Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The twist is that she got him shut down with a cease and desist order for libel and defamation of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

That was a random spot to end on. It's a pity, because I'm pretty sure he posted several times after that update saying he was still working on it.

He did, and supposedly still is. Perhaps the princess is the one writing his story, and she is merely suffering from writing block.

In the twilight zone Night Springs

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2013

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Every time you ask about when the story's going to be done, the ghost of Randy Pitchford delays it another two weeks.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

TombsGrave posted:

Every time you ask about when the story's going to be done, the ghost of Randy Pitchford delays it another two weeks.

No, everytime we ask about it, the princess gets a little stronger.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

E-Tank posted:

He did, and supposedly still is. Perhaps the princess is the one writing his story, and she is merely suffering from writing block.

In the twilight zone.

So it was all viral marketing for Alan Wake 2! :tinfoil:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm afraid it's ARG viral marketing for a cancelled found-footage horror movie.

I can't believe I caught up with this thread. And survived the Final Fantasy derail. At least I learned about tcrf.net which is going to eat more of my life than anyone could have expected.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, if you do not limit your time on that webpage in some sense, it will just be all over. I just said "hmm, PC only!" and it still took me weeks to finish looking through things.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

New pop fiction has been out for like a week. Without this thread to tell me, I forgot to check for it. It's about the completely useless pendant in Dark Souls.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BobTheJanitor posted:

New pop fiction has been out for like a week. Without this thread to tell me, I forgot to check for it. It's about the completely useless pendant in Dark Souls.

This is an astonishingly bad episode. They bring up one single theory about the pendant, don't even test it out, and then talk about how Dark Souls II might screw with players too. I suspect the pendant is just a prank from the developers but I would've liked them to test a few of the theories out there before declaring Fiction.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

quiggy posted:

This is an astonishingly bad episode. They bring up one single theory about the pendant, don't even test it out, and then talk about how Dark Souls II might screw with players too. I suspect the pendant is just a prank from the developers but I would've liked them to test a few of the theories out there before declaring Fiction.

Yeah I like it better when they dig up all kinds of crazy schoolyard theories with intricate 30-step processes to go through. I guess maybe they're running out of gaming myths that straddle that line between clearly false and obviously true enough to make an interesting episode out of.

My guess on the pendant is that they probably were planning to do something with it, perhaps a hidden faction, but had to cut it when they started running out of money and dev time (also the reason why Lost Izalith was so shoddy). Disappointing, but it could set up something great in DSII if they play their cards right. Now people are already going to be suspicious that they're being trolled if an identical pendant shows up in the sequel. But maybe this time it actually does do something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

quiggy posted:

They spent a good chunk talking about how they had gone through most of the myths left.

Which tells me they need to start reading our thread better.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

quiggy posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/06/dark-souls-pendant-mystery-solved-was-a-prank-all-along/

It was a prank the whole time. Kind of odd that they'd make a video about this, since it's old news.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TGLT posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/06/dark-souls-pendant-mystery-solved-was-a-prank-all-along/

It was a prank the whole time. Kind of odd that they'd make a video about this, since it's old news.

To be fair saying it was a prank may itself have been a prank and if Dark Souls has taught me anything it's to never take anything in that game at face value.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

Now people are already going to be suspicious that they're being trolled if an identical pendant shows up in the sequel. But maybe this time it actually does do something.
I'm pretty sure it was present on the website when it first launched, prominently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pendant was the only thing on Dark Souls II's launch website besides the background image for weeks. It was part of a little flash animation in which it swung back and forth in the wind. Then after a few weeks it disappeared and the DS2 logo replaced it.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
That reminds me of another urban legend about :darksouls:.

Let Sif Live:

A decent part of the way through Dark Souls, you are tasked to fight a boss called The Great Grey Wolf Sif. Sif is (not surprisingly) a loving huge wolf who (surprisingly) uses a loving huge sword it carries in its mouth to attack you.
The fight goes off fairly normally until Sif is reduced to about 10-25% health. At this point the bosses in many games would enter some sort of a rage state, moving faster or hitting harder. Sif however, is significantly weakened. It limps slowly around the battlefield, swinging its sword in shallower arcs, even falling over and scrabbling feebly to get to its feet when it does a certain attack. It's one of the most pathetically :smith: displays I've ever seen from a boss.

