Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

wikipe tama posted:

JESUS. All I could manage is most of Antatola, Greece, part of deepest Africa I gave up babysitting, Naples and Tripoli. That's unimaginable to me ^. how the heck did you manage the infamy? I'm playing 5.1

Chiefly royal marriages. After I ran out of Middle East to conquer, I was by far the strongest Christian state. However, I found that when I was pushing into Italy, it was utterly unmanageable to try and conquer every lovely little state for 3 infamy a pop, so I started focusing on aggressive marriage politics and colonization. Through claiming thrones and a string of high diplomacy kings, I stole or inherited the thrones of Great Britain, Hungary, Poland-Lithuania, Muscowy, and probably others I'm forgetting. Even still, I was riding close to the edge of my infamy limit, even with hundreds of thousands of troops. The final straw came when I decided to force integration with France, which gave me their massive continental and American holdings. Cue EVERY remaining independent Christian state (IE, the HRE's membership) declaring war on me. I could have won the war without much difficulty, but I couldn't see the point. No way I eat all those tiny 3 infamy poison pills without building infamy so high even I can't survive it, and keeping my colonial empire's integrity was already driving me mad.

Frankly, if I had to make a suggestion for anyone playing EU3, it's that you shouldn't colonize. Colonization is a load of horseshit micromanagement. Get a token state or two to avoid the nasty "you don't have colonies!" events, then just ignore that forever. Far more fun to be had in the Old World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Patter Song posted:

2. Morale is that green bar when you're fighting. If it hits 0, no matter how many troops you have left, your men are breaking and running, and if they retreat into an enemy force at 0.0 morale they're going to surrender en masse.

You are thinking EU3 here, Victoria's approach is the same as HoI with regards to that: Organisation is the green bar's size, and Morale determines how quickly it replenishes. It is vastly important: if you have superior troops but piss-poor morale, you can win battles, then pull back to reorganise because your organisation has dropped, and by the time you have recovered maybe 20% of your org the enemy armies may have replenished their org and strength fully and are pushing in. Meanwhile you can't just eject them out because your current org is still really loving poor and recovering slowly.

And that's to say nothing about having mediocre morale and an (otherwise good) general that cuts it down by another 25%. :shepicide:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Incidently In CKII+ I won the crusade as Venice and released an independant merchant republic headquartered in Acre... they got patricians then moved to jerusalem which promptly became unselectable, can't see into the province at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I also thought that Mobilization Impact determined how much your industry's productivity dropped whenever your mobilized, and the Mobilization Size determines how many brigades you'll get.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

AtomikKrab posted:

Incidently In CKII+ I won the crusade as Venice and released an independant merchant republic headquartered in Acre... they got patricians then moved to jerusalem which promptly became unselectable, can't see into the province at all.

Sounds like they evolved into a higher form of consciousness and slipped into a pocket dimension that exists outside of our reality.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
A friend of mine showed me this and I thought it was pretty funny.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The original is from xkcd about mmos, with the black line being Eve online.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Vic2 should be smooth and low and then shoot up vertically into infinity suddenly

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Yeah, coming from my own experience, Vicky 2 really ought to be the black line. Most (admittedly, not all) of HOI3 at least clicks after a game or two with a bigger nation to get the principles of research/production/economy etc. that you can apply to anyone. V2, not so much.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

How does a kingdom become a theocracy in CK2? I was playing as Brittany, spent a little time taking over Normandy and bits of Ireland and then I decided to look down and see what France was up to since they've had more-or-less constant internal strife since the beginning and suddenly they had a King-Bishop or something and their title was Theocracy of France. I've never seen that happen before :psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

How does a kingdom become a theocracy in CK2? I was playing as Brittany, spent a little time taking over Normandy and bits of Ireland and then I decided to look down and see what France was up to since they've had more-or-less constant internal strife since the beginning and suddenly they had a King-Bishop or something and their title was Theocracy of France. I've never seen that happen before :psyduck:

It can happen when someone with a title claim is given a bishopric as their first holding. If they then press the claim- or someone else presses the claim for them- they become a king-archbishop rather than a plain old king.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, in my England->Britain game I've had to deal with a theocracy of Castile that has eaten up Iberia. I like to think that the Spaniards are having one hell of an Inquisition.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
As the Kingdom of Ireland I had to fight battle the Theocracy of England and their numerous Crusades against me. My game got all kinds of weird that time. The Pope lived in England and the Papal States were run by a Doge. :psyduck:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
:siren:HoD is $13 on Amazon!:siren:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

James The 1st posted:

:siren:HoD is $13 on Amazon!:siren:

But it's not for Steam. :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Upon restarting I could see into jerusalem again, so it was only temporary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JGBeagle posted:

But it's not for Steam. :negative:

I just bought it and activated it. So yeah it is. It even says requires steam somewhere on the page. Maybe you are looking at the wrong version?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

