Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wa27 posted:

And then there's the hilarious case of the Bioshock 2 special edition, which came with the game, huge hardcover art book, soundtrack CD, posters, and a vinyl version of the Bioshock 1 score. Retailed for $80 or $90. I bought a copy when it hit $30, and another from Best Buy when they sold them for $10. It was dirt cheap for the longest time, but now just the record itself seems to be appreciating in value. It sells for $30 or so.

Was this because they overestimated the demand for it or because it wasn't really "limited" at all and they just kept producing more runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It was because Bioshock 2 was not recieved as well or hyped as much. I think most special editions sell after the game is out and they ride on the hype.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WASDF posted:

It was because Bioshock 2 was not recieved as well or hyped as much. I think most special editions sell after the game is out and they ride on the hype.

That's what I meant by "overestimated demand." I've played the first two games, I know Bioshock 2 was a let-down.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Holy loving poo poo.

Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Hell yes! Can't wait for payday so I can buy that.

Also, just got this today:

Ear Pwr - Super Animal Bros III

Had to buy it because of the music video for the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-J-FbiVq0

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hot drat. Time to order all that Merge stuff I've been holding back on.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Let it be known that I am the Most Dweeb and will surely purchase this dumb fetish item for god knows why and I don't even care

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Did anyone else's vampire weekend album come without the download code? I'm basically just going to have to email the record company but I don't know how successful that will be. On the plus side I also got Songs of the Free by Gang of Four. We're promo albums pressed on thicker vinyl because it's a lit thicker than standard weight vinyl.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

izationalizer posted:

This story always saddens me, because I'm guessing that Death aren't particularly wealthy, and they could have used the cash.
Story isn't over yet, I saw these dudes play less than a month ago and they have a great fill in for the guitarist that passed away and said they are planning to make new music. The show was great, although they didn't have any merch they hung out after the show, signed copies of the local alternative weekly which had the album cover as the front page cover story and chatted with all the local punks. I missed the screening of the documentary although I heard it was great. Good to see people are picking up the album.

Edit: Thought this thread could use some country music.

The Haunted House sounds are NM :toot: and the Grevious Angel LP is a Reprise original and in really great shape but the jacket looks like it was run over by a truck.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 16, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elrobot posted:

Edit: Thought this thread could use some country music.

Then why are you showing us a Neil Young album?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Then why are you showing us a Neil Young album?

You can't do that without an :iceburn:.

Speaking of Neil Young, I'm headed to Toronto in the future. I've heard a lot about what record stores to visit but are there any records that I should specifically look out for, stuff that might be easier to find there than in the US?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Cloks posted:

You can't do that without an :iceburn:.

Speaking of Neil Young, I'm headed to Toronto in the future. I've heard a lot about what record stores to visit but are there any records that I should specifically look out for, stuff that might be easier to find there than in the US?

Rush.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Cloks posted:

I'm headed to Toronto in the future.

I'm actually heading there next week, I don't have much experience with the city but don't miss Kops. Canadian pressings are generally of very good quality but other than that I'd search hard into your favorite Canadian bands or favorite bands you might not know are Canadian. Pick up one LP by the Sadies, they have collaborated on albums with Jon Langford, John Doe and Andre Williams and are basically the modern day version of The Band. Enjoy enjoy our country, it's a pretty beautiful place.

Harvest is one of those great albums that when you don't have on hand you can always just pick up for nothing and this particular one was of good enough condition to make me check it against the one I have in storage. Those are all Canadian pressings.

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 16, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What is the consensus on last year's Beatles stereo box set?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

beergod posted:

What is the consensus on last year's Beatles stereo box set?

I was told to wait until the mono version. Too many bad reviews about poor quality and it being pretty difficult to get a full box set without at least one record having issues.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Elrobot posted:

I'm actually heading there next week, I don't have much experience with the city but don't miss Kops.

Kops looks pretty great and appears to be about a mile from where I'm staying. I'll have to put together a list of Candian music I want so I don't get too overwhelmed.

The only Neil Young record I have is "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" so it'll be nice to fill out that part of my collection. Probably wouldn't be too hard to get more Joni Mitchell either.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Grab your wallets kids because another Boards of Canada promo 12" is "back on the market." That is, someone's had it sitting up for bid of eBay. The Buy-It-Now price is set $5,700 based on "previous offerings," but he has since reconfigured his sale to a more concrete "$5,700 flat, or best offer" model after previous bids had backed down. Wow, I wonder why anyone would bid up to $5k for a record of noise and then back out, its like they don't even want the super special code to see the web video.

I mean, I guess if you were gonna have a collection of Boards of Canada vinyl it'd be cool to have?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 17, 2013

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
I never realised how much money BoC fans seem to have. What the gently caress

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
It's the same guy who auctioned it and it sold for $5700, but (surprise) they didn't pay. And now he's gotten greedy and just gone buy it now.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

david puddy posted:

It's the same guy who auctioned it and it sold for $5700, but (surprise) they didn't pay. And now he's gotten greedy and just gone buy it now.

