Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Siroc posted:

Why does Hangouts need to validate my phone number if they won't merge these in the future?
Right after I posted that, I checked around...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4318830/inside-hangouts-googles-big-fix-for-its-messaging-mess

Verge confirmed that Google Voice has been "pushed over to the Hangouts team" and they were told that Hangouts is the "future of Google Voice". They're probably not ready yet.

So, in the future (no one knows how far right now), Voice will cease to exist and merge into Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Is there a decent app to use my Nexus 7 (or Gnex) to take payments in a food truck? I still need to get a card reader as well, but I trying to see if it's even worth it.

Edit: I guess a better question is: is there a better alternative to Square

Double edit: gently caress, didn't refresh. \/\/\/

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 16, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I think Square is pretty much the go-to one for that right now.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there an easy way to fix the tags of songs you have uploaded to Play Music?

Also, how can I stop Play Music from splitting up albums with multiple artists?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

This is glorious news, thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

XIII posted:

Is there a decent app to use my Nexus 7 (or Gnex) to take payments in a food truck? I still need to get a card reader as well, but I trying to see if it's even worth it.

Edit: I guess a better question is: is there a better alternative to Square

Double edit: gently caress, didn't refresh. \/\/\/

The only two I've seen are Square and PayPal.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have to say I really don't get Hangouts - all it seems to do is replace Google Talk with a new version capable of group chat and a bunch of pretty major regressions. I don't see how this is at all different the the Messenger component of the G+ app which is still separate.

Maybe I'm just going crazy but is there no way to see who is online and available? GTalk used to tell you (and show an icon to indicate the other party was on a video capable device). Also not only is the online indicator gone from the People app (must have relied on Talk I guess) there also doesn't seem to be any way of starting a Hangout from there - confusingly the 'Start hangout' option under the G+ section starts a G+ Hangout which is an entirely different thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After going to the Play Store on a web browser and installing Hangouts that way, I now have the Hangouts name and icon in the Apps list in Settings, but the Talk icon with the Hangouts name in the app drawer (of Nova Prime). :wtf:, Google?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

After going to the Play Store on a web browser and installing Hangouts that way, I now have the Hangouts name and icon in the Apps list in Settings, but the Talk icon with the Hangouts name in the app drawer (of Nova Prime). :wtf:, Google?

After installing Hangouts I could actually still open Talk and use it. I had to manually uninstall it. It confused the poo poo out of me because I was getting notifications from both for a while. I have no idea how or why this happened. :psyduck:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the kawaiiest posted:

After installing Hangouts I could actually still open Talk and use it. I had to manually uninstall it. It confused the poo poo out of me because I was getting notifications from both for a while. I have no idea how or why this happened. :psyduck:

I saw your post in the other thread, but I don't have Talk in either location anymore, just the icon in the app drawer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ugghh what a mess - this definitely isn't solving anything, just causing further confusion

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

I saw your post in the other thread, but I don't have Talk in either location anymore, just the icon in the app drawer.

Well Hangouts replaces Talk, your icon set probably sees it as Talk and is assigning that icon to it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Swiftkey's on sale, half price from the looks of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I like circles, but I don't like how they're pushing them into Talk (Hangouts). I don't think I've chatted via IM with any of the thousands of people in my circles ever, but now I've got to manage them along side my real contacts. :(

Mega Comrade posted:

I'd really like to filter by circle at least. Hopefully if enough people moan about it through the suggestions feature then Google will add it.
I rolled back to Talk on both my device and on the MacBook. If any of these bugs gets resolved, especially the lack of a way to disable audio notifications in the browser, would someone please post here with the news? I don't want to miss it. Another thing in the browser that's positively infuriating is that I can no longer move a chat window to the lower corner of my desktop without it "docking" on the bottom and moving the window over to the left causing it to fall behind other windows. I use BetterSnapTool to define a pre-determined size for the chat windows so I can have two on the right side of my screen and now the windows refuse to resize and in the bottom it always docks even if I position the snap position to a significant portion above the bottom of the screen. It makes it an unusable mess.

dissss posted:

I have to say I really don't get Hangouts - all it seems to do is replace Google Talk with a new version capable of group chat and a bunch of pretty major regressions. I don't see how this is at all different the the Messenger component of the G+ app which is still separate.

Maybe I'm just going crazy but is there no way to see who is online and available? GTalk used to tell you (and show an icon to indicate the other party was on a video capable device). Also not only is the online indicator gone from the People app (must have relied on Talk I guess) there also doesn't seem to be any way of starting a Hangout from there - confusingly the 'Start hangout' option under the G+ section starts a G+ Hangout which is an entirely different thing.
No way to see who's online, no way to set statuses, and no way to see if they're mobile or video capable. It also breaks LightFlow for stock ROMs and I was getting dual notifications (one for Talk, one for Hangouts) in CM10.1 even though Talk was fully replaced for me unlike the kawaiiest who could uninstall Talk to remove the duplicate. Because of that I couldn't tell if the CM LED notifications still worked.

