Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The San Marcos Engineers take the '95 version of Barry Larkin with the 25th overall selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Viscount Slim posted:

Sold!

The fool! Little does he know I shall mash the two Vereseses together to create a sort of Grand Maester of the bullpen. I scoff at the temporal consequences!

Cool. Enjoy your Vereses. I will enjoy my Ankiel.

But seriously: I have a use for your Ray Lankford. What can I give you for him?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

With the 26th pick in the dispersal draft, the Carolina Llamas select Rick Reuschel '77

Manifunk Destiny and the Indianapolis Generals are now on the clock.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 16, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

They say that the evil that men do lives after them...

Owner: The Merry Marauder
Home Grounds: Ithaqua Field

Teams Used
1938 New York Yankees
1964 Philadelphia Phillies
2006 San Diego Padres

Past Records
Super-League VI
85-77, 3rd Place, Mark Bellhorn Division, Survived
Super-League VII
90-72, Mark Bellhorn Division Champions
Defeated Ryleh Cultists 3-1 in SLDS
Lost to Chicago Bobbleheads 1-4 in SLCS
Super-League VIII
86-76, Mark Bellhorn Division Champions
Defeated Lombard St. Gumshoes 3-2 in SLDS
Defeated South Bolton Eazy W's 4-1 in SLCS
Lost to Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 0-4 in SLVIII Finals
Super-League IX
74-88, 5th Place, Mark Bellhorn Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VIII
Round 3: 19-21, 3rd Place, Relegated

Championships won
1x Smasher League Championship (Super-League VIII)
2x Mark Bellhorn Division Championship (Super-League VII, VIII)
3x Heavyweight Champions
1x Intercontinental Champions
1x Television Champions

Obit

The Phoenixes die, the Finger-Bangers live. Sun rise, sun set. Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie, strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low. Amen.

P.S. Can we just make a new rule that I only have to do an obit when either an owner leaves the league for good, or when a really good team dies? That would be awesome.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Smasher Dynamo posted:

P.S. Can we just make a new rule that I only have to do an obit when either an owner leaves the league for good, or when a really good team dies? That would be awesome.

Totes! Or if you have a really good idea, of course.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I for one am down with that idea!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Sounds like a good plan to me.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Let's be honest, you never got a good idea for my New Orleans Hurricanes and it deserved nothing but a hasty burial in a shallow grave somewhere when they got relegated. The Don Slaught gimmick grew legs though, which I suppose is that team's most enduring legacy besides THE Thornton Lee.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
MORE LIKE SLACKER DYNAMO

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If anyone wants to trade a draft pick I can move 1983 Frank Tanana - skyhawks anchor rotation- and, say, Barry Zito or relief pitching or an outfielder or something. Contact me in IRC.

Back of round 2 is fine btw, maybe early round three.

VVVV: Ah poo poo your right, sorry I could have sworn! Still, he's a pretty good pitcher.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 17, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If anyone wants to trade a draft pick I can move 1983 Frank Tanana - skyhawks anchor rotation, same year as the one from the redemption gauntlet

That's not true. Skyhawks run the '77 Angels.

More to the point, it's post-injury junkballing Tanana.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 17, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Manifunk, I could give you a year to make a pick, and it would take you 18 months.

The Indianapolis Generals take Jim Bunning (R-KY), in hopes that he will keep you in line.

mks5000, it's your pick.

The spreadsheet

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cannot believe that this guy is available in the 2nd round. The Southie Hitmen select:

1902 Napoleon Lajoie

Pungry, you're up!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Will there be anyone worth taking by the time I select in three picks? :ohdear: The suspense!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

oldskool posted:

Will there be anyone worth taking by the time I select in three picks? :ohdear: The suspense!

No. All your draft picks are worthless, so give me one for my baby Vlad

Viscount Slim: Still waiting to hear back what kind of spare part you'd like for your 2000 Ray Lankford

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

FairGame posted:

Viscount Slim: Still waiting to hear back what kind of spare part you'd like for your 2000 Ray Lankford

How about a PTBNL deal - after you finalize your 30-man roster, I'll grab two from the leftovers who didn't make the cut?

Veteran teams don't have a roster limit, so there's the value added.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Viscount Slim posted:

How about a PTBNL deal - after you finalize your 30-man roster, I'll grab two from the leftovers who didn't make the cut?

Veteran teams don't have a roster limit, so there's the value added.

Deal. At present I don't even have 30 people worth keeping on my roster, though I'm hoping that changes with my last 3 picks.

