Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Regarding the bit where Luke was wondering who'd mentioned puzzles, Alec had said Rita and Barry were both into puzzles. So I do kind of wonder if they came up with some plan between themselves that the murderer took advantage of.

Steve Grange seems too suspicious to me at this point, but we'll see how things develop. Right now my main suspect is actually Luke and that he killed both of them because he was in love with Rita. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Five readers is more than we usually get by the end. :shobon:

Merrivale is hilarious, goddamn. Mr Grange is obviously hiding something but he's being telegraphed a bit too obviously as the murderer.[

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 28, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grawl posted:

O come on!

We only have five readers?

I didn't see you discussing my book :colbert:

I will probably pick up the book over the weekend and try to catch up!

Btw, what is with all the Lukes in these mysteries? Isn't this the third one?

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
-I think that their either planned to kill themselves or they wanted to stage a suicide, but somebody killed them before they could do it. The fact that she insisted on listening to Romeo and Juliet makes me think so...Or this is just an obvious red herring :psyduck:
- And also, I don't think it was somebody's else idea to make it look like a suicide if it's obvious that they were shot. Well...unless it was somebody who didn't know that they'd be able to tell that,
- The trick with the footprints is probably one of the key points of the solution, whatever it is,
- No matter what happened it is obvious that Rita was "under very strong emotion" that evening, so I don't think it's too much of a clue
- I think it's too early to say it's a crime of passion (it's most likely at the moment though)
- "Where" is kinda odd question to ask right after being told "they were murdered"

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
edit: nvm.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Caught up! This is a fine puzzle, isn't it?

That was a hell of an entrance, Merrivale.

So, the key facts of the conundrum of the murder itself:
1. Footprints corresponding to Barry and Rita's shoes, being worn by people corresponding to Barry and Rita's heights, led to the edge of the cliff. These could not be faked, and there was no set of prints leading away, nor were there any other prints.
2. The bodies of Barry and Rita were found washed ashore several days later, and had been shot at point blank range. The shooter was neither Barry nor Rita.
3. Barry and Rita were both alive at 9 PM.
4. The gun used to fire the bullets that killed Barry and Rita was found by the side of the road, half a mile away.

It's far too soon to figure out how our mysterious flying murderer managed this feat, but here's one thing I think is key: We didn't find the bodies at the time or place of the crime. I think we'll find that the two somehow escaped from the cliffside, and were killed elsewhere. The water damage to the bodies prevented any decisive analysis of time of death.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 30, 2013

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Grawl posted:

O come on!

We only have five readers?

Actually that's about the headcount we had so far, though we seem to be more this time.

I was going to skip this round but then Sherrington happened (:argh:) and now my book only arrived today. I'll chime in soon.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Going to leave the next batch of chapters here in case people want to use the weekend to read. Was going to post it earlier today but I had a minor car issue for most of the afternoon.

Anyway, this time the batch is the same amount as the other ones. It's going to be chapters nine to twelve. I'm so, so sorry but the pacing kind of requires that (This will make sense once you finish chapter 12. I'm so, so sorry).

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Alright, not very eventful chapters (Except them finding the lady). Can't say it switched anything to regards whodunnit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally caught up! I was in a bit of a rush to get caught up so I might have missed some things, hopefully some discussion can straighten some stuff out in my head. Mostly agree with a lot of the current speculation, with a few added thoughts:

1. I agree with the speculation that Rita and Barry were staging the suicide, trying to make it look like they jumped from the cliff and then running off somewhere. One added thought I had was, they keep referencing Barry's youth while the war flares up in the background. Perhaps Barry was trying to fake a suicide to escape from conscription? It is not talked about amongst the other characters, but most of them are too old, or women, and even Tom is a doctor and might be exempt. Don't know if this adds anything to the murderer's potential motive but it is something that occurred to me.