HoD should be steam. AHD isn't unless you buy a certain pack

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
I finally got HoD, loaded up the beta patch and NNM, and started a game as Prussia. I'm in 1845, I have all the NGF nations sphered (Hannover, Saxony, & Schleswig-Holstein), and I have State & Government like the tooltip says, but I still can't form the NGF. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Amazon is really unclear about what's Steam and what isn't. A lot of stuff will say like 'Download - 2GB' and then it ends up being a Steam key.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I finally got HoD, loaded up the beta patch and NNM, and started a game as Prussia. I'm in 1845, I have all the NGF nations sphered (Hannover, Saxony, & Schleswig-Holstein), and I have State & Government like the tooltip says, but I still can't form the NGF. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

I believe you now need to make Schleswig-Holstein not a puppet. If you've done that it might be you need to sphere denmark.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Nevermind.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So now I'm in the second half of the 18th century and I'm three provinces away from the Thema system (was just 2 originally, but Austria managed to wrest Bursa from me) and now all the big powers have been using imperialism cassus bellis to tear me apart. I can withstand one, maybe, but not Castille, Austria, Hungary and France combined. How do I deal with this? Does paying them off with gifts work?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

wikipe tama posted:

So now I'm in the second half of the 18th century and I'm three provinces away from the Thema system (was just 2 originally, but Austria managed to wrest Bursa from me) and now all the big powers have been using imperialism cassus bellis to tear me apart. I can withstand one, maybe, but not Castille, Austria, Hungary and France combined. How do I deal with this? Does paying them off with gifts work?

You're probably hosed. Maybe consider scorching the earth in some of your provinces so the attacking troops get hit with attrition, but this will only do so much. It's worth trying to pay them off but sometimes the AI won't go for that at all. Don't be afraid to reload, this game can gently caress you over majorly sometimes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I've been having issues with Victoria II for a while now as a result of previous modding activity. Unfortunately, neither Paradox Plaza nor GamersGate seems to have a solution. I thought I might as well ask here. I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

quote:

Until recently, I had the non-AHD version of the POP Demand Mod installed on my computer. After purchasing A House Divided and Heart of Darkness, I uninstalled then reinstalled Victoria II and its expansions. Although everything loaded correctly the first time, upon restarting I got the Pop Demand Mod menu screen. The game crashed, obviously because the wrong version of the mod was installed. I uninstalled Victoria II again, deleted the entire directory folder and then reinstalled only to suffer the same problem. After asking for help on the GamersGate website, I deleted deleted the contents of C:\Users\*USER NAME*\Documents\Paradox Interactive thinking it might be a cache problem. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

I am sure I am doing something stupid that can be resolved with a simple fix. Could someone please help me? I really would like to play with the expansions installed but am not sure how Pop Demand Mod can still be installed despite repeated attempts to get rid of the old version.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

wikipe tama posted:

Same thing happened to me way back when as the Byzantines. Use the fact that you have max quality troops to your advantage, just constantly fight them, overwhelm them and win battles. Eventually you'll get to 100% tradition, and then you can use your ubergenerals to wipe the floor with everyone. Also remember to play completely defensively. You may end up with a completely wrecked nation, but you'll take the world with you.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

I've been having issues with Victoria II for a while now as a result of previous modding activity. Unfortunately, neither Paradox Plaza nor GamersGate seems to have a solution. I thought I might as well ask here. I would really appreciate if someone could help me.
Complete shot in the dark, but try going to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\" and rummaging around there to see if there are any relevant directories and deleting them if so.

If you can't find the AppData directory in your user directory, go to Control Panel > Folder Options and then View, click "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bold Robot posted:

You're probably hosed. Maybe consider scorching the earth in some of your provinces so the attacking troops get hit with attrition, but this will only do so much. It's worth trying to pay them off but sometimes the AI won't go for that at all. Don't be afraid to reload, this game can gently caress you over majorly sometimes.

That button is always greyed out for me. I managed to buy some time to make a huge army but when I went to war and Portugal ended up in a rebellion death spiral despite having like 4% risk in one province as the most risky I got and winning all the battles. This is sort of a learning game for me but I think I may have been screwed by the fact that Europeans were showing up in the 1400s

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

SeaTard posted:

Fired up CK2 again, and ran into a fun little bug. If you start the game as a republic, get bumped down so you're no longer the Doge, and then declare a war of independence to get out from under him, the game ends in a game over:

This isn't a bug sorry. Republics cannot be playable and do not have patrician families if the primary title is count or baron.

