Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Here's another dope track thomas b. produced at the end of the 90's, don't know how popular/known about it ever got outside of France & Québec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3fv6Q9mEg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I can definitely envision holograms being used at their next show. I'd kill to art direct that show, I have so many ideas. The idea of robots performing the sound of the past remixed alive 2007 style makes me get goosebumps.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I am curious to hear what music is being played in these Southern Californian warehouses that is better than Hey Ya.
Ha.

KingAsmo, my dude. What kinda parties we talking here? Darkmatter are my homies (I started So Simple idk if u know them), Droid are bomb. Basically are we talking techno or hipster poo poo or breakcore?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

KingAsmo posted:

This is it exactly. I would be fine with a Discrovery 2.0 because all the previous DP stuff sounded really fresh and exciting and this is why everyone was attracted to them. They were really good at making their own unique sound, and another album with a similar sound but new songs would be great.

Instead it seems they were focused on sounding like other people and I think it's really hard to do Fleetwood Mac better than Fleetwood Mac or Brian Eno better than Brian Eno.

I like Fleetwood Mac, but I dont need a fleetwood mac cover band with a vocoder. Chromeo already did that good enough.

Ok, but none of the songs really sound like Fleetwood Mac. If you are gonna dog it for apeing the 70s, at least get it right and say vocoder Earth, Wind, and Fire or Jamiroquai or something.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Is the vinyl going to be a double LP? I'm interested if the vinyl release will change my opinion about the pacing at all. It seems like there's a lot of starts and stops. The placing of songs like "Beyond" would make a lot more since in the context of being the opener of say, Side C.

"Beyond" totally sounds like an opener and I can't get over it not being the first song.

Overal, pacing is really the only thing bogging this down for me, minus a few bloated instrumentals (I'm looking at your "Motherboard").

Edit: Don't know why I didn't just Google my initial question. It is not a double LP. gently caress it, I'm just going to re-order "Beyond" on my playlist.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 16, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

WaffleStomp posted:

Is the One More Time Daft Punk tribute worth seeing for $16? They are playing near me in August, and I can't really tell from YouTube if they do their own remixes of DP material, or if they just press play on Alive 2007 and wear the costumes for 90 minutes.

Yes. Yes yes yes. They are awesome. I saw them last Saturday and I am still having glorious flashbacks of awesomeness. Please go see them

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

AwwJeah posted:

Is the vinyl going to be a double LP? I'm interested if the vinyl release will change my opinion about the pacing at all. It seems like there's a lot of starts and stops. The placing of songs like "Beyond" would make a lot more since in the context of being the opener of say, Side C.

"Beyond" totally sounds like an opener and I can't get over it not being the first song.

Overal, pacing is really the only thing bogging this down for me, minus a few bloated instrumentals (I'm looking at your "Motherboard").

Edit: Don't know why I didn't just Google my initial question. It is not a double LP. gently caress it, I'm just going to re-order "Beyond" on my playlist.

It's totally a double LP.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KingAsmo posted:

I disagree, I think if you dropped Hey Ya at a party right now people would think it was stale and played out. If its so influential in popular culture then what are some other songs / albums / genres / groups that couldn't exist without the musical ideas developed in Speakerboxxx / Love Below? This new Daft Punk is the same way, it does nothing to advance the genre of electronic music, and it is worse than the Outkast album because its not even fun to dance to. Are we so unoriginal that we have to remake the music of the 70s without any contemporary contribution? This album sounds like Fleetwood Mack with T-Pain singing on every song. I'm all for revisiting old styles, but at least make it new.

This is not true at all, I dropped Hey Ya at a party and people went nuts.

Anyways I listened to the interview they had on the BBC radio and heard they were going to remix their own stuff. Which is awesome because that remix on Daft Club was so good. Also I look at this album as their way of trying to make new high quality disco for people to sample for years to come, especially after reading the cover story and watching the DJ falcon video. Also holy poo poo I love Touch, its so good.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 16, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Touch has grown on me, it took several listens. The whole album pretty much makes sense to me now, or at least is starting to. I would love for them to remix all of these songs, on some hopefully more housey stuff. Too much to hope for? Maybe. Nile Rodgers really killed it on guitar, btw.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Touch's line "You almost convinced me I'm real" may be my favorite part of the album. The edge given to it is just fuckin perfect.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie

KingAsmo posted:

I think Random Access Memories will have a much shorter shelf life than Homework and Discovery, does anyone think it will be the other way around?