St. Louis Self-Congratulators trade 2 PTBNL from their unused feeder rosters for 2000 Ray Lankford.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

With the 29th pick in the draft, the Penguins select '89 Ryne Sandberg. I needed a big hitter who could field as well since I'm apparently in the non-DH league.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Robert_Deadford and the Krakow Dragons are up.

e: I have the 39th overall pick, and I like to move that one up four or five picks. I also have the Walney Raker's second round Super-Draft pick to go with it, if someone around 34 or 35 feels like getting another pick to move down five picks.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2013

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Speaking of trades, I have the 41st pick and am putting out feelers for what people would offer for that. It's too valuable to start drafting at that position for my biggest need, which is a new bullpen, but not so valuable that I'd think I'll get a true starter. Conversely, you might be looking at something that may be gone before the third round starts, so let's talk.

Edit: this is my lineup with the addition of an 89 McGwire at 1B. I don't mind moving down a few slots, but I'd want a bullpen-in-a-box if not a pick, which I suspect won't happen. But I can try. I am on IRC and if you message me there we can talk shop or something.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kw0134 posted:

Speaking of trades, I have the 41st pick and am putting out feelers for what people would offer for that. It's too valuable to start drafting at that position for my biggest need, which is a new bullpen, but not so valuable that I'd think I'll get a true starter. Conversely, you might be looking at something that may be gone before the third round starts, so let's talk.

Depending on how things shake out over the next few picks, I might be willing to move my pick 44 and pick 96 (2nd to last) to hop up 3 slots.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

kw0134 posted:

What are you looking for? Picks? I might be willing to trade up but don't know what you want or what team you run

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

kw0134 posted:

I'm looking to trade into the draft, and I have a pile of pitching still available. '83 Dodgers, '99 Jays, '18 Cubs. Only Pete Alexander is untradeable.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Robert_Deadford and the Krakow Dragons are up.

e: I have the 39th overall pick, and I like to move that one up four or five picks. I also have the Walney Raker's second round Super-Draft pick to go with it, if someone around 34 or 35 feels like getting another pick to move down five picks.

The Oranges at 33 32 are willing to listen. Depends on what you do with 32 31 and what Deadford does.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

mrnoun posted:

I'm looking to trade into the draft, and I have a pile of pitching still available. '83 Dodgers, '99 Jays, '18 Cubs. Only Pete Alexander is untradeable.

I'd probably be interested, depending on who you have available and who's left on the draft board by the time my next pick comes around.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

oldskool posted:

The Oranges at 33 32 are willing to listen. Depends on what you do with 32 31 and what Deadford does.

Just so I'm clear: you have 0 interest in my 12-year-old Vlad for any pick, right? And were just loving with me?

Because otherwise he's probably going on my AAA roster because why not

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FairGame posted:

Just so I'm clear: you have 0 interest in my 12-year-old Vlad for any pick, right? And were just loving with me?

Because otherwise he's probably going on my AAA roster because why not

I'm honestly still deciding if a flyer on an outfielder (your Vlad) or whatever scrap pitchers are left in round four is the better investment. Don't mean to keep you waiting, if you get an offer in the interim feel free to take it over waiting on me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

oldskool posted:

I'm honestly still deciding if a flyer on an outfielder (your Vlad) or whatever scrap pitchers are left in round four is the better investment. Don't mean to keep you waiting, if you get an offer in the interim feel free to take it over waiting on me.

If you'd rather keep your pick, I'd just use your pick for a bullpen guy. Can you link me your roster? Maybe there's some bullpen dudes I could take.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Totally not a front for the Sinaloa cartel!

Owner: Bograt
Home Grounds: Jack Murphy Stadium

Teams Used
1989 Padres
1990 Dodgers
1987 Yankees
2006 Reds

Past Records
Expansion Cup VIII
90-72, Downing Division Champions
Lost to CERN Colliders 3-4 in EC Semi-Finals
Super-League IX
74-88, 4th Place, Senor Goodtimes Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VIII
Round 4: 18-22, 3rd Place, Relegated

Championship History
2x Television Champions

Amazing Facts About the "Amazing" Players of the Tijuana Mules!

Catchers

'33 Gabby Hartnett

Most have forgotten it, but Gabby Hartnett was best known during his playing career for assembling a crack game of "Untouchables" to take down Al Capone, who...wait, that was Elliott Ness. Eh, close enough.

'90 Benito Santiago

Has played for every Major League team, including three that were subsequently retroactively erased from baseball by the cruel-hearted Bud Selig in his mad scheme to force the introduction of Inter-League play with his horrible Time Cannon.

'90 Mike Scioscia

Made two appearances on The Simpsons, one of which was good, the other of which is best forgotten. He is currently engaged in an important experiment to see how long a manager can coast on winning a World Series. He's currently in the 11th year of that experiment.