2. So if they were staging a suicide and not found washed up until several days later, couldn't they have been murdered after they ran off, and then subsequently thrown off of the cliff at a different spot? If the lovers had already planned to cover their tracks somehow then they basically did the murder's work for him/her, why should the murderer bother doing some zany acrobatics at the edge of a cliff instead of just ambushing them later? The post mortem also seemed to indicate there wasn't much damage from the fall, which the examining doctor chalked up to their bodies being limp when they hit.

3. I also think Steve Grange is too obvious a suspect at this point, but he could be covering up for Molly if she is the murderer by sending her away and coming up with his gun theory to cover her tracks. Not sure why else he would be pushing so hard for the "suicide" angle.

4. So someone got rid of Barry's car and coincidentally almost killed his "wife" Belle. Paul Ferrars also knows Belle and called her by a different name before shuffling away suspiciously. Not sure how she fits into everything quite yet.

5. The whole scene with Johnson was interesting, and one thing that occurred to me was that his drunken fever dream about Emperor Nero smoking a cigar reminded me of Paul Ferrars painting HM as a Roman senator. Obviously the cigar is a modern element in an otherwise classical setting, perhaps Ferrars has made paintings like this of other people? His letter to HM did make mention of him having a funny face that he wanted to record for posterity, and Johnson described the cigar smoking Nero's face as exceptionally ugly, maybe Ferrars finds uniquely faced men to painy in Roman garb? And Johnson came across one of these paintings? I don't know how this fits into anything but it is a strange bit of recurring imagery.

That is all I have to add to the already excellent discussion. There are some obvious seeming clues but then there is some bizarre stuff like Johnson's ramblings and the new character which make everything more chaotic. This is a fun read so far!

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Fraid I won't be joining you guys for this one - my e-reader screen got distorted somehow. Hopefully it'll be fixed in time for the next one. Or, if people are in the mood for another Agatha Christie, I could take the lead on the next one.

In the meantime, I'm reading Finding Nouf (uk title The Night of the Miraj) and assessing whether it would make a good book for this kind of thing. Only one chapter in so I don't know yet.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Could you read on a computer with Calibre or an app of some sort? :(

I basically agree with all of what Guy said.

Are we to assume that the one who tried to kill Belle was a man? If so, the field is limited somewhat but if she was just mistaken, I do still suspect Molly.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Things have been super hectic over here, and will continue to be for another two weeks at least. Will do my best to keep up, but I'm still far from done with this section.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
No photos of Barry in his living space and the few existing examples are conveniently destroyed. Are we dealing with fake identities again? :psyduck:

Everything's a little confusing still. I can't come up with anything solid but I'm suspecting Ferrars. Maybe he's somehow related to the suicidal artist that was made such a big deal of previously.

Guy's #5 is a great spot.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I immediately thought of the fake identities idea as well.

Main thing that stood out to me that no one else has mentioned: Johnson said something was stolen from him, and that it was four feet long. I haven't the least idea what it could be but feel like it might be important somehow. If Rita and Barry did have some complicated plan, they might have needed some...tools, or something?

Also, regarding Guy's #5, if you make the HM-Nero connection it seems like maybe Johnson is hiding something and is worried that HM knows.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Autumncomet posted:

Could you read on a computer with Calibre or an app of some sort? :(

I basically agree with all of what Guy said.

Are we to assume that the one who tried to kill Belle was a man? If so, the field is limited somewhat but if she was just mistaken, I do still suspect Molly.

Thanks!

I don't think it has to be a man. Belle didn't balk at the idea that it might have been "the floozie" when she thought they were suggesting it. If she had said something like "oh no, it definitely sounded like a man" it would be different, but right now the only requirement would be someone who knew how to drive a car.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Loving the discussion so far. I might be a day or two late in posting the next assignment because I'm out of the country in the moment and you know how chaotic schedules get, but I'll do my best to be on time. We are nearing the end of the book(there are only two chapter batches before the point of no return, I believe) so I think it's worth to slow down the pace a bit so that everyone can catch up and discuss it a bit more.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Alright, let's get on with the next batch of chapters. Don't worry if you aren't caught up yet, we aren't on the summation yet(but we will be next batch, so start getting ready).

