Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not going to comment on the general philosophy of this (and Halo I see you're using past tense here) but if you're gonna be a stickler for limits, be aware many bike speedos are off by 5-10% high, and constantly driving under the speed limit in traffic is a surefire way to generate road rage.

Cars are like this, too. With my car's speedo at 90kph, I'm actually doing 85kph according to GPS and those roadside signs that flash your speed as you go by them.

The speedo on my Bandit is much more precise, according to those same signs.

People who can't abide other people driving at the speed limit according to their speedometer are jerkbags and ought to be shot on sight. Odds are they're maaaaybe 1kph slower than the speed limit on the road rager's speedometer and seriously, getting angry at that is petty as all hell. The real issue is that a lot of people consider it their GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to speed at least 10-20kph everywhere.

I usually go 90kph on my speedo in 80kph zones and so on, but it's not like I start raging if I have to drive behind someone going exactly 80kph according to their speedo.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I feel like I'm watching one of those Russian crash compilations about to happen.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

KozmoNaut posted:

People who can't abide other people driving at the speed limit according to their speedometer are jerkbags and ought to be shot on sight.

IIRC they are +/- 5% not just -. Though manufacturers these days tend to force the low side because when they're actually reading faster than you are going it artificially increases the odometer, and there have been some class action suits around that.

In traffic it is stupid to even look at the speedometer IMO. Pay attention to the road, the cars, and their drivers. Be looking for outs if somebody swerves into your lane unexpectedly. Speed up, slow down, change lanes, or so whatever to position yourself so you have said out. Momentarily doing 10-15 over the limit is far safer than coasting in someone's blindspot for 2 minutes as you graaaadually pass them.

She still doesn't fully agree with this. Though she is much better about it these days.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halo_4am posted:

IIRC they are +/- 5% not just -. Though manufacturers these days tend to force the low side because when they're actually reading faster than you are going it artificially increases the odometer, and there have been some class action suits around that.

Legally, a speedometer must never show a slower speed than the car is actually going. If it shows 80 and you're actually going 85, that's a HUGE liability issue, with people actually breaking the law despite trusting the speedometer. Much better to have it a tiny bit too high.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Now you made me go and look it up. In the US at least, it is +/- and it's stated as within 5mph not a %.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=98051e4f0cadab4b52ee158a355ccbf6&rgn=div8&view=text&node=49:5.1.1.2.36.7.12.8&idno=49

quote:

Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).

I must confess I was talking from gut and anecdote regarding they tend to favor lower to higher. Honda, and I think GM have been class action-ed over speedometer inaccuracies causing higher than actual odometer inaccuracies. So if they're not already then they should be.

:edit:
Then again if enough of them read lower you'll get a class action over MPG fraud or the mentioned safety concerns. I am so glad I spend my life in the information world... the legal system in this country really makes it hard to be a manufacturer here.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 3, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And don't forget that if the car is running non standard wheels or tires, or has under-inflated tires, or even if it's a really hot day, the speedometer reading will be even more incorrect.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Legally, a speedometer must never show a slower speed than the car is actually going. If it shows 80 and you're actually going 85, that's a HUGE liability issue, with people actually breaking the law despite trusting the speedometer. Much better to have it a tiny bit too high.

My TDI is around 3mph slow at 80mph. The analog speedo is more accurate but the digital always reads slow.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is why I think adaptive cruise control should be mandatory in cars. It's much more relaxing to just set your speed and then forget about it than having Lead Foot Syndrome and discover that you're 30 over, because when you have to slow down it feels like you're suddenly going at crawl pace even if you're still doing 100.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Just going to leave this gem here taken during my ride home from work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt7B2AkeWEw

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

schreibs posted:

Saw that coming, don't get into a space like that without a pre-planned out. If she'd have come over faster you'd be a greasy spot man. Glad she saw you, that barrier coming up could have been an issue.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Saw that coming, don't get into a space like that without a pre-planned out. If she'd have come over faster you'd be a greasy spot man. Glad she saw you, that barrier coming up could have been an issue.

Well I never trust vans or anything especially ones with chicks yapping on their cell phones but I added a few seconds before the ole dart over to show the van had plenty of space to merge gracefully cut off the car in front of me but chose instead, almost like it was magnetic, to attempt to ruin my day.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ponies is right. Always expect cars to pull in front of you like that. There's nothing wrong with leaving extra gaps between cars, and getting into the habit of leaving enough room for cars to merge in front of you is actually something that may save your life one day. (It saved my rear end multiple times so far)

Glad you're okay!

Also, get a very loud horn and swap it from the left side of your bike to the right.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I feel like you were in that sweet spot between cautious and aggressive (Which is where most car drivers are because they don't really have to worry about being merged into like that) where you're most likely to not be noticed and yet are in a position where there's little room to react to that situation.