At that point, or so the rumor goes, there was some way to spare Sif instead of finishing it off, either through somehow destroying the sword it uses as a weapon, or not attacking it for a certain amount of time. Obviously, neither of these things worked.

(It has been a while since I've played the game, so I can't recall if it is strictly necessary to kill Sif to advance the story, otherwise you could technically just use a homeward bone to escape the boss arena and just continue on with the game.)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Watuhboy posted:

(It has been a while since I've played the game, so I can't recall if it is strictly necessary to kill Sif to advance the story, otherwise you could technically just use a homeward bone to escape the boss arena and just continue on with the game.)

It is strictly necessary. Sif drops an item required to kill another enemy who must be defeated to complete the game, and no type of behavior or sequence breaking/alternative path possible within the normal confines of the game will allow you to bypass this.

It's technically as possible as it is to get Mew or General Leo, though, because there's a bug that allows you to bypass the entire latter half of the game by glitching through the door to the Kiln of the First Flame.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The pendant was the only thing on Dark Souls II's launch website besides the background image for weeks. It was part of a little flash animation in which it swung back and forth in the wind. Then after a few weeks it disappeared and the DS2 logo replaced it.
Ah, yes, that was it. Possibly Dead Guy From The Trailer, and That loving Pendant.

:allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Watuhboy posted:

Let Sif Live:

A decent part of the way through Dark Souls, you are tasked to fight a boss called The Great Grey Wolf Sif. Sif is (not surprisingly) a loving huge wolf who (surprisingly) uses a loving huge sword it carries in its mouth to attack you.
The fight goes off fairly normally until Sif is reduced to about 10-25% health. At this point the bosses in many games would enter some sort of a rage state, moving faster or hitting harder. Sif however, is significantly weakened. It limps slowly around the battlefield, swinging its sword in shallower arcs, even falling over and scrabbling feebly to get to its feet when it does a certain attack. It's one of the most pathetically :smith: displays I've ever seen from a boss.

At that point, or so the rumor goes, there was some way to spare Sif instead of finishing it off, either through somehow destroying the sword it uses as a weapon, or not attacking it for a certain amount of time. Obviously, neither of these things worked.

I think it says something about Dark Souls that its 'revive person that dies' rumor isn't about an important friendly NPC, it's about a dog that never got directly spoken about before or after its death.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cleretic posted:

I think it says something about Dark Souls that its 'revive person that dies' rumor isn't about an important friendly NPC, it's about a dog that never got directly spoken about before or after its death.

There are no important friendly NPCs. :darksouls:

At least, not ones that you can't save or keep alive in some way or another.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Sif actually has his own backstory, which you can learn about by talking to another of his friends, a talking ye-olde-englishe cat with her own covenant that guards the forest Sif resides in. It makes about as much sense as it sounds. :eng101:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Watuhboy posted:

Let Sif Live:

I wish this rumor were true, especially after the scene exclusive to the DLC. Dark Souls is a really incredible game, because you are forced to kill off all of the heroes of its lore. I cannot think of many other games that has the brass to delve that far into a dark world.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The whole Sif/Artorias/Abyss storyline is incredibly well-done and it's not difficult at all to see why it's led to so many rumors. Honestly I'm sometimes disappointed that a lot of the other bosses don't have as good of a backstory, like why is there a Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot, where did the Gaping Dragon come from, what the gently caress is Ceaseless Discharge, and how did the Taurus and Capra Demons manage to make their way all the way out of the Demon Ruins up to the surface?

Shadow225 posted:

I wish this rumor were true, especially after the scene exclusive to the DLC. Dark Souls is a really incredible game, because you are forced to kill off all of the heroes of its lore. I cannot think of many other games that has the brass to delve that far into a dark world.

