Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Turkeybone posted:

Welp. I'm all for raising cash and taking profits but this is still a pretty hard to ignore run of positive days. It seems like breadth and all that is still going strong, too. I'm like 25% cash today and it's equally prudent and way too much cash.

I remember back in 2008 when liquidity dried up and people were unable to sell. That is what I talk about when I say tighten your stops and practice risk management. If you look at all the corrections they were fast and caught many people off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

nebby posted:

Yeah I have an app that lets you send baby postcards to grandparents. I'm targeting recent mothers, CTR is like 2.5% which is absurd.

(if you're curious it's http://babygra.ms)
You are going to make one million dollars.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
If there is a market pull back in the U.S, will it affect Japan as well? It seems like Japan still has a lot of room to run and Abe is so dead set in lowering the value of the Yen.

I've been looking into WisdomTree Japan Hedged Equity Fund as a stock choice.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

nebby posted:

(if you're curious it's http://babygra.ms)

Son of a bitch

Gonna buy babygrams.com cause I'll be damned if senior citizens figure out the dot between a and m.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Son of a bitch

Gonna buy babygrams.com cause I'll be damned if senior citizens figure out the dot between a and m.

I think the point is to send these postcards to grandparents precisely because they don't have a computer or can't figure out how to open those weird paper clip looking things in their email. The user would be a tech-capable younger, baby-having person, fully capable of typing babygra.ms

Brilliant.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

dogpower posted:

If there is a market pull back in the U.S, will it affect Japan as well? It seems like Japan still has a lot of room to run and Abe is so dead set in lowering the value of the Yen.

I've been looking into WisdomTree Japan Hedged Equity Fund as a stock choice.

The equity in that ETF is up 70% ytd! It's the hottest ETF of the year and second is the iShare Japan Equity fund.

So yeah you're a little behind the pack but it's not like things are gonna change in the next month or year.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

nebby can I use babygra.ms for sending postcards of my apartment? I moved from Arkansas to NYC and I have no way of sending digital photos to my grandparents. My grandmother hasn't used a computer since she worked at a bank in the mid 1990s and I don't think my grandpa has ever used one.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Uranium 235 posted:

nebby can I use babygra.ms for sending postcards of my apartment? I moved from Arkansas to NYC and I have no way of sending digital photos to my grandparents. My grandmother hasn't used a computer since she worked at a bank in the mid 1990s and I don't think my grandpa has ever used one.
I know this is a huge derail, but actually right now a major problem with the app (due to a holdover from a legacy codebase from another app of mine) is that you can only send cards to people who are on Facebook. (I deliberately punted on this to get the thing out the door to test the water.) I'm gonna fix this in the next release due to come out in a week or two.

So yeah, when that's out, you can, but it's kind of a square peg in a round hole since my app is very heavy on the baby theme. There are a bunch of other apps to do what you want like Postcards on the Run and Postagram.

Oh and yeah, babygrams.com is taken anyway, but the web site particularly the domain name is kind of an afterthought since people are going to find the app through direct marketing, etc.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Ah okay, cool. Sorry for the derail.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

evilwaldo posted:

I remember back in 2008 when liquidity dried up and people were unable to sell. That is what I talk about when I say tighten your stops and practice risk management. If you look at all the corrections they were fast and caught many people off guard.

I lost quite a bit of money in 2008. It had never really occurred to me at the time that something like that could happen (and it may never happen again in my lifetime), so I didn't have any stops out on any investments. I figured SPY and other big cap companies wouldn't go down like that. I ended up making most of it back quickly on some lucky investments like Ford though.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Mitt Romney posted:

I lost quite a bit of money in 2008. It had never really occurred to me at the time that something like that could happen (and it may never happen again in my lifetime), so I didn't have any stops out on any investments. I figured SPY and other big cap companies wouldn't go down like that. I ended up making most of it back quickly on some lucky investments like Ford though.

It happened in 1986 when people were told that the market could never crash due to portfolio insurance, 2000 when people were told that Internet stocks would never crash because they were changing the world, and 2008 when people were told that real estate never goes down.

Be safe people, this is the time when risk management is at a premium.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

evilwaldo posted:

It happened in 1986 when people were told that the market could never crash due to portfolio insurance, 2000 when people were told that Internet stocks would never crash because they were changing the world, and 2008 when people were told that real estate never goes down.

Be safe people, this is the time when risk management is at a premium.
The thing is I don't see a real misplaced bull thesis around this rally, even the (smart) bulls acknowledge it's due to money printing and they are riding the wave. I haven't read anyone who genuinely believes there is some "new economy" forming that can sustain the rally. I wasn't active in the financial markets in the previous big crashes, was there still a vocal minority of bears yelling of the coming crash like there is now? (I know there were a few, but a lot of savvy and respectable people have been saying a crash is due for the last 6-9 months.)