Also I've noticed a much larger and quite significant delay in delivering messages to devices since the switch.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah I'm not liking this thing either. I just spent like ten minutes trying to figure out how to change my status and how to see who's online, only to realize that neither is possible. How do you make a chat client that doesn't let people see which of their friends are online? :psyduck:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah I'm not liking this thing either. I just spent like ten minutes trying to figure out how to change my status and how to see who's online, only to realize that neither is possible. How do you make a chat client that doesn't let people see which of their friends are online? :psyduck:
And then separates them by conversations instead of by contact? Not that huge of a distinction since most will be one-on-one convos but still.

In its current incarnation, it's poo poo.

By the way for those complaining the old Messenger app is still there, I would expect it to remain until they update the Google+ app since that's where that lives.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Instead of having three different messaging apps on my phone that all do similar things but aren't connected, now I have the same app on three different devices that all interconnect but have different feature sets and work in different ways, plus one of the original apps.

On my phone the contact list is a billion people long because it includes every single G+ contact including people who are in Circles specifically tagged as people who I am "following". Yeah, I sure do want to send a Hangout request to Larry Page. Some of the people in the list don't own Android devices and I only have phone numbers for them, so I'm not really sure what exactly the app is going to do if I try to send them a message.

On my desktop the contact list shows about eight people and that's it, I can't work out what that list actually represents. It's not online people because one of them has data permanently disabled on their phone and another one of them is currently in another country without roaming.

On my tablet the app refuses to install because Google can't even set permissions for their own apps correctly.

Meanwhile G+ Messenger is still sitting on my device and is still somehow something different to whatever this is. I can message other people with that and it works, but if I go to the G+ website and send a message then that shows up in Hangouts.

This is a complete disaster, I think it's actually worse than before. Google nailed it again.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just can't get over how stupid this is. What were they thinking? I just don't understand.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Holy poo poo. That's terrible. I'm out of town and can't use my Q...and now it's truly a paperweight.

What the hell Google? I know it was a failure, but to kill it just like that? Wow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Holy poo poo. That's terrible. I'm out of town and can't use my Q...and now it's truly a paperweight.

What the hell Google? I know it was a failure, but to kill it just like that? Wow.
I'm sure it's far more of a licensing issue than Google not giving a poo poo about the Q but it's like 70/30 instead of 0/100.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Same thing happened to me. From the app drawer, drag it to Edit, click the icon, and slide the page to the right to get to the built in icons. The Talk icon is still listed as default, but scroll down into the list of app icons and you should see the new one. Select it and presto

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So is there really a point to switch to Google Music from Spotify? Other than price point? 7.99 a month on Google or 9.99 a month on Spotify, can Google Music do everything spotify can? Can you find the same music on both?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is there a unified "Check in" app which lets me check in at locations to the major social networks in one go?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Flaggy posted:

So is there really a point to switch to Google Music from Spotify? Other than price point? 7.99 a month on Google or 9.99 a month on Spotify, can Google Music do everything spotify can? Can you find the same music on both?

Google Music app supports landscape view. :smug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

the kawaiiest posted:

How do you make a chat client that doesn't let people see which of their friends are online? :psyduck:

In Google's mind, it probably doesn't matter because if they aren't online, the chat gets sent to their inbox (which is kind of annoying because once you're back online, you also get the messages in Hangouts).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Flaggy posted:

Does Spotify let you upload your own MP3s to their servers? Also so far Google Music's radio function has been way better at finding music I like than Spotify's

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Sendo posted:

Google Music app supports landscape view. :smug:

Thats awesome.

signalnoise posted:

Does Spotify let you upload your own MP3s to their servers? Also so far Google Music's radio function has been way better at finding music I like than Spotify's

No, it would be nice, but yeah that would be a plus of using Google Music.

So odd problem, when I try to upload more of my music it says I am over my 20,000 limit, but when I sign into Google music it says only 539 songs have been uploaded, anyone know what would be causing this?

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 16, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

Meanwhile G+ Messenger is still sitting on my device and is still somehow something different to whatever this is. I can message other people with that and it works, but if I go to the G+ website and send a message then that shows up in Hangouts.

G+ Messenger has always been useless and needs to die yesterday. The only thing it does is let you send messages to other G+ users on their phone. It doesn't send or receive messages from gchat, hangouts, or any web service. It is literally a redundant and pointless phone to phone messaging service.

I kind of get what google is trying to do, but I can't believe that they thought this was good enough to release. Without SMS and MMS functionality with and without google voice, all this is is a glorified reskin of Google Talk. And honestly, they should have made the new hangouts the default chat service on Gmail and google/ig (at least until they kill it later this year).

I like the way that it hands conversations on a conversation level instead of on a contact level. I like the UI of the phone app. I like the standard inclusion of EMOJI and I like the in line pictures.

