Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

People like you graduate into people who never buy a car new.

No poo poo. Bought my first car new. A couple of weeks later I sign a year lease on my first apartment after moving across the country. Was laying in the living room right after having gotten the keys thinking "Internet Explorer, you've done alright. Nice new car. Nice new apartment." 5 minutes later and the heavens opened up. Hail the size of baseballs. $5k worth of damage and a dent in every single body panel. I basically gave up instead of having a nervous breakdown. Still own the car almost 7 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Waxed my FRS properly for the first time last week. In less than two weeks, I'll mark a year since I drove it off the lot.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Before I tell this story I want everyone to know that I know what I did was stupid and I am very grateful that I didn't crash into anyone's car or god forbid hurt someone. Lessons have been learned, expensive lessons. Most importantly, always leave traction control on! Even when you're only going 10-15 miles an hour in a parking lot!

So, I was feeling especially sassy this morning, I had just installed a Kartboy pulley the night before and the car was driving great. For some reason unbeknownst to me, and against every common sense nerve in my body I hit the traction control button instead of just the VSC Sport. You see, the entryway to my work's parking lot is up a slight hill and I was gonna be all awesome up it today...

Instead, when I reached the apex of the hill I lost control and did a 180 into some (thankfully) empty parking spots. Along the way in my 180 adventure I happened to clip the edge of the nearby curb with my driver's side wheel, I was sliding backwards and towards the drivers side (if the front of the car is north, I was sliding southwesterly). I popped over this curb, landed back on solid ground, and slid to a stop before slamming into the next curb on my uncontrolled trajectory of idiocy. All said and done i made a lot of noise and left a trail of tire goop showing how stupid I was.

Now I'm thinking I just ruined my car, I'd seen the pictures of people's destroyed frames and bent wheels. One lapse in judgement has cost me thousands...oh god oh god at least I didn't hit someone. I jump out of the car and it doesn't look that bad, the driver's side camber seems to be ok and nothing seems to be hanging off the bottom of the car. I get in and take a 5 mph drive around the parking lot. My alignment is shot but other than that it seems ok. I park my car and call the local toyota dealer for an appointment. Better safe than sorry and I want my car realigned.

Anyway, I get to the dealer and tell him the story. I didn't lie about the cause or anything but he also didn't ask about traction control, so I guess a lie of omission did occur. Two hours later he comes out with the news.

It's going to be $485 for a new rim (one rim, one loving rim, not even including labor) because I took a chunk out of the side and (as they said) deformed it a little bit. I need a new one because its going to wobble no matter what they try to do to balance it. Then it's going to be $500 for a new front hub & bearing (SU003-00782) $250 for the part and $250 for labor. Other than that the mechanic says he cant see any other parts that have been damaged, the tie rod and shock all looks ok. He mentioned that the undercarriage tow ring was bent to all hell and it looks like that saved me from frame damage. But I could see the "no parking fire lane" red paint from the curb rubbing its arc across the underside of the car (whatever that metal shield is under the engine...that thing had a nice red rainbow across the driver's side of it).

I say, go ahead and order the Hub & Bearing but there's no way I'm paying five hundred dollars for ONE rim when I was planning to buy aftermarket wheels anyway. I decided to turn a negative into a positive and I told him I'd order some rims from tire rack and have them shipped ATTN to him. He mentioned that they used to be a tire rack installer (they just got bought out a month or so ago by a big chain dealership) so he was ok with having aftermarket rims shipped and installed (@ $10 a pop, not bad). So I spent about an hour pouring over tire rack's selection having to make a decision in an afternoon that I wasn't planning on having to make for at least a year. I debated the cheaper rims where I could get a set of 4 for $600, but then I said gently caress it and bought some RPF-1s in silver like Firehawk (i was --->| |<--- this close to going with the gold rims, but decided I'd made enough bad decisions for one day).

My favorite part of this image is that I "poped" over the curb. I quite like this misspelling.

-----

Don't ever turn off Traction Control leave it on leave it on all the time leave it on when you sleep leave it on when you're making love to your woman leave it on when you're being frisky and think you can handle it. You can't and wont and you might not be as lucky as me to only have a thousand dollars in damage. God forbid I hit that second curb, I'd be looking at thousands in repair costs. God forbid I hit someone else's car, I'd be looking at thousands in insurance bills. God forbid I hit someone, I'd be looking at criminal time and having the fact that I injured someone on my conscious would just destroy me.

Don't be a fool, keep the nannies on They say that this car is good for novices, but I think the fact that it's easy to driftu makes it deceptively dangerous. I had to learn that the hard way. Once you lose control there's nothing you can do but squeeze your buttcheeks and hope you don't end up in a ditch.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 18, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Lol

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Rabble posted:

Once you lose control there's nothing you can do but squeeze your buttcheeks and hope you don't end up in a ditch.

Welcome to hooning. Also you should probably learn how to countersteer

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Finally got around to a tint. Overcast day in Arizona makes it look darker than it is but overall it was a good balance between heat rejection, price, and look.