It's because of this fact that I'm a little bit concerned that the story of Dark Souls II can't possibly live up to its predecessor. It would be like if in the very first Zelda game after winning Link utterly demolished the soul of Ganondorf, the Triforce, and the goddesses. Where the gently caress do you go after that?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

quiggy posted:

The whole Sif/Artorias/Abyss storyline is incredibly well-done and it's not difficult at all to see why it's led to so many rumors. Honestly I'm sometimes disappointed that a lot of the other bosses don't have as good of a backstory, like why is there a Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot, where did the Gaping Dragon come from, what the gently caress is Ceaseless Discharge, and how did the Taurus and Capra Demons manage to make their way all the way out of the Demon Ruins up to the surface?

It's because of this fact that I'm a little bit concerned that the story of Dark Souls II can't possibly live up to its predecessor. It would be like if in the very first Zelda game after winning Link utterly demolished the soul of Ganondorf, the Triforce, and the goddesses. Where the gently caress do you go after that?

Link's Awakening. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

quiggy posted:

All of these questions have an answer, but this is something I'll answer for you in the Dark Souls thread, not here :v:

Back in elementary school, right after Pokemon Gold/Silver was announced, I heard a rumor from this kid about how there would be a new pokemon named "Luigi". Now it seems pretty obvious that he was probably mispronouncing "Lugia", but no, he meant Luigi, as in the plumber. He kept talking about Luigi even after the game came out, and no matter how many people told him Luigi wasn't in the game he would not be convinced :rolleyes:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

There are no important friendly NPCs. :darksouls:

At least, not ones that you can't save or keep alive in some way or another.

You can save Solaire! Did you kill him? You MONSTER. Also I consider invading Anor Londo my way of saving Smough-kun and Ornstein-san :colbert:.

Also with regards to that sif rumor I swear there was a picture of someone replacing the normal kill message with "AND THEN SIF TELEPORTED AWAY" as a joke. :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

quiggy posted:

Ceaseless Discharge, at the very least, has a backstory and a role in the game's lore. I'd imagine those other things are also touched on somewhere.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

quiggy posted:

Theres kinda some on topic stuff here to use as a justification for explaining these cause all the answers is basically Urban Myth made into lore.

Ok so the Moonlight Butterfly is there because Darkroot was once Oolicile, which fell apart and the various maidens from there were kidnapped and used for experiments by Seth the Scaleless. That's why there's a Golem in the waterfall too.

The Gaping Dragon is an old immortal superdragon that has become corrupted over the millennia by gluttony. It lives in the sewers and eats poo poo.

Ceaseless Discharge was actually the brother of the chaos sisters. When they went mental and unleashed all the demons an poo poo he was twisted just like they were. He spends his time in eternal pain watching over his sister/mothers corpse, with lava pouring out of him zoom in on his face sometime.

Dark Souls is actually kinda neat in that its a game with a theme based entirely around the whole schoolyard rumour thing. Its designed entirely to build and foster a community of people passing notes, exchanging legends and trying to figure out the story from what little info you get in the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that's one of the really neat aspects of Dark Souls. It has a ton of detail put into the setting but nothing is explicitly thrown in your face. All the story has to be worked out through random lore snippets you can find in item descriptions and environmental details, and that fact that there's enough hidden there that you CAN is really well done. It's the kind of game that's made for a thread like this and if it had come out 15 years ago it would probably have been just as big for schoolyard rumours as Pokemon or Zelda.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Eurogamer article about people looking for secrets in Shadow of the Colossus:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-02-the-quest-for-shadow-of-the-colossuss-last-big-secret

It's a nice mixture of everything we've seen in this thread: legitimate easter eggs, unfounded rumors, endless trial and error, hacking, remnants of earlier versions and so on.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Found this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xv-KYoqH7k
Some brilliant young mind created an incredibly brief and incredibly pathetic "creepy" game. I've never read someone write about raping their dead mother so insincerely.