If you were a duke or higher and declared independence it might have worked, but you are a city in that picture and therefore would not have created an independent trade republic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It may not be a bug, but it's a weird design quirk that should probably be looked at. Maybe make it impossible for the player to declare independence in that situation? Or at least say that it will result in a game over? It's weird that without any indication you can do a diplomatic action that is personally reasonable for your strategic situation, and be met with an automatic game over because of obscure game mechanics.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It may not be a bug, but it's a weird design quirk that should probably be looked at. Maybe make it impossible for the player to declare independence in that situation? Or at least say that it will result in a game over? It's weird that without any indication you can do a diplomatic action that is personally reasonable for your strategic situation, and be met with an automatic game over because of obscure game mechanics.

Especially since similar diplomatic options like accepting annexation as Hawaii or Texas have huge (GAME OVER) text on them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

reignonyourparade posted:

I believe you now need to make Schleswig-Holstein not a puppet. If you've done that it might be you need to sphere denmark.
Yeah, if Schleswig-Holstein is a puppet, it can't be a puppet of anyone but you. The First Schleswig War has a chance of triggering from 1848 and forward, so you might just want wait a bit? The mean time to happen for it is 6 months, so it shouldn't take long, and then you just have to stop Denmark from occupying Schleswig-Holstein, which isn't difficult at all. NNM also has an event that gives you a chance of pulling a satellite free from its master, if you've sphered it, but the MTTH seems quite a bit longer and it's not a sure thing either. And it might have special exemptions for countries like Schleswig-Holstein.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HOI3 question: How do you assign brigades to HQs to make them combat-capable?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I finally had the time to play a full game of The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends, I've made a few tweaks based on it.

Download!
Checksum: OYNW

May 17th 2013
-Added Lithuanian and Byelorussian as accepted POPs to Latvia;
-Removed German POPs from Latvia. Prussia never owned these lands;
-Removed Russian cores from Siberia, which were getting in the way of free-market colonization of the region;
-Canada begins at war with the Kingdom of the North;
-Added soldier POPs to Canada;
-Added soldier POPs and regiments to Kingdom of the North;
-Added soldier POPs and regiments to Cherokee;
-Cherokee and Maya are allied at the start;
-Spain and Occitania are allied at the start;
-Spain now has an army defending their colonies in Africa;
-Changed Maya's ruling parties;
-Fixed some regions for the sake of pretty borders;
-Fixed a bug that caused the Roman Secession in Tepehuacu to turn into Groundhog Day;
-More mysterious changes to defines.lua;

Oh, and thanks to YF-23 for some input on this stuff!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 17, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Two new Dev Diaries out today: an EU4 one about Japan and an East vs West one about nukes

The EU4 one is pretty cool- Paradox seem to have realised that they hosed up with Japan in Divine Wind so they've completely reworked it, you can now play as one of 20 daimyos. They've also added a V2-esque scoring system where you gain points each month for one of the top 10 nations ranked by administration, diplomacy or military. The EU series has never really been able to implement a proper scoring system and while it's not really necessary it's quite a nice feature.

The EvW one on the other hand... :suicide:. They don't mention anything about nuclear brinkmanship/diplomacy at all, it's all about how they want you to be able to have 'limited' nuclear wars and the minutiae of the different types of nukes/how you'll be able to launch them. It might be an interesting little HOI add-on but I don't think it can be called a Cold War game at this point.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What happens afterwards?

The HOI3 engine introduced weather, didn't it? I wonder if it'll have nuclear winter depending on how many provinces in the world get burned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

What happens afterwards?

The HOI3 engine introduced weather, didn't it? I wonder if it'll have nuclear winter depending on how many provinces in the world get burned.

If you want nuclear winter just play unpatched HOI3.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

Impact and effects

The effect of a missile’s impact depends on the type warhead in that specific model. Newer models don’t necessarily have greater impact; sometimes they provide greater range with a smaller nuclear footprint. Impact effects include decreasing the population, causing dissent in the target country, damaging the economy and destroying military units. Nuclear impacts damage neighboring provinces as well, but at a smaller percentage, as we figured close proximity nuclear explosions should rightfully be dangerous. Nuclear strikes will also cause diplomatic turmoil and expect your prestige to plummet.
It looks like they're basically just slightly more effective versions of HoI's tactical nukes. They are just making HoI with more nukes here which is fair enough I guess , but I'm pretty disappointed about what could have been.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The EvW post-impact report includes the exact number of people killed by your nuclear strike. I can't see this leading to horrifically detailed genocide LPs, no siree.

On the plus side EU4 is looking great. Japan basically seems like how Wiz implemented it in EU3+, which is great. The stuff about the scoring system is neat, too - it sounds like a fun little way to keep track of where you stand on the world stage while not being intrusive at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gilg posted:

Complete shot in the dark, but try going to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\" and rummaging around there to see if there are any relevant directories and deleting them if so.

If you can't find the AppData directory in your user directory, go to Control Panel > Folder Options and then View, click "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Don't know why but that worked. :iiam:

Thank you for your help.

• Locked thread