Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

According to this guy, SMS support is coming soon.

That guy is the Google+ Community Manager. Basically, he's confirming that Google Voice will integrate into Hangouts later like The Verge already did.

It still won't be the unified messenger for most people, even then. They want Messaging itself to be gone as well. However, to do that, Google would have to allow you to switch between your Google Voice number OR your default number if you want to text someone.

However, it does make sense that there are no status indicators if it'll eventually support SMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Search for a song in Music if you signed up for whatever their unlimited music thingy is called.

The song results each have the three vertical dots indicating a menu... except they just start playing the song just like pressing anywhere else on the song does. So, to queue a song, add a song to a play list, or whatever else you'd do to a single song you have to start it playing, and then use the menu on the now playing screen.

The menu button works fine for me. I just tried it a few places, like from the main search screen and from the screen you see if you click "__ more" and had no problem. I will say that the touch area could be a little larger though, because I have accidentally started a song when I wanted to hit the menu key (and I have baby hands).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

That guy is the Google+ Community Manager. Basically, he's confirming that Google Voice will integrate into Hangouts later like The Verge already did.

It still won't be the unified messenger for most people, even then. They want Messaging itself to be gone as well. However, to do that, Google would have to allow you to switch between your Google Voice number OR your default number if you want to text someone.

However, it does make sense that there are no status indicators if it'll eventually support SMS.

Right now in your Google accounts homepage, there's an option to send Hangout messages to SMS but or appears to be only available if you don't live in a first world country.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XIII posted:

The menu button works fine for me. I just tried it a few places, like from the main search screen and from the screen you see if you click "__ more" and had no problem. I will say that the touch area could be a little larger though, because I have accidentally started a song when I wanted to hit the menu key (and I have baby hands).

I just tried it some more, and you're right it does work. Though, I'd say it needs to be more than a "little larger". Even now, knowing right where to touch, I still can't hit it consistently without starting the song.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Right now in your Google accounts homepage, there's an option to send Hangout messages to SMS but or appears to be only available if you don't live in a first world country.

There have been reports that it works even if you leave it on say Guam or something, just the number has to be right.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Surely it can't be that difficult to have status indicators for IM-type contacts and not for phone numbers.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I'm seeing a green bar below the contact photos (and at the top of the messaging window) seemingly indicating online status on the Chrome version of Hangouts now.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sobriquet posted:

I'm seeing a green bar below the contact photos (and at the top of the messaging window) seemingly indicating online status on the Chrome version of Hangouts now.

so maybe the problem this whole time wasn't that there aren't status indicators but that no one uses Hangouts?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

double post. I'm an idiot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bah, I just noticed that my most-used way of sending people IM's doesn't work. I'd usually open up the person's contact info and click the IM option. Unfortunately, it's no longer there.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

dik-dik posted:

so maybe the problem this whole time wasn't that there aren't status indicators but that no one uses Hangouts?
My friends all have iPhones and not a single one of them will ever give up on IM+ Pro or whatever it's called. If you need to actually use the Hangouts client in order to see my online status, I'm going to wake up to 20 "u there????" messages in 4 different languages every day for the rest of my life, and as a bonus, I won't be able to see when/if my friends are there. Sigh.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
It is a little nicer to start a video hangout now over the phone with the new app. Trying to explain to my dad how to navigate the multiple chat clients before was a nightmare, so I am glad it is all together so we can start a video chat faster.

The new updates are nice across the board, even if they are a little buggy.

Someone questioned about silencing notifications on the chrome extension, and you can do that on each individual conversation, not from the main hangout contact list menu. I am not sure why they would separate it like this...Id like them to decouple the notifications from the sound as well so we could have one and not the other. I hate the sound notifications, but it would be nice to have a flashing notifier on my desktop at times.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

If Google and apple can get iMessage and hangouts to work together. That'd be a wet dream. But it'll never happen. I still don't get why hangouts doesn't have sms support, how hard can that be to to implement.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sobriquet posted:

I think they're actually starting to update Hangouts real-time as I/O goes on.

dik-dik posted:

I don't think that's it since I'm the only person on my list that is using Hangout right now. Everyone else is still on Talk somehow.

deadbian posted:

If Google and apple can get iMessage and hangouts to work together. That'd be a wet dream. But it'll never happen. I still don't get why hangouts doesn't have sms support, how hard can that be to to implement.

It'll be there soon as they merge Voice into it. I'd say probably around Summer 2013 near Maps.

EDIT: Looks like AT&T is blocking video calls on Google Hangouts on mobile now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/16/att-blocking-video-calls-through-google-hangouts-over-mobile-data/

I know they did this with Facetime, did they ever fix that or say why it happened?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 16, 2013

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Anyone noticed that the Facebook app put a permanent 'F' icon in the notification area and a "toolbar" in the notification-dropdown as result of the May 15 app update? There was also a new menu entry to switch this on/off.