Chapters are going to be 13 to 15.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Interesting chapters:

So I was right about them being murdered elsewhere...or at least Henry agrees with me on that point. They also immediately commented on the similarity between Henry's garb and Johnson's odd dream, although I still don't know if that will come to anything. I still say he might have seen the painting, or a similar one, somewhere else.

Craft is getting on my nerves, too. So he needs solid evidence before he will admit it is a murder but he doesn't need evidence before he accuses Dr. Croxley of every little thing he can't account for? What a jerk, I almost want him to be involved to see the smirk wiped off his face when the mystery is solved. I will probably just have to settle for my man Henry showing him up later.

As far as clues, the big things are Henry's revelations as well as the diamond turn around. Assuming there is still a chance that they intended to run off they would need an alternate source of money, do we have any idea of what this could be?

I would also say, as long as we are doubting stories, Belle might be lying about the entire car fiasco and may have simple drove it into the quicksand herself. And if she is a suspect her relationship with Ferrars becomes more questionable, especially if my painting theory pans out. Alternately, maybe his reaction to seeing her wasn't so much "why are you here?" and more of the "I thought I had killed you" variety. I have no other reason to suspect Ferrars besides his relationship with/reaction to Belle and the weird painting coincidence, but there might be something there since I am not seeing any other suspects emerging.

Not sure, will definitely have to read more (or engage in more discussion!) in order to come up with anything else solid. I still think we are on the right track since we came up with a lot of the same theories Henry did ahead of him, and he seems to be the one with the most sense.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

loving Craft. :argh:

Is it possible the murderer returned the diamonds? I mean, if we're going all the way with the runaway-suicide-murder theory nothing's impossible.

And to be clear, assuming a reliable narrator, there's no way Mr Wainwright could have killed them? He couldn't have killed them that night but where was he the next day?

At the moment I am inclined to believe Belle is lying or at least leaving out bits of the story. It would be easy enough to check her story on how she got here so I doubt she was the killer.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Just finished chapter 12, and will properly join the discussion again once I get through 15, but I want to get this down before I forget it:

Theory: Barry and Rita were NOT having an affair.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Here's what I got from that:

-Rita must have found a clergyman/solicitor/physician/J.P. for that passport. Did Stephen Grange end up doing it even after they'd quarreled? Could she have gotten what she needed from Tom? Neither seems very likely to me, but I'm still wondering if one of them got involved.

-At one point HM started talking about "back in the studio" in regards to Belle, which got me thinking: when they find Belle, she knows she's at the studio. How? Did anyone actually tell her where she was? I read back through it and it doesn't seem like it, although we don't know what Craft told her when Dr Croxley went down to HM.

-HM mentions the footprints looked like Rita and Barry kept step with each other, which might indicate that they were carrying something? When I was reading back through stuff I found an early reference to the path being four feet wide, which coincides with Johnson's stolen mystery object being four feet long. This may or may not be relevant.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Just finished chapter 12, and will properly join the discussion again once I get through 15, but I want to get this down before I forget it:

Theory: Barry and Rita were NOT having an affair.

That's certainly an interesting idea. Why do you think that?

* Somebody noted that neither Rita nor Bary were particulary bright. I wonder if somebody helped them think of this plan. On the other hand, Barry is supposed to be good with puzzles, so he probably invented the footsteps trick.
* There is no way the thing Willie claims was stolen from him is not important. Especially since he never said what it was. It was either stolen by the murderer or by Barry/Rita. Now, what could that be? :psyduck: Surely not the diamonds..
* Since the diamonds are still where they ought to be, my bet is that it was a crime of jealousy/passion/whatever you call that. Doesn't really help since all the men were in love with Rita and both Molly and Belle were in love with Barry :v:
* Wait, there is one guy not in love with Rita - Tom apparently dislikes her. Can't decide if it makes him more or less suspicious right now :v:

