Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cartoon Violence posted:

Any summaries / exact timestamps for those of us who just can't bring ourselves to watch Spoony's stuff anymore?

Complaining about game mechanics. Because they're not realistic. For over 25 minutes.

The video in question is about 35.

So, yeah, he spends the vast majority of the video whining about pointless poo poo. Surprise, surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Part 4 of Spoony's Final Fantasy XIII Review. He decides not to finish the game.

That five-minute skit in the middle sure was, uh, something :stare:

...and right back down to terrible. I'd swear that he's ad-libbing these videos anymore

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man I remember when Spoony was the funniest reviewer ever and I was excited every time he did a video.

Did he change more, or did I?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He developed a terrible habit of overreacting to dumb stuff he doesn't like then dwells on it for far too long. He did this a couple times during his Final Fantasy 8 stuff but he was more self-aware back then and knew when to move on. He really needs to do another LP series like SWAT or a game he likes. Those are always entertaining (except a few times in Ripper where he loops footage to draw a dumb joke out). It also doesn't help that he seems to have terrible health as he had a week long debilitating migraine and apparently editing this video was like pulling teeth for him.

I just don't think he enjoys doing this stuff any more. Watching the Nostalgia Critic or, say, Anime Abandon you can tell Doug and Sage enjoy what they're doing. Spoony just seems like he's doing this because his livelihood depends on it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 16, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like he's trying to force himself into doing these more recent reviews, rather than do stuff he enjoys more. I mean just go back and watch one of his videos from 2008 and compare it to this one. It's night and day. More recent things like his Rebruary reviews are more enjoyable to watch because he clearly loves those films, with a few exceptions.

I also have no idea when/if he ever sleeps based on the fact that he seems to never stop tweeting.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Maremidon posted:

Man I remember when Spoony was the funniest reviewer ever and I was excited every time he did a video.

Did he change more, or did I?

He changed, he changed a hell of a lot to the point that in his part 1 Final Fantasy XIII he outright starts talking like Plinkett/Half in the Bag as he seems to have lost his own voice entirely. Had a bit of hope at the start of it that he was getting back to the way he use to talk about things, but that was dashed within the span of five minutes when he started going off the wall.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
At least we still have Phantasmagoria 2, right :unsmith:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

You know what I miss? Giant Dizzy Gillespie.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

achillesforever6 posted:

At least we still have Phantasmagoria 2, right :unsmith:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I consider that his last truly great material.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked the Highlander 2 review. That came out after P 2, didn't it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best of the Worst: The Vindicator, Cyber Tracker, Robot Jox, and R.O.T.O.R.

"As I said, the ending is like the blues mobile. It gets to the daily plaza and it just falls apart."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benne posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I consider that his last truly great material.
Nah I think there were still some SWAT videos after that and I for one loved the Terror Trax and Ripper LPs

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Welp, thanks to YouTube's Content ID matching, Nintendo is getting advertising revenue off LP videos and the video creator gets none. Wonder if it affects non-LP videos too. :v:

(Even Machinima is affected :laffo:)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonna be a lot less amateur Nintendo LPs on YouTube now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, Nintendo implemented a no-LP policy? Is the YouTube ID snafu related to that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How does that work anyways? Lets use an example, say pewdiepie uploads nothing but Nintendo videos, does that mean Nintendo would be getting the 100 thousand to 1 million bucks per year that pewdiepie pulls in?

Gonna go buy some Nintendo stock, its going to fly up with the youtube money rolling in.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Leal posted:

How does that work anyways? Lets use an example, say pewdiepie uploads nothing but Nintendo videos, does that mean Nintendo would be getting the 100 thousand to 1 million bucks per year that pewdiepie pulls in?

Gonna go buy some Nintendo stock, its going to fly up with the youtube money rolling in.

Yup. The uploader can't disable the ads either and have to choose between having them on or a DMCA takedown request.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Does that extend to the games on Nintendo hardware or just the first party stuff?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

prahanormal posted:

Does that extend to the games on Nintendo hardware or just the first party stuff?

Just first party stuff, the stuff that's Nintendo's IP.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
This just seems like a bad idea. As silly as it is, those people relying on ad revenue for their videos are probably going to be far less likely to even bother playing Nintendo games now since they won't see any money from it.

