Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not to mention that the darkened face thing is a rather common anime trope to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I think it'd be/have been a neat easter egg if the game did allow you to approach the door and try a password-- if you've already played the game and know the password, it'd show you an alternate ending, if not, you get gunned to death. Kind of like getting out of Hope's Peak early with the prize from the machine in DR1.

Of course, if the password is alpha/numeric digits, I highly expect it to be a reference to something in the first Dangan Ronpa, games like doing that to get a smile out of me :unsmith:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
_D_E_S_B_E_A_R_

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Despite me really disliking Saionji with her treatment of Mikan, I really like how she surprisingly has Kuzuryuu's number. He seems visibly shaken and somewhat confused on how to react to her snarkiness and aggressive attitude.

Time for my big dumb theory, Kuzuryuu either A) has a sister that he's truly fighting for meaning the reason he's trying to win the "game" is to get back to her much similar to Hanamura trying to get back to his mom. I base this on Kuzuryuu's shying away from the Yakuza business or B) He had a sister who he deeply cared for and receives the common angsty rebellion anime boy trope of having his sister being badly damaged or something and refuses to talk about it because I dunno he's a loner. I base this off his treatment of Saionji, who practically looks like a little kid, his thoughts on the lack of reliance on the Yakuza and his reference in the diner. I really like how Kuzuryuu is turning out instead of being a bad-mouthed shithead he could just be teenager who doesn't know how to deal with certain things.

Apollo Justice
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, any comic relief I may provide is entirely unintentional.

Suzuki Method posted:

Of course, if the password is alpha/numeric digits, I highly expect it to be a reference to something in the first Dangan Ronpa, games like doing that to get a smile out of me :unsmith:

I would have to try 11037 just for shits and giggles.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Well poo poo, that's probably the password :v: Makes sense as a digit code anyway.

My first guess would have been the number of students they started out with followed by the number they ended up with at the end of the game.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
I'm getting this vibe that Hinata is going to wind up being the traitor in the end. Actually at the very beginning of the game Hinata says, "To tell you the truth, the circumstances in my case are slightly unusual. ...But that's a story for another time. Honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal. You'll find out for yourselves soon enough." Perhaps his unusual circumstances are he's becoming a mole for the world destroys or something along those lines.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Valkama posted:

I'm getting this vibe that Hinata is going to wind up being the traitor in the end. Actually at the very beginning of the game Hinata says, "To tell you the truth, the circumstances in my case are slightly unusual. ...But that's a story for another time. Honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal. You'll find out for yourselves soon enough." Perhaps his unusual circumstances are he's becoming a mole for the world destroys or something along those lines.

I'm almost certain he's the traitor. He doesn't remember much about himself, including his ability, and I really find it unlikely that they'd pull the same stunt twice in a row. I think it's more likely that he doesn't have an ability at all and is infiltrating (or was supposed to) the island on behalf of the World Destroyers/SHSL-Despair. It seems more interesting to me, anyway, if the World Destroyers are a group of non-special people who decided to destroy a world that holds up SHSL people so high above everyone else. Though they were probably motivated by Junko/SHSL-Despair anyway because that seems like something she'd/they'd do.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

orenronen posted:

T...There is no twaitor... No one here is a twaitor!

I want to believe that Monomi was technically telling the truth here and that the "traitor" was Togami.

Bonehilda
Apr 27, 2013

tiistai posted:

I want to believe that Monomi was technically telling the truth here and that the "traitor" was Togami.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know how well that would work, considering Togami was so desperate to protect them all when he was there, or maybe he was double-crossing World Destroyers and THAT'S why World Destroyers remotely arranged his death through Komaeda, the DOUBLE TRAITOR. (Which would also make sense since Komaeda isn't there either.)

Anyway, I wonder when Monomi's "no littering" rule is going to come into play. It has to, somehow.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Bonehilda posted:

Anyway, I wonder when Monomi's "no littering" rule is going to come into play. It has to, somehow.

