Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I also know Chinese mythology, but also Japanese and Mongolian, so why in the living hell are they all grouped together? Tengriism is nothing like the other two at all, and Chinese and Japanese mythology despite having some shared characteristics due to centuries of cultural exchange are fairly different at their core too. I don't know much about Korean mythology, but if it's as related as the rest are, it probably doesn't belong there either.
I'd say something about how the Korean and Japanese were also originally part steppe but the legends sure as hell ain't. No denying the connection with China though, especially after all this time of intermingling and syncreticism.

Honestly, if I had to guess they just threw a few of them in where the only shared characteristic was geographical proximity, rather than any true historical relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A delicious map posted on BoingBoing

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Some of the closed-off cities seem like odd choices, as does the fact that a USSR citizen can apparently enter the US from Canada almost anywhere as long as it doesn't involve crossing a body of water while the Mexican border is almost universally forbidden. I assume the latter has to do with Canada being a US ally and NATO member.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
What is with the large swaths of the Dakotas? It was before there were any ICBM fields, but I suppose there were quite a few bomber bases scattered around. Maybe they didn't want those damned Commies stealing any of our precious wheat.

Still, very interesting.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

reagan posted:

What is with the large swaths of the Dakotas? It was before there were any ICBM fields, but I suppose there were quite a few bomber bases scattered around. Maybe they didn't want those damned Commies stealing any of our precious wheat.

Still, very interesting.

Obfuscation? I reckon that a good amount of that land is of no actual value and would ordinarily be open, but locked off to give the illusion of importance. Although why you'd bother and not just ban USSR citizens entirely without case-by-case permission, I don't know. Might as well go all in on it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

prefect posted:

I just thought it was amusing. :shrug:
My favorite is "Italy - Least Trustworthy: Italy". Haha, such honesty. Italy is Littlefinger from Game of Thrones.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There's some weirdness in that map, apparently some of it is either some weird sort of reciprocity (e.g. the coast is mostly banned because Russia banned Americans from theirs first and so gently caress you), and I suspect some of it might have been put there as a red herring.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Teddybear posted:

Obfuscation? I reckon that a good amount of that land is of no actual value and would ordinarily be open, but locked off to give the illusion of importance. Although why you'd bother and not just ban USSR citizens entirely without case-by-case permission, I don't know. Might as well go all in on it.

There are a few key strategic areas in those huge swaths of land - air force bases, dams, radar stations, etc; but yeah that makes sense as well. Keep them guessing in the era before spy satellites.

Or maybe we really just did not want them to visit Mount Rushmore.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Marchex Data Reveals Ohioans Curse the Most in the Country; Washingtonians the Least

Take it for what it's worth. Not much cultural or geographic correlation, and some of the most courteous states have the highest incidence of foul language.

(How the gently caress is it possible that MA is 2nd least likely to curse?)

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
As someone who lives in Pennsylvania I call loving bullshit.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This data doesn't seem right I'm from Mass and there is no way its 2nd least likely to curse, I believe second least courteous, but the cursing one doesn't seem even close to being right.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

reagan posted:

Aren't mainland Chinese kind of prejudiced against people from HK as well? Talking to my professors, the guys from HK say that they catch guff from their mainland colleagues. Hell, one guy even said one of the Indian professors derides him for being Westernized.

computer parts posted:

Maybe in southern China but I think overall it's just "that place that's Chinese but we need a passport to go to".

All over China Hong Kongers are known for being ungrateful and arrogant due to the media painting them as being uppity and unpatriotic. There was recently a big to do with Mainlanders getting yelled at in Hong Kong for violating laws involving littering, eating and drinking on public transportation, and using public areas as toilets. In Mainland China there are no laws involving public spaces so people litter and do whatever they like wherever. The backlash in Mainland China was to call Hong Kongers imperialist dogs and get super indignant even though the Mainlanders in question should have followed the laws. It's one of the main reasons why Chinese people are disliked by their neighbors. Not because of regional power struggles or economics but because Chinese tourists give no fucks about laws and can't be told otherwise.

To be honest, most Chinese people tend to carry a lot of prejudices and stereotypes about people everywhere but it's almost always out of ignorance and not hate. The majority of China's population is homogeneous and most have very little interactions, if any, with foreigners.

Here's Kinmen/Jinmen/Quemoy, or whatever you want to call it, the frontlines of the Chinese Civil War. The PLA used to shell it pretty heavily until the 1980's after they failed to take the island at the end of the Civil War. The PLA failed to bring anti-tank ordinance and the ROCA ended up having tanks. It's alleged that the ROCA tanks ran out of ammunition and just ran over PLA soldiers to repel them, earning the name, "The Bear of Kinmen/金門之熊" Today it's a beach destination for Taiwanese and Mainlanders alike.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 17, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Marchex Data Reveals Ohioans Curse the Most in the Country; Washingtonians the Least

Take it for what it's worth. Not much cultural or geographic correlation, and some of the most courteous states have the highest incidence of foul language.

