Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Google Butt posted:

There are sense based kernels that do this, check XDA.

P.S. the official CM10.1 nightlies for GSM One's are getting pushed now. Should be up soon, apparently.

http://www.get.cm/?device=m7&type=

It seems like a flashing a new kernel would be the most intrusive way to go about it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Chunk posted:

It seems like a flashing a new kernel would be the most intrusive way to go about it, right?

Probably the least intrusive actually, since your only other option is to flash a whole new ROM (one that includes a custom kernel). This isn't something that can be done with the stock kernel as far as I'm aware.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there a way to root a Nexus 4 in a way that does not display that unlocked icon at boot?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Is there a way to root a Nexus 4 in a way that does not display that unlocked icon at boot?
You can relock the bootloader after you root if you want. But if you ever need to unlock again it wipes the device.

I don't really know why you'd care about that icon. How often do you even see it?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

Probably the least intrusive actually, since your only other option is to flash a whole new ROM (one that includes a custom kernel). This isn't something that can be done with the stock kernel as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a recommendation for one? Literally the only reason I plan on rooting is for the menu button and tethering.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Chunk posted:

Do you have a recommendation for one? Literally the only reason I plan on rooting is for the menu button and tethering.

Unfortunately I'm still stuck on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, so I haven't done a tonne of research, but I know that's a low-level enough function that you'd need a new kernel. Maybe some of the One owners around here will have a specific recommendation.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I'm trying to root my Sprint SG3 SPHL710. I was able to flash it fine with Odin, and had copied in Clockwork Mod to the internal drive, but it keeps giving me the Android recovery instead of CW recovery. I'm not sure where I'm missing something, but I've run through all the steps and I'm still getting stuck at this spot. Thanks for any pointers you can give.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wampus42 posted:

I was able to flash it fine with Odin, and had copied in Clockwork Mod to the internal drive, but it keeps giving me the Android recovery instead of CW recovery.
Have you ever applied an OTA update?

If so, then your phone is reflashing stock recovery on every boot. You can get into ClockworkMod by holding down Vol-Up and Home as soon as Odin is done flashing until it reboots into recovery. To fix the problem permanently, you have to (once rooted) delete /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p, or flash a custom boot kernel.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Wampus42 posted:

I'm trying to root my Sprint SG3 SPHL710. I was able to flash it fine with Odin, and had copied in Clockwork Mod to the internal drive, but it keeps giving me the Android recovery instead of CW recovery. I'm not sure where I'm missing something, but I've run through all the steps and I'm still getting stuck at this spot. Thanks for any pointers you can give.

Wait. Are you putting the CWM file into /sdcard or your MicroSD card? Because if so that won't do. It's been a while for me but you should be able to flash CWM with Odin so that it can go into the special recovery partition.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've noticed since going to CM10.1 that my signal indicator always says "H" instead of "LTE."

Does it just not show LTE? Not recognize it? I seem to be getting LTE speeds...

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Wampus42 posted:

Samsung has a special script in their os that reflashes the stock recovery if recovery has been altered. My root kit for my att gs3 came with a flashable zip that killed this script plus installed su.

Mine had instructions to immediately boot to cwm after flashing cwm and flash this zip via cwm without letting the os boot before since it would reflash stock recovery.

Edit: the kit I downloaded on xda was based on a sprint one the same guy had done earlier.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 13, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Your SGS3 is completely different, though. Mine's the quad-core exynos. The only root methods I see are images on xda that I have to flash with Odin.

That doesn't help me with restoring original firmware/modem/Japanese stuff if I need to, though.

Edit: I ended up flashing everything anyway. Did a SIM unlock anyway. Sorry for being a pain in the rear end.

I'm on CM 10.1 now and... is there a way to add things to the pull-down toggles? I'd like to put sound (on, off, vibrate) and rotation in there too...

Seems like you already did it but as a fellow Exynos 4412 owner, I rooted using Framaroot found on XDA. Simple app, exploits some buffer overun exploit in Exynos. Works on alot of devices.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Apologies if it's been asked, or if this is the wrong thread, I wasn't quite sure where to put this.
Is there any way to swap the god awful stock android emoticons for custom ones? Other than installing a keyboard app. Ideally a SA icon pack would be awesome, I'm just terribly sick of the little green horned dudes.

I'm on a rooted Note2 running cleanrom.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
This seems like the most appropriate place to ask: did any of you with a stock Galaxy Nexus have an issue where your phone would lose both wifi and 3g whenever the screen was off and wifi was on, and has running a custom rom or kernel fixed your issue?

edit: specifically, this issue: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40792

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 13, 2013

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

tarepanda posted:

I've noticed since going to CM10.1 that my signal indicator always says "H" instead of "LTE."

It is for HSPA.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

tarepanda posted:

My phone's CM10 build defaults to an APN that doesn't seem to use LTE. I had to go in and change it.