It already has. It means no one can just dump evidence, which is why the skewer was stashed in the giant hunk o' meat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stroth posted:

It already has. It means no one can just dump evidence, which is why the skewer was stashed in the giant hunk o' meat.

Literally every murder would begin with "the evidence was dumped into the ocean" if the rule wasn't there. It would get old really quickly.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Bonehilda posted:

That's what I was thinking. I don't know how well that would work, considering Togami was so desperate to protect them all when he was there, or maybe he was double-crossing World Destroyers and THAT'S why World Destroyers remotely arranged his death through Komaeda, the DOUBLE TRAITOR. (Which would also make sense since Komaeda isn't there either.)

"Traitor" is only a name Monobear applied to the extra 16th person because he was trying to provoke the kids into killing; he didn't even seem to know the identity of the relevant person at the time. I don't think we rule anyone out just because they're not actually up to anything traitorous.

And we should pay close attention to what Monobear actually says: "Both the true identity of the traitor, and whoever brought you bastards to this island... It's all part of the World Destroyers plan." Not that either the traitor or the person who trapped them on the island is part of that group, just that it's "part of their plan" somehow. That's pretty ambiguous.

If Togami's the odd man out (and I'm sure he is), maybe it's something like this: the World Destroyers leaked the information about the island to him, so he inserted himself into the group to try to save these SHSLs. Then Monobear used his presence against him by branding the extra student "traitor", and then he got killed. Now the kids are paranoid about a "traitor" and don't even realize the odd man out is already dead.

Right now, I'm kind of wondering what Monomi meant when she said that Monobear was "like her", before he punched her. It sounded like she realized something important about him and nearly let something slip that he didn't want said.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 16, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
My idea is still that this is a rehabilitation program for Hope's Peak classmembers that were drawn into the Despair group, which I guess we can now refer to as the World Destroyers. The twist would be that EVERYONE is part of the world destroyers except the "traitor". Which is whoever's running Monomi. And I think it's already pretty clear who that is.

Asthanius
Dec 26, 2012

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
Did anybody else think about a time capsule when it mentioned that the door says "Future" on it? Like, it's meant to be opened at a later date because it's a bomb shelter used to wait out the end of the world/destruction and widespread Despair with a capital D.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The end of the first game pretty much spelled that one out. That the whole point of the school was to be a time capsule of sorts for top-class students to repopulate the world.

ZeroCaim
Jul 7, 2008

orenronen posted:

By the way, since I don't think I've ever made it clear and it's kind of a change from how DR1 was handled, the reason I'm not pointing out these references in a note is that I decided explaining jokes is a waste of time. Reference jokes are funny for people who get them, and do not magically get funny if you explain them in-line after they're made. In fact, it's just distracting.

And so, translation notes will be kept to elements of Japanese culture that the game mentions and are likely not to be known by some readers of the LP.

I actually really enjoyed when you pointed out those references. I thought they were very interesting and added a lot of flavor to the LP. I even started watching a few series and learned a few things along the way. I usually end up looking up things that look like a reference anyway, but it's a little bit harder to find them myself.

If you ever wanted to bring them back then I sure wouldn't mind.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

They should just punish Komaeda by making him test out the passwords to open the door. If his SHSL Good Luck actually works, he gets the door open! If not, he gets himself shot to death! He'd be totally willing to do it too.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Bifauxnen posted:

They should just punish Komaeda by making him test out the passwords to open the door. If his SHSL Good Luck actually works, he gets the door open! If not, he gets himself shot to death! He'd be totally willing to do it too.

...That's actually a really good idea. I'm kind of sad that I really doubt the game's going to do that now. Though I'd also expect Monobear to pop up, if it was suggested, and note that whoever tells Komaeda to do that would count as his killer for the purposes of a trial.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

...That's actually a really good idea. I'm kind of sad that I really doubt the game's going to do that now. Though I'd also expect Monobear to pop up, if it was suggested, and note that whoever tells Komaeda to do that would count as his killer for the purposes of a trial.