I saw two spots where I would have passed the slow-rear end in front of you and passed that minivan before she would have thought of getting over. I also tend to hug the outside when passing cars, and hold the center line when everybody's static around me (and I'm not in anybody's blind spot). That's so when a hole opens up for me to pass I can take it in either lane, because we're so much faster getting into the other lane than cars are. I couldn't tell because your camera had an odd cant to it but you seemed to be in the center of the lane.

Otherwise I would have hung back until that car ahead of you was fully past that minivan then quickly passed her because when cars pass other cars the driver of the passed car goes "oh gently caress! I need to be passing too!" and goes full retard without checking blind spots, and that poo poo happens.

Reminds me though, the other day I was coming up to an intersection where a single lane road becomes two with an extra left hand turning lane at a light not far from where the road becomes two lanes. Not far past the light, the road becomes one lane again. I watched the first two of the three cars in front of me choose the left, then start moving into the turning lane. The minivan directly in front of me chooses the right hand lane. I choose the very leftest side of the left lane and gas it, getting just to the side of the front of the minivan just as the driver has a change of heart and veers into the left lane again. I don't know if he wanted to turn left after all, was worried that the right lane was a right turn only, or decided he needed to be in the passing lane if the two cars in front of him weren't going to be in it after all but he got halfway into my lane before he heard my horn and stopped. I got far ahead of him after that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

:psyboom:
How is this guy not dead yet? Jeeeeesus.

Unless he's got some serious Parkinson's going on that footage has been sped right up.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless he's got some serious Parkinson's going on that footage has been sped right up.

I don't think so, I think he just has his camera mounted in a weird way.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

schreibs posted:

Why are you riding in the middle of the lane?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I don't think so, I think he just has his camera mounted in a weird way.

The bit from about 2:30 onwards where he's just filtering between two lanes is really seriously sped up - compare how quickly his head moves to the earlier part where he's carving between the merging traffic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He let youtube stabilize his video, that's where the weird effect is coming from.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

He let youtube stabilize his video, that's where the weird effect is coming from.

No, it's coming from where he's speeding the video up. Compare it to the bit at 6:40 where he's actually doing a fair speed. Once you exclude that bit at 2 minutes where it looks like he's doing the motherfucking trench run the whole video is simply just spirited filtering - faster than I'd feel comfortable with but nothing you wouldn't see on any main road in Europe.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My bad I didn't realize you were talking about kle621, thought you were talking about screibs video.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

Also, get a very loud horn and swap it from the left side of your bike to the right.
Loud horn helps sometimes and is better than the OEM joke they put on bikes but don't count on it.

Was on the interstate left side of the far left lane (4 lane), guy in next lane over decided he wanted to be in the left lane. He starts merging while I'm lined up next to him. I tap the air horn, nothing...hold it down and he just looks over at me and keeps slowly coming over.

I made the mistake of not leaving myself a huge escape path since the guy behind me came flying up and there was a car in front of me. I opted to hop on the wide, clean shoulder and put some distance between us. Some people are just assholes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xovaan posted:

Ponies is right. Always expect cars to pull in front of you like that. There's nothing wrong with leaving extra gaps between cars, and getting into the habit of leaving enough room for cars to merge in front of you is actually something that may save your life one day. (It saved my rear end multiple times so far)

Leaving safe following distance is essential, even more so if you're on a bike. Generally, a car can out-brake just about any bike, especially a bike without ABS.

It helps other people merge safely and it leaves you more room for braking and evasive maneuvers.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

Leaving safe following distance is essential, even more so if you're on a bike. Generally, a car can out-brake just about any bike, especially a bike without ABS.

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS. My KTM can and has out-braked cars with ABS in emergency braking - thanks, van guy who stopped on the exit of a blind corner in the rain.

In "You didn't crash but it probably looked loving awesome" news, I got a bit overzealous with the new tyres and warm weather, turned the KTM hard on the throttle at an intersection which it turned out had freshly painted markings. Turned out they weren't *all* the way cured and I left a nice smudge as the rear spun up and I rounded the corner like I was racing speedway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS.

The difference being any idiot can stomp the pedal in a car and stop quickly and safely, a bike takes a bit more finesse especially if you don't have ABS. Add in to that reaction time, road conditions, being mid-corner or anything else and it gets ugly.

Following distance is your friend.

Not disagreeing with you though realbiglizard...bike brakes are awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I don't think that's true for the majority of modern bikes, with or without ABS. My KTM can and has out-braked cars with ABS in emergency braking - thanks, van guy who stopped on the exit of a blind corner in the rain.

In "You didn't crash but it probably looked loving awesome" news, I got a bit overzealous with the new tyres and warm weather, turned the KTM hard on the throttle at an intersection which it turned out had freshly painted markings. Turned out they weren't *all* the way cured and I left a nice smudge as the rear spun up and I rounded the corner like I was racing speedway.

