Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Holy crap.

...at least you've got a while to fix them before you have to worry too much about it, I guess?

(p.s. get a shed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Shimrod posted:

Holy crap.

...at least you've got a while to fix them before you have to worry too much about it, I guess?

(p.s. get a shed)

I live on a boat.

I will have off-site covered storage for at least the R1 and my Honda CB650 soon, but the KTM needs to live in the car park for now. Going to speak to the Marina manager and see if the bike parking can't be made more sheltered.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

I live on a boat.

I will have off-site covered storage for at least the R1 and my Honda CB650 soon, but the KTM needs to live in the car park for now. Going to speak to the Marina manager and see if the bike parking can't be made more sheltered.

You live on a boat with a 690 and an R1 on an island with a 35mph speed limit. Holy gently caress dude.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You live on a boat with a 690 and an R1 on an island with a 35mph speed limit. Holy gently caress dude.

I would go absolutely mental within hours.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't think I could enjoy an R1 with those kinds of restrictions. I'd also get arrested nearly immediately on the sumo if things were that closed in and watched over.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I would go absolutely mental within hours.

Maybe he already did?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Just out of curiousity, can you fit a bike on your boat, choof off onto the "mainland" for a bit then come back to your marina?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is only one type of appropriate response to this style of living. uproarious applause.

The good kind of madness.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For the right kind of bike the island is actually pretty nice to ride, even with the 35mph limit. A big supermoto like the KTM690 or DRZ is about as big as you can go and still have fun. The roads are all extremely narrow and winding, with more blind corners than not. This means that a light, flickable bike that can turn on a sixpence, like a scooter or supermoto is the absolute fastest way to get around.

Linedance posted:

Maybe he already did?

I have been described, on more than one occasion, as "eccentric"...

JP Money posted:

I don't think I could enjoy an R1 with those kinds of restrictions.

You can't, it's just uncomfortable and terrifying and I can do nearly double the speed limit in first gear.

quote:

I'd also get arrested nearly immediately on the sumo if things were that closed in and watched over.

The police are usually pretty bad at catching people speeding to be honest, this is my first ever ticket in nearly 25K miles and 4.5 years.

Shimrod posted:

Just out of curiousity, can you fit a bike on your boat, choof off onto the "mainland" for a bit then come back to your marina?

Not easily, it's a 29ft sailing yacht. I could probably get a slightly smaller/lighter sumo/dirtbike on board if I stripped it down a little, but there wouldn't be room on deck if I wanted to sail too. I want to build an Excelsior Welbike with a stainless frame to keep in a locker though. Would be awesome to ride around Normandy on. I know some dutch enthusiasts who have built reproductions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Not easily, it's a 29ft sailing yacht. I could probably get a slightly smaller/lighter sumo/dirtbike on board if I stripped it down a little, but there wouldn't be room on deck if I wanted to sail too. I want to build an Excelsior Welbike with a stainless frame to keep in a locker though. Would be awesome to ride around Normandy on. I know some dutch enthusiasts who have built reproductions.

get a zodiac/inflatable dinghy and chuck the bike in that, tow it behind the boat. Salt water spray might be a problem. Also, getting it out of the dinghy might be a problem too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Linedance posted:

get a zodiac/inflatable dinghy and chuck the bike in that, tow it behind the boat. Salt water spray might be a problem. Also, getting it out of the dinghy might be a problem too.

Beach the dinghy, deflate the sides, ride off.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Solution:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

M42 posted:

Solution:

I prefer swans myself.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I originally posted this in the Gear thread about mixing the current Explorer Edition of Glass with motorcycles:

For those curious, Engadget Editor Tim Stevens takes Google Glass for a two wheeled spin on a Ducati 848 Streetfighter. The verdict? The current version of Glass doesn't fit under a properly sized helmet.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/28/living-with-glass-day-four/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC32fE5gYBI

Hopefully either it slims down for the retail version, or it's around $200 so I don't feel so bad hacking one up to install in a helmet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The thumbnail on that video is enough to make my heart ping with loss over the sale of my StreetFighter. Sigh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

The thumbnail on that video is enough to make my heart ping with loss over the sale of my StreetFighter. Sigh.

I will admit, the wife's 999 is pretty much the little brother to your old SF. Still cooks your poo poo with the underseat exhaust, but also much more comfortable with the better bar kit on it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Further to my speeding ticket woes a couple of days ago, the wind blew up to storm force suddenly in the small hours of yesterday morning:

The KTM and the R1 are both mine, the only reason the blue scooter isn't tipped is because my R1 is pinning it down. The KTM got some new scuffs, which I don't give a poo poo about, but the R1 was in really good condition and broke at least 2 fairing panels, badly dented the tank on both sides and also snapped off the front brake reservoir and a mirror.

