Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Except that Hughes is young enough to still have a chance of getting better.

I guess if England are using Compton as a stop-gap until they can find a good young opener, that's not too bad. It would just leave me wondering why they've got Chopra floating around the edges if they don't think he's ready. If he gets in the team and makes it, you could get 7 years out of him & Cook opening before either get too old. Compton = Hick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I don't know what Bumble and Nasser are talking about. That ball looked dead out to me. Another life for England. They're looking terrible here.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cook sucks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Alistair Cook was batting like Chris Martin since lunch. Thank gently caress that's over.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I'm starting to think Australia made a bad decision by not including Johnson in the squad.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

OP please.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
There's a test match on. You can stop obsessing about the IPL now. :)

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

gently caress, I think Cricinfo have disabled comments on their articles about IPL spot fixing. I was going to spend half a day reading Indian fans' conspiracy theories.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That's a shame. I remember the Pakistan spot fixing scandal and thoroughly enjoyed reading about how it was a Zionist conspiracy to undermine the status of the subcontinent.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Oh My God, why have England become so poo poo? Why? loving dickheads, there is nothing special about this attack. Have at them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This is test match cricket and they're 105/2. New Zealand aren't exactly running rampant at the moment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They need to grind something out to settle themselves down after the colossal loving up they produced in New Zealand.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

notaspy posted:

Oh My God, why have England become so poo poo? Why? loving dickheads, there is nothing special about this attack. Have at them.

Slow pitch, heavy outfield combined with reasonably disciplined Kiwi bowling and overcautious batting with their NZ performances in mind. They're doing alright.

Boycott is loving this.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Trott sucks.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Has there been a rain delay or something

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Painkiller posted:

Slow pitch, heavy outfield combined with reasonably disciplined Kiwi bowling and overcautious batting with their NZ performances in mind. They're doing alright.

The problem is, if you get a good ball like Trott just did, you've lost another wicket and you still haven't scored many runs.
The bowling is disciplined, but there's a complete lack of effort to actually score runs from England.
If they'd been aggressive earlier on, McCullum would have had to react. As it is, he's been able to do things his way all day long.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, little Joey Root will save us.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Lionel Richie posted:

Has there been a rain delay or something

Metaphorically speaking, sure.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Painkiller posted:

Boycott is loving this.
Hes been amazing on TMS today. He went mental when Compton got dismissed and then started complaining that no one sent faxes anymore.

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
Englands batsman accepting that their job is to set the foundation for Prior to get a quick 150 tomorrow morning.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bell's going to look like a proper loving idiot when Boult & Southee take the new ball and he nicks one behind having blunted out 30 overs of shite from Martin & now Williamson.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
They've scored 3 singles off Martin's 120 balls. :catstare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bit of a difference between this and the IPL.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Did they think it was going to rain or something? NZ haven't bowled badly I suppose but not to the extent to justify this sort of scoring.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kingturnip posted:

Bell's going to look like a proper loving idiot when Boult & Southee take the new ball and he nicks one behind having blunted out 30 overs of shite from Martin & now Williamson.

hahahahahaha

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

kingturnip posted:

Didn't even get to the new ball.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lionel Richie posted:

Did they think it was going to rain or something? NZ haven't bowled badly I suppose but not to the extent to justify this sort of scoring.

I just came back from Kensington Gardens and it was raining a little, but also very sunny and pleasant. This session won't be delayed.

E: on the other hand I think I can see rain on camera. So who knows! Play for the draw lads.

E2: Well then.

RideTheSpiral fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 16, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

I just came back from Kensington Gardens and it was raining a little, but also very sunny and pleasant. This session won't be delayed.

Alright then mate, I trust you.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

England's play today has been logical, but it's the same sort of logic that causes species on isolated islands serious problems when exotic species arrive.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lionel Richie posted:

Alright then mate, I trust you.

I'm 2.5 miles from Lords and it is lovely and sunny. English weather. :yaycloud:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quality play today. Loved every minute of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

goatface posted:

Yeah IPL is poo poo and test cricket is awesome :D

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

goatface posted:

Yeah no one would bother spot fixing this shite... Any true England fan (i.e. utterly pessimistic) would have to be thinking, if the Kiwis can make us bat this badly, the Aussies will bend us over the table and have their way with our lily white arses.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I think England will win by an innings or 2

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Check out Shaun Tait's statement in regards to him not being involved in the spot fixing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-17/shaun-tait-speaks-on-india-scandal/4695394 posted:

Tait released a statement late last night saying he was very distressed with the way the allegations were spread online.

""I'm bewildered, I'm angry and I'm upset at the false suggestions I've been involved in any wrongdoing," the statement said.

"While I welcome the recent statements from police clearing me of any involvement, for a few hours today I was deeply distressed by the rumours that were rapidly circulating about me, most of which were aired in the social media space.
"Not only were they without foundation, they highlight the danger of a medium that deals with innuendo rather than fact, the result of which has brought my name into question.

"At no stage in my career have I engaged in spot or match fixing and I'm in discussions with my manager and legal representatives to examine how this episode unfolded and any further action I may take.

"I pride myself on playing cricket hard and fair and look forward to continuing my career in this vein."

Now, I know statements to the press don't resemble normal speech, but isn't this taking it too far? I mean, I doubt he understands half of the words in this statement... On the up-side, at least he didn't say he was "disappointed".

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So this 2.0 an over rabble is supposed to scare Australia into thinking an away Ashes win is impossible?

lol

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I don't know if you've realised this yet but New Zealand are better than Australia at test cricket right now.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Yeah I don't think so.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why not? Australia are loving dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
England playing for the draw from ball 1 today, pathetic. Really don't know how anybody could be excited for the Ashes, textbook case of Two Bad Teams playing 10(!) loving tests against each other in one season.

• Locked thread