I have nothing worthwhile to add :(
The Molly-Tom-Belle love triangle the doctor likes to talk about (well, at least in his mind it is a love triangle) makes me think that one of them, most likely one of the girls, will be the murderer :v: That would be somehow likely in an Agatha Christie novel :v:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Duke of Avon posted:

-HM mentions the footprints looked like Rita and Barry kept step with each other, which might indicate that they were carrying something? When I was reading back through stuff I found an early reference to the path being four feet wide, which coincides with Johnson's stolen mystery object being four feet long. This may or may not be relevant.

Good catch! I think it sounds incredibly relevant, since HM specifically mentioned the tracks and Johnson's object keeps coming up. Maybe it was an object that helped them get down the cliff somehow, or otherwise hide their footprints on the way back?

The guy is a gardener, so I am thinking it was something used to smooth out their footprints coming back from the cliff. He didn't say what it was and just mentioned the length, so maybe it was just something as simple as a wooden plank with some rope attached. So instead of saying "He stole my rake!" he said "He stole that thing I use, you know, it is 4 feet long?" Of course there might be an actual name for that I am not a gardener.

Alternately, it could be something that helped them move along top of the pebbles that HM noticed and stuck his foot in?

So now I definitely think they brought along something that would help them disguise their escape, and once they talk to Johnson again they will figure it out. So now that just leaves the rest of the mystery (i.e. who actually killed them and where) to solve.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Caught up.

OK, so I don't know how substantial it is at this point, but my standing theory is that "Barry" and Rita were not having an affair. Or at least, they wanted people to know that they were having an affair.

There's no proof that they were sleeping together, aside from the notion that Everybody Knew It. When Dr. Luke catches them together in chapter three, he doesn't say anything and keeps on his way, but Rita calls out to him to make half-assed excuses with Barry. If they really wanted to keep it under wraps, why would she do that? It seems more likely that they specifically wanted Luke to find out about it. That, and the book's title - 'She Died a Lady' - lead me to suspect that Rita and Barry never slept together.

This all raises the question of why. What do they stand to gain from people thinking they were having an affair? Is it a cover story for something? I don't know where I'm going with this but I still think there are decent odds that it's true.

Chapters 13-15 thoughts:

The big question is still how they escaped from the cliffside. Even if they had some four-foot-long thing that would help them escape, when would they have gotten it? They were observed in the house, then left the house and had very little time before the investigation started. No other footprints were seen. Where could they have been hiding something that large?

I had a theory going that Barry shot Rita and then was driving the car when Belle was hiding in it, but that doesn't work, because whoever was driving the car clearly disposed of the murder weapon while doing so. So, both of the murders had to be done by then. So, outstanding questions:

-How did Rita and Barry leave the cliffside without leaving footprints?
-If Rita and Barry meant to escape, why didn't they take the diamonds?
-Who killed them, and why?

Belle is a viable suspect, except how did she get locked in the shed? The key was in the door, but it was on the outside of the room. ...It WAS locked, wasn't it?
The possibility has been raised that thte diamonds were returned, but what possible motivation could there be? If Rita and Barry died, then the only person who had them could be the murderer. Why would they silently return the diamonds to the home? What is their objective?

This is hard!

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2013

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ProfessorProf posted:

The big question is still how they escaped from the cliffside. Even if they had some four-foot-long thing that would help them escape, when would they have gotten it? They were observed in the house, then left the house and had very little time before the investigation started. No other footprints were seen. Where could they have been hiding something that large?

Well, they had a little over twenty minutes; the news started, Alec shushed them and they left the room, then the radio announcer said it was "18 and a half minutes past 9" before Alec and Luke started having their discussion about how Alec already knew about the affair.