Waiting on quotes/insurance.

That suuuucks. We get some pretty gnarly winds here, had my XLR250 knocked over a few months back (no permanent damage that I noticed, then again it's hardly a garage queen). I now wedge it against the cement bannister of some stairs, so it's got either the kickstand or the cement wall to catch it. So far, so good.

Also I'm thinking about doing the motorbike/live on a sailboat thing when I move to Australia for grad school, depending. :whatup:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

I want this for my bike:

They only make it for the Husky TE630, and it won't fit the 610. They make racks that fit the 610, but they won't support Pelican case luggage.

I wonder if I could get somebody to fabricate something for me. Does anybody know anybody in the Atlanta area?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Maybe ask that guy from AI that welds underwater. I hear he could use some money :)

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Hard cases blow on dual sports. Get yourself a Giant Loop Great Basin bag: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/great-basin-saddlebag-1

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Great basin rocks, I've got a lot of miles on mine and I appreciate that when I'm on the road and it has a bunch of stuff strapped to the top of it I can take the whole heap off and throw it over my shoulder to carry it to the campsite or hotel easily. Don't get a light colored one if you don't want it to look dirty after the first ride, mine is yellow and it's taken a lot of blacking from my leathers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Hard cases blow on dual sports. Get yourself a Giant Loop Great Basin bag: http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/great-basin-saddlebag-1

Great Basin bags are neat, but this is going to be my commuter / grocery getter bike for a while, and I appreciate the utility of having a hard, locking case..

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I feel like Pelican cases are overkill for the vast majority of people who put them on their bikes. Sure, they're waterproof/rugged, but they're not terribly space efficient in terms of holding things, plus expensive.

I've got what's IIRC an OEM Silverwing topcase on the back of my XLR250 that I'm very happy with (to give an idea of volume, can fit two full face helmets in it). It's hard, locks shut, and can also be pulled off the rack and carried like a suitcase. For more carrying capacity, I've got a pair of waterproof Ortlieb saddlebags. They don't lock and I don't really need them to (:japan:), but if I were going to be leaving it unattended in a risky area I'd probably buy a pair of those metal nets you can put around your backpack at a youth hostel for each side, and pack anything smaller than the holes in the net in the topcase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bolt one of these bad boys to your rack. They even lock!

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091427&CatName=Storage&Redirect=5

I did this for my RV90 trip to Chicago and it actually worked out well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've had hard and soft cases. BMW OEM - one broke and I lost it out in the country. $50 chinese craigslist special - worked fine on my cruiser. A generic set of soft bags for everything else. It was nice being able to carry things, but I'm using a bungee net and a backpack now when I need to carry things, works fine. I'm kind of thinking about fabricating some using tarp and the Ebay mounting racks I can get for $80 for my Vstrom, but they might be kind of loud. I've seen several posts on ADV reminding everyone that hard cases can break your legs on a dual sport. Has that ever happened?

And this is what my old tire looked like. I think I ran over the bottom of a beer bottle. Two rope plugs and it was still leaking out around them + the other cut.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I feel like Pelican cases are overkill for the vast majority of people who put them on their bikes. Sure, they're waterproof/rugged, but they're not terribly space efficient in terms of holding things, plus expensive.

As far as motorcycle equipment goes, Pelicans are anything but expensive. I am seeing a pair of 34L Givi Monokey cases on Motorcycle Superstore for over $500. The Giant Loop is $400.

Pairs of 35L Caribou/Pelican go for $315.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

thylacine posted:

I've seen several posts on ADV reminding everyone that hard cases can break your legs on a dual sport. Has that ever happened?

Maybe it was the case that broke my left leg, and not the ground.

Still, I think my main problem was going too fast on loose ground, not the cases. Also, wearing hiking boots and jeans.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe it was the case that broke my left leg, and not the ground.

Still, I think my main problem was going too fast on loose ground, not the cases. Also, wearing hiking boots and jeans.

I have some nice Dianese touring boots, but I still think of buying some motocross boots.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ok, so I've been consulting some folks and various laws an I'm pretty sure my recent speeding offense means I'm in for a 6 month driving ban, at most a year, at the very best 3 months.

However, I was planning on being in the US in November, and while I'm not sure I'll get the time/money, I wanted the option open for riding across the states.