Settings > Mobile Network > Access Point Names

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks for posting that. I had always assumed that I was using LTE, but it turns out I wasn't!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've got the latest OTA update (JB?) on a RAZR MAXX and honestly the default ROM is pretty drat great. My only issue is that the battery indicator doesn't show the percentage and I hate that. Anyone know of a good ROM that can basically just add that and maybe a few customization options for the home screens?

SmashingNine
Jun 7, 2007
I have the HTC One (Not the Dev phone) 32gig and want to "root" it. I'm not wanting to change the OS or run anything crazy on my phone, and I just want to be able to use apps like tasker without the stock OS getting in the way. I'm pretty much confused by the whole process of rooting a phone. The more I read the XDA forums and attempt to read through this forum the more I get confused.
So what I'm getting at is; is there any way for me to get root access without going crazy and doing a lot of personal customization.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Since going to CM10.1 I've noticed lots of little bugs -- fine, since it's nightly.

Now I have a major one: the battery won't charge. I plugged it in before I went to sleep last night, just like I usually do... and woke up this morning with the phone at 8%. Nothing was running in the background; I checked the battery stats and 89% of it was taken by the display... which made no sense since the display had been turned off.

During the day I keep it plugged into my work computer so that it stays charged -- we'll see if that helps charge it a bit today. If that doesn't work, then... I'm hosed? I don't know how I can even reflash or anything if my battery won't charge.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

SmashingNine posted:

I have the HTC One (Not the Dev phone) 32gig and want to "root" it. I'm not wanting to change the OS or run anything crazy on my phone, and I just want to be able to use apps like tasker without the stock OS getting in the way. I'm pretty much confused by the whole process of rooting a phone. The more I read the XDA forums and attempt to read through this forum the more I get confused.
So what I'm getting at is; is there any way for me to get root access without going crazy and doing a lot of personal customization.

There are four key parts, really, to rooting the stock rom.

Please note that unlocking your bootloader will wipe the data on your device so you basically start "fresh".

Installing the drivers:

First off:

Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?o10b16j5b3r3o

Download the appropriate HTC_BMP_USB driver for your O/S
Download the latest HTCDriver file (currently 401001) - the .exe file did not work for me so I had to use the .msi file. Try whatever works for you.

Install both drivers and reboot.

Then:

Unlocking your bootloader:

Download this package: http://goo.gl/T6InE

Extract the .rar package to your C drive (e.g: C:\mini-sdk\)

The file structure will look like this:

Go to http://www.htcdev.com/ and create an account.

Once registered and logged in click on the "Unlock Bootloader" image:

Click on "Get started".

You will see the following option:

Choose the appropriate option - if your phone is not listed choose "All other supported models" and click "Begin unlock bootloader".

Choose "Yes" that you wish to continue.

Tick the two checkboxes and press "Proceed to unlock instructions".

Ignore Step 5, 6 and 7.

CONNECT YOUR PHONE TO YOUR PC VIA THE USB CABLE.

At Step 8, you need to boot your phone into bootloader mode. This is done by powering phone down. Then press Power button and Volume Down button until you get to the bootloader menu.

Highlight Fastboot and press the Power button to select. You will see FASTBOOT highlighted in red (or FASTBOOT USB if your phone is connected to usb port).

Open a command prompt at C:\mini-sdk then run the following command (admin privileges are required so run the cmd with admin privileges): fastboot oem get_identifier_token

You will see a long block of text. Copy and paste this text into the the token field below (look for section headed "My Device Identifier Token".

The text you need to copy starts ith:

<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>

and ends with:

<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>

EG:

DO NOT COPY THE <BOOTLOADER> BIT

Press "Submit".

You will shortly receive an email from HTC with an attachment called "Unlock_code.bin".

Save the attachment to C:\mini-sdk

Open a command prompt at C:\mini-sdk then run the following command (admin privileges are required so run the cmd with admin privileges): fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

Once completed, it will show "Unlocked" at the bootloader.

These instructions are mostly from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2265618 with a few noob-friendly additions by me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now you have unlocked your bootloader, you need to load a recovery.

The easiest way to do this is via a handy tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183942

Download the tool here: http://d-h.st/users/hasoon2000/?fld_id=2808

Extract it to your C drive (the tool doesn't work if the path to One.exe has a space in it).

Launch the tool by double-clicking One.exe:

Your phone needs to be in FASTBOOT mode so follow the same steps you did previously:

quote:

At Step 8, you need to boot your phone into bootloader mode. This is done by powering phone down. Then press Power button and Volume Down button until you get to the bootloader menu.

Highlight Fastboot and press the Power button to select. You will see FASTBOOT highlighted in red (or FASTBOOT USB if your phone is connected to usb port).

