Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ahahaha, that article is all the bullshit.

I love how he hand waves away the comparison of denying gay marriage to denying interracial marriage with the benefit of his placement in the world today, after decades of progressives having the idea of differences in races beaten out of society's consciousness with a hammer.

"Well the reason this is silly is that there's very little difference between a black man and a white man"

Uhh yeah, lets go see what people were saying about that in the 30's and 40's you tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is this article bullshit? Is this article from Town Hall Dot Com?

Those two questions are equivalent.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The exact same thing is done with gay rights. Conservatives try to make it sound like discrimination against gays doesn't exist (the local right-wing radio hack literally said that yesterday) and that arresting gays for existing hasn't been a thing since the 1950s. Please ignore that they spent 40 years trying to keep sodomy laws on the books and that prior to Lawrence v Texas criminalizing gays was a mainstream Republican position supported by the likes of GWB and Rick Perry along with the entire religious right.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 16, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would also point out to those people that Lawrence v. Texas was only argued in 2003.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I really love when the point of these articles is "LOOK AT THESE TERRIBLE THINGS" and the things they list are all good things.

The article's facts aren't really bullshit, the article's tone is though, but yea I'm pretty sure all that did go down.

I'm reminded of this billboard from the last election:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

--In 2010 eHarmony, for years the country's largest online dating service, was sued for only matching men and women. Its lack of same-sex matchmaking meant that it violated anti-discrimination laws in some states. As a result, eHarmony was forced to begin a same-sex online service.
So, eHarmony chose to start up a whole new site, rather than just adding a dropdown to their regular site to specify what gender(s) you're interested in.

This is because the guy who runs eHarmony is a bigoted fuckface.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Thanatosian posted:

So, eHarmony chose to start up a whole new site, rather than just adding a dropdown to their regular site to specify what gender(s) you're interested in.

Also, their made-up science is strictly nohomo.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Thanatosian posted:

Separate but equal.

Also I'm imagining their software being so lovely that it would match two heterosexual people of the same sex together because they shared a bunch of common interests. This other person is also a heterosexual marathon runner who loves pizza - you two have so much in common!

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also I'm imagining their software being so lovely that it would match two heterosexual people of the same sex together because they shared a bunch of common interests. This other person is also a heterosexual marathon runner who loves pizza - you two have so much in common!

No, it's mostly for technical reasons. eHarmony uses bipartite graph matching as a major part of their algorithm. In order to do that, you need to be able to split the pool of people (the vertices of the graph) into two distinct chunks that don't overlap. Hetero relationships under a gender binary assumption fits the bill.

That's not to say eHarmony's way is the only way. There are plenty of other ways to run a matching algorithm that don't use the bipartite method, like OKCupid. It's also entirely possible use a bipartite matching method for pairing up gay people, but it's less guaranteed, because you need to consider if people within each pool might be a better match.

rypakal posted:

Also, their made-up science is strictly nohomo.

Again, not entirely. They've only really tested/planned it towards hetero people (which is its own can of worms as to why; that's where the bigotry came in), so there's no guarantee made that their matching algorithm will work for any case other than the one they planned for. I'm sure the fact that it's run by a bigot doesn't help the pool of potential users grow, which would actually improve the matching.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 17, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

SporkOfTruth posted:

Again, not entirely. They've only really tested/planned it towards hetero people (which is its own can of worms as to why; that's where the bigotry came in), so there's no guarantee made that their matching algorithm will work for any case other than the one they planned for. I'm sure the fact that it's run by a bigot doesn't help the pool of potential users grow, which would actually improve the matching.

I think maybe I was being being too coy. The matching "science" is hokum. It has no proven scientific validity

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

rypakal posted:

I think maybe I was being being too coy. The matching "science" is hokum. It has no proven scientific validity

That's true; the "success" mostly comes from the fact that a questionnaire that takes 18 hours to fill out and ridiculously high membership fees weeds out anyone but the super-super-serious, who would succeed in a long-term relationship anyway.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nevada's Assembly Committee approved the gay marriage ban repeal. Next up in the lengthy complicated process is a full vote from the lower house. Passage is expected.

Also, with the recent announcements from Dukakis and Mondale, every living Democrat who has run for President now supports marriage equality.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sweeney Tom posted:

Nevada's Assembly Committee approved the gay marriage ban repeal. Next up in the lengthy complicated process is a full vote from the lower house. Passage is expected.

Also, with the recent announcements from Dukakis and Mondale, every living Democrat who has run for President now supports marriage equality.

What about the Nevada State Senate, how does the situation look there?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RZApublican posted:

What about the Nevada State Senate, how does the situation look there?
Passed last month. It will need to pass again in 2015 and the public will vote in 2016.

It's not any faster, but a public petition can guard against the chance of a conservative legislature in 2015. The public would have to approve in in 2014 and 2016.