It's state dependent but it looks like I could get a motorcycle license as a foreign national, but I am unsure as to what kind of proof of address I would need. I have addresses I could use (friends and family) as an address. Do they require proof of residency/address, like a utility bill or whatever? I have a British Passport which I assume should be more than ample for ID.

EDIT: God I miss living in Uganda, you could bribe your way in or out of pretty much anything there. It made me feel like a movie villan.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 17, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Huh, apparently David Allen Coe got in a truck accident a couple months ago and is no longer on the schedule of performers for the ROT Rally in Austin. But Vince Neil is! I wonder how many breaks that old bastard is going to take during the set. Motley Crue took 3 breaks to catch their breath when I saw them in Sturgis.

Is anybody else going to inevitably die in a fiery drunken Harley crash next month in Austin like I am?

I hear there's baseball-sized hail in Texas, should I bring a helmet just in case?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ok, so I've been consulting some folks and various laws an I'm pretty sure my recent speeding offense means I'm in for a 6 month driving ban, at most a year, at the very best 3 months.

However, I was planning on being in the US in November, and while I'm not sure I'll get the time/money, I wanted the option open for riding across the states.

It's state dependent but it looks like I could get a motorcycle license as a foreign national, but I am unsure as to what kind of proof of address I would need. I have addresses I could use (friends and family) as an address. Do they require proof of residency/address, like a utility bill or whatever? I have a British Passport which I assume should be more than ample for ID.

EDIT: God I miss living in Uganda, you could bribe your way in or out of pretty much anything there. It made me feel like a movie villan.

Why would being banned in your country/area stop you from driving here? :P

Serious question though. Would they know, check/etc?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Huh, apparently David Allen Coe got in a truck accident a couple months ago and is no longer on the schedule of performers for the ROT Rally in Austin. But Vince Neil is! I wonder how many breaks that old bastard is going to take during the set. Motley Crue took 3 breaks to catch their breath when I saw them in Sturgis.

Is anybody else going to inevitably die in a fiery drunken Harley crash next month in Austin like I am?

I hear there's baseball-sized hail in Texas, should I bring a helmet just in case?

gently caress ROT rally. If you're going to be town for a while you can stay at my family's lake house about an hour away from Austin, there are some good roads in the hill country and you can jet ski ( the motorcycle of the water dontcha know).

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Z3n posted:

If you're driving on an International Driving Permit, depending on the laws of the host country, you need to also carry your national drivers license with you as supporting information. The IDP itself is a pretty limited document. At least in Australia, when your license is suspended, you're usually required to hand in the actual license card to a police station or a transport department.

That said, it doesn't mean the cop pulling you over cares. I've known plenty of people to get verbal warnings on an IDP because the officer doesn't want to deal with it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Pokey Araya posted:

gently caress ROT rally.

Maybe I will never understand Harley and Cruiser culture, but I don't understand the appeal of stuff like ROT. I generally try to be out of town that weekend to avoid all the idiots and drunks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Guy picked up my ZZR250 today. I'm officially without a motorcycle.

:(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

No, lol. My dad hands his Thai license over here in America and his American license when he gets pulled over in Thailand. It's kinda funny.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Raven457 posted:

Maybe I will never understand Harley and Cruiser culture, but I don't understand the appeal of stuff like ROT. I generally try to be out of town that weekend to avoid all the idiots and drunks.

Its the only time of year i drive a car. If Texas goons wanna do an anti-ROT rally thing I'll be at the lake all all week and anyone is welcome. My email is fakecactus at gmail, shoot me an email and we can organize at meet up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

snail posted:

If you're driving on an International Driving Permit, depending on the laws of the host country, you need to also carry your national drivers license with you as supporting information. The IDP itself is a pretty limited document. At least in Australia, when your license is suspended, you're usually required to hand in the actual license card to a police station or a transport department.
The IDP is basically just a translation document that explains how to read the license, it's not valid for anything by itself. At least mine explicitly says it's not valid unless shown together with a valid national license.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

They will actually physically take my license away, so I don't have anything to show if I get pulled over. It looks like I can just register for a US one while I'm there though, you guys don't get a learner plate or anything do you, it's just here's your license, it proves you can fill out a form, go nuts on your new 1000cc death machine? Or am I required to do an MSF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

They will actually physically take my license away, so I don't have anything to show if I get pulled over. It looks like I can just register for a US one while I'm there though, you guys don't get a learner plate or anything do you, it's just here's your license, it proves you can fill out a form, go nuts on your new 1000cc death machine? Or am I required to do an MSF?

You can get a permit by passing the 20 question test, license requires navigating the lollipop at low speed.