Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It wouldn't surprise me if the heart eater guy was from an extremist group. I think Steven Pinker said it best: If you follow an ideology that says that a utopia is at the end of the conflict if you win, then you are fighting for something that can do an infinite amount of good. Therefore, anyone who opposes you is standing in the face of something infinitely good and therefore must be evil. By extension, whatever means you "need" to take justify the infinitely good ends. Mass killings of civilians, executions, and cutting a dude's heart out become justifiable.

Pinker theorized that this is a big part of the reason why average people were willing to carry out horrific brutality in the name of say, Mao's Cultural Revolution, or Nazi Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hazza posted:

I think those are just extended elevons.

I was talking about

which looks an awful lot like a typical non-LO engine nozzle (aka the "turkey feathers" due to it's appearance):

The un-shaped, unpainted metal surfaces aren't exactly stealthy, which is an odd choice on an aircraft where they went to all the effort to dogtooth the landing gear doors. The only way it really makes sense if it's a one-off aerodynamic demonstrator to experiment with flying wing designs, or it's a stand-in for a different engine currently in development. In the first case, why would they spend a lot of time with low-RCS features when the big can in the back is going to spoil your readings on all non-front-aspect tests? In the second, wouldn't changing the engine and nozzle alter performance enough that testing would have to start from scratch?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 16, 2013

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Red Crown posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the heart eater guy was from an extremist group.

The guy, Khalid al-Hamad aka Abu Sakkar, was a pretty standard FSA-type, Sunni, until he broke away and started his own crew, mainly fighting near al-Qusayr. From the sounds like it, he's lost a lot of family and has just gone off the deep end, willing to do anything and everything just to make Assad and the Alawites hurt, out of pure retribution. That's my read of it at least.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

A lot of people out there are sadists and monsters just waiting for permission, and war can offer that permission.

Or, just really petty dicks who will make people do extra firewatch. It's a spectrum.

Unrelated:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Best Friends posted:

A lot of people out there are sadists and monsters just waiting for permission, and war can offer that permission.

Or, just really petty dicks who will make people do extra firewatch. It's a spectrum.

Unrelated:

I can see how this paint scheme would gently caress with old time rangefinders. Jesus.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mw1SB5P_FM
oh semper fi or something

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Best recruitment video. Will never be topped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHm8MeNzadQ

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
It doesn't beat chess or the lava monster, but I thought this one was kind of cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwY67LYzH7Q

Completely unrelated, it's time to repost the Hawg Wild van:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANySXFKqVg

CHAFF!!!!!!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

iyaayas01 posted:

It doesn't beat chess or the lava monster, but I thought this one was kind of cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwY67LYzH7Q

Twirling rifles across America was lovely.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Silent drill team are the pogueist of pogues.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Best Friends posted:

Unrelated:

We should have kept this around because it looks cool. Did it work? Also what was the crazy polka dot ship camo? Dazzle?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

We should have kept this around because it looks cool. Did it work? Also what was the crazy polka dot ship camo? Dazzle?

Dazzle is in the picture quoted. It made identifying different parts of the ship a loving nightmare.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

The enlisted version of this commercial ends when the two pawns get their poo poo pushed in by the noble knight.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Vasudus posted:

Dazzle is in the picture quoted. It made identifying different parts of the ship a loving nightmare.

It also really hosed with rangefinders that relied on aligning two half-images.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

My brother says the hardest part of OCS was the Dragon that replaced the Lava monster but I dunno how I'd make it through the drill tunnel thing

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Pretty swank shot of a C-17 getting refueled over ID.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was talking about

which looks an awful lot like a typical non-LO engine nozzle (aka the "turkey feathers" due to it's appearance):

The un-shaped, unpainted metal surfaces aren't exactly stealthy, which is an odd choice on an aircraft where they went to all the effort to dogtooth the landing gear doors. The only way it really makes sense if it's a one-off aerodynamic demonstrator to experiment with flying wing designs, or it's a stand-in for a different engine currently in development. In the first case, why would they spend a lot of time with low-RCS features when the big can in the back is going to spoil your readings on all non-front-aspect tests? In the second, wouldn't changing the engine and nozzle alter performance enough that testing would have to start from scratch?