The icon and the menu setting disappeared again today. And there was no new Facebook app update as far as I could see...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

polynominal-c posted:

Anyone noticed that the Facebook app put a permanent 'F' icon in the notification area and a "toolbar" in the notification-dropdown as result of the May 15 app update? There was also a new menu entry to switch this on/off.

The icon and the menu setting disappeared again today. And there was no new Facebook app update as far as I could see...

There's an option to turn it off which I make use of. It mysteriously re-appeared on my notification bar a couple of days later.....

I think facebook can apply updates that don't go through Play Store though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

There's an option to turn it off which I make use of. It mysteriously re-appeared on my notification bar a couple of days later.....

I think facebook can apply updates that don't go through Play Store though.

They can but Google made it against Play Store guidelines right after they did it.

I guess Zuckerberg doesn't give a poo poo though. :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think they're actually starting to update Hangouts real-time as I/O goes on.

I don't think that's it since I'm the only person on my list that is using Hangout right now. Everyone else is still on Talk somehow.

It'll be there soon as they merge Voice into it. I'd say probably around Summer 2013 near Maps.

EDIT: Looks like AT&T is blocking video calls on Google Hangouts on mobile now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/16/att-blocking-video-calls-through-google-hangouts-over-mobile-data/

I know they did this with Facetime, did they ever fix that or say why it happened?

They did the same thing for Talk video chatting as well. They do it because they're dicks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Do Hangouts no longer get archived in Gmail? If I no longer have a way to search through old chats, that'll really suck.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

They did the same thing for Talk video chatting as well. They do it because they're dicks.

Didn't they (eventually) enable Facetime over data as long as you're on one of their non-unlimited plans? I wonder if this will be the same.

It annoys me because I'm unlimited but it's in no way "unlimited" since they throttle after a certain amount (3GB?). So besides no overages what's the functional difference between my plan and a capped one? I was throttled once and speeds were unusable, they basically shut off my data. Though that was right after the policy was implemented, so maybe they've relaxed it a little? I don't come near the cap anymore, they've won :smith:

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Sorry if this should be in the show off your desktops thread, but I'm looking at a way to change how my keyboard autocorrect works. I really liked the way my iPhone handled it (hitting space would just select the word it thinks you're most trying to spell) and my typing is sloppy because of it, but it worked really well for me on the iPhone, to the point where I could text without looking basically. Is there a keyboard app or something else I can change to get autocorrect to work this way?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

booshi posted:

Sorry if this should be in the show off your desktops thread, but I'm looking at a way to change how my keyboard autocorrect works. I really liked the way my iPhone handled it (hitting space would just select the word it thinks you're most trying to spell) and my typing is sloppy because of it, but it worked really well for me on the iPhone, to the point where I could text without looking basically. Is there a keyboard app or something else I can change to get autocorrect to work this way?

That's how SwiftKey works, it will change your word to the suggestion when you hit space. Or you can tap one of the other two suggestions/keep typing if they aren't right. Not sure how other keyboards work, SwiftKey is basically the only one I've used. I think it's on sale right now

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

myron cope posted:

That's how SwiftKey works, it will change your word to the suggestion when you hit space. Or you can tap one of the other two suggestions/keep typing if they aren't right. Not sure how other keyboards work, SwiftKey is basically the only one I've used. I think it's on sale right now

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'm just using the stock keyboard that came with my S4 right now.

booshi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 16, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flaggy posted:

So is there really a point to switch to Google Music from Spotify? Other than price point? 7.99 a month on Google or 9.99 a month on Spotify, can Google Music do everything spotify can? Can you find the same music on both?

I switched literally as soon as the page went live (I just finished transferring over by library of 8,500 Starred tracks this morning). I have a bunch on albums that'll likely never be on Spotify (The Beatles, mashup collections, unofficial videogame soundtracks) and there was no good way to play them in the Spotify mobile app (I ended up making a giant Beatles playlist with all their albums that I would scroll through everytime I wanted to listen to the White Album, and I never could figure out how to get locally synced files to shuffle with my starred music). Google Music fixes all that--when you go to an artist's page, the albums you've synced appear alongside the streaming albums you've added to your library (and songs from synced albums appear in the songs list).

Their selection is almost as good as Spotify; interestingly enough, the two major omissions I found (Modest Mouse's "We Were Dead..." and Manchester Orchestra's "Mean Everything To Nothing") were ones that I had physical copies of anyway, so it was a simple matter of ripping the CDs to iTunes and then using Music Manager to upload them. There's a Bright Eyes/Brit Daniels EP that Google Play All Access lacks, but I can't remember the last time I listened to it anyway.

I'm wicked happy with the service; while it won't be a replacement for Slacker's properly curated stations, GPAA's Radio feature blows Spotify's out of the water. Last night I started up a station based around a Say Anything B-side and it played music from bands in my library (Taking Back Sunday, Brand New) and ones that weren't, but made sense (The Format, Bayside). I then queued up a station based around "Want You Gone" from the Portal 2 soundtrack (which I uploaded myself) and it created a station of songs from other videogame soundtracks (Super Meat Boy) and artists who had written stuff for videogame soundtracks (Anamanguci). I was gobsmaked--that's a pretty drat smart algorithm they've got there.

