction books on this time period/geographical area. I've read The Legacy of Muslim Spain and at least one other book about the crusades, but they were just what I found in the library that got me interested in this. So I'm curious what the best accounts of this period are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LtStorm posted:

I'm fascinated by Islamic Spain. Does anyone know any good simple fiction, alt history, or even outright fantasy that involves historical events like the fall of the Visigothic Kingdom, the Cordoban Caliphate, or the Taifa Kingdoms? I'm not too interested in crusader narratives or stories from the Christian side of the Reconquista, but anything from the Muslim side would be great.

The novels I've found so far that involve this region/period are The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. So anything at least as tied as them to Muslim Iberia would be interesting.

Additionally, I am also interested in suggestions for good historical or non-fiction books on this time period/geographical area. I've read The Legacy of Muslim Spain and at least one other book about the crusades, but they were just what I found in the library that got me interested in this. So I'm curious what the best accounts of this period are.

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay and The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold are both fantastic. They're fantasy novels set in fantasy versions of reconquista-era Spain. Lions has characters from both the "christian" and "muslim" side, Chalion is mostly "Christian" side, but neither uses precise religion analogues (ex., in Lions it's sun worship vs. star worship, with one "Jewish" character worshiping the twin moons.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

LtStorm posted:

Tariq Ali has an "Islam Quintet," the first of which is Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree, a family saga about a Muslim family in the aftermath of the fall of Granada. It's one of those books I've had sitting on my shelf for like a year and have yet to get around to reading so I can't personally vouch for it's quality, but I figured I'd make you aware of it since it seems like it fits what you're talking about.