I guess what I'm saying is the ticker is saying people have no fear but I don't see the same blindness to the downside risk as I think was present in other major run-ups and crashes. In other words, if I had to guess, this rally will keep going until the crazy "this time it's different" talk really starts to come out. Not that I'd bet on it though.

nebby fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2013

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

evilwaldo posted:

I don't think the market downturns in 86 and 2000 are comparable to 2008 because the 86 one only went down about 20% and the 2000 one took place over almost 3 years. The 2008 took place over just a few months and went down 50%.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

nebby posted:

The thing is I don't see a real misplaced bull thesis around this rally, even the (smart) bulls acknowledge it's due to money printing and they are riding the wave. I haven't read anyone who genuinely believes there is some "new economy" forming that can sustain the rally. I wasn't active in the financial markets in the previous big crashes, was there still a vocal minority of bears yelling of the coming crash like there is now? (I know there were a few, but a lot of savvy and respectable people have been saying a crash is due for the last 6-9 months.)

I guess what I'm saying is the ticker is saying people have no fear but I don't see the same blindness to the downside risk as I think was present in other major run-ups and crashes. In other words, if I had to guess, this rally will keep going until the crazy "this time it's different" talk really starts to come out. Not that I'd bet on it though.

I am seeing it prices being paid for real estate and other assets. Money is flowing into stuff like farmland and apartment buildings where the yields are ridiculously low.

Remember in 2008 everything started to break down in 2007 when the Bear Stearns bond funds fell apart and 18 months later everything fell apart. Paulson got up in front of everyone and told us that things were going to be ok.

I was working for a startup hedge fund at the time (early 2007) and we had a mortgage broker on our floor in a small office building in NJ. Within the space of a month they went from working 12 hours a day to one employee coming in twice a week to check voice mails. That told me that something bad was going to happen. They were literally out of business in the space of a month.

I was stunned at how fast they dropped off the map.

What worries me is that the market continues to go up when I look at some really bad GDP numbers from around the world.

People are excited over Japan getting 0.9% GDP growth in the first quarter and the US is changing the GDP calculation to include art, movie, and television work.

Then I read this article today and it gives me pause.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/may/15/eurozone-crisis-france-germany-recession-gdp

I am not sure where it starts but I can see the rot around the edges and that concerns me because we are not making enough traction to get the economy going and have not for years.

These last two articles relate to the change in the computation for US GDP.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/us-economy-grow-3-under-new-gdp-calculation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/23/recalculating-gross-national-product-hollywood

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 18, 2013

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
As far as stock screeners go, what options are out there that give more screening options than what Finviz offers? The stuff in the OP seems to be mostly trading platforms and more focused on technicals and charting tools, but I cant really tell if any of them offer a robust screener. What do you all use when you run screens?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

So even though RSOL is textbook pump 'n dump I'm gonna toss some throwaway money into it on a dip (which should happen on Monday from everyone selling off Friday's explosion) and see if it keeps rising through the week.

Edit: My only reason to buy is that after FSLR, SPWR, and SCTY all had huge recent gains, this might be the next/last stock to get on the solar bandwagon.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 18, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Dogo posted:

As far as stock screeners go, what options are out there that give more screening options than what Finviz offers? The stuff in the OP seems to be mostly trading platforms and more focused on technicals and charting tools, but I cant really tell if any of them offer a robust screener. What do you all use when you run screens?
I pay for ycharts each month. It's worth it for the types of stocks I look for.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

Acquilae posted:

So even though RSOL is textbook pump 'n dump I'm gonna toss some throwaway money into it on a dip (which should happen on Monday from everyone selling off Friday's explosion) and see if it keeps rising through the week.

Edit: My only reason to buy is that after FSLR, SPWR, and SCTY all had huge recent gains, this might be the next/last stock to get on the solar bandwagon.

FSLR traded as high as 250 in 08 and 150 for the past few years. Any thoughts to a continued run (at 50 currently)? I'm not too savvy on the solar industry and am trying to understand the difference between the competitive position and hype of today vs a few years ago.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

Any thoughts to a continued run (at 50 currently)? I'm not too savvy on the solar industry and am trying to understand the difference between the competitive position and hype of today vs a few years ago.
Yeah I've stayed away from the solar stocks the last few weeks because they've been so volatile. For SCTY there's supposed to be an announcement by Elon Musk next week and it's rumored to be about a supercharging system; his tweet read "there is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank." Maybe it's a modular quick-change battery system?