I suspect he'll have a bright future in creepypasta though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Skeptoid's latest podcast is about a subject discussed earlier in the thread. Polybius: Video Game of Death

Rey the Great
Dec 9, 2011

BKPR posted:

Found this on Reddit:

Some brilliant young mind created an incredibly brief and incredibly pathetic "creepy" game. I've never read someone write about raping their dead mother so insincerely.

Wow, this is probably the worst thing I've seen in 2013. There's no real shock value in it because of how poorly put together it is. Not to mention the commentary sucks.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
ROCKETLEX!

:argh:

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Something miscellaneous just reminded me of this one:

Back in Pokemon-land, I remember a playground friend insisting to no end that it was possible to organize re-matches against the Gym Leaders if you took special steps during their fights. He didn't tell me all of them -- or else I've forgotten -- but he was adamant that if you could somehow blow away Brock's Onix he would demand you fight his real team later on.

(The method of doing so was to trade in a level 90+ Pidgeot or something with the Whirlwind skill and using that on Onix. Obviously this means the Pokemon would disobey you, but he basically suggested to save scum until it works.)

He also insisted that an extremely specific activation of the garbage cans in Surge's Gym would drop the floor and let you fall into Surge's real gym, and he would also fight you with his 'real' team. The 'real' team was supposed to consist of a full team of six, at level 90+. The conditions for the fights had to be activated the first time you entered the gym or else you wouldn't be re-match the gym leaders later, which is obviously why nobody knew about it and not because, you know, they didn't exist.

Of course, a few generations later, it became possible to re-fight the Gym Leaders (first in an aggravating and arbitrary way that involved having to play phone tag at specific hours of specific days, later by just walking into a particular house and they would rotate), and the Gym Leaders would use a revamped, high-level, multi-regional team. Which is pretty great, but in the back of my mind I will always love the idea of performing bizarre, obscure tasks that encourage Gym Leaders to fight you because you pissed them off hard enough.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
That's an awful playground rumor, it sounds way too feasible and almost reasonable in terms of gameplay! I kinda legitimately wish it was true, now. :(

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

NonsenseWords posted:

He also insisted that an extremely specific activation of the garbage cans in Surge's Gym would drop the floor and let you fall into Surge's real gym, and he would also fight you with his 'real' team. The 'real' team was supposed to consist of a full team of six, at level 90+. The conditions for the fights had to be activated the first time you entered the gym or else you wouldn't be re-match the gym leaders later, which is obviously why nobody knew about it and not because, you know, they didn't exist.

Oh man, ancient memory retriggered! I totally remember trying to find Surge's secret gym now. I don't recall how you were supposed to do it but I do remember the floor was supposed to open and he had a level 80 Raichu and some other ridiculous stuff.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Someday, Rocketlex is gonna forget, and he'll accidentally post in this thread again.

On that day, The Princess will have him.

But on topic: this one may have been regional - anyone else hear about it? Back in FF1 on the NES, on the third floor of the Flying Fortress (Crystal of Air/Tiamat quest), there's a "window" that lets you look down on the planet. One of my buddies (his dad "tested games for Nintendo, I swear!") told me that if you left your guy in front of the window for a full hour, the MOON SWORD would descend from the sky. It did 9999 damage every hit, of course, and could be equipped by anyone!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BKPR posted:

Found this on Reddit:

Just wanted to mention that I had hopes for this, probably because I failed to read the word "Reddit" before adding it to my Watch Later queue or spot the sarcasm with which it was offered.

For what it's worth, the game engine could work for this kind of thing, but the writing/content is just really lame. In the hands of someone who understands horror it could be effective, and in the hands of someone who can design a visual novel game it might even last longer than 3 minutes, which might have been merciful given how boring it was.

It's a shame because the SCP-087 unity game did a lot with a little, and the SCP-173 Blitz3D game was similarly decent with an underpowered engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure the point of Fun is that you're supposed to think it's a Pale Luna sort of thing

edit: oh wait, I think I see what you're saying

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 16, 2013