I guess I get that they want you to use this more like text messaging instead of IM and that is why they don't readily show you user online/away status, but I think that is a mistake. I can't believe they didn't kill G+ messenger. And I can't understand why they didn't include SMS and MMS from the get go. Their focus really needed to be "Hangouts is the only IM type communication tool that you need from here out and we are rolling ALL of our services in to it."

Maybe next version...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm actually toughing it out on Hangouts for one reason and one reason only:

The ability to actually continue the conversation on literally any device I have the application on is VERY valuable to me.

I'd have to say that Talk REALLY pissed me off about that. I'd leave to go somewhere, continue the conversation on my phone from my computer and none of the messages I had received or sent would be there. Or it'd try to sit there and repopulate the entire conversation over a low 3G signal and dig into battery.

I'd love indicators to know if someone was offline/online, a way to change my status, and something to tell me if someone was mobile or not, but for me, this one feature alone is keeping me with Hangouts (that and the problems I had trying to get it to reinstall after uninstalling it...).

I did just notice something that showed up on three different IM windows, however:

Google Hangouts posted:

Keith is not currently on Hangouts. You can still send messages that they will see later

Send a message...

Cristopher is not currently on Hangouts. You can still send messages that they will see later

Send a message...

Kyle is not currently on Hangouts. You can still send messages that they will see later

Send a message...

I didn't see these messages yesterday and they're not there for every contact. Maybe Google can update the client without a user having to redownload something? Granted, this is on the Chrome extension so that's probably what happened anyway.

I did send a bunch of bug reports with the Android app though (including mentioning some things said here) so hopefully we'll get more fixes.

I don't know, maybe I'm just weird. I'm definitely frustrated by a lot of things though but I guess I'll stick with it. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but a Google engineer just posted on G+ that Messenger will get integrated into Hangouts once they're done adding a method to export data... Whatever that means.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
My favorite wrongly tagged Google Music band picture is for this band i like called Freakeys, who are a progressive metal / progressive rock band from Brazil formed by members of Angra and Hangar

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there an easy way to fix the tags of songs you have uploaded to Play Music?

Also, how can I stop Play Music from splitting up albums with multiple artists?

Use the Album Artist tag.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but a Google engineer just posted on G+ that Messenger will get integrated into Hangouts once they're done adding a method to export data... Whatever that means.

That shouldn't take long since there is not data to export because NO ONE used G+ Messenger. :smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is typical Google, but their app releases from yesterday are full of half-assery.

Search for a song in Music if you signed up for whatever their unlimited music thingy is called.

The song results each have the three vertical dots indicating a menu... except they just start playing the song just like pressing anywhere else on the song does. So, to queue a song, add a song to a play list, or whatever else you'd do to a single song you have to start it playing, and then use the menu on the now playing screen.

Except, after you do that for one song, no subsequent songs have a menu option to add to playlist.

This stuff was pushed out to meet the IO deadline.

You'd think that you can just wait for the inevitable updates, except Google isn't exactly renowned for updating all of its official apps...especially Music.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This is typical Google, but their app releases from yesterday are full of half-assery.

Search for a song in Music if you signed up for whatever their unlimited music thingy is called.

The song results each have the three vertical dots indicating a menu... except they just start playing the song just like pressing anywhere else on the song does. So, to queue a song, add a song to a play list, or whatever else you'd do to a single song you have to start it playing, and then use the menu on the now playing screen.

Except, after you do that for one song, no subsequent songs have a menu option to add to playlist.

This stuff was pushed out to meet the IO deadline.

You'd think that you can just wait for the inevitable updates, except Google isn't exactly renowned for updating all of its official apps...especially Music.

They actually confirmed that they wanted to push Maps to meet I/O but they decided to work on it a bit more.

The problem is, if they didn't have new shiny toys to give to the Android fanblogs or the fans, we'd get a LOT of complaining about "I/O sucked! Nothing new! I'm moving to Windows Phone!" (seriously, I read that comment somewhere pertaining to no new Nexus 4 LTE for Verizon). The fanblogs would claim "something's wrong" and then the rumor mill would spin even more out of control.

They're actually taking their time with Maps, at least. But they pushed the rest to appease the masses.

People are still claiming a Nexus 7/4 refresh is coming along with Key Lime Pie.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I could have sworn I got two updates to Google Play Books yesterday so yeah.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
According to this guy, SMS support is coming soon.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I use Android and Gmail but I am so glad I don't rely on all this dumb Google poo poo for my daily life. The closest thing is Tasks and even that Im pretty sure I could replace.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Field Trip just got enabled for a whole bunch of new countries.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.scout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Since we're all talking about music subscription services, I thought I'd mention that I much prefer Rdio over Spotify on Android. Rdio always remembers what song you were last listening to, while the Spotify app seems to forget. Rdio even remembers between the phone app and the web app. So you could start listening to an album on your morning commute, and then when you get to work go to the web app and continue listening.

• Locked thread