Hell yeah, MD represent. Top 5 most profane AND most courteous: we are the most fun state.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Hell yeah, MD represent. Top 5 most profane AND most courteous: we are the most fun state.

Bitch, I'd like this please. That's $4.30, you shitbag. Here's five, keep the change, you bastard. Have a nice day, go gently caress yourself.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

Balkan hilarity
Do you happen to have anything on Greek irredentism? I think I recall that after WW1 they asked the Allies for Anatolia and were turned down because that's dumb as hell.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Wisconsin is the least courteous state. Based solely on how people here drive, I can believe it.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Do you happen to have anything on Greek irredentism? I think I recall that after WW1 they asked the Allies for Anatolia and were turned down because that's dumb as hell.

That would be the Megali Idea or Great/Big (depending on the translator) Idea which still pops up every now and again in Greek nationalist circles. The Greek Prime Minister at the time, Eleftherios Venizelos, did bring that up at the Paris Peace Conference and actually got a fair amount of support from Western powers, so much so that the new Greek borders in the Treaty of Sevres were as such:

The Greeks even invaded Anatolia in an attempt to expand on the already extensive Anatolian territories they were supposed to receive from the treaty but they got a little ahead of themselves and wound up overextending their supply lines and pissing off the Turks so much that the reorganized Turkish army under Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was able to completely expel them from Anatolia. Both sides committed some pretty nasty attacks on civilians during that war and it was such a big defeat for the Greeks, and such a huge victory for the Turks, that a new treaty, the Treaty of Lausanne, was negotiated to replace the failed Treaty of Sevres that had ended the war between the Allies and the Ottoman Empire. In addition to establishing the border between the two countries as it exists today (though there are still disagreements about islands and territorial waters in the Aegean), this also resulted in massive forced population transfers of most of the Greek population of Turkey and the Turkish population of Greece.

It doesn't really show up on that map but the Megali Idea also sometimes includes claims on Northern Epirus in Albania, Eastern Rumelia in Bulgaria and pretty much all of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. All of these territorial claims are pretty fringe nowadays but Greek relations with the Republic of Macedonia are still complicated though because Greece objects to their using the name "Macedonia" since they feel that A: it implies a claim on the heritage of ancient Macedonia, which the Greeks claim as their own and B: it implies a territorial claim on the Greek provinces of Macedonia, which to be fair have in the past been claimed by Macedonian nationalists but which the Macedonian government has never even hinted at wanting. This has, to put it mildly, complicated Macedonian attempts to join NATO and the EU and while it's not explicitly related to the Greek Megali Idea in the Balkans nationalism and irredentism are rarely too far from the surface when disagreements like that come up. And since I brought it up, here's a map of the wider region of Macedonia, with the independent country to the north, the Greek part to the south and the Bulgarian part in the northeast:

Edited to clarify that the Treaty of Lausanne was between Turkey and the Allies, not just between Turkey and Greece.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 17, 2013

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It's crazy the Greeks got that greedy, if they'd been satisfied at the time we might have Constantinople rather than Istanbul.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Kem Rixen posted:

This data doesn't seem right I'm from Mass and there is no way its 2nd least likely to curse, I believe second least courteous, but the cursing one doesn't seem even close to being right.

Yeah, with the way you guys drive, there's no chance in hell that 2nd least likely is even remotely accurate. Also as a Rhode Islander, it's probably just that they couldn't understand the accent and so didn't know when people were cursing.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

It's crazy the Greeks got that greedy, if they'd been satisfied at the time we might have Constantinople rather than Istanbul.

Eh, not necessarily. I really doubt Ataturk would have just rolled over and allowed the Greeks and the Allies to take Istanbul. they might have been able to hold onto Smyrna/Izmir and other ethnic Greek enclaves in western Anatolia but I think despite the Treaty of Sevres, Istanbul wasn't going to happen.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Sri.Theo posted:

The Greek side had not received Constantinople after World War I; notice that the map has several hatched lines, these are not lands Greece received but lands claimed in the Megali Idea. Here's a map of the border history of the modern Greek state, courtesy of the Wikipedia article on the Megali Idea:

Besides by that time Greeks in Constantinople were a (sizeable) minority, I believe, so it wouldn't make much sense for Greece to have received it, other than to serve a sort of romantic nationalism. It would have meant that Greece would've had lands on Anatolia proper, and perhaps more interestingly, coastline on the Black Sea. It would have also meant that Turkey would probably still have large Greek minorities (such as the Pontic Greeks around Trebizond), and I suppose Greece would've had large Turkish minorities (I don't know much about pre-exchange Turkish minorities, I think Thessalonika had a large one, but there's still a minority in Greek Thrace, mostly around the city of Xanthe).