Speediest options are the Prop 8 decision next month or the Nevada-specific Sevcik next year.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The French Constitutional Council has ruled that the same-sex marriage law was fully consistent with the constitution. It'll probably be signed by the president later today.

gently caress yes!

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007
The Portuguese Parliament just barely aproved coadoption (adoption of the child/s of their partner) by gay couples. The adoption bill also proposed sadly didn't pass but at least it is a step on the right direction.

Evil Creature fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 17, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Kassad posted:

The French Constitutional Council has ruled that the same-sex marriage law was fully consistent with the constitution. It'll probably be signed by the president later today.

gently caress yes!

loving finally, the whole circus is over. Gonna be some particularly bitter homophobe tears over this. :allears: That's admirably quick of Hollande although I imagine he just wants the drat thing over and done with.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It turns that Hollande will promulgate the law tomorrow after all.

Crameltonian posted:

loving finally, the whole circus is over. Gonna be some particularly bitter homophobe tears over this. :allears: That's admirably quick of Hollande although I imagine he just wants the drat thing over and done with.

The bitterness is incredible. Earlier I watched some right-wing woman say that this law may be the sign that the government is no longer legitimate.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kassad posted:

The bitterness is incredible. Earlier I watched some right-wing woman say that this law may be the sign that the government is no longer legitimate.

Now comes the time for the french tea parties. I can see it now, teabags stapled to powdered wigs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kassad posted:

Time for the sixth republic?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kassad posted:

You know what Orson Scott Card said, governments endorsing gay marriage is just cause to overthrow them!

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Gays? Not in my country!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

cheetah7071 posted:

Time for the sixth republic?

The leader of the movement, Frigide Barjot, said that the law amounted to a change in political regime (which is a bad thing, of course).

hangedman1984 posted:

Now comes the time for the french tea parties. I can see it now, teabags stapled to powdered wigs.

They've already been demonstrating with old-ey costumes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The South :smith:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Kurtofan posted:

The South :smith:

Is the south terrible in France too?

Also what are they holding, the bible?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Amused to Death posted:

Is the south terrible in France too?

Also what are they holding, the bible?

The Civil Code (also called Napoleonic Code, it's our code of civil laws).

Basically they're playing the "Don't touch the Constitution!" card, except apparently you can't change laws ever.They do this because being a religious bigot is less accepted in France.

Also hilarious news, Frigide Barjot wants to open talks for a civil union law instead of a marriage (so without adoption), ahahahaha in your dreams fucker.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 17, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm still really confused as to why so many young, normal looking people keep going out to protest gay marriage in France which typically regarded as a progressive, secular country. Even in the US which has way more organized anti-gay politics than pretty much anywhere else in the first world, almost all of the anti-gay marriage protesters are religious old people and the crowds are usually tiny. Can any French goons explain this to me?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This is some poo poo.

quote:

MCKINNEY, [TX] — Page Price and Carolyn Compton have been together for almost three years, but a Collin County judge is forcing them apart.

Judge John Roach Jr., a Republican who presides over the 296th District Court, enforced the “morality clause” in Compton’s divorce papers on Tuesday, May 7. Under the clause, someone who has a “dating or intimate relationship” with the person or is not related “by blood or marriage” is not allowed after 9 p.m. when the children are present. Price was given 30 days to move out of the home because the children live with the couple.
The article say an appeal would likely be successful.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is some poo poo.

Ugh. Ever since I saw the poo poo that went down with ShoeOfAllCosmos's dad getting off the hook, I've had no faith whatsoever in the Texas judiciary being anything but irredeemable shitheels.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

This is some poo poo.

The article isn't really from an objective source. I cannot find coverage of this case that isn't based off the story you linked though (right down to quoting the facebook post). If anyone has PACER access and would be willing to pull it, I would really like to see the ruling. Depending on how and why he wrote it was ruled will probably show how effective an appeal would be.

For anyone who is interested the case number is 296-54663-2010. Apparently this has been ongoing for a while and there's a lot to sift through.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 18, 2013

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The Macaroni posted:

Mother Jones: Mormon Church Abandons Its Crusade Against Gay Marriage
"Abandons" is perhaps a bit strong, and it's far from becoming gay friendly, official Mormon rhetoric has softened immensely and the political involvement seems to be dying down. The bolded portion is important: during Prop 8, Mormons were encouraged from the pulpit to get involved in anti-equality activities, and were directly approached for financial contributions. As time as gone on, that official stance became more and more muted, and now it sounds like they may be discouraging anti-equality support that is openly affiliated with Mormonism. I'm Mormon and was in Maryland this past year, and there was not a peep from any church leaders about the ballot initiative. I wasn't in the area where the opposition mentioned in the article was shut down, but given the swing from open endorsement to virtual silence on the issue, I can believe it.

This is a good thing. Maybe we can get back to our regular pasttimes of helping people, making casseroles and just being passively judgmental of people without actually passing laws to codify it.

