Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
37 but I think this is the third full repeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.scribd.com/doc/141734044/White-House-Benghazi-Emails

The only change that's even slightly objectionable is that the CIA put in a little blip about how they've already produced a number of reports on threats in Benghazi and the State department wanted it removed:

quote:

Victoria Nuland, State Department: "In the same vein, why do we want Hill to be fingering Ansar al Sharia, when we aren't doing that ourselves until we have investigation results... and the penultimate point could be used by Members to beat the State Department for not paying attention to Agency warnings so why do we want to feed that? Concerned..."

quote:

David Adams, State Department: "I'm with Toria. The last bullet point especially will read to members like we had been repeatedly warned."

They also had originally named Al Qaeda as being part of the attacks but they decided to remove that part because they didn't want to invite followup questions of "How did you know?"

quote:

Victoria Nuland, State Department: "Are these for open or closed hearing? If open, the line about "knowing" there were extremists among the demonstrators will come back to us at podium - how do we know, who were they, etc... So I'll need answers to those if we deploy that line, tx.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Defenestration posted:

What are we up to, like 200 repeal votes now?

In other news, I suck at gimp

229-195? Really? There are 232 Republicans. They can't even bother showing up for these Obamacare repeals anymore. Hell, even in the unlikely scenario that they take the Senate in 2014, they'd need 290 to override a presidential veto. Anyone getting excited and forwarding that picture thinks that Obamacare is about to be repealed, and they should know that there is no scenario left where Obamacare isn't law. There is nothing they can do. Open the blood gates.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Agents are GO! posted:

Not strictly political, but this racist garbage just showed up on my timeline:

Dude posts a lot of Chemtrails type poo poo too. He seemed like such a nice guy in person... :(

I've never understood this stereotype or the fried chicken one. These are completely uncontroversial foodstuffs that practically everyone likes. Of course people are going to look a little dopey/avaricious while enjoying them, they're thrilled to be tits deep in some tasty food. You could just as easily make a "white people love them some KFC/Chick-fil-a" stereotype and be just as weird about it. "Oh yeah, wow man! Look at that cracker devouring that chicken sandwich, hahaha! Man, he's really enjoying that poo poo! Look at him, he looks like he's in loving heaven!"

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That is the best loving car in the world

e: huh, apparently I never got the wallpaper pack. Emailed the address given in your first monthly update.

fronz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 17, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Does anybody have a good reply for this "Obama treating Marines like golf caddies" horseshit?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Does anybody have a good reply for this "Obama treating Marines like golf caddies" horseshit?

Unfriend

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jesus, I would if I could.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

"Shut up."

I don't know about 'golf caddies' but like others have said a page ago most soldiers would give a nut to serve right next to the president regardless of context. Until Obama brings back the Groom of the Stool I think we're good.

Hell even then, Groom of the Stool was a pretty desired position then, gross but desired.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Would they be offended by the way a general is served by his troops? Whether their dumb asses like it or not, Obama is commander-in-chief of the armed forces. There is absolutely nothing strange about that situation at all and the fact that they think there is just proves them to be idiots. I'm sure those marines were glad to serve in any way because that's their job.

(Note: you may want to paraphrase)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Pope Guilty posted:

Those marines' job is almost literally to do things like hold an umbrella and look serious. They likely also really wanted and fought for the privilege to be in that position.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pope Guilty posted:

The "That's Racist" gif. Soldiers have served at the pleasure of the President for practically ever. You have to ask yourself why the President making use of an honor guard is noteworthy in this instance when it isn't in nearly any other instance. The answer is dead obvious, this time he happens to be black and seeing a white marine having to hold an umbrella for some uppity friend of the family pisses a lot of people off, though they won't word their complaint that way of course.

There isn't a serious issue of disagreeing with the point of an honor guard here. Society at large acknowledges their uses. Sending a babysitter home with dead bodies is sort of weird and unproductive for example, but dignity and honor are served by doing so, so it gets done. Meanwhile the leader of our country occasionally has to make speeches at uncovered spots in the rain. Someone has to hold the umbrella, and I can think of none better to bear that honorable distinction then our men in uniform.

Actually I take it back. Scalia deserves it more. Someone please get Scalia to hold the umbrella.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If Obama was holding his own umbrella those same people would be saying that he is a classless negro who doesn't know how to dignify the grand office he holds. They're just contrary fucktards so there's usually no point engaging with them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Here's the meat from a decent article on it.

quote:

Here is some background: There are usually four Marines detailed to the White House at any given time. They volunteer for what is considered the exclusive duty. Their main duty is to act as (mostly ceremonial) guards outside the West Wing lobby, where they open and close the door for White House officials.