The idea of Homework having lasting appeal, at least for people who weren't fans from the beginning, is sketchy to me. I don't mean to be dismissive of the album because it was really one of the best in that genre, but it's a niche genre to begin with. Same goes for RAM; maybe it'll make kids care about disco for two weeks while fanboys are playing it on repeat and convincing themselves that it's solid gold. Again, it doesn't take highly developed taste to know that RAM is a good album, but fans don't love it because it's a new and fresh musical statement; they love it because it's Daft Punk.

I feel like essentially the same situation could apply for any group that exists for 10+ years. But I don't know enough about music in general to make that judgment. I do feel safe saying that they didn't really need a disco opera on the scale of Andrew Lloyd Webber for their comeback album.

e: on the other hand, the Wee Waa thing is brilliant and I can't wait for the postmortem. Everybody in the promo videos sounds confused, disingenuous and vaguely afraid.

QCIC fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 16, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Which songs, exactly, on this album, are the most blatantly disco influenced, funk influenced, or both? Coming from someone who has only a limited interaction (though not altogether absent) with those genres.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

an skeleton posted:

Touch has grown on me, it took several listens. The whole album pretty much makes sense to me now, or at least is starting to. I would love for them to remix all of these songs, on some hopefully more housey stuff. Too much to hope for? Maybe. Nile Rodgers really killed it on guitar, btw.

Daft Punk straight up said in a radio interview that they plan to remix this album themselves.

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
I also love the title RAM because I can pretend that reviewers are talking about the Paul McCartney album.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

-Inu- posted:

On a side note, we now know this is fake, but does anyone know who the actual artist is?

Give this a go for the comparison.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/405816/LYTD_fake_vs_Yellowire.mp3

More specifically, you'd be looking for this... https://soundcloud.com/yellowire/tonight-is-the-night-beato

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

an skeleton posted:

Which songs, exactly, on this album, are the most blatantly disco influenced, funk influenced, or both? Coming from someone who has only a limited interaction (though not altogether absent) with those genres.

Pretty much all of it with the exception of one tune that somehow snuck its way out of the Tron soundtrack leftover bin. (Which was still good because that album is amazing on its own.)

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Philthy posted:

Pretty much all of it with the exception of one tune that somehow snuck its way out of the Tron soundtrack leftover bin. (Which was still good because that album is amazing on its own.)

Ive only thoroughly listened to Tron like once or something, is it really worth listening to? I feel like it would only be truly experienced on a big sound system or whatever. Is it ok just at the gym or chilling?

I'm really liking Instant Crush now, except Julian's voice seems to change from chorus to verse, sounds kind of weird to me. Anyone else notice that?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Finally listened to this thing the whole way through, I don't see much of it setting any dance floors on fire but we'll see. Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, and Contact were probably the standouts for me. I really like Give Life Back to Music as an opener as well. I don't get the hype surrounding Doin' It Right at all though.

I don't dislike the album, but I'm not instantly hooked on it either. We'll see if it grows on me over time, but I actually liked Human After All before Alive 2007 took it to the next level.

echo
echo
echo

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

sonicice posted:

Finally listened to this thing the whole way through, I don't see much of it setting any dance floors on fire but we'll see. Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, and Contact were probably the standouts for me. I really like Give Life Back to Music as an opener as well. I don't get the hype surrounding Doin' It Right at all though.

I don't dislike the album, but I'm not instantly hooked on it either. We'll see if it grows on me over time, but I actually liked Human After All before Alive 2007 took it to the next level.

echo
echo
echo

Hah, I only semi-liked the album upon first listen and now I am really liking the entire package, finding both large and small things in songs that I didn't notice before. For instance, I loved Giorgio at first but I just noticed the extent of the crazy drumming going on towards the middle/end parts.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
I think the takeaway I get from this album is it's not about where, who and how much money an album costs to make. The anti-laptop producer elitist vibe I get from some of the interviews + collaborators is a little troubling, like there is something wrong with using what you've got. Not everybody can spend 4 years in a $2,000,000 (I made this number up!) studio, come back to earth please you aren't actually robots. Music should be fun and inspiring who cares how you get there, most of this album is super polished yet boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm missing something when people describe the album as dull and then call Doin' it Right a highlight. It's the most uninteresting, useless track on there by a pretty wide margin, imo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

A couple of my house/electronica listening friends that love Daft Punk have been ragging on this album for the last day and I just don't get it. I don't understand the sentiment that a band must stick to the same regimen when developing music. While I think there are some weaker songs on the album (Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky), Giorgio (holy poo poo), Give Life Back to Music and Contact feel like straight up classics that will be around forever.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bown posted:

I feel like I'm missing something when people describe the album as dull and then call Doin' it Right a highlight. It's the most uninteresting, useless track on there by a pretty wide margin, imo.