It's completely true. At best it's a break even proposition, in lovely conditions, you're rolling the dice that you don't wash the front out. Also, there's no way of knowing what the gently caress the driver is doing, they might trigger ABS, freak out, and let off the brake. Or their ABS might be hosed. In a side by side, you're going to lose to the car every time, they've got probably 10x the traction patch of you, they don't have to modulate or deal with stoppies or locking the front and crashing, just mash the pedal to the floor and forget about it.

Watch a demo on good pavement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZKRphfVHqI
5 minutes. Lambo outbrakes an international level rider by a solid 30 feet from 100mph and you can see that from the incar view from the very beginning.

The only reason bikers think that they can outbrake cars is because most car drivers are idiots. If the duc had been behind the lambo he would have been through the rear window of the car. Gallardo stops in 108 feet. Your typical econobox stops in around 125 feet.

Here you can find stopping distances of police bikes, so good riders:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Motorcycles-MSP_VehicleEval08_Web_221477_7.pdf

The RT1200P does 145 feet. Judging by the difference between the Lambo and 1098, the 1098 doesn't cut it in under 125 feet, probably closer to the same as the RT1200P.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

A 2006 SAAB 9-5 has a braking distance of 37,6 metres 100-0 kmh. A 2013 Kia Ceed 37,9.

2006 ZX10R; 38,8.
2013 Street Triple (with ABS); 43,13.
2012 FZ-1S (with ABS); 40,57.
2012 1400 GTR (ABS & CBS); 46,85.

All values are pure braking distance, no reaction distance involved, and done in good dry conditions. All bikes ridden by Matti Tepsa (a moderately famous swedish stunt rider who among other things came in fifth in the "Streetbike Freestyle World championship" a couple of years back and does motorcycle stunts for movies and poo poo).

efb; at least I had some common cars in my list. :colbert:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 8, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's a silly discussion but those stopping distances are for new-ish vehicles on new-ish tires. Anecdotal evidence makes me think American car drivers let their vehicles, and especially their tires, go to poo poo in ways at least most sportbikers never would. Lord knows I've seen enough cars go into 4-wheel slides in speeds and road conditions they really had no excuse for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
American driver training is less intense then qualifying to stock shelves at Walmart.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

American driver training is less intense then qualifying to stock shelves at Walmart.

My German friend was half-amused half-horrified to hear what goes on for getting your driver's license here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My German friend was half-amused half-horrified to hear what goes on for getting your driver's license here.

Tell him that Death Race was a documentary :v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

EightBit posted:

Tell him that Death Race was a documentary :v:

You're laughing now, but you have to live in that transportation quagmire. :smuggo:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

It's completely true.

Huh, fair enough. I think my perspective must be skewed by how well my KTM stops and the state most cars are in where I live. When I outbraked that Volvo in the wet I could see/hear his ABS working. However, I run a race wet on the front of the KTM, keep the brakes fresh and bled. He probably had some aged whatever-was-cheapest tyres and the brake fluid the car came with 9 years ago.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KARMA! posted:

You're laughing now, but you have to live in that transportation quagmire. :smuggo:

I telecommute >99% now. Someone will find a way to wreck into me as I connect to the VPN.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Turning into an alley a little quick and found myself staring right into the grill of a huge SUV. Worst timing ever. I'm not sure what happened, but I remember revving high, feeling something break loose and catch, and the bike doing a quick little wobble like it wanted to high-side me but didn't have the oomph for it. I came to a stop completely upright. I honestly don't know which brake I used or both, and how much I must have slammed on them. Too much input on me and the bike I'm sure.

The funny part was there was a pedestrian just about to cross, and he looked like he'd just poo poo himself. I yelled back at him "Did you see that poo poo!?" just happy to have come out in one piece, and he gave me a wide eyed stare and a stammered "y-yeah." I'm sure he thought I was the craziest, possibly stupidest man alive.

Lesson learned. Those alleys deserve the slowest, lamest turn in possible.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What happened to the suv?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
On my way to work tonight I was riding down one of the many hills in my town. Ahead of me a good 400-500 feet are two stupid kids riding around in the dark wearing black clothes on skateboards in the middle of a public roadway.

I moved over to the left hand side of the lane and lo and behold one of them slips and his board slides right into my path of travel. I didn't see it until it was about 10 feet away and since he was to my immediate right trying to grab his board I had to just swerve to the left into the oncoming lane to avoid possibly losing control from hitting a stupid skateboard.

These kids do this regularly around the same time of night, I think I'm gonna report it to the police so they can keep an eye out for them before someone really gets hurt.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I had some idiot kids at the skate park jump out and try to touch me as I went past a while ago, little dumbshits.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Shimrod posted:

I had some idiot kids at the skate park jump out and try to touch me as I went past a while ago, little dumbshits.

I think that would have hurt them more than you. Let them do it next time, should teach them not to do it anymore :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There are a lot of downhill skateboarders where I do canyon runs... poo poo is cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

There are a lot of downhill skateboarders where I do canyon runs... poo poo is cool as gently caress.

I once followed some of those guys, was nuts.

• Locked thread