Look for the section headed "Next, flash a recovery".

Once in the correct mode, choose your recovery method and press "Flash Recovery" - follow onscreen instructions.

4. You have now unlocked your bootloader and installed a custom recovery. Now you need to root your phone.

Download Rooting Tools from here: http://goo.gl/J3zJv

Place them on your phone.

Boot your device in recovery mode (power off the device and turn it on using power + vol down buttons and select "RECOVERY")

In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard" and "choose zip from sdcard".

Navigate to the location of Rooting Tools (zip) package and confirm flashing procedure.

After flashing process is complete, reboot the device. Your device has now SuperUser.apk, su binary and busybox installed.

Your phone is now using a stock rom with root.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 14, 2013

SmashingNine
Jun 7, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

So now you have unlocked your bootloader, you need to load a recovery.

The easiest way to do this is via a handy tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2183942

Download the tool here: http://d-h.st/users/hasoon2000/?fld_id=2808

Extract it to your C drive (the tool doesn't work if the path to One.exe has a space in it).

Launch the tool by double-clicking One.exe:

Your phone needs to be in FASTBOOT mode so follow the same steps you did previously:

Look for the section headed "Next, flash a recovery".

Once in the correct mode, choose your recovery method and press "Flash Recovery" - follow onscreen instructions.

Reboot your phone once that is done and you will load your stock rom with root capability. You'll need to set it all up again like you did when you bought it.

This was a huge help, but the only problem I'm having is that I got Titanium Backup and it's telling me that my phone is not rooted. I ran the Flash Recovery on all three possible settings, minus "my personal" setting.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like that just flashes a custom recovery, and you still have to flash a superuser app or something.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think I've derped my microSD card, or it's just reaching the peak of its duty cycle. Is it safe to just buy a new one and swap it without messing up my rom? There's about 1.4gb of data missing/allocated that I can't see on there, and to be honest, I don't know if it's anything important to the flashed kernel/rom.

I'm running CM10.1 5/11 nightly on a i777/att galaxy s2, if it matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Since going to CM10.1 I've noticed lots of little bugs -- fine, since it's nightly.

Now I have a major one: the battery won't charge. I plugged it in before I went to sleep last night, just like I usually do... and woke up this morning with the phone at 8%. Nothing was running in the background; I checked the battery stats and 89% of it was taken by the display... which made no sense since the display had been turned off.

During the day I keep it plugged into my work computer so that it stays charged -- we'll see if that helps charge it a bit today. If that doesn't work, then... I'm hosed? I don't know how I can even reflash or anything if my battery won't charge.
This sounds like a hardware issue rather than a ROM issue. Have you checked the port and swapped the cable? Can you try a different charger? Does it show it charging ever?

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

This seems like the most appropriate place to ask: did any of you with a stock Galaxy Nexus have an issue where your phone would lose both wifi and 3g whenever the screen was off and wifi was on, and has running a custom rom or kernel fixed your issue?

edit: specifically, this issue: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40792
Download this app and add the SSIDs of networks you use with regularity to the automatically turn on list. Also make sure you've got wifi sleep to Always under Settings > Wifi > ⋮ > Advanced Wifi Settings, "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep".

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 14, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

LastInLine posted:

This sounds like a hardware issue rather than a ROM issue.

That's what I thought, but it's a little too coincidental for it to happen right after I switched to CM10.1

LastInLine posted:

Have you checked the port and swapped the cable?

Did both, port looks fine.

LastInLine posted:

Can you try a different charger?

Tried two others and it didn't charge.

LastInLine posted:

Does it show it charging ever?

Every time I plug it in.

I did get it to charge when it was plugged into my Mac Mini today. It just doesn't seem to want to charge with a regular charger and cable -- all of which have worked fine with it so far...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tarepanda posted:

That's what I thought, but it's a little too coincidental for it to happen right after I switched to CM10.1

Did both, port looks fine.

Tried two others and it didn't charge.

Every time I plug it in.

I did get it to charge when it was plugged into my Mac Mini today. It just doesn't seem to want to charge with a regular charger and cable -- all of which have worked fine with it so far...
So it actually displays the charging icon then you go to use the device and welp, no change or worse it has a lower charge than when you started? That is definitely hosed up and not my experience on CM10.1 on a Galaxy Nexus. What device are you using?

Using a Mac Mini is an okay solution since you can at least charge the device. I don't know specifically how Macs handle charging an Android device. OS X can increase the amount of power a port can give but I don't know if they do it for Androids charging (you'll note that portable HDDs don't need to be plugged into two ports, they will increase the draw on the single port to 1a to power the drive and transfer the data). Either way it shouldn't provide more power than the stock charger or any plug in charger really.

