Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bogarts posted:

The getting newer guns also isn't quite as big of a deal as it was in the first game.

The hell it did! Once I got an RPK with a drum magazine I felt like Rambo the whole way through. 100 bullets of pain! :black101:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The reason Kill is the official ending is because it's also the official ending of the books.

Save was an optional side thing, put in as a joke.

In the book, Artyom realizes just what the Dark Ones were trying to do right before detonation. He proceeds to have a total mental breakdown due to the fact that he realizes he just committed Genocide against an intelligent species that meant no harm.

Not sure how spoilertastic that is. It regards the ending of the book and why Last Light couldn't be 2034 in terms of adaptation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calax posted:

In the book, Artyom realizes just what the Dark Ones were trying to do right before detonation. He proceeds to have a total mental breakdown due to the fact that he realizes he just committed Genocide against an intelligent species that meant no harm.

Not only did the Dark Ones mean no harm, they wanted to help humanity get out of the shithole that was the Metro. Artyom doomed humanity to stay in it. Metro 2033 is the most terrifying book I've ever read.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 16, 2013

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I got up to the part where you meet the red line party leader and he has the wrong dictator's mustache. Is he a secret admirer of the fuhrer? Being the head of the subway communists, you would think he would be rocking Stalin's stashe or a big old Karl Marx beard.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was playing around with the settings and I noticed running while running DX9 does avoid the major problems, it also cuts 10-15 fps away. Running DX11 in a section without the video card breaking fog or flickering shadows is much smoother at around 35-50 fps on very high. (AMD HD 7950). So they weren't kidding when they said it does run better in dx11, excluding the fog and shadow problems. I look forward to the fixes.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule
If there was one game I was not expecting boob and butt jiggle physics, Metro: Last Light was it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Zylen posted:

If there was one game I was not expecting boob and butt jiggle physics, Metro: Last Light was it.

I know, I laughed my rear end off at that bit (at least I assume we're thinking of the same thing).

On topic I'm kind of hating stealth, it seems FAR too easy compared to the original. It seems like I can walk circles around guards without them picking up on it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Any difficulty setting suggestions for someone going into Metro 2033 for the first time, in order to get the "best" experience?

Also my copy of Metro: Last Light for Xbox360 came in the mail today - I managed to score a brand-new sealed copy for $50, and it even includes the "limited edition" DLC like Ranger Mode, etc. :woop:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Any difficulty setting suggestions for someone going into Metro 2033 for the first time, in order to get the "best" experience?

Also my copy of Metro: Last Light for Xbox360 came in the mail today - I managed to score a brand-new sealed copy for $50, and it even includes the "limited edition" DLC like Ranger Mode, etc. :woop:

Plain old Range Mode honestly. Enemies are way more lethal but so are you.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Calax posted:

Not sure how spoilertastic that is. It regards the ending of the book and why Last Light couldn't be 2034 in terms of adaptation.

You might've seen advertisements for Metro 2035 while playing. (Mood-appropriate window dressing, I guess, but also advertisement for a book that nobody will be able to buy in English for two years...)

Metro 2035 is due later this year and is apparently going to be telling the same story as Last Light, but longer and denser.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Zylen posted:

I just felt embarrassed every time I saw it. It seems so out of place. Especially near the end (spoilers for ending) with the sex scene. I mean, really. First she hates you, then she disappears, reappears and thinks you're interesting. Then she's in love with you and wants to save the dark ones.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Bolow posted:

Plain old Range Mode honestly. Enemies are way more lethal but so are you.

If you do this don't skimp on buying filters else you may gently caress yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xenomrph posted:

If you have the Ranger dlc/PC bonus, you have some additional weapons too. Don't use the Volt Driver (railgun). It's gamebreakingly good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cheston posted:

You might've seen advertisements for Metro 2035 while playing. (Mood-appropriate window dressing, I guess, but also advertisement for a book that nobody will be able to buy in English for two years...)

Metro 2035 is due later this year and is apparently going to be telling the same story as Last Light, but longer and denser.
Has Metro 2034 even been released in English yet?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I haven't been playing long so can't comment on the gameplay but I can say that this game is hands down both the best looking game I've ever seen as well as the most optimized. I'm on a 460gtx, using the highest graphics setting, with tessellation on high, and I'm getting completely playable fps. Usually between 35 and 50.

I've been spending most of my time taking screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/9Szc4

I'm less than in hour in so there aren't really any spoilers in there. as I keep adding to them I'll try and keep it spoiler free.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My girlfriend gets motion sick unbelievably easily, and as such cannot play or watch someone else play first person games. This game marks the first time that has ever saddened me, because drat is it beautiful and I know she would really like it.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I love Bioshock Infinite but this game is slowly taking over as my GOTY. A miracle considering the conditions the devs had to work under. I hope this turns out to be a great success and they get the recognition and financial credit they so deserve. :unsmith:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Xenomrph posted:

Has Metro 2034 even been released in English yet?