I agree Doin' It Right is not that good. I dont really like any of the songs yet but ill probably keep trying for a while cause I dont really have anything else to listen to atm... 2013 has been slow so far

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Vanderdeath posted:

A couple of my house/electronica listening friends that love Daft Punk have been ragging on this album for the last day and I just don't get it. I don't understand the sentiment that a band must stick to the same regimen when developing music. While I think there are some weaker songs on the album (Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky), Giorgio (holy poo poo), Give Life Back to Music and Contact feel like straight up classics that will be around forever.

Change for the sake of change isn't automatically good. Bands should do new things but if you think the music is bad, you don't give them a gold star and support them no matter what like they were your brother or something.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

an skeleton posted:

Yes. Yes yes yes. They are awesome. I saw them last Saturday and I am still having glorious flashbacks of awesomeness. Please go see them

The Houston show? A few of my friends went and were unimpressed/disappointed. Both big Daft Punk fans, too. I meant to go but my plans changed last-minute.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nail Rat posted:

Change for the sake of change isn't automatically good. Bands should do new things but if you think the music is bad, you don't give them a gold star and support them no matter what like they were your brother or something.

Mars Volta/Omar stockholm syndrome has conditioned me to disagree.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Vanderdeath posted:

It's not that a band should stay the same, it's just that changes in style can sometimes turn out really, really poorly, but it's not impossible to come out of it well - I mean, Daft Punk themselves made a huge leap going from Homework to Discovery and it turned out pretty drat well. Here, take a listen to these songs by Amon Tobin (it's not Daft Punk because you're familiar with their work and would go into listening with that in mind - hopefully you don't Amon but he's not exactly obscure so this might be a misfire):

Here's a track off of his second studio album, Bricolage. It and his first one were mostly acid jazz, using a lot of samples and adding a whole lot of beats to those samples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXU5aUbJ_W8

Here's one off his fifth album, Out From Out Where. Obviously way different, more upbeat, twitchy, and has chopped and skewed vocals. A few of the tracks on the album experiment with gapless transitions as well, which is a first for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyxJ-2yPgA

And finally, here's a track from his most recent release, ISAM. It's an even huger departure, way dreamier in a way even the spacier tracks on Bricolage weren't, no more samples, no more breakbeats, just straight-up Amon Tobin fooling around with a bunch of sound synthesis that he himself programmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jZqk0tq1w

I picked these because if you didn't know it was from the same artist you'd have a really hard time picking it out of a lineup (not to mention they were released in 1997, 2002, and 2011 respectively). The thing is, every album that he's done has been a departure of style from the previous, but when it does something original, it does something really original. Even if you don't like the sound of the tracks themselves (Bricolage was one of the few albums Pitchfork ever gave a 10, and they ended up giving ISAM a 5.9), they're all very much something unique and inventive, and while they 100% do draw on a whole lot of influences, they're never overly derivative.

The thing about RAM is that a lot of the times it is actually a pretty good album. It's very polished, and there's obviously lot of craftsmanship that went into it. The problem with it is that it just doesn't bring anything new to the table - no matter how good-sounding the tracks can be, they're all rehashes of the styles of music they're paying tribute to rather than contributions to that genre, which is really out of form for Daft Punk. For a band that's known for continually reshaping dance music, an album that people have been waiting eight years for that sounds fine but doesn't bring anything new to the table for a lot of those people is just kind of a letdown. I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy it - more power to you, honestly - but high expectations meeting reality ends pretty poorly a lot of the time, and for a lot of the people here in the thread, this is a case of that.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 16, 2013

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Bown posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that track is really... boring?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

hitze posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that track is really... boring?

It almost feels like a bonus track. If the rest of the tracks had a smidgen of more coherence with eachother I'd say it doesn't fit on the album but the amount of experimenting going on carries me past it. Like oh, 2010's shimmering beatz and indie anthems yep check that off too. It's not my favorite on the album but it sounds radio ready.