They work in 30 minute shifts for as long as the president is working in the West Wing, finishing when he retires to his private quarters. They are a familiar sight to people who visit the White House and visible to tourists outside the gates on the Pennsylvania Avenue.

Attending events like Obama’s Rose Garden presser with Erdogan Thursday is another part of the Marines’ duties.

Neither the White House press office, nor a Marine Corp spokesman, Capt. Gregg Wolf, could immediately cite another example of Marine’s holding up umbrellas for a president and visiting dignitary.

But Wolf said it is “extremely rare.”

That's because male Marines normally aren’t allowed to handle umbrellas, which inhibit saluting, while in uniform, Wolf said.

But the Marines who helped out Obama Thursday need not worry. They were allowed to handle the umbrellas because the President requested it.

And I don't think this is Marines but

so having a military member hold an umbrella for a president isn't some new degrading thing Obummer dreamt up.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 17, 2013

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just ask them why they don't support our troops serving our country.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Nathilus posted:

I've never understood this stereotype or the fried chicken one. These are completely uncontroversial foodstuffs that practically everyone likes. Of course people are going to look a little dopey/avaricious while enjoying them, they're thrilled to be tits deep in some tasty food. You could just as easily make a "white people love them some KFC/Chick-fil-a" stereotype and be just as weird about it. "Oh yeah, wow man! Look at that cracker devouring that chicken sandwich, hahaha! Man, he's really enjoying that poo poo! Look at him, he looks like he's in loving heaven!"

I don't know about fried chicken, but watermelon came out of a sterotype that all black people are really lazy, and without a :sparkles:noble white man:sparkles: to keep them in line they would do nothing but drink booze and eat watermelons all day iirc.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

prahanormal posted:

I don't know about fried chicken, but watermelon came out of a sterotype that all black people are really lazy, and without a :sparkles:noble white man:sparkles: to keep them in line they would do nothing but drink booze and eat watermelons all day iirc.

That doesn't really explain why it's watermelon specifically, though; why that original stereotype had watermelon instead of some other food.

I thought the whole fried chicken and watermelon thing in particular, those specific foods, came about as a stereotype originally because those were common foods for lower class people in the South in general, so racist upper class people associated them with black people as a result?

Idran fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 17, 2013

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Pope Guilty posted:

Tell them that the Marines are a bunch of welfare leeches who couldn't get real jobs in the free market private sector of uncommunism, and that they should be grateful for the chance to be Obama's shoeshine boy. Play it by ear after that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I think this iswhat you were looking for:

When the President gives a speech in the rain, someone has to hold the umbrella. It's normal.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Idran posted:

That doesn't really explain why it's watermelon specifically, though; why that original stereotype had watermelon instead of some other food.

I thought the whole fried chicken and watermelon thing in particular, those specific foods, came about as a stereotype originally because those were common foods for lower class people in the South in general, so racist upper class people associated them with black people as a result?

Watermelons are because of slavery and fried chicken is because of Reconstruction.

The argument was that slaves weren't actually unhappy as slaves--all they needed was some shade and a nice treat. Watermelons became the symbol of the benevolent white farmer giving a delicious treat to his slaves, and how much they enjoyed them.

Fried Chicken is because black people during Reconstruction were as poor as you could possibly be. So all they had to eat was the leftover meats from the butchers--chicken gizzards, beaks, etc. The only way to make that stuff palatable at all is to fry it all up into chitlins. As farming practices improved and sharecropping and Jim Crow were slowly stamped out, black people could afford better food. But by then three generations had passed and fried chicken was a staple of black cultural cooking.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Goddamn, those images are awful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

XyloJW posted:

229-195? Really? There are 232 Republicans. They can't even bother showing up for these Obamacare repeals anymore. Hell, even in the unlikely scenario that they take the Senate in 2014, they'd need 290 to override a presidential veto. Anyone getting excited and forwarding that picture thinks that Obamacare is about to be repealed, and they should know that there is no scenario left where Obamacare isn't law. There is nothing they can do. Open the blood gates.

Actually that gives me a really good idea. The best response to something like this would be "Obamacare repealed? Wow, you really did it! I know how much you wanted to do that, congratulations! It's finally repealed how about that!"

Then they'll either have to part themselves on the back and forget about it, or sadly explain themselves that no, nothing actually changed.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Here's the meat from a decent article on it.