That's great. I am 100% okay with any church's official position on the matter being "no position" and refusing to endorse either side. Nobody has to like LGBT folks or their marriages; just mind your own business and don't legislate your religion.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 18, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MaxxBot posted:

I'm still really confused as to why so many young, normal looking people keep going out to protest gay marriage in France which typically regarded as a progressive, secular country. Even in the US which has way more organized anti-gay politics than pretty much anywhere else in the first world, almost all of the anti-gay marriage protesters are religious old people and the crowds are usually tiny. Can any French goons explain this to me?

I think that's because France is a centralized country, which means all of France is concerned by the law so that brings in a lot of people from the conservative parts of the country, that plus there's a lot of youth unemployment so I guess some people have nothing better to do.

Young people in public opinion are overwhelmingly in favor of same sex marriage and adoption, though.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 18, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

From what my friend who was in France for the entire last year where this was an issue says, it's basically like what Kurtofan said. The young people aren't so much anti-marriage equality as they are pro-not having this be debated right now. Unemployment's an issue for them, an issue they want to see solved. Instead, they see the time that could be spent solving it going towards making sure a group of people can marry who they want. It's the same thing as some of the people in this country who don't want marriage equality yet: the argument that there's so many issues they consider more important that why can't marriage equality be held off until those said issues are dealt with?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

From what my friend who was in France for the entire last year where this was an issue says, it's basically like what Kurtofan said. The young people aren't so much anti-marriage equality as they are pro-not having this be debated right now. Unemployment's an issue for them, an issue they want to see solved. Instead, they see the time that could be spent solving it going towards making sure a group of people can marry who they want. It's the same thing as some of the people in this country who don't want marriage equality yet: the argument that there's so many issues they consider more important that why can't marriage equality be held off until those said issues are dealt with?

Oh well, now that it's over and done with let's get on with the economic prioriHUGE ANTI-MARRIAGE PROTEST SCHEDULED FOR 26 MAY

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hollande signed the law today, and marriages start May 29.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Indiana should be fine. They overreached and included civil unions, which immediately handicaps them by 1-2%. With Oregon and others on the ballot in 2014, NOM will once again be spread too thin while the marriage supporters are loaded with cash and volunteers.

I can't wait for Oregon to vote. I voted for Measure 36 back in 2004, and I'm looking forward for a chance to atone. :smith:

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I can't wait for Oregon to vote. I voted for Measure 36 back in 2004, and I'm looking forward for a chance to atone. :smith:

Out of curiosity, what sort of thinking brought you to vote in favor of it at the time?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Most folks I've talked to in CA who voted for Prop 8 said it was more or less a matter of not distinguishing morality from law. All the publicity swirling around an issue they'd not considered much, plus THANKS OBAMA presidential year stuff with a historic candidate got a whole hell of a lot of people to knee-jerk vote on the issue.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Sweeney Tom posted:

The young people aren't so much anti-marriage equality as they are pro-not having this be debated right now. Unemployment's an issue for them, an issue they want to see solved. Instead, they see the time that could be spent solving it going towards making sure a group of people can marry who they want. It's the same thing as some of the people in this country who don't want marriage equality yet: the argument that there's so many issues they consider more important that why can't marriage equality be held off until those said issues are dealt with?

That would make sense if they didn't welcome the same representatives who have been trying to drag the debate as long as they could by filing thousands of pointless amendments. It's because of those people that this law was debated longer in parliament than the ones who abolished the death penalty and made abortion legal. By appealing to the Constitutional Council they pointlessly added another month to the process because there was never the slightest doubt that the law would be cleared.

As far as I can see, the only real reason this vocal minority (because all the noise they make about being a silent majority is just that: noise) is that they are homophobes. What they're against is same-sex marriage itself, not the timing of this law or the way it was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of thinking brought you to vote in favor of it at the time?

Basically I was a dumbass 18-year-old who was obsessed with bullshit semantics and believed that words cannot change meaning ever. Here's a summary I made a few years ago in the Prop 8 thread:

Haschel posted:

The November after I graduated from high school, Oregon passed Measure 36, which defined marriage as a union of one man and one woman. I voted to pass this measure, not due to any homophobia, but on some bullshit principle about the "sanctity of language" that basically boiled down to civil unions = okay, calling it marriage = not okay. On another forum while discussing the election results, I mentioned my thoughts, and even included an analogy that in retrospect implied that the "separate but equal" doctrine was perfectly fine. Everybody else on the forum promptly called out my wonderful worldview as the most retarded thing anybody had mentioned.

After that I went to college, met new people, got new experiences (and learned the difference between prescriptivism and descriptivism). I'm a supporter of gay marriage and I've been following this thread and the court case since the beginning.

Reading that quote makes me feel that I owe the GLBT community an apology. So, I'm sorry, everyone. I was young and stupid. It won't happen again

• Locked thread