Infielders

'06 Rich Aurilia (SS)

By 2006, knowing that his career was on the downswing, Rich Aurilia tried to reinvent himself as the grittiest player to ever play baseball. He started chewing tobacco, and began to ape the mannerisms and look of Sam Elliott's character in Roadhouse, going so far as to beat up Terry Funk to truly get into that spirit. Unfortunately, his grittiness went too far one day when he decided to deliver a flying clothesline to a second baseman trying to turn a double play, breaking the man's neck in the process.

'82 Buddy Bell (3B)

Ironically, "Buddy" is actually his real name, and it's the "Bell" part that's a stage name. His real name was "Buddy Reynolds", but when he was coming up with the Indians, it was decided by Indians management that he needed a "hook" to get over with the fans, and so he was repackaged as "Buddy Bell", purportedly the son of former Major Leaguer Gus Bell. It worked out great for Buddy although, it must be said, an attempt to continue the Bell Dynasty with David Bell was largely a disappointment.

'89 John Kruk (1B)

Many have pointed to the irony of John Kruk only discovering his testicular cancer when he was hit in the groin by an errant Mitch Williams pickoff throw. What few know, however, is that the cancer was revealed by that throw...it was created by that throw. By the 1994 pre-season, when the incident happened, Mitch Williams' skills had degraded to the point where his very pitches were now literally toxic, causing death and injury to any who came in contact with them. Realizing the danger the league was in, Bud Selig, acting quickly, sent Williams to the California Angels, where there was nothing of value for Williams to harm. Some say, though, that it was these dealings with the poisonous Mitch Williams that drove Bud Selig mad, leading to the Time Cannon incident (see note on Benito Santiago).

The MACHINE (2B)

If only I had built him a little better...

'87 Don Mattingly (1B)

Donnie Baseball's career with the Yankees lasted from 1982 to 1995. The Yankees won pennants in 1981 and 1996. I'm not saying anything, but the numbers don't lie.

'90 Eddie Murray (1B)

Eddie Murray is NOT Eddie Murphy. Even though their careers both peaked at the same time, and then petered out into nothing by the late '90s, leaving everyone with a vague sense of dissatisfaction.

'87 Willie Randolph (2B)

Did you know that Willie Randolph was the manager of the Mets for four seasons? The New York Mets would prefer you did not.

'90 Willie Randolph (2B)

Willie Randolph played over a decade for the Yankees in the Steinbrenner era, and this wasn't the modern Steinbrenner era, this was the "I'm going to fire Billy Martin seven times just because I can" era. Not sure how Randolph pulled that off, but it is kind of ominous, isn't it?

'84 Cal Ripken, Jr. (SS)

How did Ripken play so many games in a row? By slowly consuming the souls of all around him...even his brother Billy was not spared.

In happier news, Cal Ripken, Jr. had a cameo in Season Five of The Wire, playing a bureaucrat whose incompetence leads to seventy people getting killed in a drug deal gone wrong...somehow.

'89 Bip Roberts (3B)

Bip got his name by doing things. Terrible things. Let us discuss the matter no further.

'89 Garry Templeton (SS)

Garry Templeton was traded for Ozzie Smith, in what, at the time, was not considered a particularly imbalanced trade since, unlike Smith, Templeton seemed to actually have a bit of potential as a hitter. That didn't work out for the Padres or for Templeton. As time went on, and Smith's star continued to eclipse Templeton's, Garry grew more and more embittered. Things finally came to a head when Ozzie Smith got featured on an episode of "The Simpsons", leading to Templeton contracting a local scientist to build a "Time Cannon" to erase Smith from history. Unfortunately, the cannon eventually fell into the hands of Bud Selig...

Outfielders

'06 Adam Dunn (LF)

Did you know that Adam Dunn hold a doctorate in baseballonomy from the University of Phoenix?

'89 Tony Gwynn (RF)

Tony Gwynn was the original bass player for The Pretenders. Look it up!

'87 Rickey Henderson (LF)

Rickey Henderson stole more bases than anyone in history...but that could not save him Monique, the French Femme Fatale that stole his heart. Read more about it in Rickey Henderson's semi-autobiographial debut novel, "A Leadoff to Remember."

'87 Tim Raines (LF)

Tim "Rock" Raines was considered a sabermetric darling....a decade before that meant much of anything. Poor Tim.

'83 Dave Winfield (RF)

Most people remember Dave Winfield winning a championship with the Blue Jays in '92, but few remember the events leading up to that moment, including his career-defining feud with George Steinbrenner than culminated in a "Loser Leaves the Country" match at Survivor Series '91, which Winfield lost after interference from a young Bernie Williams.