I doubt the other students are sadistic enough to test Komeada's luck like that.

... Okay, Kurzuyuu and Saionji probably would, but they'd be out-voted.

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me
Who else thinks that Komaeda is gonna be the traitor and that's why he acts like a deranged psychopath? Because it seems probable to me. Just saying.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Miulei posted:

Who else thinks that Komaeda is gonna be the traitor and that's why he acts like a deranged psychopath? Because it seems probable to me. Just saying.

I feel like if that was the case, the game would have just settled that by now, since if he's the traitor it's painfully obvious. So it's probably not him.

Like I know the game does this "oooooh you think that this can't be the twist but it IS the twist!" thing sometimes (or at least pretends to pull it...it does a lot of twisty things is what I'm saying) but if Komaeda was the traitor I don't think a single god drat person would be surprised, including the characters of the game.

Asthanius
Dec 26, 2012

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Color Printer posted:

I feel like if that was the case, the game would have just settled that by now, since if he's the traitor it's painfully obvious. So it's probably not him.

Like I know the game does this "oooooh you think that this can't be the twist but it IS the twist!" thing sometimes but if Komaeda was the traitor I don't think a single god drat person would be surprised, including the characters of the game.

Then again, this game is all about subverting what you expect from the first game, right? So what if it subverts what you expect to happen by not subverting this?

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
Well, Monobear already confirmed in the first game that there was more than one of him, so for all we know there are multiple Mutual Killings going on simultaneously inside schools, on islands, in giant shopping malls, in Antarctica, and so on, simultaneously. Also, maybe every group of students includes a Togami- a really, really skinny Togami, a really short Togami, and a really, really tall Togami. Never underestimate the size of the Togami conglomerate!

In more serious terms, we still don't know if the Togami that died is the same as the one from the first game, so we can't rule out the games happening simultaneously.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Asthanius posted:

Then again, this game is all about subverting what you expect from the first game, right? So what if it subverts what you expect to happen by not subverting this?

Yeah, but hyping up the traitor the whole time and then just saying it's the character that's been a prime suspect for almost the entire game crosses the border from "unexpectedly expected" to "lovely writing".

EDIT: Except the characters don't seem to be saying "Hmm maybe Komaeda is linked to the traitor" so who the gently caress knows I guess.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 16, 2013

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me

Asthanius posted:

That's what I was thinking too. But what if it was someone you really didn't expect. Like Souda? That would just be funny to me.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Torino posted:

Also, maybe every group of students includes a Togami

DR1 had its JUNKOS, clearly DR2 must now have TOGAMIS.

On topic of the traitor, I'm quite certain it isn't Komaeda. It just isn't his style! He doesn't want to betray anyone, he wants to give them SUCH HOPE!

Something I'm pretty curious about, though.... something just seems really "off" about Monomi. I think I trust Monomi less than I would trust Monobear. There's got to be something sinister under that cover of "I wuv all you students!"

At least with Monobear he'll TELL you before he's going to shoot you. Monomi is becoming increasingly unnerving to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Something's bothering me about the set up here, and not (just) a fear that some things about the setting will once more go unexplained.

The idea that the controller of one or both the Monosiblings is inside the vaulted door. I am for some reason bothered (in the creeped out sense) of the idea that anyone controlling Monobear or Monomi has been stuck in such a place for what seems like a very, very long time based on the disuse of the doors.

On the other hand, at least we can theorize that the DR2 cast did not come from inside this place because of the state of the door. So what's in there?

If the DR1 cast is stuck in there, simultaneously going through their own heap of troubles (and yes, putting aside how there can be two Togami's)...doesn't that mean at least someone's going to trip the machine guns at some point based on Hakagure's instance in DR1?

EDIT: My current crackpot theory is that the school is the one the DR1 cast was trapped in. The DR2 band of kids are connected to the World Destroyers (if they aren't in fact the World Destroyers) and were never found, or, for some reason, never rescued by Naegi and co as they hightailed it out of Dodge. Togami perhaps came back either after finding out the kids were still on the island, in order to rescue them or prevent something dastardly from happening. Didn't work out too well but at least this idea is more easily plausible than both games are simultaneously occurring.