I don't think it would be particularly hard to hide something like that, Alec was an old drunk and it seemed to be a fairly large house. They could have simply left it in plain sight and nobody would have questioned it. I just think it fits too perfectly - the only other possibility is they jumped/parachuted, it was specifically called out that they were walking in step, the gardener is missing something, they had to have covered their tracks somehow, if it was 4 feet long and heavy enough to smooth down the soil/pebbles they would have had to carry it together, etc.

Obviously though at this point the bigger question is who had the motive and means to kill them. That is the bigger mystery, and unfortunately I don't see a lot of clues either way the cliffside debate turns out, either the killer needed a way to get away from the cliff undetected or the couple did.

I will have to wait until next chapter before I start speculating on that, I think we are off to a good start so far.

smokieye
Aug 10, 2007

I want to express my suspicion towards Tom at this moment of the book...

quote:

"You," said Tom,"are a predatory female. All of 'em are. It's a question of glands."
-This quote from Tom seems very sudden and out of character for me...Why does he think all women are predatory without much experience with them? Is it because of he was the ex who loved Rita and even kill her and Barry...? I don't have any evidence now but other than being the suspect I counldn't find out what Tom add to this story. Plus he is the son of our likable narrator, so it is a camouflage to our readers...
-Another question is what did Barry do when he said he was going to take back those chairs in the rain? Was he the one who tamper with both vehicles? Or was he meeting up with someone outside (I'm thinking Tom again)?
-Was it Tom who cried in the studio after he did the murder? There are 2 men about the same age as Barry: Ferrars was close to Belle and he always smokes so the smell makes it harder for Belle to make a mistake.
-Tom, being the minority here, didn't like Rita. Was this just opposite saying?
-As a family doctor Tom could easily know Rita/Alec/Barry's everyday habbits and schedule, also their house structure. He could know that his father was going to be there on that night as well. It's possible that he helped Rita and Barry about their suicide plot or maybe it was him who invented the whole thing at the beginning...not sure he truly wanted to help or has murder in his mind from the start.

I'm late to join the party.:unsmith: Enjoying everyone's posts enormously and can't wait for the next part^^.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

smokieye posted:

-This quote from Tom seems very sudden and out of character for me...Why does he think all women are predatory without much experience with them? Is it because of he was the ex who loved Rita and even kill her and Barry...? I don't have any evidence now but other than being the suspect I counldn't find out what Tom add to this story. Plus he is the son of our likable narrator, so it is a camouflage to our readers...
-Another question is what did Barry do when he said he was going to take back those chairs in the rain? Was he the one who tamper with both vehicles? Or was he meeting up with someone outside (I'm thinking Tom again)?
-Was it Tom who cried in the studio after he did the murder? There are 2 men about the same age as Barry: Ferrars was close to Belle and he always smokes so the smell makes it harder for Belle to make a mistake.
-Tom, being the minority here, didn't like Rita. Was this just opposite saying?
-As a family doctor Tom could easily know Rita/Alec/Barry's everyday habbits and schedule, also their house structure. He could know that his father was going to be there on that night as well. It's possible that he helped Rita and Barry about their suicide plot or maybe it was him who invented the whole thing at the beginning...not sure he truly wanted to help or has murder in his mind from the start.

I'm late to join the party.:unsmith: Enjoying everyone's posts enormously and can't wait for the next part^^.

Are you sure that's in chapter 15 or below? I don't remember that quote and I just finished reading till 15.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Grawl posted:

Are you sure that's in chapter 15 or below? I don't remember that quote and I just finished reading till 15.

Kindle search says it's from Chapter 12, so yes.

Speaking of which--time for the final batch of chapters before the solution! We are reading up until the end of chapter seventeen. This book has a very clear cut-off point in regards to when the mystery is solvable--JDC is great with that--so you can definitely solve the crime there. A few minor clues will be presented after that point, but they are not at all necessary to solve the crime and are more like last-minute literary hints as opposed to actual clues.

