Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

xzzy posted:

These two are pretty badass as a pair.. it's nearly an identical composition, but one feels about 30 years older than the other. It's kind of fun to flip back and forth and look at the differences.

Haha, that is a pretty cool observation. I wasn't really intending them to play off of each other. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

Hotwax Residue posted:

Thanks. I'm not sold on the black and white one, its not something I do that much of.

As a consumer of the image, I rate it.

I'm new to B&W as well, but I certainly appreciate what it can bring to an image - from an observer's point of view - and it's something that I have resolved to do more of.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Reprocessed some old shots. Screw final exams.

50mm bokkkkeh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shotton Open-Cast Coal Mine at Sunset by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Yeah I don't think I'm cut out to be a landscape photographer :o:

Was hoping for a nice sunset; clouds :mad:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like the idea of brooding clouds over a strip mine better than a beautiful sunset over a strip mine.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

Light might be a little harsh, try going back at dawn or sunset. :v:

Good plan

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Clouds are more interesting then a sunset tbh.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like it :)
Although I would like to see more of the ground/foreground

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Don't go chasing waterfalls. by benruset, on Flickr

Tin Roof -- Rusted. by benruset, on Flickr

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Valley by jkm3000, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I like your Shenendoah park set. I need tree pollen season to be over, so I can get out to Grayson and Claytor Lake more.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF1947.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2054.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2091.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Untitled by Haught, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Nautika Pride - Rough Weather by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Mod edit: MY TABLES

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 17, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ZippySLC posted:

I like the idea of brooding clouds over a strip mine better than a beautiful sunset over a strip mine.

somnambulist posted:

Clouds are more interesting then a sunset tbh.

How about a sunset over a mine... on Mars!?

Shotton Open Cast Mine at Sunset 1 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Plus a couple on the walk back:

Northumberlandia at Sunset 3 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Northumberlandia at Sunset 1 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

and a few more in that flickr set, but I don't want to spam too much

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 15, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Good Lord, that's amazing.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cape Horn Vista by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Pet Area by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ZippySLC posted:

Good Lord, that's amazing.

Tell you what is amazing? My <200 exposure new body that I've swapped the lens on twice having a massive dust bunny on the sensor, hence the pic vanishing from your quote! :mad:

Thankyou.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Dunno if I'm posting in this thread too much, but I went out and visited Sea Bright, a town on the Jersey Shore that got massively hosed by Hurricane Sandy. My first ever IT job was at a mom-n-pop computer store there, so the place holds a special affinity to me. These pics are depressing as hell, which is why I turned them all B&W and jacked up the contrast. I'm happy with how they came out.

Ocean Ave. by benruset, on Flickr

Six. by benruset, on Flickr

Shantytown. by benruset, on Flickr

Rest of series, plz.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Oh, Ektar. :allears:

Zion by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Question: Is there any real reason other than wanting it right 'in-camera' rather than 'in-photoshop' that you'd use ND grad filters rather than 2 exposures for ground and sky + some layering and masking in PS? I guess as a downside the latter means 2x the shooting time which might be significant if you're shooting with a heavy ND filter on top for misty water or streaky clouds.

http://newzealandphotographer.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/are-nd-grad-filters-dead-a-d800e-dynamic-range-landscape-field-test/

Pretty interesting, even if his D600e seems to be the current cream of the crop for dynamic range for pulling data out of a single image.

Asking as I put a bunch of Lee filter stuff in my Amazon basket and hells it isn't cheap when you add it all up :o:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know.. going by the image he put up, I like the one he took with the ND filter the best (except for the flare/smudge on the horizon). The ND shot has more pleasing contrast, though I guess he could have fixed that in LR too.

Don't really have an opinion on the in camera/post processing debate, other than the fact that I get really lazy when I'm sitting in front of the computer and quickly lose interest in fixing up photos. I don't mind working hard to use the camera, and if I can get close to my final vision while shooting I'm more likely to appreciate the photo later.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
It's honestly just about your own process or workflow. I enjoy post-processing, so I'm happy to just blend the odd exposure. If that ain't your bag, GND should do the trick.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
For me it is more about ease of operation. If I am hiking etc I dont want to be carrying a bunch of filters. I guess the upside to filters is that you dont need a tripod, or if the light or scene is changing quickly. Alternatively you have a lot more freedom with how the exposure is blended if you use 2 (or more) photos vs GND's but you are more limited in that you have to have a tripod etc.

For me there are certain times that have a GND filter would be nice but for me it is kind of hard to justify when using 2 exposures is "free".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Doing it in one shot also lessens the chance of anything moving in the frame and you having to do more post just to get it to match up right.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Question: Is there any real reason other than wanting it right 'in-camera' rather than 'in-photoshop' that you'd use ND grad filters rather than 2 exposures for ground and sky + some layering and masking in PS? I guess as a downside the latter means 2x the shooting time which might be significant if you're shooting with a heavy ND filter on top for misty water or streaky clouds.

http://newzealandphotographer.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/are-nd-grad-filters-dead-a-d800e-dynamic-range-landscape-field-test/

Pretty interesting, even if his D600e seems to be the current cream of the crop for dynamic range for pulling data out of a single image.

Asking as I put a bunch of Lee filter stuff in my Amazon basket and hells it isn't cheap when you add it all up :o:

Its probably at this point, preference of workflow. I personally filter it up and then adjust in post. Sure LR 4 is good at grads but its not better than cutting the light before it hits your sensors. You also dont have to worry about wind, or movement or cars or people or anything else that could potentially gently caress your images over.

Theres logic behind both camps. I prefer to just do it out in the field than rely on software.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Caution by Ashade76, on Flickr

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Just came back from a Norcal trip so here are some rocks for your perusal. Recently got a ND filter so I was playing around with that. As a whole, pretty underwhelmed with my efforts. Landscape photography is hard :mad: I was traveling with other people so waiting around for great light wasn't an option, which obviously doesn't make this easier

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 18, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

SnowWolf posted:

Just came back from a Norcal trip so here are some rocks for your perusal. Recently got a ND filter so I was playing around with that. As a whole, pretty underwhelmed with my efforts.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You got several great shots

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I also went on a trip!

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I did not go on a trip. Lots of great poo poo just 5 minutes from my place though so no complaints.

DSC_8311.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8306.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8229-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8268-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8205.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Verman posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You got several great shots

Seconded. If you're underwhelmed with those I'd love to see what you think is your best work. I bet it cures cancer when you show it to someone.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Took this january with a P&S, pretty happy!

Fitz Roy e El Chalten por primoitcho, no Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

DSCF0818-Edit.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Deli Snacks Beer by Ashade76, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I really like the tone/whatever it is of those pictures (my terminology sucks). Very easy on the eye.