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ZeroCaim posted:

I actually really enjoyed when you pointed out those references. I thought they were very interesting and added a lot of flavor to the LP. I even started watching a few series and learned a few things along the way. I usually end up looking up things that look like a reference anyway, but it's a little bit harder to find them myself.

If you ever wanted to bring them back then I sure wouldn't mind.
I'm with this guy. Explaining jokes doesn't make them funny, but it's always fun to learn things.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sindai posted:

I'm with this guy. Explaining jokes doesn't make them funny, but it's always fun to learn things.

I'm not opposed to explain them in the thread - I was pretty sure (correctly) that someone was going to point out Saint Seiya within minutes of the update going up, and I'm probably going to explain the more obscure references if no one else does. I just don't want to do it within the updates.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

TKMobile posted:

Something's bothering me about the set up here, and not (just) a fear that some things about the setting will once more go unexplained.

The idea that the controller of one or both the Monosiblings is inside the vaulted door. I am for some reason bothered (in the creeped out sense) of the idea that anyone controlling Monobear or Monomi has been stuck in such a place for what seems like a very, very long time based on the disuse of the doors.

On the other hand, at least we can theorize that the DR2 cast did not come from inside this place because of the state of the door. So what's in there?

If the DR1 cast is stuck in there, simultaneously going through their own heap of troubles (and yes, putting aside how there can be two Togami's)...doesn't that mean at least someone's going to trip the machine guns at some point based on Hakagure's instance in DR1?

EDIT: My current crackpot theory is that the school is the one the DR1 cast was trapped in. The DR2 band of kids are connected to the World Destroyers (if they aren't in fact the World Destroyers) and were never found, or, for some reason, never rescued by Naegi and co as they hightailed it out of Dodge. Togami perhaps came back either after finding out the kids were still on the island, in order to rescue them or prevent something dastardly from happening. Didn't work out too well but at least this idea is more easily plausible than both games are simultaneously occurring.

I'm sure at least that the controller of Monomi/Usami is not inside that Hope's Peak replica. I have no effing clue about the controller of Monobear other than that it's not Junko (acts differently enough to make it obvious someone else is controlling this Monobear), and for all we know it could be an AI.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I admit I find myself wondering why Monobear played his "World Destroyers" card so early in the game. Frankly, if his goal is to get his players murdering each other in the hopes of escaping to the outside world, revealing there is no outside world left to escape to seems... counterproductive. Staying on the island actually sounds nice, like a refuge.

Excepting the fact that the object in the middle of the islands is probably some kind of Monobomb, what motivation to they have to murder each other unless he's lying? And if he's lying about the end of the world, how can they trust he'll let them go?

I feel like the "World Destroyers" thing was deliberately placed before us now to contrast the late reveal of "Monoworld" in the previous game and maybe screw with us, but it seems like he just made his work harder for him.

====

That aside, the thing about the "World Destroyers" is that it feels like it's just short of actually being a cool name. The "World Eaters" or the "Earth Annihilation Project" would be much cooler.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
The game is clearly making a point of taking all of DR1's endgame revelations and revealing them early on instead.

After all, everyone who's played DR1 already knows that memory shenanigans and "the end of the world" are going to play a role somehow; they've lost their "twist" powers, so it makes sense to get them out in the open now.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Drakli posted:

I admit I find myself wondering why Monobear played his "World Destroyers" card so early in the game. Frankly, if his goal is to get his players murdering each other in the hopes of escaping to the outside world, revealing there is no outside world left to escape to seems... counterproductive. Staying on the island actually sounds nice, like a refuge.

Excepting the fact that the object in the middle of the islands is probably some kind of Monobomb, what motivation to they have to murder each other unless he's lying? And if he's lying about the end of the world, how can they trust he'll let them go?