F1 Pinnacle 35 for side windows and 15 for the small side windows and the back. $230. Picked up a windshield shade from the dealership that fits perfectly as well, I've never had one fit so nice and have just been buying cheap ones all these years.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 18, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Why'd you get different tint for the small side window? Especially when its designed to look like one big window wont it look odd being different tints?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rabble posted:

Before I tell this story I want everyone to know that I know what I did was stupid and I am very grateful that I didn't crash into anyone's car or god forbid hurt someone. Lessons have been learned, expensive lessons. Most importantly, always leave traction control on! Even when you're only going 10-15 miles an hour in a parking lot!

So, I was feeling especially sassy this morning, I had just installed a Kartboy pulley the night before and the car was driving great. For some reason unbeknownst to me, and against every common sense nerve in my body I hit the traction control button instead of just the VSC Sport. You see, the entryway to my work's parking lot is up a slight hill and I was gonna be all awesome up it today...
It does indeed sound like you learned some lessons there. Now you should sign up for a local autocross so you can learn that there are things you can do to recover from a flat spin, and more importantly program them into your muscle memory. You'll do these in a controlled environment with access to more experienced drivers in the art of hoonage. You'll tell women that you're a weekend racer and they will swoon.

The alternative is learning how to do those things through progressively more expensive dealership repair bills. :v:

I'm glad you're safe.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It does indeed sound like you learned some lessons there. Now you should sign up for a local autocross so you can learn that there are things you can do to recover from a flat spin, and more importantly program them into your muscle memory. You'll do these in a controlled environment with access to more experienced drivers in the art of hoonage. You'll tell women that you're a weekend racer and they will swoon.

The alternative is learning how to do those things through progressively more expensive dealership repair bills. :v:

I'm glad you're safe.

I can't recommend this enough. You can turn traction control off, but learning how the car feels and reacts is key.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just break traction whenever and wherever possible and I can counter steer and control a nice slide now. Only took me a week or so of testing the limits in low gear and its pretty much instinct now.

But yes if the car has nannies, turning them off on public roads is A Dumb Thing.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

D C posted:

Why'd you get different tint for the small side window? Especially when its designed to look like one big window wont it look odd being different tints?

I actually debated this a bit and ultimately felt that so much of that little window actually doesn't go through at all (its mostly pillar) so having it just dark would look better. I'll take another pic in more light tomorrow, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I go to the empty parking lot at the abandoned strip mall to hoon around and save responsible driving for public roads.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

F1 Pinnacle 35 for side windows and 15 for the small side windows and the back. $230. Picked up a windshield shade from the dealership that fits perfectly as well, I've never had one fit so nice and have just been buying cheap ones all these years.
I've been shopping around places to get some tint done around Phoenix and was wondering if you could share where you had it done.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Lowclock posted:

I've been shopping around places to get some tint done around Phoenix and was wondering if you could share where you had it done.

Danny's Family Tint, this is the second tint I had done from them and they seem to do a good job (it's a chain). I specifically did it here:

http://dannysfamily.com/new/locations/east-valley-locations/santan-and-market-st/

They're the only licensed Huper Optik dealer in the valley I think, but I went cheaper this time around with the Pinnacle. They taped down the door button to keep the window rolled up while they applied it, and on the back window they made sure to get the tint down behind the brake light. So they're pretty professional as far as I could tell, knew what they were doing and it only took like an hour.

Danny's always tries to upsell you though, so be ready for that (mostly just the carwash part). They have done some great detail work on my other cars though so it can be worth it.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 18, 2013

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

OldPueblo posted:

That must be phone/head combination specific because my Lumia 920 works flawlessly with my FR-S stock head unit. I've heard the BRZ head is more finicky though and you may have an 8x that I've heard is also BT finicky. I turn on my car and my phone resumes audio every time, it's actually the only way I listen to audio in my car. Podcasts and music.

I should note that this is on the premium Canadian unit w/touchscreen. Also with an 8X.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
The BT audio is not well supported with Android.

I don't bother with BT audio anymore, just use a 3.5mm cable or USB. Pandora etc just isn't worth the hassle.
[/quote]

So I actually just replaced my old incredible with a Samsung galaxy s3. Happily it looks like jellybean works perfectly with the bt head. Pandora picks up exactly where it left off.

I should have guessed a 3 year old phone running CM 7 would be an issue. :-)

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Just installed the TRD cat back exhaust. Sounds much better and it's much more satisfying to blip the throttle for a rev match downshift. I think the stock gaskets I re-used on the TRD exhaust aren't good (leaking) as it seems a bit too loud. Will be getting some new ones shortly. It was a fairly easy job, 14mm and 12 mm wrenches + WD40 & long-nose pliers for the muffler hangers and your good to go. You will need 4 jack-stands or a car lift to do a cat back (car is a bit too low to wedge yourself underneath and work on the rubber hangers).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Reusing exhaust gaskets never works for me. I also have no idea what it must be like to work on an exhaust with bolts that turn freely.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Some are reusable - Nissan makes a 7 layer metal gasket for the SR20 that I've re-used a bunch of times.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

KozmoNaut posted:

Not enough oomph in your Toyobaru? Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLP-HCcX9as

Sounds pretty good, too.