Anyhow, have at it! Culprit, motive, method, everything is solvable. Have fun with it! And for when you are done reading up to the end of chapter 17...[spoiler for chapter 17]

"I saw the explanation of the whole thing." I love how blatant John Dickson Carr is with this bit. It's almost like he's going "Okay guys--this is it. Moment of truth. Ready?" wish more authors were as direct as him with this. It's so thoughtful!

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

smokieye posted:

I disagree, I think it's very in character for him. His attitude towards women and towards people in general (there was one particulary mean/cynical comment earlier on, but I forgot what it was about) is a bit nasty in my opinion. I know that it's presented more jokingly, but I don't like him. I don't think there was a single thing so far that would indicate he is a murderer though. The person who cried could also be a woman, I think, and if the suicide was staged, it makes sense that the one who tampered with cars were either Barry or Rita. Can't say I don't suspect Tom at all, though. But it's mostly for meta reasons.

I hope I'll be able to read the chapters on time :ohdear:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I think the identification of the garden roller proves that they did use that to cover their tracks and escape. And they did try to sell the diamonds but were not able to get Stephen Grange to do it for them. Which suggests that they must have found another means of financing their escape. Some other clues:

-The whole Emperor Nero thing keeps coming up. So now I am thinking that someone is deliberately messing with the drunken Willie Johnson. Assuming it can't be HM since he has already given away far too many clues to think he is the murder, then the next likely suspect is Ferrars?
-We found out (or it was further confirmed, maybe?) that Molly has a thing for Ferrars.
-The Granges seemed pretty keen for Luke to testify that he moved the gun and that it was suicide. Steve also played up the whole punishment angle heavily, although I still don't think he is involved, he might be protecting Molly and rationalizing her motives.

So right now I think the best I can come up with is that maybe Ferrars and Molly did it? Perhaps Rita came to one or both of them and they decided to murder them and take the diamonds, and were able to return/replace them later.

I just finished the chapters so I will need more discussion and thought to put something a little more concrete together. One thing I am definitely noodling over is the line that made Luke stop mid-thought and figure it out: "Severing communication with the outside world would only have prevented the arrival of the police until-"

So maybe if we can finish that thought we can come up with a better theory.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Well, I still need to read over some things and think a little more, but I do have some wild speculation:

1) I think Barry and Rita did take the diamonds, and the murderer returned them. I...can't really figure out whether this has anything to do with delaying the police (okay, it might give more time to return them, but it took them days to check anyway), or whether it helps anything, but: when Alec comes back from checking for Rita's stuff, he says "Her clothes are still there, but--" and holds up the key. I'm pretty sure HM was right and that he meant that the diamonds were gone.

Now, the whole reason I read through this part again was because I was looking for any way that Tom could possibly be guilty (and I still don't really think he is) because he seems like the only person who could've written the passport recommendation. And it turns out Tom had the souvenir key at one point, because Luke had it when he went for the police and he gave it to Tom to take back to Alec. So Tom could've returned the diamonds, but someone else probably could've as well, since they got the key off Alec pretty easily.

2) That ovaltine is totally poisoned or something. I think Belle was involved with the murder somehow, so this could make sense. Maybe. Though I can't imagine that Belle would ever return the diamonds. I can't decide which parts of Belle's story I think are true and which ones are false, but I'm convinced at least part of it will be lies. I think she'd already been to the studio, at least.

3) Oh! I just thought of something about the delay: the tide. The tide is just coming in when Luke looks over the cliff. If Barry and Rita were trying to fake a suicide and the police got there quickly, it might be obvious there were no bodies. By the time the police actually get there, it's high tide. Not sure how this would help Luke solve it though?

4) I still kind of think Luke is the best suspect, but that doesn't seem likely in this book.

5) Another stupid idea I just came up with: maybe everybody else knows it's Tom, and that's why they're trying to convince Luke to just let it go? :v:

smokieye
Aug 10, 2007

Rita stopped short, drawing together her thin eyebrows. Her expression was so bewildered that I could not help believing it was genuine.