Nope :( I'm probably going to have to learn another language to ever get a chance to read it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I've been spending most of my time taking screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/9Szc4

I've seen several dozen similar corpses, each tell a different depressing story; The most powerful one I've seen is the charred remains of a couple surrounded by burnt mutants, the couple are reaching out to one another, holding hands in their final moment, clasped between their grip is a petrol bomb. :smithicide:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Noirex posted:

I love Bioshock Infinite but this game is slowly taking over as my GOTY. A miracle considering the conditions the devs had to work under. I hope this turns out to be a great success and they get the recognition and financial credit they so deserve. :unsmith:

I still am in disbelief about the reviews for bioshock infinite. It's like they all just bought into the first few minutes of wow factor and ignored that the actual game as a whole. I though it rather boring, not really that fun or special in any way. In fact, I liked bioshock 1 a lot more. At least I didn't feel it deserved to be put up there with half life 2 in ratings.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
By the way: if you're not playing on ranger hardcore, do it. Its insanely immersive. No other game has ever made me feel "in it" as much as this. There's really nothing I can compare it too. If you're worried about it being too hard or something, don't be. This is my first time playing a game in this series and its going fine. Trust: when the developers say that ranger hardcore was the way the game was meant to be played, they REALLY mean it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alright thread, I need a hint because I feel like I'm missing something obvious and I've dicked around for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what I've missed. The below is spoilered, but I've tried to leave as much story stuff out of it as I can (and it's fairly early on) while still describing the area I mean.

I'm in the area shortly after you've wrecked the rail car thing that the Blacksmith gives you, heading to Venice. I've gotten to an area where there is a small bandit camp to the right, and a dead end tunnel to the left. At the end of the bandit camp is a wooden spike wall I can't get through. At the end of the dead end is a little alcove where there was a jump scare QTE where you walk up to get some military ammo and a watchman jumps out and tackles you. I have no idea how I am supposed to get through here, as I can't find a way through the spike wall and I can't get through the area where the jump scare occured because a train is blocking the hole and it is taller than crouch height.

I'm sure I am missing something super obvious, but I feel like I've checked everywhere.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zaodai posted:

Alright thread, I need a hint because I feel like I'm missing something obvious and I've dicked around for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what I've missed. The below is spoilered, but I've tried to leave as much story stuff out of it as I can (and it's fairly early on) while still describing the area I mean.

I'm in the area shortly after you've wrecked the rail car thing that the Blacksmith gives you, heading to Venice. I've gotten to an area where there is a small bandit camp to the right, and a dead end tunnel to the left. At the end of the bandit camp is a wooden spike wall I can't get through. At the end of the dead end is a little alcove where there was a jump scare QTE where you walk up to get some military ammo and a watchman jumps out and tackles you. I have no idea how I am supposed to get through here, as I can't find a way through the spike wall and I can't get through the area where the jump scare occured because a train is blocking the hole and it is taller than crouch height.

I'm sure I am missing something super obvious, but I feel like I've checked everywhere.

Check your journal. It'll tell you what you need to do.

To be more precise, switch the rail to the bandit base and ram the rail car through the spike wall.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
The only thing about ranger hardcore mode that I don't get is how are you supposed to know if you're using normal rounds or your military grade rounds? In the SMG at least I can see that there's a difference even though I still am not sure which is which, but on every other gun you don't really get the opportunity to look at the the mags.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

By the way: if you're not playing on ranger hardcore, do it. Its insanely immersive. No other game has ever made me feel "in it" as much as this. There's really nothing I can compare it too. If you're worried about it being too hard or something, don't be. This is my first time playing a game in this series and its going fine. Trust: when the developers say that ranger hardcore was the way the game was meant to be played, they REALLY mean it.

Well, "in it" if you're the kind of guy who never thinks to actually look at the number of magazines or filters he's carrying and who blindly gropes for grenades/knives until he grabs one that "sounds" right and...

I mean, yeah, I'll only ever play this in RH but in Metro 2033 on RH, the conceit was that when your journal was active, you could see how many rounds/filters you had. You could also press 'T' to bring up your stopwatch/heft your gun which allowed you to see the gun's magazine very clearly (to better determine how many rounds were left in your mag/if you had MGR/dirty rounds loaded). As it stands, the only reliable way to determine if you've got MGR loaded is to flick your lighter in a well lit area and very quickly glance at the tips of the bullets (red are MGR, grey are dirty).

ed: the above applies to the WP carbines/assault rifles; on the Bastard, you can tell by looking at the back of the bullets: MGRs are very shiny, almost gold, while dirty rounds are much filthier and appear more copper.

Leb fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 16, 2013

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Yeah I'm running into the "which rounds am I using" problem. It would be nice to somehow see the number of rounds you have, but so far I've kind of liked the tense moments when you're in a firefight and find you're empty. I just had one with Reich guys where I ran out right as I was running at a guy and had to swoop up a revolver off a corpse just in time. I'm sure I'll get annoyed with it at some point, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I so want a game that LOOKS like this but I also have no patience for linear shooters anymore. I want environments that are multi-use and multi-function that will involve you coming and going from them and really getting to know them, and not just a carefully disguised one-way corridor (with the occasional dead-end side path with a treasure at the end). This game is one of those, right?