At least this means Game Grumps won't replay Mario Party 4 or 8 again.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Spoony always nitpicked. Nitpicking is fine in an internet reviewer, so long as they make it interesting or funny, something Spoony did in the past, and no longer does. Everyone knows that FFXIII has a lot of problems, and everyone watching a Spoony review of it was expecting Spoony to give it a thorough and more importantly funny tongue lashing. He failed to deliver on both counts by A) Not finishing it and B) Not even trying to be funny.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jesto posted:

Wait, he seriously quit?

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but generally he sticks a 'Stay Tuned for Part #' thing at the end, and I didn't notice one.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My final video on Animorphs video games, this time breaking down fan speculations of what a modern Animorphs video game would look like.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fool_of_sound posted:

Spoony always nitpicked. Nitpicking is fine in an internet reviewer, so long as they make it interesting or funny, something Spoony did in the past, and no longer does. Everyone knows that FFXIII has a lot of problems, and everyone watching a Spoony review of it was expecting Spoony to give it a thorough and more importantly funny tongue lashing. He failed to deliver on both counts by A) Not finishing it and B) Not even trying to be funny.

Spoony was spot on with FF8; the only thing I disagreed with was that he said FFX was worse (FF8 is probably my least favorite game ever). When he's on point like he was in that review, he's loving awesome.

FF13, I dunno. It's not even a game that has the blatant badness of FF8 or FFX. It's like he was just going through the motions and reviewing it because people wanted him to, but the game does not have the insane stupidity that made his FFX and FF8 reviews funny; he had no good material to work with. It's just a bland, boring game and it gave us a bland, boring video series.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Welshy just announced he's leaving TGWTG and the internet in general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kinda odd that he's totally shutting everything down.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

He never finished that Saw retrospective did he?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rob gives his thoughts
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=469048689832572&id=119355004801944
:3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

He announced on Nash's program a few weeks back that he had a ton of things coming. Whatever happened was sudden.

Best of luck to him.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Hope he's okay. I remember in one of his "comeback" videos that he'd already taken an unannounced hiatus due to depression.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

He released a quick vlog about it
http://blip.tv/welshy/quick-vlog-going-into-detail-on-my-tumblr-post-6588984

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Which sucks because, even as a non Saw fan, it was good. I hope he's okay.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Which sucks because, even as a non Saw fan, it was good. I hope he's okay.

His goodbye video makes it sound like his heart just isn't in doing videos anymore. Good luck to him in whatever he does.

EDIT: \/ He convinced me to whitelist TGWTG (I did already have blip whitelisted.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 18, 2013

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

His goodbye video makes it sound like his heart just isn't in doing videos anymore. Good luck to him in whatever he does.

Not surprising, his update schedule was really slow.

So Linkara has some comments on the whole blip issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67ZZUSpeS4k

He's getting a ton of flack for it but he seems to be reasonable enough about it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
How do you whitelist just only blip? I read something about subscribing to EasyList.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ryuga Death posted:

How do you whitelist just only blip? I read something about subscribing to EasyList.

Firefox or Chrome?

It's easy on Firefox:
Go to blip or tgwtg and open a review, click on the adblock logo in the corner and select "open blockable items." from there it's easy to set up a filter that applies only to the blip.tv domain. Alternatively, you can select "disable adblock on this domain" to have it universally allow ads on that site.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Jesto posted:

I'd swear that people who bitch about Spoony complaining about 'pointless stuff' were never fans of his videos to begin with.

If you've ever wanted critique of a game's major failures, there's a thousand and one game reviewers who will point them out. If you wanted to see a game get 'death by a thousand papercuts', you go to Spoony. He'll highlight every little failure of the game and show that even it's foundation is just poo poo.

Its not that he never nitpicked pointless stuff in earlier videos, it is that he didn't solely rely on them as has been now. To compare the current Final Fantasy to The Thing he spends most of the 20 minutes of that single video bitching about the terrible stuff with the game mechanics: the constant bsing with fuseboxes, loosing all of your poo poo part way through the game, the blood tests being pointless as someone will just turn anyways once they hit a checkpoint. There was little complaining about pointless stuff compared to non-pointless stuff.

It's that the ratio has flipped and that he seems to forcing himself to do anything new anymore which is making people walk away. It also doesn't help that he will be a colossal rear end outside of his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Not surprising, his update schedule was really slow.

So Linkara has some comments on the whole blip issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=67ZZUSpeS4k

He's getting a ton of flack for it but he seems to be reasonable enough about it.

Why am I not surprised 4chan is involved with the deluge of stupid comments? I'd imagine the usual anti-TGWTG crowd will get in if they haven't already. Asking people to disable their adblock is a world apart from e-begging in my mind.

• Locked thread