In any case, the Greco-Turkish War happened, the former allies of Greece supported Turkey, if I remember my history right (I do remember reading that Great Britain didn't want the Bosporus under the control of a single country so they didn't quite enjoy the idea that Greece would conquer it). The Greek military failed, and the non-insular borders of Greece settled to their current form along the Evros River. Note that the last border change was the acquisition of the Dodecanese islands which were held by Italy, at the end of World War II.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

univbee posted:

A delicious map posted on BoingBoing

Wow, what a lame road trip through the states that would make :ussr:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wow, thanks - I never realised that the Allies actually accepted some of Greece's proposals. It must have been tough for the Turks, having just come out the losing end of a war to find yourself in yet another war with one of the countries you just finished fighting. I guess that's the sort of thing that builds character.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Another fun :can: map, courtesy of the thread about lowering the drunk driving limit in the States:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Another fun :can: map, courtesy of the thread about lowering the drunk driving limit in the States:

Having been through Wisconsin a hundred times I can not emphasize how much this map is entirely true.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So uh, people do nothing but drink in Wisconsin and Illinois?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

So uh, people do nothing but drink in Wisconsin and Illinois?

It's got a whole lot to do with how zoning regulations, liquor laws, and other demographic factors work. The map says a whole lot more about how local liquor license regulations work and the ratio between huge supermarkets and small groceries are in different parts of the country than about how much people drink.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

univbee posted:

Was there an article or that this was attached to? I'd be interested in seeing required criteria for something to make the cut as a grocery store.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
North Dakota is actually second to Wisconsin overall, I believe. Or at the very least Fargo was second to Milwaukee when it comes to binge drinking.

Oddly enough ND also has the highest amount of churches per capita.

Kalos posted:

Was there an article or that this was attached to? I'd be interested in seeing required criteria for something to make the cut as a grocery store.

That's another thing. Here in ND, alcohol cannot be sold in grocery stores. They can be attached to the store, but the entrance/exits must be separate. So for all intents and purposes they are a separate store.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

AndyP posted:

Wisconsin is the least courteous state. Based solely on how people here drive, I can believe it.

Those legendary crazy Wisconsin drivers.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
That map is also misleading as it doesn't say anything about super markets that can sell beer and wine or about states like PA where you have to buy beer by the case in Beer Distributors.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

LP97S posted:

That map is also misleading as it doesn't say anything about super markets that can sell beer and wine or about states like PA where you have to buy beer by the case in Beer Distributors.

I don't see how its misleading, if it was liquor stores per person than it might be misleading since it wouldn't be taken into account places that sell alcohol that aren't dedicated liquor stores(or states where alcohol can only be sold at dedicated stores). This is just bars vs grocery stores though, even if said grocery store can sell handles of booze, it's still catering to a different demographic than bars.

Now what constitutes a grocery store on that map is a good question though, as well as what is a bar.(I assume they went by places with permits for a full bar, but they could also just be using any establishment wit a license to serve alcohol)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It would be interesting to show it in terms of the actual ratio of bars to grocery stores, and to make the same map for (say) 20 years ago when you could still find towns with a number of small grocery stores instead of one big one.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Isle of Mann shouldn't really be the same colour as the UK given that
1. it isn't part of the UK and,
2. this sort of stuff is happening http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-22511962

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Shouldn't Austria be green for allowing civil unions (marriage in all but name)?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Riso posted:

Shouldn't Austria be green for allowing civil unions (marriage in all but name)?

Lacking adoption, no hate-crime law etc.
http://www.ilga-europe.org/media_library/ilga_europe/publications/reports_and_other_publications/rainbow_map_2013/index

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The best thing about that map is that it was outdated within month, and things are generally moving forward. Mostly on the gay front though, not so much the trans/intersex one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ekuNNN posted:

You're confusing Germany with the ECB and IMF :v:

Although, in serious terms, Germany is the economic powerhouse of Europe, and Britain and France are jointly the diplomatic and military powerhouses. It would be a shame if the UK were to withdraw from Europe.

Also, re the ILGA map, it's kind of awesome and depressing the UK are the best country in Europe, mostly because of the trans rights (we don't have gay marriage yet), even when those protections are somewhat paper thin. :smith:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Gas prices