If anyone was wondering how to get the 'boxer' sound from the FR-S/BRZ, that's pretty much it right there.

One of these days :allears:.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Deathreaper posted:

I think the stock gaskets I re-used on the TRD exhaust aren't good (leaking) as it seems a bit too loud. Will be getting some new ones shortly.
Gardus at SuperSprint (I have their exhaust currently in transit to me) said that re-using the original gaskets should be OK on a newish car (under ~60K miles). He did recommend applying some exhaust sealant paste on the joints to be sure, though.

However, I did dig up the part numbers for the gaskets in case I'll replace them anyway:

SU003-01113 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE, NO.2. (17451A)
SU003-01112 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE. (17451)
SU003-01110 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE. (17410B)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Isizzlehorn posted:

If anyone was wondering how to get the 'boxer' sound from the FR-S/BRZ, that's pretty much it right there.

The Subaru "boxer sound" mostly comes from using unequal length headers

WRX/STIs with equal length headers sound a lot smoother.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
1 - Kartboy short-shifter plus box fluid change has massively improved the shifts (still a bit notchy though)
2 - Confirming a simple tyre change makes a big difference! i came 3rd out of 15 cars in the BRZ's first khana (behind an Evo and modded Golf GTi) and was around 2 seconds quicker than two 86's still running the standard tyres

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 21, 2013

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Isizzlehorn posted:

I'd say it sounded more like a miata than the typical subaru boxer misfiring lope. It would probably get a bit old in every day use, but it definitely sounds fantastic.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I will say that adding the Perrin shift boot bracket is by far the best mod I've done. What a night and day difference.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just put in a new K&N filter and resetting the ECU now. Thanks for the nifty guide Rabble.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ROFLBOT posted:

1 - Kartboy short-shifter plus box fluid change has massively improved the shifts (still a bit notchy though)

What did you replace the stock fluid with?

Glad my DIY is helping people.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Rabble posted:

What did you replace the stock fluid with?

Glad my DIY is helping people.

I used 75w-85 full synth. Wasnt keen to go as thin a fluid as some are because of the temps here in Aus.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ROFLBOT posted:

I used 75w-85 full synth. Wasnt keen to go as thin a fluid as some are because of the temps here in Aus.

Double check that it wasn't a GL5 oil. That stuff will eat your syncros. GL4 or GL5/GL4 that specifically mentions brass or yelliw metals only.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
ah yes good point, it was a GL4

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ge...l/#.UZ13srWnB8E

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Aww yeah, I've rewarded my terrible driving with some sweet shiny wheels.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Rabble posted:

Aww yeah, I've rewarded my terrible driving with some sweet shiny wheels.

Nice choice, man i cant wait to slap some wheels and new rubber on this bad boy.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Anyone know how to remove the plastic flippy lid off the center console cigarette charger? If you have anything plugged into there (even something small), the flippy lid gets in the way of having the cupholders in the front position.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Anyone know how to remove the plastic flippy lid off the center console cigarette charger? If you have anything plugged into there (even something small), the flippy lid gets in the way of having the cupholders in the front position.

God i hate that thing, the center console is my biggest complaint with this car.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

Anyone know how to remove the plastic flippy lid off te center console cigarette charger? If you have anything plugged into there (even something small), the flippy lid gets in the way of having the cupholders in the front position.

Isn't it just held in with a pin and spring?

Besides, that one is for emergencies only. There is a better one hidden away in the glovebox. See Here

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
GReddy's turbo kit is out:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/3086/greddy--fr-sbrz-t518z-tuner-turbo-kit.aspx
$2500 plus significant supporting mods for +90hp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

GReddy's turbo kit is out:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/3086/greddy--fr-sbrz-t518z-tuner-turbo-kit.aspx
$2500 plus significant supporting mods for +90hp.

Looks like it's 5200 not 2500, but thanks for the link.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I washed my BRZ today, and beyond the distinct chip I knew I had I found half a dozen other pock marks as well... I'm wondering if something about the height/shape/aero of this car makes it prone to windshield issues. I've driven lower cars without the same issues.

Anyone else have a dinged up windshield?

Also, I definitely have crickets in my fuel pump and it's annoying, but there isn't an actual fix for it yet and supposedly isn't a sign of mechanical failure, so I'll have to be patient for a solution.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I washed my BRZ today, and beyond the distinct chip I knew I had I found half a dozen other pock marks as well... I'm wondering if something about the height/shape/aero of this car makes it prone to windshield issues. I've driven lower cars without the same issues.

Anyone else have a dinged up windshield?

Also, I definitely have crickets in my fuel pump and it's annoying, but there isn't an actual fix for it yet and supposedly isn't a sign of mechanical failure, so I'll have to be patient for a solution.

Just found the TSB for the Chrip today

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01aquy14ya1vmri/071920-09-54-12R.pdf

This is for subaru but im assuming its the same for your toyota/scion. Ill be calling my dealer tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine has been chirping for awhile, but since it's not anything that's going to hurt the car, I'm not going to bother with it until its first service.

• Locked thread