I can see an announcement like that pushing SCTY to $50 but who knows with they way they've been moving. I thought SCTY's earnings miss would end their run up but nope, they just fell one day and shot up the next.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 18, 2013

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
Sorry, want very clear - I meant a continued long-term run for FSLR. I read about the modular idea, which doesn't sound like much of a game changer but pretty much anything he says at this point could send the stock up.

I also looked at STP. Its benefitted from the industry explosion in stock price but can't pay its debts and delayed payments for a couple of months. Unless the Chinese government takes an interest it doesn't appear that they have a way out of the hole.

JibbaJabbaJimmy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 18, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Oh sorry; kinda skimmed over and mixed the companies up.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Doubled my investment in the Powerball last night :smug:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Did you invest $175 million into it?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Harry posted:

Did you invest $175 million into it?

Invested 203.23 yen to be exact

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
JOSH LYMAN, HD is reporting tomorrow morning, don't forget.

Love, your gambling partner.

e: I was weak on AAPL, I am sad. I was watching the stock action and thought that 425 wouldn't hold, when in fact that is precisely what it did (for now anyway). My thought processes were correct when I was in a "cold" state looking at the stock, but in the heat of the moment I hosed it up. :negative:

But really, if you've sold anything since Jan 1st 2013, you've been "wrong," which is pretty nuts. Also, the demand for TSLA is nuts. Even after the big jump, the stock offering, people are eating it up at $90. There is the ever-present threat of pullback, but every day the bulls test the waters and receive no resistance (why it's been flat mornings and big finishes day after day). I think if/when TSLA breaks 95, it'll really fly even more. There's all these articles now about how dealerships are fighting to stop them from selling direct in their state. They seem genuinely scared for their money and business model, which makes me want to invest even more into tsla. I should do so now, but I'll probably wait until 2pm when it goes flying anyway. Ugh.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 20, 2013

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
The market melt-up :getin:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Turkeybone posted:

was weak on AAPL, I am sad. I was watching the stock action and thought that 425 wouldn't hold, when in fact that is precisely what it did (for now anyway).
If it makes you feel better I sold at my basis which was about 425 thinking for sure the bots would keep selling for at least another day. Welp.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nebby posted:

If it makes you feel better I sold at my basis which was about 425 thinking for sure the bots would keep selling for at least another day. Welp.

So have you guys bought back in yet or are you going to hope for another fall to 430 or so?

Edit: VVVVVV Once again my lack of options access and the spare cash to take on that much risk prevents me from making a smart trade :smith:. Graduation and a real job can't come soon enough.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Shear Modulus posted:

So have you guys bought back in yet or are you going to hope for another fall to 430 or so?
I'm selling puts in the low 400's for the forseeable future

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

JOSH LYMAN, HD is reporting tomorrow morning, don't forget.

Love, your gambling partner.
Thanks for the heads up. Forecast is for weak earnings due to the long winter. Puts incoming!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I think this will be the first day since earnings that TSLA will be under average volume. I'm hoping it goes down to $60-$70 and I'll buy it again.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
ALK is down almost 9% today, and I can't find a reason why.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

quote:

remember we have about a 1 in 70,000 chance of being green tomorrow $spy

Some shitfuck analyst's twitter. I'm really saddened to see the abuse of statistics like this. Is this person going to mortgage their home and put their entire lives on a quintuple short of the spy? Where do you even pull this number from, does it matter? Ugh.

e: Oh unless of course they're trolling.. trolling is the new excuse for "uhh I said something obviously dumb."

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2013

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression
Bought June 20 SCTY puts. IPO Lockup ends on the 10th.

I know that I'm gambling, but the current valuation seems crazy for a company that doesn't seem to have any technical competitive advantage.

Of course, I may get wrecked later this week by any kind of TSLA SCTY supercharger announcement.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
HLF up another 10%. I'm assuming he's hedged at least a little, but Bill Ackman must be hating life around now.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
really hoping this tax story gives AAPL some downward pressure so I can get back on the train (sorry Turkeybone)

whenever I feel bad about my bad trades I just tell myself at least I am not Bill Ackman

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Do you really think it would create a nice buying opportunity? Everybody who works with stocks, or has any information about finance knows that companies avoid poo poo tons of taxes, by working with crazy tax loopholes. They're going to get some negative news articles that call them out specifically- but they already pay way more than other companies in the US something like $1 out of every $40 of taxes paid by every business in the US is paid by Apple.

I'd expect it to move down a bit because every time Tim and Peter open their mouths the stock dives- but not a huge down ward move.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
The hearings won't have any effect, its nothing more than an opportunity for elected officials to express fake outrage.

Edit: On a side note, the testimony (which you can read online now), is a pretty great "gently caress you for making us come here"

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 21, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
AAPL has lost 10% market cap for far stupider reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Bill Ackman is so overrated. The fact that he still gets airtime is amazing.