Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KoB posted:

This plus being married to the author of Sailor Moon.

Where's my remake anime, Naoko? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Will this ever get turned into an Anime?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

It's already better animated than the average anime series.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kild posted:

Unless they turn it into 'enemies do things for fifteen minutes', I couldn't see this working as an anime. You can have fifteen pages of jokes, three pages of 'fighting', and one page of the 'Onepunch', but you can't really expect a high quality 15 minutes of comedy, 3 minutes of 'fighting', thirty seconds of exploding goop punch.

I could see an OVA series working best.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Astro Fighter Sunred managed to pull it off well enough with 15 minute episodes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ZerodotJander posted:

When you create 2 of the top 20 most popular Shonen Jump titles ever and sell over 100 million tankobon, they give you a lot of leeway.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/26/the-best-of-the-best-of-manga-shonen-jumps-20-best-sellers-of-all-time/
God the jump from #3 to #2 and #2 to #1 is insane.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierson posted:

God the jump from #3 to #2 and #2 to #1 is insane.

One Piece still hasn't beaten Dragonball? :stare: Just how crazy popular was Dragonball in its time?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think the listing for Dragonball includes western sales.

Edit: I took a look around and it's pretty confusing. A lot of sites seem to peg DB/DBZ as around 150 million volumes sold as of 2012, that would mean everywhere minus Japan would need to account for the extra 200 million. I know the cartoon was a juggernaut in the US back in the 90s, did that translate into comic sales as well? I know some series catch on like wildfire in some South American countries too, was DBZ one of them?

Also more on everyone's favourite slacker:

quote:

The story follows the adventures of Yusuke Urameshi, but as the story progresses it falls into Jumps bread and butter of martial arts battle stories. The author’s mood swings are legendary. In the series some drawings seemed to be published in a state of near draft calling some to question his mental stability.
Togashi(TM)

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 8, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Here's a fun game, it's called 'count the dragonball references'. Just go through the manga of your choice, and see how often it pays homage to the super-est of saiyans. Obviously Gintama wins that one, with an average of one saiyan showing up every third chapter, but it is drat hard to find a modern shounen jump manga that doesn't have at least one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, One Piece is the best selling manga of all time in Japan, but it isn't as popular overseas as Dragonball was.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nyaa posted:

While we are in the topic about the industrial deadline, mind giving me a comparison on why Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter × Hunter's fame gets to pick any schedule for a not-online publication?

I heard he's very sick, but how does it works for the publisher's industry deadline when an author is sick? Cause it feels like the publisher will let him off indefinitely until he can do a few chapters and the cycle repeats.

Sorry if there's a Manga Industrial thread somewhere.

The thing is, Togashi wanted to end YYH way earlier than it actually did. Jump forced him to extend the series (because it was selling like hotcakes) when he really, really didn't want to, and the experience got to him so much that he threatened to go to another magazine with his next manga. Jump was so desperate to keep him that they pretty much gave him a blank check for the next thing he did, including license to do whatever he wanted with the manga (no editorial interference).

Also HxH is really loving popular.

e: :woop: Murata just started inking, this chapter is gonna be loving glorious.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 8, 2013

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
They could always make the episodes 5 minutes long and go the Inferno Cop route.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I would be totally fine with a Onepunch-Man anime that had two minute episodes if Murata did all the animation.

Thats what? 24 frames x 60 sec x 2 mins? 2880 panels seems reasonable for him :v:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Kild posted:

The Eyeshield anime was loving abysmal, I would rather not see a Onepunch-man series, just from that. I'm sure it could be done really well, but I still would rather it stay a fuckin awesome manga.

God, Eyeshield made a horribly ugly anime. So bad.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pierson posted:

I think the listing for Dragonball includes western sales.

Edit: I took a look around and it's pretty confusing. A lot of sites seem to peg DB/DBZ as around 150 million volumes sold as of 2012, that would mean everywhere minus Japan would need to account for the extra 200 million. I know the cartoon was a juggernaut in the US back in the 90s, did that translate into comic sales as well? I know some series catch on like wildfire in some South American countries too, was DBZ one of them?

I know Dragonball was huge in continental Europe, I knew someone who learned German so she could buy a bunch of cheap manga and DB/DBZ was definitely one of them. It's also popular in France, Spain and Italy which are big markets when it comes to Manga.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

The Eyeshield anime was loving abysmal, I would rather not see a Onepunch-man series, just from that. I'm sure it could be done really well, but I still would rather it stay a fuckin awesome manga.

God, Eyeshield made a horribly ugly anime. So bad.

Blattdorf posted:

They could always make the episodes 5 minutes long and go the Inferno Cop route.

Blattdorf's right, this is the solution. Each chapter could well translate into five minutes of awesome footage, and in some cases you could literally just show a flip-book of the actual manga and call it a day. Also the intro should take its self way too seriously.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Update on the situation: Bad news, Murata's not gonna make the deadline.