After a lot of listens the only two tracks I can't find something to love in are "Within" and "Instant Crush". I think my problem with "Within" is that "Game of love" sets a new standard for how morose a daft punk track can be...and then "Within" comes along after just a one track break and obliterates it, there's just no real prior context for daft punk being in a depressive sad piano mood, even the rest of the album only hints at anything that down. The track also puts a big spotlight on their lyrics which are just dumb enough to be brilliant for dance, but not anywhere near strong enough to sell this kind of song. There's some fun harmony work going on with the vocoder but it's in the service of something sooooooo down.

I'm really honestly considering replacing this track with the Daft Club track of Chilly Gonzales doing "too long". It's the same collab with much much better results, even the bombast and artistry in it fits better with the rest of the album.

Instant Crush is just a Strokes song through and through and I can't shake it. It might be more interesting if I wasn't a big strokes fan or if JC hadn't already done some electro-exploring.

Every other song has something for the head and the heart.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 16, 2013

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Vanderdeath posted:

Classics to who though? They just are not really relevant to a 'scene' anymore at all, and if you enjoy house music in general there's nothing really to be excited about here, it's not another Homework or even a discovery and they never will make another relevant album like that. In the interviews i read they seem out-of-touch to be honest if their comments were real, one was implying they don't even barely listen to current electronic releases.

If you are one of those people who has been excited about this with only a passing interest in House in general i recommend getting into it a lot more; there's tons of stuff coming out all the time for whatever style you are into. Just not in album format (which imo is a good thing anyway. give me regular 2/4 track EPs over albums every 5 years any time).

I'm glad people bought up that Stardust track, i was listening to it yesterday, now that was a relevant amazing track.. it never gets old. I also like Disco btw and it isn't even particularly original to try and do that style, there's TONS of nu-disco and disco house remakes released all the time. Check stuff on Needwant records and go from there. Also just want to mention Julio Bashmore - Everybody Needs A Theme Tune EP since it was one of my favourite house releases of the last few years, and immensely more forward thinking, polished and original than anything Daft Punk has done for years.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2013

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol julio bashmore and daft punk don't make the same kind of music and saying "this is better" just means that you like dancefloor oriented house music more than disco.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like people who say "DP shouldn't have to make the same thing over and over" are really missing the point of a lot of the complaints. The problem is that Daft Punk never really does the same thing over and over, and a bunch of people were hyped on the idea of them returning to a style that worked ridiculously well (Discovery), and expanding it on it with live instrumentation and original compositions.

It feels like sometimes people are implying that Daft Punk has released multiple samey albums over the past 2 decades and that RAM is a sudden, welcome breath of fresh air. That's not really true.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I remember hearing the exact same thing about Discovery. Yeah some of these tracks are good but WHO ARE THEY FOR!?! This is girls music! Ugh so sugary!

Maybe it's because I wasn't old enough to be clubbing around the time Discovery came out and no clubs near me play that kind of music anyway...but I always had an appreciaton for Discovery as an entire album and always assumed that it was a Euro club thing, with One more Time being a big radio hit.

I think it's a lot more of a longshot for anything from this setting clubs on fire but it's a great album, and that's mostly what I had with Discovery anyway.

All this is my very personal take, not any comment on THE SCENE or whatever.

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like people who say "DP shouldn't have to make the same thing over and over" are really missing the point of a lot of the complaints. The problem is that Daft Punk never really does the same thing over and over, and a bunch of people were hyped on the idea of them returning to a style that worked ridiculously well (Discovery), and expanding it on it with live instrumentation and original compositions.

It feels like sometimes people are implying that Daft Punk has released multiple samey albums over the past 2 decades and that RAM is a sudden, welcome breath of fresh air. That's not really true.

Odd because I'm getting the exact opposite feeling about the response. People saying "I can't dance to this poo poo!" and "This is terrible house music!" make me wonder if they appreciate how big of a leap homework->discovery really is. If a group is willing to change themselves THAT much how could you put RAM past them? How could you count on them for anything? The frenchmen who made Electroma and the TRON soundtrack do not exactly strike me as the type who are obsessed with dancefloor takeover music anymore.

I admit RAM is probably an even bigger leap from their past but people were actually looking for Discovery 2? I was actually shocked at how much it sounded like Discovery 2 and I figured people hoping for that would be pleasantly surprised with at least SOME tracks.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 16, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ToastyPotato posted:

Where did anyone read this album was going to be a return to the style of Discovery? Literally everything I read said it wasn't going to sound like old Daft Punk albums. If I get hyped for something I tend to read about that subject.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Spacebump posted:

Where did anyone read this album was going to be a return to the style of Discovery? Literally everything I read said it wasn't going to sound like old Daft Punk albums. If I get hyped for something I tend to read about that subject.

