Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Luffy from One Piece is voiced by a woman, for example.

Goku and Gohan as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Luffy from One Piece is voiced by a woman, for example.

Luffy is voiced by Krillin from DBZ.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

American cartoons often have young kids voiced by women as well. Just look at Bart Simpson.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Davincie posted:

American cartoons often have young kids voiced by women as well. Just look at Bart Simpson.

I think the issue people have is that Armin isn't really supposed to be that young.

She sounds fine as Armin to me, though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

I think the issue people have is that Armin isn't really supposed to be that young.

She sounds fine as Armin to me, though.

Goku starts off 14 and ends up like 40. Luffy is 19. The list goes on, really.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Eh, I don't really think you need to keep educating me on the prevalence of female voice actresses. It's just not all that common these days unless the show has a time jump from child to adult somewhere, so I was wondering if Titan had one coming up as well. Mind you, I'm still fuzzy on what ages they're supposed to be right now.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Given that this is all about shonen tropes, I'd guesstimate their ages to be around 14-16.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

darkgray posted:

Eh, I don't really think you need to keep educating me on the prevalence of female voice actresses. It's just not all that common these days unless the show has a time jump from child to adult somewhere, so I was wondering if Titan had one coming up as well. Mind you, I'm still fuzzy on what ages they're supposed to be right now.

They're all ~15. They joined the academy when they were 12 and just graduated after 3 years.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Official ages for the trainees are all between 15 and 19.

If I remember correctly, Armin is one of the youngest and either Reiner or Berthold are the oldest.

Edit: whoops, it was 17 not 19:

Pensive fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 17, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Eren's a lot smaller than I thought. Good on Mikasa not being 100lbs though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pensive posted:

If I remember correctly, Armin is one of the youngest and either Reiner or Berthold are the oldest.

Wait, Misaka has a completely plausible body weight for a 5'7" woman built like a MMA fighter? What black sorcery is this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If the next episode doesn't devote half its time to Sasha I'm out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, Misaka has a completely plausible body weight for a 5'7" woman built like a MMA fighter? What black sorcery is this?

She and Levi/Rivaille are really heavy for their height compared to everyone else in the series.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Author appeal. Plain and simple.

Also...man, Christa and Annie are tiny. Christa, I sort of understand, but I could have sworn Annie was a little taller than 5 feet (like around 5'2").

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's mentioned in the manga (this isn't a spoiler, just a background detail) that the army's minimum recruitment age is twelve. Really rubs in how desperate they're getting.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUySqz10MQQ

I think we've hit critical mass on OP parodies.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

AnonSpore posted:

She and Levi/Rivaille are really heavy for their height compared to everyone else in the series.
Badassitude is very dense.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
How is Sasha only 121 lbs? Potatoes are not weightless!

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Darth Walrus posted:

It's mentioned in the manga (this isn't a spoiler, just a background detail) that the army's minimum recruitment age is twelve. Really rubs in how desperate they're getting.

For most of history young men and even boys have been in wars. It's only in recent history that it was mandatory that you be a little older to fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pensive posted:

Oh my god, I can not wait for Hanji(the chick in the middle of the bottom row) to show up in the anime.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
drat, Crista is the tiniest soldier ever

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It feels like the guys are all pretty short, but when I look at it more closely, while Connie, Armin, and Rivalle are all really short, they're pretty much balanced out by Reiner, Berthold, and guy on the bottom left whose name I can't remember. Eren, Jean, and Marco are a bit below average (by US standards), but it's much more what you'd expect to see.

Also wow, Christa is tiny. Kind of surprising that she can get enough force behind her to kill titans.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They definitely skew short. I'm assuming it's a Japanese thing. Reiner is drawn like a giant and I'm taller than he is.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How are Jean and Marco below average? :psyduck: 5'9" is the US male average (5'4" is women). For Germany it's an inch taller for both. Even if they were all unusually short you could chalk that up to nutritional deficiencies.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Don't they live on diets that're much more frugal than what modern people consider normal? I mean, even potatoes are rationed out, and any sort of meat is a rare delicacy.

But yeah, more likely it's probably Isayama going by Japanese standards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
At the ages they are, they might still have a growth spurt or two left in them.

They also very likely do not have access to enriched grains and modern medicine. There are many treatable illnesses that can otherwise stunt a person's growth, and children who have regularly access to vitamins and good nutrition grow an average of two inches taller than those who do not (IIRC).

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 17, 2013

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

How is Sasha only 121 lbs? Potatoes are not weightless!

I say it's because of all the running she's done. She probably saw those potatoes and thought "I must carb load".

As for the heights, most of the short guys still have a few years left for them to grow.

E: Looking at the character stats, I just found out I'm Mikasa-sized :smug:

PowFu fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 17, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's not forget the job they signed up for. Being small and light is no disadvantage when you're swinging around in 3DMG.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUySqz10MQQ

I think we've hit critical mass on OP parodies.

It's BEAUTIFUL.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Isn't the new episode today? Man I'm so excited for this episode.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rei_ posted:

16 hours before it airs + a few more for the translation, but I guess you could say it's today depending on where you live.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rei_ posted:

The first twelve minutes build up to revealing Eren's ultimate fate, but just before it's actually revealed they cut to a Character Establishing Flashback where 11-year-old Mikasa, Eren and Armin smoke cigarettes behind a barn and only narrowly avoid being caught by Eren's pa.

To be continued next episode; which will feature ten minutes of titan's juggling horses before moving on to show the perilous life of a wall mason.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The rest of the series is just Eren and Armin taking turns pulling each other out of that titan's mouth, perpetually, forever.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
This series would be pretty great for screaming faces alone. Let's see if they can pull one over Maou-sama for creative looks of horror.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just watched the first two episodes after knowing the premise of this show, but not quite how everything worked out. So am I correct in saying that the city where everyone lives shelters the vast majority of the human population or something? Because from the brief interludes at the commercial break, this city is presumably gigantic, and I don't know why you'd live anywhere else when there's unstoppable giants wandering around eating people.

Aside from that, though, the show is starting off as good as everyone says. Animation is great, and you really get a good feel of the helplessness so far. I assume the next couple episodes will be introducing the main cast, but I'll have to find out next week when I watch 3 and 4.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Just watched the first two episodes after knowing the premise of this show, but not quite how everything worked out. So am I correct in saying that the city where everyone lives shelters the vast majority of the human population or something? Because from the brief interludes at the commercial break, this city is presumably gigantic, and I don't know why you'd live anywhere else when there's unstoppable giants wandering around eating people.

Aside from that, though, the show is starting off as good as everyone says. Animation is great, and you really get a good feel of the helplessness so far. I assume the next couple episodes will be introducing the main cast, but I'll have to find out next week when I watch 3 and 4.

The area inside the walls isn't a city. It's an entire country.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

The area inside the walls isn't a city. It's an entire country.

Yeah just pretend they put a huge wall around Germany.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sylphid posted:

See those tiny bumps on the outside of the walls? Those are the kind of city Eren and co. lived in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eren is a reasonable sized anime 15 year old, but you're telling me that he was 12 when the training arc began!?

Yes, I know, teenagers went to war all the time, but even then the bulk of armies (and especially the veterans) were usually older.

And wow, didn't expect Mikasa to outweigh Eren. But that could be my internalised sexism speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah just pretend they put a huge wall around Germany.

Mr. Titan, tear down this wall! Mr. Titan, open this gate!

• Locked thread