Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, y'all remember how the Koch Brothers rented/bought Buzzfeed? Apparently Buzzfeed's editor-in-chief has a long history with them.

Jesus Christ.

A banner advertising the Koch Institute as:

A place of "Dialogue & Discovery for Societal Well-Being and Progress."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Ben Smith was one of the more noxious hacks at Politico (which is no mean feat) prior to failing upward to the non-Cracked list site.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Jesus Christ.

A banner advertising the Koch Institute as:

A place of "Dialogue & Discovery for Societal Well-Being and Progress."

"If you can't afford us, get the gently caress out" Would probably be more apt.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Social justice isn't justice. It's harassment. - Rush Limbaugh 5/16/2013

I had to laugh at that one because words have different meetings in Crazytown. Probably not the first time he's raged against the term, but wow.

Wikipedia posted:

A socially just society is one based upon the principles of equality and solidarity; which pedagogy also maintains that a socially just society both understands and values human rights, as well as recognizing the dignity of every human being.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, y'all remember how the Koch Brothers rented/bought Buzzfeed? Apparently Buzzfeed's editor-in-chief has a long history with them.

Well that explains this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/ronald-reagan-yolo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Don't the Koch companies sponsor PBS programs? I swear I've watched Nova or Nature and been told it's been brought to me, in part, by the Koch Foundation or something.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Wiki seems to say so

quote:

Koch contributed $7 million to the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) show Nova,[35] and is a contributor to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., including a $20 million gift to the American Museum of Natural History, creating the David H. Koch Dinosaur Wing and a contribution of $15 million to the National Museum of Natural History to create the new David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins, which opened on the museum's 100th anniversary of its location on the National Mall on March 17, 2010.[36] In 2012, Koch contributed US $35 million to the Smithsonian to build a new dinosaur exhibition hall at the National Museum of Natural History.[37]

Consider me pleasantly surprised.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

Wiki seems to say so

Too bad that only rich kids will ever get to see those museum exhibits because all the poor kids will be dead if the Kochs get their way on taxes and "government intervention" into their already-massive profits.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nckdictator posted:

Wiki seems to say so

The Koch brothers actually donate a great deal of money to a number of worthy causes. If they'd give up on playing politics and try to save the world like Bill Gates does, I'd like them much better.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Koch brothers basically want to keep Americans from being dependent on the government by making them dependent on the Koch brothers.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
PBS, NPR, etc know who pays a good chunk of their bills; and this affects who they will and will not cover in a negative light.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

McDowell posted:

PBS, NPR, etc know who pays a good chunk of their bills; and this affects who they will and will not cover in a negative light.

I don't know, Frontline has done a number of scathing reports on the conservative power machine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I just want to thank the Amerigoons who linked Maddows blog.
It's the most entertaining thing I've put in my Facebook feed since George Takei. :v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nckdictator posted:

Wiki seems to say so

Initially read that as the David H. Koch Hall of Human Organs

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

I don't know, Frontline has done a number of scathing reports on the conservative power machine.

Frontline is actual investigative journalism while the daily NPR/PBS news programs aren't. Nothing beats tuning in to NPR to hear about how fracking is pretty good and then they end the segment with a not-commercial telling you "NPR is brought to you by [oil company] and listeners like you".

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

zeroprime posted:

Frontline is actual investigative journalism while the daily NPR/PBS news programs aren't. Nothing beats tuning in to NPR to hear about how fracking is pretty good and then they end the segment with a not-commercial telling you "NPR is brought to you by [oil company] and listeners like you".

Well, even then it's pretty show-by-show. For example, Diane Rehm REALLY likes to discuss fracking, it comes up all the time and while she always has some oil-company shill there to present their argument, he always seems to end up on the defensive from Diane and the other guests. And my local news commentator guy also is out for oil company blood on the fracking issue (Dan Rodricks on WYPR, Baltimore) despite NPR's sponsors. But yeah, I've totally heard some ridiculous bullshit spouted before on All Things Considered and ESPECIALLY Marketplace.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As opposed to Planet Money brought to you by Ally Bank?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Initially read that as the David H. Koch Hall of Human Organs

I'm sure there's one of those.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
While it would be nice if the feds funded NPR, APM, PRI, PBS, etc more, I have very few issues with their reporting especially when compared to everything else on radio and television. Unless you've got a Pacifica station in your town, NPR is probably as good as it gets. You can nitpick some of their biases, but in general they're quite good for the United States.

Like yesterday, Marketplace, of all the shows, had Rumsfeld and Kai had some very good questions shoved into a six minute interview.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/big-book/three-life-rules-donald-rumsfeld

Phone posted:

As opposed to Planet Money brought to you by Ally Bank?

They're still just a podcast, right?

edit

Anyway, back on topic. It would seem the right is back to being its usual petty self and hasn't learned how to manage itself enough to seem to not be children.

http://wonkette.com/516692/guest-post-from-a-u-s-marine-about-barack-obamas-shocking-and-disgusting-use-of-an-umbrella

or, if you want it from the source: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/17/was-it-against-uniform-protocol-for-the-marine-to-hold-obamas-umbrella/

Holy poo poo are these people willfully ignorant. Like that Marine is supposed to go, "I'm sorry sir, I am unable to shield you from the rain because of the UCMJ uniform standards that only apply to myself."