First thing I'd say is make a nandroid of your current install then nandroid back to what you had prior to going to CM10.1. I guess you'll have to verify that it charges on the old software and if it does I'm stumped. It's got to be something sucking down battery faster than it can charge or some horrible bug where the phone just won't charge.

You might want to try the latest RC for your device since I'm sure they didn't let a build that wouldn't charge be called a release candidate.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

LastInLine posted:

First thing I'd say is make a nandroid of your current install then nandroid back to what you had prior to going to CM10.1.

Yeah, see... I couldn't root without flashing before -- this is why I was asking questions a page or two ago about backup solutions. So no pre-CM10.1 nandroid.

LastInLine posted:

You might want to try the latest RC for your device since I'm sure they didn't let a build that wouldn't charge be called a release candidate.

There is no RC for my device. I'm using a nightly (and think I mentioned it before). Docomo quad-core SGS3 alpha.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, see... I couldn't root without flashing before -- this is why I was asking questions a page or two ago about backup solutions. So no pre-CM10.1 nandroid.

There is no RC for my device. I'm using a nightly (and think I mentioned it before). Docomo quad-core SGS3 alpha.
Ah yes, that's right. I'm afraid my knowledge of non-Nexus devices isn't comprehensive so I'm just spitballing. I imagine there's a way to make a nandroid now, so do that, flash back to stock (rooted, preferably, so you can reload your apps to see if they make a difference) then test that for charge problems. I don't know how it works in the non-Nexus world but I imagine once you've got a custom recovery you can just flash ROMs willy-nilly? If so there should be a stock rooted ROM out there somewhere so you can test.

Given that there's no official Exynos SGS3 CM support you might need to check wherever it is you've found the build and see if this is a common problem.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

SmashingNine posted:

This was a huge help, but the only problem I'm having is that I got Titanium Backup and it's telling me that my phone is not rooted. I ran the Flash Recovery on all three possible settings, minus "my personal" setting.

Sorry, I completely forgot the last bit. I blame tiredness.

quote:

Download Rooting Tools from here: http://goo.gl/J3zJv

Place them on your phone.

Boot your device in recovery mode (power off the device and turn it on using power + vol down buttons and select "RECOVERY")

In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard" and "choose zip from sdcard".

Navigate to the location of Rooting Tools (zip) package and confirm flashing procedure.

After flashing process is complete, reboot the device. Your device has now SuperUser.apk, su binary and busybox installed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

I think I've derped my microSD card, or it's just reaching the peak of its duty cycle. Is it safe to just buy a new one and swap it without messing up my rom? There's about 1.4gb of data missing/allocated that I can't see on there, and to be honest, I don't know if it's anything important to the flashed kernel/rom.

I'm running CM10.1 5/11 nightly on a i777/att galaxy s2, if it matters.

Are you on Windows? And do you have hidden folders shown? If not, do so and check for LOST.DIR, sometimes those folders eat up space.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Any ideas for a ROM for my Galaxy Note 2 if I want something spiffy and stable?

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Download this app and add the SSIDs of networks you use with regularity to the automatically turn on list. Also make sure you've got wifi sleep to Always under Settings > Wifi > ⋮ > Advanced Wifi Settings, "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep".

The app is the first thing I tried; it doesn't seem to help. I've had the setting enabled forever.

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 14, 2013

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Bhm posted:

Pretty much anything touchwiz based is going to be stable. Most of the AOSP roms have issues.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Bhm posted:

I've been using the Jelly Beans Rom found over at XDA. I haven't had any major issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2032447

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you on Windows? And do you have hidden folders shown? If not, do so and check for LOST.DIR, sometimes those folders eat up space.

I am, and I do! But, every directory on there (including LOST.DIR) just contains 0 bytes, which makes me think something is up with the card. I'm going to try formatting it to see if it makes any difference, but it's just a dinky 2gb anyhow -- I'll probably end up just swapping it out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

enojy posted:

I am, and I do! But, every directory on there (including LOST.DIR) just contains 0 bytes, which makes me think something is up with the card. I'm going to try formatting it to see if it makes any difference, but it's just a dinky 2gb anyhow -- I'll probably end up just swapping it out.

For 2GB, yeah, just upgrade. There are very affordable 8GB cards aplenty. I've got a 32GB card in my S4, and I'll be upgrading to a 64GB shortly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

US SGS3 users: Most of you probably know this but if you're having problems on CM10.1 make sure you've seen this G+ by Cyanogen.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

US SGS3 users: Most of you probably know this but if you're having problems on CM10.1 make sure you've seen this G+ by Cyanogen.

Thank you so much. I tried to update to the latest nightly last night and I kept getting a status 7 error and I had no idea why. Now to figure out where to get the new bootloader and remember how to flash it.

edit: so do I have to flash back to stock then reinstall CM10.1, or is there just a bootloader I can flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I saw that last night on G+, but why did they leave out the d2vzw?