He's got about 60 pages inked, and from what I've peeked at on his stream the chapter's gonna be great (covering about 4 chapters of the original), but it's not gonna be ready by tomorrow. I'd estimate another week, give or take a few days.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

I know Dragonball was huge in continental Europe, I knew someone who learned German so she could buy a bunch of cheap manga and DB/DBZ was definitely one of them. It's also popular in France, Spain and Italy which are big markets when it comes to Manga.

It was a huge thing here in Latin America as well. Seriously, DB WAS the face of Anime during the 90s, and probably still is for a lot of people.

Case in point:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

AnonSpore posted:

Update on the situation: Bad news, Murata's not gonna make the deadline.

He's got about 60 pages inked, and from what I've peeked at on his stream the chapter's gonna be great (covering about 4 chapters of the original), but it's not gonna be ready by tomorrow. I'd estimate another week, give or take a few days.

This is perfectly fair and I don't think anyone is going to begrudge the man failing to complete a hundred-page chapter in two weeks.

The fact that he can maybe manage it in three is still utterly ridiculous.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I have to say I don't find this series to be all that funny. Occasionally I chuckle at a gag or one of the faces that get pulled, but it's not something I'd read if it were just a gag manga. But after reading through the series in a day I'm going to be closely following it from now on. It's all balanced out and more by the art. And I'm not the type of person who ever, ever notices the art pretty much everything. Characters, plots, humor and dialog generally always dictate what series I follow. Occasionally I'll appreciate the art, but I tend to just tune it out. I only started reading the series because a friend was ranting about a hundred page chapter coming up and that kind of dedication in a mangaka piqued my interest.

From the fight between Saitama and Genos onward I knew I was completely hooked, purely on the art alone. Now I'm just sad because I'd pay any price for a large hardbound print copy of all the internet pages in English and that will never happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

It was a huge thing here in Latin America as well. Seriously, DB WAS the face of Anime during the 90s, and probably still is for a lot of people.

Case in point:

Oh god, I actually remember that place :cripes:

Concerning Onepunch-Man, HOLY poo poo. Whatever has been said about the art is not enough to give it the proper praise. How on earth does Murata do this? Is he some sort of Mangaka-Highlander hybrid or something? Because every time I read a new chapter, it feels like I'm going to see a particularly good movie (or short film, I guess) and it just... sucks you in. That's just taking the art into account.

The story's a whole other beast entirely.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
For those interested he's uploaded what he has done so far and will presumably just update the chapter as pages get done.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/30/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Popo posted:

For those interested he's uploaded what he has done so far and will presumably just update the chapter as pages get done.

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/30/

I only wanted to look at a couple of pages...but now I can't stop.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jesus Christ, the two pages where the Deep Sea King and Prisoner exchange punches was amazing. The sense of motion and weight in Prisoner's return punch, god drat.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It took me longer than I'd like to admit to remember the left to right vs. right to left distinction for page flipping when going from Western media to Eastern media.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Its not done don't click

don't click

don't

gently caress.

:f5:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
drat, looks like this chapter is pointing out that Speed of Sound Sonic isn't a chump, since he's doing the best against Deep Sea King. Makes Saitama look even stronger by comparison.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

drat, looks like this chapter is pointing out that Speed of Sound Sonic isn't a chump, since he's doing the best against Deep Sea King. Makes Saitama look even stronger by comparison.

To be fair using Saitama, of all people, as a method to rate if someone is a chump or not seems a little unfair to them.

Also! New chapter is up and translated.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PringleCreamEgg posted:

drat, looks like this chapter is pointing out that Speed of Sound Sonic Sonic Baby isn't a chump, since he's doing the best against Deep Sea King. Makes Saitama look even stronger by comparison.

Fixed for you. Huff Puff Prisoner is amazing. :swoon:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Murata, you freaking genius is all I can say for this chapter.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I can't get over how well he draws movements. Sonic is always drawn so well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone draw a character where you can envision how fast they are moving constantly. The after images are awesome.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Link for your convenience - http://www.batoto.net/read/_/170813/onepunch-man_ch24_by_boon-scanlation

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Um excuse me I believe I was promised a hundred pages???

Chapter ruined.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Huff Puff Prisoner is going to be okay, right? Right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I can't wait for Saitama to get here and make everybody else involved look like total losers. :allears:

Estel
May 4, 2010
Everyone should check the original, it's amazing the difference in quality and at the same time how Murata uses it as a base for what he draws.

EDIT: It seems the spoiler tags don't work with the timg tags, spoilers from last episode.

http://i.imgur.com/oDFpxzG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OTrIN0L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TlrRKYy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aVMfLz8.jpg

ONE is awful drawing but at the same time he has a really good sense about how to draw the scenes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What is this poo poo, the hands they used to punch have been switched, ruined forever. :colbert:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Zereth posted:

I can't wait for Saitama to get here and make everybody else involved look like total losers. :allears:

Excuse me some class C nobody wont be able to do anything about this threat and even if he did, it was probably because the Class A and S fighters weakened the monster first :colbert:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
After seeing pages 27 and 28 I though I was in for a They Live fight sequence

obligatory holy poo poo Murata :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Huff Puff? That's an odd way of translating it.

I love the fact that the guy in the dog suit is 5 ranks higher than this guy.