"People keep saying they will pay thousands, so that must be the price, even if they won't actually pay, right?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe I'd pay 5700 USD if it was a melt-your-eyes-white poo poo-hot stamper.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Aw I missed out on this.

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/us-en/shop/paul-smith-for-david-bowie-the-next-day-red-vinyl-limited-edition.html

Doesn't really matter, but it'd be a nice thing to have.

sadfly
Jan 27, 2011

Whoa. Glad I got that Caretaker reissue right when it came up on Experimedia. I hadn't listened to them before but the album cover always appealed to me and I bought it on a whim one night while doing some stoned shopping. I'm listening to An empty bliss... and I could see why this sold out so fast.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
You can get the Caretaker LPs from Forced Exposure, now.

http://www.forcedexposure.com/bin/search.pl?search_string=History+Always+Favours+The+Winners&searchfield=label

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Looks like it was actually two pressings released at about the same time, one on dark green vinyl and one on black vinyl (mine's black, which is fine with me). One wonders whether any of those $70 "dark green" LPs are on eBay are actually just plain ol', good ol' black.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

What is the best way to move vinyl without destroying the sleeves or warping the records? I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip with my collection, and I want to make sure they are cozy.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

resident posted:

What is the best way to move vinyl without destroying the sleeves or warping the records? I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip with my collection, and I want to make sure they are cozy.

Sturdy, perfectly sized not to big box (12"^3 is about perfect) remove each record from its jacket to avoid ringwear; stuff the boxes snugly, but not overpacked.

I only moved three blocks though, so ymmv (literally)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

resident posted:

EDIT: Actually, yeah, removing the records themselves sounds like a way better idea.

Get a big rear end Igloo cooler, line the edges with a cushiony material, but not too thick so that you can arrange all of your albums vertically in it. You want them as upright and as packed in as possible so if there's any space just fill it in with a woodblock. Then cover them with a folded blanket or comforter and when you drive into any hot temperatures, place a cooling element on them, something thats not too wet like cold pads.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Third Man Records just announced a partnership with Sun Records. They're going to be reissuing a variety of early Sun singles. Right now they have three coming.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/sun-records-reissue-series

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 17, 2013

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
In the past week I've cut/got splinters in my hands/given myself numerous dead legs sitting on dirty old floors & probably lost about 5kg in sweat down in a basement. All in the name of vinyl. It's all so, so worth it.

Kids out there take note. Drugs are pretty fun but nothing will beat crate digging!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

luncheon meat posted:

In the past week I've cut/got splinters in my hands/given myself numerous dead legs sitting on dirty old floors & probably lost about 5kg in sweat down in a basement. All in the name of vinyl. It's all so, so worth it.

Kids out there take note. Drugs are pretty fun but nothing will beat crate digging!

Find anything good?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
A bunch of novelty 7"s and an 8-record Reader's Digest "SOLID GOLD" box in pristine condition were the most fun finds, as well as S/T Cheech & Chong and their Wedding Album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Thrift store finds:

Promotional copy of Yes' Tormato and the Beach Boys' Endless Summer.

The sticker on Tormato is "suggested cuts." Future Times and Rejoice are grouped together as one song and everything else is listed individually. The slipcover is a lyrics sheet and it's beginning to split on all sides. And I'm a Beach Boys fan and scoop up every album in decent shape I can find in the wild. The cover is a bit beat up, but both discs look quite good. On first glance, the artwork is abysmal, but on second glance, it's quite accurate. Everyone was on serious drugs.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
:siren: UK BOWIE FANS :siren:

That limited to 1000 copies on red vinyl edition of The Next Day that sold out is now available from Selfridges:

http://www.selfridges.com/en/Menswear/Categories/NEW-IN/Accessories/The-Next-Day-limited-edition-red-vinyl_115-86057480-RHSRSONYBOWIE/

It doesn't show up in the site's search engine yet, so jump on it.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:siren: UK BOWIE FANS :siren:

That limited to 1000 copies on red vinyl edition of The Next Day that sold out is now available from Selfridges:

http://www.selfridges.com/en/Menswear/Categories/NEW-IN/Accessories/The-Next-Day-limited-edition-red-vinyl_115-86057480-RHSRSONYBOWIE/

It doesn't show up in the site's search engine yet, so jump on it.

It won't let me add it to the basket.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Duckula posted:

It won't let me add it to the basket.

It was working for a couple of hours, but it wasn't supposed to be up officially yet, so they disabled the ability to order.

It'll be up tomorrow, I think. Keep your eye on that page.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Sooo, I'm selling a few records on SA-Mart. One record I came across was The Gorillaz - Demon Days. Did a little bit of research and found that the UK double LP pressing (the one I have) is rather rare. Does anyone know more about this record and if it's as limited as the prices suggest? Amazon's used listings have it going for $290

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Amazon prices are almost always wrong.

Check Popsike and Discogs.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Me in Reverse posted:

Amazon prices are almost always wrong.

Check Popsike and Discogs.

Popsike lists it at $200-$300 USD http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=demon+days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sort by date. Low-mid $100s