On the other hand though, Resident Evil Revelations appears to be exactly what I want, but its technically far behind this one I bet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, I so want a game that LOOKS like this but I also have no patience for linear shooters anymore. I want environments that are multi-use and multi-function that will involve you coming and going from them and really getting to know them, and not just a carefully disguised one-way corridor (with the occasional dead-end side path with a treasure at the end). This game is one of those, right?

On the other hand though, Resident Evil Revelations appears to be exactly what I want, but its technically far behind this one I bet.

It is, on the 3DS at least you can aim and move slowly in first person too so it literally becomes King's Field with guns. :3:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

It is, on the 3DS at least you can aim and move slowly in first person too so it literally becomes King's Field with guns. :3:
You're just talking about RE right, not Metro? Don't toy with my emotions by saying things like "King's Field with guns" without being more specific.

edit: I bought Bioshock Infinite because people said it was not completely linear and there was a sense of exploration. Ridiculous lies.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 16, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Samurai Sanders posted:

You're just talking about RE right, not Metro? Don't toy with my emotions by saying things like "King's Field with guns" without being more specific.

3DS, RE. Yes.

Metro: Last Light is a linear, story-driven shooter advertised as such.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Did anybody else get a patch for the PC version on Steam? Steam downloaded about 9MB and I'm wondering if it was an update or just some small files.

Doctor Albatross fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 16, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I beat the game on Ranger Normal, and I never did figure out where you could buy filters. Not that it mattered, I ended the game with a few minutes shy of an hours worth. This isn't anything like my 2033 filter situation :psyduck:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I beat the game on Ranger Normal, and I never did figure out where you could buy filters.

I don't think that you can buy filters. Same difficulty and I couldn't either, at least.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

MadBimber posted:

I just felt embarrassed every time I saw it. It seems so out of place. Especially near the end (spoilers for ending) with the sex scene. I mean, really. First she hates you, then she disappears, reappears and thinks you're interesting. Then she's in love with you and wants to save the dark ones.

I took that as more of a "We're probably about to die from Ebola and you're here so let's do this" sort of sex, but it was pretty drat dumb regardless. Incidentally, I don't think I received the full extent of the scene - she dragged Artyom to the bed and then it cut to black and that was it. I certainly didn't get the jiggle physics and that scene that was doing rounds on Kotaku and other sites and I don't remember pressing anything so I didn't skip it. I wasn't disappointed - even glad, actually - but that was a bit odd. I was doing a "as non-lethal as possible" run at the time, so maybe the game decided that I was too much of a wimp and that I didn't deserve to see the goods.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 16, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

HellishWhiskers posted:

I took that as more of a "We're probably about to die from Ebola and you're here so let's do this" sort of sex, but it was pretty drat dumb regardless. Incidentally, I don't think I received the full extent of the scene - she dragged Artyom to the bed and then it cut to black. I certainly didn't get the jiggle physics and that scene that was doing rounds on Kotaku and other sites. I wasn't disappointed - even glad, actually - but that was a bid odd. I was doing a "as non-lethal as possible" run at the time, so maybe the game decided that I was too much of a wimp and that I didn't deserve to see the goods.

You know, I saw the jiggle physics during the (not a story spoiler)lap dance, and my only thought was "man, the Witcher devs should be taking notes here".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wouldn't write it off yet. It's very linear but the exploration is still really satisfying. There are pretty large areas that you can explore freely after the first couple of hours too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any special reason the nosalis right at the part where you wait for a boat to Venice go from dying in one shot to being nearly invulnerable? By the end it took six shotgun shells and some bullets from an AK to bring one down.

quote:

I don't think that you can buy filters. Same difficulty and I couldn't either, at least.

Can you buy different suits? Since everyone seems to recognize you as a Ranger based on yours I'm guessing no, but it doesn't hurt knowing for sure.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I wouldn't write it off yet. It's very linear but the exploration is still really satisfying. There are pretty large areas that you can explore freely after the first couple of hours too.

Its linear done right for once, IMO. Great storytelling, incredibly seamless scripted events, and stellar atmosphere. If somebody is wanting to play a sandbox, they're going to be disappointed. But the fact is, you could never really get this kind of all around quality in that kind of game anyway.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Swamp level fight question: how do I beat this loving thing in front of the church entrance? I am running out of ammo and it is still standing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sankis posted:

Check your journal. It'll tell you what you need to do.

To be more precise, switch the rail to the bandit base and ram the rail car through the spike wall.

I tried that, several times, even at full "sprint" speed. It just bounces off and stalls out. :saddowns: It was one of the first things I tried, given what you've had to do leading up to it.

• Locked thread