'What on earth are you talking about? I didn't cut any telephone-wires. I don't know anything about them.' A curious look flashed through her eyes. 'Are they cut? In our house? What do you think it means?'

Hum...I feel Rita's reaction was not fake (from Chapter 3), so it should be the murderer who cut that wire? What benefit the murderer but not Rita and Barry if the police were late...? And I think Dr. Luke was chosen to be the witness so that he and Alec both got an alibi...

Still rereading some of the earlier chapters, love everyone's posts!

smokieye fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 27, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I finally caught up and I want to read it over one more time before posting my theory.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's solvable now? gently caress. :saddowns: At this point I'm suspecting pretty much everyone. I have to run and I need to reread the early bit, but just a quick note now it's obvious they weren't killed on the cliff itself, so everyone (except HM, Craft, and our narrator, as they are the detectives) is a possible suspect, including Wainwright.

edit: Wait!! The Wainwright house is far from the town, yeah? They (the killer) probably drained the gas so they would have time to get back to town and cut the lines so the police wouldn't come quickly and find them walking back.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 28, 2013

smokieye
Aug 10, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

the police come quickly and find them walking back.

...:xd:

This is...a hilarious way to get caught...

Edit: spoiler tags.

smokieye fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 28, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The key point is the cutting of the wires. If we can figure that out, we can figure everything out.

Somebody, probably the killer, cut the wires and let the petrol out of the cars. They wanted to stall anyone leaving. Why? What would they have discovered? What temporary situation did they need to keep someone from stumbling upon?

What's the significance of the suitcase?

Why weren't the diamonds taken? I don't buy that they were returned. I can't think of any reason someone would not only return the diamonds, but do so secretly.

Time. We need time to puzzle this out. I've lost track of the characters in the book, I need a refresher. I should go back and look over Sherringford's character list.

Either way, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this one yet.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 30, 2013

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

Why weren't the diamonds taken? I don't buy that they were returned. I can't think of any reason someone would not only return the diamonds, but do so secretly.

Well, my idea is: based on how Belle heard the person crying in the studio, I'm guessing the murder was a "crime of passion" thing, and whoever did it was upset about it and wanted nothing to do with the diamonds/thought Alec ought to have them or whatever. Yeah, not terribly strong, but I just cannot imagine that Alec would've said "Her clothes are still there, but--" and held up the key if the diamonds were there. It would've been and, not but.

Currently I think the murderer has to be someone who would go all crazy over Rita, and frankly nobody seems to fit that bill who isn't already ruled out as a suspect, so what I think doesn't actually make sense. My suspects are Stephen Grange, Paul Ferrars, and Tom Croxley. I keep trying to make Tom fit because he had the key to the diamonds, but Tom as a murderer doesn't work in my head and if it's him I'm obviously missing something.

Speaking of missing things, I feel like there's something else either Barry and Rita or the murderer had to do to when they made sure they delayed the police. It can't be as simple as just making sure they get out before the police come. I'm starting to get another irrational idea about this but I'm going to wait and see what other people say first. The best argument for it being Barry who let out the petrol is that he didn't take the beach chairs in, and came inside wiping his hands. I'm probably falling for all the red herrings here.

Has anyone found any hint as to where Barry and Rita were actually killed? Like...references to good places to drop bodies into the sea, or something? :v:

edit: wait, it has to be the caves, there is so much random poo poo about caves in this book. Going to read back over some things again.
edit again: actually no, there isn't as much as I thought :saddowns:

The Duke of Avon fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 28, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

smokieye posted:

...:xd:

(possibly a spoiler, idk)

Dude, spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokieye
Aug 10, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

The key point is the cutting of the wires. If we can figure that out, we can figure everything out.

Somebody, probably the killer, cut the wires and let the petrol out of the cars. They wanted to stall anyone leaving. Why? What would they have discovered? What temporary situation did they need to keep someone from stumbling upon?

Another possibility is a police officer being the killer? Craft wasn't on my watching list before, I will keep an eye on him rereading.

• Locked thread