And I don't think this is Marines but

so having a military member hold an umbrella for a president isn't some new degrading thing Obummer dreamt up.

Those are Soviet troops, so I wouldn't use it as an example against the type of person who would re-post Umbrellagate.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

babies havin rabies posted:

Those are Soviet troops, so I wouldn't use it as an example against the type of person who would re-post Umbrellagate.

Those are British if not another commonwealth nation's troops. Soviet Troops didn't salute like that. Nor did they have uniforms styled like that.

Looks like they are from the Bermuda Regiment possibly.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound rude if I did, just that if someone wanted to use this picture, they easily could without worry about someone calling them out for Soviet troops or some other bullshit. I'm sure regardless of nationality, the same idiots that lap up the "man servant" argument will make one about how American troops are on a separate caste level or some other bullshit.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 17, 2013

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Those are British if not another commonwealth nation's troops. Soviet Troops didn't salute like that. Nor did they have uniforms styled like that.

Looks like they are from the Bermuda Regiment possibly.

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound rude if I did, just that if someone wanted to use this picture, they easily could without worry about someone calling them out for Soviet troops or some other bullshit. I'm sure regardless of nationality, the same idiots that lap up the "man servant" argument will make one about how American troops are on a separate caste level or some other bullshit.

You're OK. I originally found that image on a site that labeled them as Soviet, but I can't find it again and will admit I didn't do due-diligence beyond that.

For content:

Simply :wtc:. I prepared an image macro response with the identical phrasing and Custer's Army in the background, but not really sure if I should bother.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 17, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Walter posted:

Goddamn, those images are awful.

The last one just looks like a couple of cute kids sleeping after eating too much watermelon to me v:shobon:v

I am bad at racism.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

babies havin rabies posted:

Simply :wtc:. I prepared an image macro response with the identical phrasing and Custer's Army in the background, but not really sure if I should bother.

Do it. Just loving do it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The last one just looks like a couple of cute kids sleeping after eating too much watermelon to me v:shobon:v

I am bad at racism.

The evil part is the message across the bottom "Don't wake the babies." The message is "The White Man's Burden is to take care of the black slaves, and if you set them free, they'd be unhappy and not able to take care of themselves.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah.

"gently caress you."

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The response I've been using is: "That's Turkey's Prime Minister. Our troops are supported by operations originating from US Air Force Bases in Turkey. Without the cooperation of the Turkish government, our troops will suffer. Why do you hate our troops?"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Just ask them why they don't support our troops serving our country.

This is a brilliant response.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do it. Just loving do it.

I hope you did it babies havin rabies because jesus it had to be done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think in the pics thread someone posted a bunch of pics of Marines holding umbrellas for presidents, including Reagan, blessed is his name. I'd say a pic of His High Holiness underneath a Marine-held umbrella should shut them the gently caress up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Snoggle posted:

Tell them that the Marines are a bunch of welfare leeches who couldn't get real jobs in the free market private sector of uncommunism, and that they should be grateful for the chance to be Obama's shoeshine boy. Play it by ear after that.

This is perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zoux posted:

I think in the pics thread someone posted a bunch of pics of Marines holding umbrellas for presidents, including Reagan, blessed is his name. I'd say a pic of His High Holiness underneath a Marine-held umbrella should shut them the gently caress up.

Reagan et all were white.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
It's not like the right's favorite jackoff material is holdinger her own umbrella:

If hypocrisy could crush people this woman would be able to fit through a pinhole.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

13stitches posted:

It's not like the right's favorite jackoff material is holdinger her own umbrella:

If hypocrisy could crush people this woman would be able to fit through a pinhole.

Naw, that's fine you see because

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

zoux posted:

Where is this thread?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

13stitches posted:

She'd be a subatomic particle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

To be fair, I bet they wouldn't have said anything if it were an aide or even Secret Service holding the umbrellas. It simply comes out of "I respect random Marines more than the President", combined with the attitude that Marines/the military fulfill a literally sacred/sublime role as warriors, and should therefore be above such "menial tasks" as holding an umbrella.

Except when you remind them that these Marines have probably cleaned hundreds of latrines between the two of them, and that the average soldier is literally a butler/janitor in everyday military life, and that role is under indirect orders from the President as the Commander in Chief. If the President didn't want Marines to clean their own mess halls and heads because such sacred warriors are above such tasks, he could easily command it so and hire janitors.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 17, 2013