I feel like the "World Destroyers" thing was deliberately placed before us now to contrast the late reveal of "Monoworld" in the previous game and maybe screw with us, but it seems like he just made his work harder for him.

====

That aside, the thing about the "World Destroyers" is that it feels like it's just short of actually being a cool name. The "World Eaters" or the "Earth Annihilation Project" would be much cooler.

He hasn't done his usual motivation-speech thing yet. That should be coming soon? I'm kind of wondering where he's going to go with that, especially given the reasons you just said. The motivations in the first game were general murder-mystery motivations, the single one that we've had in this one was a lot more specific to the Dangan Ronpa setting. Maybe it'll have something to do with Monoworld now that it's been re-revealed? Like, "Hey, I've confirmed some of your loved ones are still alive out there! Kill someone and I'll save them!"

Alien Arcana posted:

The game is clearly making a point of taking all of DR1's endgame revelations and revealing them early on instead.

After all, everyone who's played DR1 already knows that memory shenanigans and "the end of the world" are going to play a role somehow; they've lost their "twist" powers, so it makes sense to get them out in the open now.

It is rather nice that they're putting a bit of a twist on each obvious revelation. The 16 student class turning out to actually be a 15 student class rather than vice-versa, the "good" mascot doing the mind-wiping rather than the evil one, the world was destroyed but by a previously unheard-of group with an uncertain relationship to what's gone before, etc. What old revelations do they still potentially have up their sleeves? The broadcast? SHSL Despair?

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
By the way, someone on Tumblr ended up drawing that Gundam with a cigar fanart. Even though I'm pretty sure it's fine, I'll still wait for oren's approval before I share it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

EdgeryWorthy posted:

By the way, someone on Tumblr ended up drawing that Gundam with a cigar fanart. Even though I'm pretty sure it's fine, I'll still wait for oren's approval before I share it.

There were some cases of people who didn't want their Tumblr work reposted on SA (as is their right), so get the artist's permission first. Otherwise, it's fine.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

orenronen posted:

There were some cases of people who didn't want their Tumblr work reposted on SA (as is their right), so get the artist's permission first. Otherwise, it's fine.

Her page says it's fine to link her art as long as it's credited and linked back to her page, so here it is:

by: jununy

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Could be completely off, here, but taking a wild guess about something.

Saionji (dancer girl) keeps insulting Kuzuryuu (gangster), but unlike everyone else he never threatens her, or vice-versa. He just says "shut up".

Yeah, yeah, youre a genius.
But, so what? Or are you saying that what's impossible for the average person is easy with your Yakuza superpowers? Impressive!

S...Shut up... We can at least try guessing... Who knows, we might hit the jackpot.

They both have the detached, psychopathic personalities. They both have similar faces and builds (anime, I know), they're both blond, they both have the blushing cheeks.

Plus, there's this:

...It's not like the family will go to ruin without me there, anyway. My little sister will be more than happy to take my place.

Seems plausible that they're brother and sister.

The banter above where she calls him a "genius" sounds kind of sibling-like, and Yakuza are known for owning geisha/dancer establishments. I know he just said his sister would be happy to take over without him, but why even mention his sister if she's not relevant to the story?

Also, I know people were calling it early on that Kuzuryuu is a girl, but I don't think so. I think every reference to the first game is a red herring, like the serial killer conversation with Sonia. Besides, just look at those hands. Those are not girl hands. Even if Kuzuryuu is a girl, they could be sisters.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 16, 2013

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I am thinking that Hajime had a Total Recall style mindwipe, and hes actually a SHSL World Destroyer. Monobear's talk about the World Destroyer being a hero makes a little more sense this way, the main character of the game is usually considered the Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Addict posted:

I am thinking that Hajime had a Total Recall style mindwipe, and hes actually a SHSL World Destroyer. Monobear's talk about the World Destroyer being a hero makes a little more sense this way, the main character of the game is usually considered the Hero.
...or Mobobear's just plain evil and would consider a member of the group who destroyed the world a hero.

• Locked thread