Chinese engine technology is roughly at 1970s Soviet levels. They still can't produce proper engines for their Flankers.

Edit: Also, I don't think any of these new jets are particularly low observable in the way we usually think of LO aircraft. There are too many "non-LO" design features on all of them. They may have lower detection ranges than a generic massive Flanker, but they're not particularly stealthy.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 16, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Chinese engine technology is roughly at 1970s Soviet levels. They still can't produce proper engines for their Flankers.

Yeah, I've read that their J-11s have had unintended flameouts at airshows under 5000 feet

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Oxford Comma posted:

I can see how this paint scheme would gently caress with old time rangefinders. Jesus.

The bigger issue was with the target motion analysis the guys on submarines had to do prior to firing torpedoes. You need to visually estimate the angle-on-the-bow, and if you can't tell the bow from the stern because of all that dazzle camouflage it makes your job much harder.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJKFNPGS_XM

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

onezero posted:

I did not know those markings lit up. That's rad as gently caress looking.

I love the part where drinking and driving is encouraged in this military.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

^ In a BTR no less. That's loving awesome.

Golden Alzheimer
Jun 25, 2008

Current paint job on the USS Freedom is a half-assed dazzle, I think.

e: Yeah, I looked it up three seconds after I made this post: http://i.imgur.com/aeWhtHN.jpg (linked because it's huge)

also "uss freedom" is the stupidest god drat name jesus christ

Golden Alzheimer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 16, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
USS Good Things are Good.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
USS Buck Oh Five

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
still better than politicians or city names

e: woops thought this was navy thread

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 16, 2013

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm guessing the Vincent Van referenced movie about the Goa infiltration.

Do you remember the name of the movie? I tried googling goa infiltration, but it gives me only information about Stargate Goa'ulds... :doh:

EDIT, I think I found it. Is this the one?
http://mubi.com/films/infiltration

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

Jimmy Carter was a submariner though, so it's fitting.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

We named battleships after landlocked states. We should've done what Britain did and just name them after really cool words.
INVINCIBLE! INDEFATIGABLE! AUDACIOUS!

edit: lol Ajax

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

We named battleships after landlocked states. We should've done what Britain did and just name them after really cool words.

yeah a lot of the UK ones own

my submarine was named after a town in kansas and the motto was "defender of the heartland"

how much dumber can you get really

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

You're missing the best RN name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Viking

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

DoktorLoken posted:

Jimmy Carter was a submariner though, so it's fitting.

People may poo poo on Carter but the sub named after him does some seriously spooky poo poo.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Carter was the last decent president. And look what happened to him in '80. That's why they'll all be douchebags til the end of time.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Counterpoint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Biter_%28D97%29

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Gay Viking is approximately 26.5 times funnier than that imo

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

"Three of the vessels, Hopewell (No. 2004), Nonsuch (No. 2005) and Gay Viking were deployed on one Moonshine run in early 1945. While making the return voyage on 5 February 1945, Gay Viking and Hopewell collided. The seamen of the Gay Viking were taken off and she subsequently sank." :heysexy:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Commoners posted:

"Three of the vessels, Hopewell (No. 2004), Nonsuch (No. 2005) and Gay Viking were deployed on one Moonshine run in early 1945. While making the return voyage on 5 February 1945, Gay Viking and Hopewell collided. The seamen of the Gay Viking were taken off and she subsequently sank." :heysexy:

I enjoyed that line quite a bit.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

OBi posted:

USS Buck Oh Five

I would fully support a ship being named that.

I loved how the Graf Spee fought both of the ships Ajax and Achilles at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_River_Plate

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ded posted:

People may poo poo on Carter but the sub named after him does some seriously spooky poo poo.

That sub is single handed one our most valuable strategic assets and has been worth every penny. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

onezero posted:

Have a higher res version handy?

• Locked thread