It's not so much that it would sound exactly like Discovery, but that it would be similar. This was mostly due to the teasers and leaks. People were expecting more Discovery and less Human After All, but I think they got caught off guard by the pretty chill album they got instead. And most people I know who were excited about the album weren't really reading about it, or at least, never mentioned any interviews or articles outside of the collaborator videos.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
With the exception of a few tracks, I feel like this album just had no energy or vibrancy injected into it. For all the interesting angles and aspects, it lacks fun. Even the most fun tracks (Lose yourself, Get Lucky, etc...) feel like a charade, a bit.

Like, they aren't having fun, they are just acting like they are. The music, the singers.

Also, the insane reliance on talkbox/vocoder is just tiring.

The Paul Williams song is idiotic with the chosen singer. And as an instrumental is just a gimmicky mash up of sound effects most of the time.

I know everyone has different opinions here and I respect that. I think the only viewpoint I resent being bandied about are that the people who don't like it are "Just not informed enough..." ,"Don't like disco..." or "Were expecting Homework/Discovery all over again..."

You know if this had been 2 French Robot slick motherfuckers playing banjo covers of their favorite hits, and they had done so with ENERGY and PASSION that came through, I would probably be the biggest fan of the album in the world.

It just feels like it's missing something. A few things, actually. It's hollow. (to my ears.)

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

mynameisjohn posted:

lol julio bashmore and daft punk don't make the same kind of music and saying "this is better" just means that you like dancefloor oriented house music more than disco.

It's just a random suggestion of accessible popular (here at least) house that came to mind, that's actually recent.. i don't really like one better than the other. But trying to push people further into House with obvious suggestions people usually 'get' is a good idea no? If people are probably into mostly into Daft Punk through the discovery album then they could probably check out Millennium Disco Vol 1 & 2, and they are free too so that's cool.

And Intel&Sebastian; stuff like One More Time was kinda overly cheesy even for disco house. It's not dismissing it, it really is overly saccharine to the point where you might avoid putting it in a set cause of that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think that comes from the fact that their previous albums have been demonstrations of how to get a human sound out of electronic music, whereas here it's getting a human sound out of humans which you don't really have to shop around for.

I'm completely off your page on the vocoder though. Their expertise and "Emotion from electronics" motto comes through in the vocoder work here as well as any other track they've done. They play the vocoder the way Chilly plays piano, like they know it so well they don't have anything to do but find the raw emotion in the thing. The robo quartet singing "Hold on, if love is the answer you're home" when Touch drops gives me goosebumps like crazy.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

infinity2005 posted:

And Intel&Sebastian; stuff like One More Time was kinda overly cheesy even for disco house. It's not dismissing it, it really is overly saccharine to the point where you might avoid putting it in a set cause of that.

That's why I loved it. All the techno I had at the time right then had this kind of implied darkness, like even stuff that wasn't straight up dark still sounded like it was meant to be played by some guy with a snarl on his face and at that point I thought it was just not possible to make good EDM with a smile. Again take this for what it was, I was a one man scene at the time for electronic music. My music fan friends didn't like Electronic music at all, much less electronic music that sounded like SPACE CANDY LAND ADVENTURE TIME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I remember hearing the exact same thing about Discovery. Yeah some of these tracks are good but WHO ARE THEY FOR!?! This is girls music! Ugh so sugary!

Maybe it's because I wasn't old enough to be clubbing around the time Discovery came out and no clubs near me play that kind of music anyway...but I always had an appreciaton for Discovery as an entire album and always assumed that it was a Euro club thing, with One more Time being a big radio hit.

I think it's a lot more of a longshot for anything from this setting clubs on fire but it's a great album, and that's mostly what I had with Discovery anyway.

discovery was for everyone because the message of the album was ultimately unconditional love. almost all of the tracks elicit a smile and because of that get the dance floor going. this one's message is that "music today sucks, and we're here to fix it" which isn't really true and seems exclusionary.

they just seem really disconnected with the world at large. i think the instrumentation on it is good and, thus, the album has redeeming qualities, but the music totally lacks soul. it's telling that people's favorite songs are the one's with the collaborators most inspired efforts (giorgo get lucky and doin it right) and that most of the original music falls flat.

so disappointed. this album is bullshit.

• Locked thread