The only bug/issue I've seen with the new Play Music app so far is that if you leave the app without anything playing it won't appear in the recent apps menu. Other than that, though, I am super impressed so far.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 16, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

That guy is the Google+ Community Manager.
That guy isn't even a guy. Her name is Dori.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

It is a little nicer to start a video hangout now over the phone with the new app. Trying to explain to my dad how to navigate the multiple chat clients before was a nightmare, so I am glad it is all together so we can start a video chat faster.

The new updates are nice across the board, even if they are a little buggy.

Someone questioned about silencing notifications on the chrome extension, and you can do that on each individual conversation, not from the main hangout contact list menu. I am not sure why they would separate it like this...Id like them to decouple the notifications from the sound as well so we could have one and not the other. I hate the sound notifications, but it would be nice to have a flashing notifier on my desktop at times.
Does doing that still silence notifications on the phone? Because it did for me. Checking that box instantly made an orange bar appear in the Hangout on the phone saying "Notifications are disabled for this Hangout. Turn back on?" at the top.

Sobriquet posted:

Barely visible but at least it's there.

By the way, the "native" version of the new Hangouts are in Google+. No way to mute notifications still and even worse now the Talk windows BLOOP! on every message.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do Hangouts no longer get archived in Gmail? If I no longer have a way to search through old chats, that'll really suck.
They appear in GMail just fine, you'll even notice the icon has changed to the Hangouts one.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

booshi posted:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'm just using the stock keyboard that came with my S4 right now.

So it does do what I asked for, but if there is another keyboard that works that way that also has a number row, as well as auto periods after a double space, that's perfect. (Unless I missed those options in SwiftKey/they are only for the paid version, which I have no problem getting, I just want to make sure it's what I want).

e: Found the double space for periods toggle, and I can live without the fifth row and just holding down the other keys to access numbers quickly. Thanks for pointing out SwiftKey. I love it!

booshi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 16, 2013

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Thermopyle posted:

Bah, I just noticed that my most-used way of sending people IM's doesn't work. I'd usually open up the person's contact info and click the IM option. Unfortunately, it's no longer there.

Yup, this is my biggest complaint right now. I usually initiate calls/texts from the contact card, and there's no Talk/Hangouts option. Thanks Google!

Also, what the gently caress were they thinking with the new Now Playing screen on music? The super duper floating giant album art looks like poo poo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

booshi posted:

Thanks for pointing out SwiftKey. I love it!
Wait til it starts literally writing your texts for you. It's so great.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

the kawaiiest posted:

It needs cloud backup of your dictionary to be perfect though.
Helium can back it up easily enough but SwiftKey can probably make use of the new Google Data Service?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah I turned on the learning from email and texting. Good idea? I text like a normal person, without dumb shorthand for the most part, so I think it will help.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

It needs cloud backup of your dictionary to be perfect though.
Helium can back it up easily enough but SwiftKey can probably make use of the new Google Data Service?

Unironically waiting for a future where all this can move around and integrate with Chrome extensions or your OS or something; imagine being able to just vaguely bash your keyboard and have everything correct itself automatically.

Free us from the tyranny of the red underline, Google! :f5h::f5h::f5h:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The reminder-by-location function of Google Now is pretty frickin' great. "Google, remind me to do X when I'm at Y." Works great!

MetalFish
Nov 28, 2005

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Thermopyle posted:

The reminder-by-location function of Google Now is pretty frickin' great. "Google, remind me to do X when I'm at Y." Works great!

Is there any chance that Woofi will be updated to use the new fencing stuff?
Not sure if it will help but it seems like an win/win thing?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MetalFish posted:

Is there any chance that Woofi will be updated to use the new fencing stuff?
Not sure if it will help but it seems like an win/win thing?

Probably not. Woofi isn't really needed anymore. Just leave WiFi on all the time.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Are you talking that reminder or typing it?

i tried talking into it but it always cuts me of at "remind me to" :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

Are you talking that reminder or typing it?

i tried talking into it but it always cuts me of at "remind me to" :(

Talking out loud.

It feels like they've improved the ability to recognize your voice in noisy environments, but I couldn't swear that.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it worked when I spoke more slowly

although I am kinda curious why the film/movie cards aren't displaying anything 'cause I do a lot of searches for tv shows etc :(

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 16, 2013

MetalFish
Nov 28, 2005

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Thermopyle posted:

Probably not. Woofi isn't really needed anymore. Just leave WiFi on all the time.

Ah, ok. I assume android is better at sleeping for wireless now then?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

booshi posted:

Yeah I turned on the learning from email and texting. Good idea? I text like a normal person, without dumb shorthand for the most part, so I think it will help.

It's a very good idea. I have it learning from texts, email and Twitter and it can predict a lot of stuff extremely well. Sometimes I don't have to type at all, just hit space, because it knows what I'm going to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

New Music app is pretty rad so far. I only wish I could use more then one artist etc. to start a radio station.

• Locked thread