'87 Dave Winfield (RF)

Most people remember Dave Winfield winning a championship with the Blue Jays in '92, but few remember the events leading up to that moment. Dave Winfield, for most of his career, had secretly been working for the CIA, but when he discovered that several of his superior officers had gone rogue, he was forced to flee to Canada until such time as he could bring them down from the inside.

Starting Pitchers

'90 Tim Belcher

Tim Belcher would like you all to know that he no longer bears any ill will to members of the Asian community. None at all. He's totally cool with them now. Okay? Okay.

'15 Eddie Cicotte

You know how people still debate whether or not Joe Jackson actually helped throw the '19 World Series, and was sympathetically portrayed in Field of Dreams and Eight Men Out. Yeah, Cicotte was super-guilty.

'12 Stan Coveleski

As a boy, Coveleski worked in the mines for 200 hours a week. This was made possible by the fact that people were much worse at math in those days.

'90 Tim Crews

When he was fifteen years old, a gypsy at the county fair that he would one day slam his speedboat right into dock. This was an oddly specific prediction, but Tim Crews was never one to meekly submit to destiny.

Guess what happened next?

'89 Mark Davis

Mark Davis won the NL Cy Young in 1989. And then signed a huge free agent contract with the Kansas City Royals. These two events were clearly portents of the apocalypse but a band of elite players, under the leadership of famed numerologist Darren Daulton, managed to reverse the coming Ragnarok by smiting Ewing Kauffman, thereby dooming the Royals to eternal poverty and restoring balance to the world.

'92 Juan Guzman

Juan Guzman spent most of his post-playing career desperately trying to erase himself from the public consciousness. His reasons for doing so are still unknown.

'89 Greg Harris

Greg Harris invented the fish taco.

'90 Orel Hershiser

Technically, it's Orel Hershiser IV, and yes, Orel named one of his kids Orel Hershiser V. What kind of family does that sort of poo poo?

'89 Bruce Hurst

Bruce Hurst only sounds like some sort of evil aristocrat. In reality, though being a wicked man, he was of modest means.

'53 Bob Lemon

A teammate once bet Bob Lemon that Lemon couldn't kill a man in cold blood.

It was the last bet that teammate ever made.

'87 Dave Righetti

Dave Righetti once ate a five-pound burrito in one sitting.

He has accomplished nothing else of merit in his life.

'33 Hal Schumacher

Schumacher was known as "Prince Hal" by the press, most likely because of his longstanding rivalry with the ghost of Sir Henry Percy, better known as Hotspur, who was brought back to this plane by the magics of Owen Glendower.

'90 Fernando Valenzuela

Fernando-mania is now a recognized mental disorder as of the DSM-V.

'90 John Wetteland

There's nothing funny to say about John Wetteland. In fact, he's so unfunny that I now have to end this obit right now.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Away from home at the moment, so no banner but....

The Krakow Dragons select 1921 Carl Mays! Mentholmoose is on the clock.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

The Bombers select with the 32nd overall pick, '36 Ernie Lombardi.

oldskool posted:

If you're still interested, I'll officially offer a :siren: trade :siren: :

The Oranges receive:

The 39th overall pick
The Walney Raker's second-round SuperDraft pick

The Bombers receive:

The 33rd overall pick

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

:siren: trade :siren: :

The Oranges receive:

The 39th overall pick
The Walney Raker's second-round SuperDraft pick

The Bombers receive:

The 33rd overall pick

Trade accepted with extreme hesitation. The guy I want is still on the board, he probably won't be by #39, but he's really just depth so I think I'll be happier with at worst a seventh-best choice here in round 2 and an extra second-round pick in the SuperDraft.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Alright, then with the 33rd pick, the Bombers take '69 Ron Santo.

Beet and the Somali Pirates are up.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Well, the move up to 34 turned out to be kind of pointless at first glance, but we'll see what's left at 42. In any event, with the 34th pick, the Somali Pirates draft:

1902 Rube Waddell

A wildcard at best, but let's see what happens.

You're up, Revenant Threshold.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Number 35, Larry Walker '97!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

You all said it couldn't be done! Or maybe just that it shouldn't be done...

In either case, I present to you, the brackets for the first-ever Super-League Cup!

And yeah, we'll do pick 'em for the brackets.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

That is more brackets than a man was ever meant to see. Brackets that blot out the stars in the night sky. Brackets...beyond brackets...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Cheering on Oneida in this whole thing.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I am incredibly disappointed that my Llamas are only a 13 seed. Are there really that many teams worse than them? Also pick em for that will be amazing (assuming I don't miss a round and fall horrifically behind again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Super-League Cup!

You have entirely too much time/ambition.