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 17, 2013

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

They frequently contribute segments to All Things Considered and recently, the horrible disability reporting on This American Life.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Apparently it was republicans that altered the Benghazi e-mail stream?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/16/republicans-benghazi-emails_n_3289428.html?icid=maing-grid7

poor nose fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 17, 2013

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyway, back on topic. It would seem the right is back to being its usual petty self and hasn't learned how to manage itself enough to seem to not be children.

http://wonkette.com/516692/guest-post-from-a-u-s-marine-about-barack-obamas-shocking-and-disgusting-use-of-an-umbrella

or, if you want it from the source: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/17/was-it-against-uniform-protocol-for-the-marine-to-hold-obamas-umbrella/

Holy poo poo are these people willfully ignorant. Like that Marine is supposed to go, "I'm sorry sir, I am unable to shield you from the rain because of the UCMJ uniform standards that only apply to myself."

Didn't the right wing media pull this same stunt with Bill Clinton as well? I remember something about how marines right-faced towards Bush and didn't do it for Clinton or whatever.

Manufactured outrage about the dumbest poo poo ever.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

While it would be nice if the feds funded NPR, APM, PRI, PBS, etc more, I have very few issues with their reporting especially when compared to everything else on radio and television. Unless you've got a Pacifica station in your town, NPR is probably as good as it gets. You can nitpick some of their biases, but in general they're quite good for the United States.

Like yesterday, Marketplace, of all the shows, had Rumsfeld and Kai had some very good questions shoved into a six minute interview.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/big-book/three-life-rules-donald-rumsfeld

edit

This is the single most petty thing I have ever seen made into a news story.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Warchicken posted:

Didn't you know Obama puts DIJON MUSTARD ON HIS HAMBURGER!?!?!?!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Angry Bum posted:

I'll bet he doesn't microwave every single meal, either!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
They're just upset Obama didn't pull a President Harrison.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nonsense posted:

What if the Koch Bros. bought CNN?

How do you know they haven't already?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Angry Bum posted:

:siren: ELITIST SNOBBERY DETECTED!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Angry Bum posted:

Hamburger? What, is the MUSLIM too good for a hotdog?
Where did this fixation on presidential eating habits come from, anyways?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Mister Macys posted:

Zachary Taylor?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

this is where I think that meme originated

Did anyone other than hannity care?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warchicken posted:

American amd Turkish president hold a presser over issues bringing us to the brink of World War 3.

'Lookit dem marines with the umbrellas!'

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 17, 2013

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

edit

I love the completely straightfaced discussion over whether or not it was against protocol for the marines to hold umbrellas, as though they are logic-powered robots whose brains would implode if they were forced to violate the fourth law of marine dressware. They're so willing to blame anything, anything at all on Obama that "Did some arbitary set of rules that don't matter at all become violated, and was it his fault?" seems like something that they think is important enough to think about for more than five seconds. It really says all you need to know about whether the hard right has any opinions worth listening to.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Mister Macys posted:

It's not a new phenomenon.

The United States of Arugula posted:

"The advisers to the Whig presidential candidate of 1840, William Henry Harrison, tried to smear the Democratic incumbent, Martin Van Buren, as a fey monarchist aristocrat--on the evidence that he drank champagne and had hired a Frenchman to be White House chef. The scrappy old soldier Harrison, on the other hand, subsisted on "hard cider" and "raw beef and salt," and won the election."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hard cider, raw beef and salt probably didn't help his chances with the pneumonia, as it were.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I love the completely straightfaced discussion over whether or not it was against protocol for the marines to hold umbrellas, as though they are logic-powered robots whose brains would implode if they were forced to violate the fourth law of marine dressware. They're so willing to blame anything, anything at all on Obama that "Did some arbitary set of rules that don't matter at all become violated, and was it his fault?" seems like something that they think is important enough to think about for more than five seconds. It really says all you need to know about whether the hard right has any opinions worth listening to.

It's a clear violation of the USMC code of conduct for our brave fightman killhavers to at any time not be engaged in activities pertaining to

1) killing
2) maintaining readiness to kill

What if North Korea had launched its invasion of America while that Marine was holding Obama's umbrella? He has compromised the mission of the armed forces of America and for that reason I demand his immediate resignation, backdated to five years ago.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ClothHat posted:

It's not a new phenomenon.
I find it hard to not get worked up over this presidential eating habit:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Yeah, this is now starting to explode in the media, as people seem to be generally sick of the scandal-mongering by the GOP.

They quite literally were doctoring the Benghazi emails, and got caught and called out on it by CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0alg-WAdE

They are so obsessed with creating fake and exaggerated scandals to smear the whitehouse with that they created a scandal of their own about doctoring materials to create fake scandals.

Not that the GOP had any credibility, but this torpedoes any pretend moral highgrounding that they had regarding any of the scandals that they're trying to pin on the whitehouse.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The best part is that the Marine didn't violate the dress code. Just because you wear a dress uniform doesn't mean every day items like umbrellas suddenly become radioactive. A Marine can hold an umbrella for some one else. It's only a violation if he holds it for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mdemone posted:

Hard cider, raw beef and salt probably didn't help his chances with the pneumonia, as it were.

Yeah well at least he's not some hoity-toity champagne drinking, French chef having monarchist! :911: