Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I love getting to chat with with devs, freelancers, and other Catalyst guys on dumpshock. However, Dumpshock posters are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kenderama posted:

So you can blow past your limits in a most amazing way - and makes edge even more awesome as a stat.
Yes, now even 1 edge is very good boost just for this fact alone, and teamwork now boost the limit too! So it should make the players want to help each other more instead of you do your thing, I do mine separately.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 18, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Kenderama posted:

Remember this, however. "Push the Limit" lets you spend an Edge to ignore limits on test AND you get rule of Six. :)

So you can blow past your limits in a most amazing way - and makes edge even more awesome as a stat.

I just had an amazing thought. What if, when describing spell mechanics, they simply state that the Limit on spell tests is the chosen Force of the spell ... meaning that if you spend Edge on a spell test, you ignore Force as the cap on hits. I'm at a loss to figure out how awesome and/or terrible that would be.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I'm currently working on translating the rather obscure Japanese Shadowrun Sega CD RPG, and I want to make sure I get the slang right. Can anyone point me to some good guides for in-world slang?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MaterialConceptual posted:

I'm currently working on translating the rather obscure Japanese Shadowrun Sega CD RPG, and I want to make sure I get the slang right. Can anyone point me to some good guides for in-world slang?
Here is the most complete one (some would say a little too complete since it accepts user submitted slang) and it should cover even the more obscure terms:
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/glossary.htm

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 19, 2013

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

Toplowtech posted:

Here is the most complete one (some would say a little too complete since it accepts user submitted slang) and it should cover even the more obscure terms:
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/glossary.htm

Thanks! I have to say the Sega CD Shadowrun probably does the best job out of all the 16-bit games of conveying the experience of sitting down and going through a pen and paper Shadowrun campaign. People on here will probably enjoy it.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Vavrek posted:

I just had an amazing thought. What if, when describing spell mechanics, they simply state that the Limit on spell tests is the chosen Force of the spell ... meaning that if you spend Edge on a spell test, you ignore Force as the cap on hits. I'm at a loss to figure out how awesome and/or terrible that would be.

Limit on spell tests is your mental limit. Overcasting could also complicate things too. :)

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks! I have to say the Sega CD Shadowrun probably does the best job out of all the 16-bit games of conveying the experience of sitting down and going through a pen and paper Shadowrun campaign. People on here will probably enjoy it.

I was just talking to a buddy about how great this game looks and how sad it is it never got a translation. You are doing The Lord's Work here! Keep the thread updated on your progress.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Quick rules question about recoil:

The book says that every bullet fired after the first during an Actio Phase gets a -1 dice pool modifier. So if a character uses both his simple action during a single IP to fire a semi-auto pistol twice, the second shot gets a -1 modifier. If that character has 2 IPs and fires 2 more shots during his 2nd IP, do those 3rd and 4th shots get additional -1 modifiers (-2 and -3 respectively)?

I only ask because the way the SMG example in the book is worded confuses me. It says that if a character fires 2 3-shot bursts, the first burst gets a -2 modifier, and the 2nd burst gets a -3 modifier. Are those cumulative or is it always just -1 for each additional instance of firing during an Action Phase?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I've always wanted to check that game out after reading about it at Hardcore Gaming 101, so thank you for working on this!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My understanding of the rules is that, in 4th edition, recoil resets at the end of every Action Phase. If Joe Adept has a cheap pistol and three Initiative Passes, he can fire it at Tank Trollsen six times per turn, taking a -1 recoil penalty on every other shot. (2nd shot, 4th shot, 6th shot.) These aren't cumulative with each other—the odd-numbered shots have no recoil penalty.

The evidence for this is that the book's combat chapter describes everything in terms of the Action Phase, and says things like "The first shot is unmodified". I rather like the concept of stretching it out over the turn, though, or as long as the person keeps firing, and I'm interested to see how it's handled in 5th edition.

Also, that example is confusing. It has so much going on in it at once. After staring at it for a while, I have an answer for you: On the first short burst, the unmodified recoil is -2. On the second short burst, the unmodified recoil is -5 (-2 plus -3). The character in the example has a weapon with recoil compensation 2. This cancels out the first shot's recoil ("Though his recoil compensation of 2 accounts for the burst's -2 recoil"), and part of the second shot's.

Thank you for making me look at that. I think I misunderstood recoil. (I would've had the modifier on the second shot be -1, because I figured recoil comp applied separately to each shot.)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
It's surprisingly easy and cheap to modify your weapon to completely negate recoil, no matter how many times you shoot.

Let's take a Colt Cobra TZ-118 as an example. The submachine gun has Recoil Compensation of 1 off-the-shelf due to the Stock. So that first burst will still suffer a -1 Recoil Modifier if no further modifications are made.

We can add a number of different recoil compensation modifications and/or accessories, but we need to check Page 198 of Arsenal to see if they can stack or not. A bunch of them can't, but that's not a problem because there are enough that do.

We'll add a Sling and Foregrip, each adding a point of RC for a total of 3. The Sling costs 15 bucks and the Foregrip is 100. Then we can add the Personalized Grip modification - meaning it has to be done by someone with the Armorer skill - which adds another point of RC for another 100 bones. At this point your Cobra has an RC of 4. Still need more? Install the Gas Vent 2 modification for 200 bucks. Now you have an RC of 6 and will never suffer a Recoil Modifier again.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Zarikov posted:

I was just talking to a buddy about how great this game looks and how sad it is it never got a translation. You are doing The Lord's Work here! Keep the thread updated on your progress.

Thanks, will do! At the present moment we have the text dumped for the first two chapters, the rough draft of the Chapter 1 script translated, and a quarter of the Chapter 2 script translated. It's probably going to be somewhat slow going, but I hope we can finish it up by the end of "The Year of Shadowrun."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Please post this in the Games forum too, I'm sure a good hanful of people there who do not read Traditional Gaming would be interested.

When you're done, I mean.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Upcoming book release schedule:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=38858

SR5 - June
Run Faster - August (Looks to be like Runner's Companion, so nice of them to nickle and dime us immediately)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Fifth-Edition/dp/1936876515/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369202016&sr=8-1&keywords=shadowrun+5th+edition

Amazon claims 7/3

Take with a grain of salt and a preorder. ;)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a catalyst book, so the PDF will probably be out in June with the book out... later.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Bigass Moth posted:

Upcoming book release schedule:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=38858

SR5 - June
Run Faster - August (Looks to be like Runner's Companion, so nice of them to nickle and dime us immediately)

And I know I'm going to be right up there to buy it. :negative:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is anyone else going to GenCon this year? I'd love to play some 5E games with some other people from this thread.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Sorry for the double post but it's been a while since the last one.

How do you GMs deal with people taking 6/6 contacts? My new game is going to start tomorrow night and I have 3 people with large number contacts. I didn't restrict contacts and I don't want to screw them out of the BP they spent on them, but I also don't want them to be able to get whatever they want whenever they want. The best thing I can think of right now is just time. Even people with worldwide contacts need time to call those people and arrange things. Then there's the dice rolls. What are some reasonable dice pools for 6/6 contacts trying to get info or gear for PCs?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
"Your best friend the president of the UCAS? Guess what, he's a bit busy keeping Aztlan from invading Denver again."

Pretty easy way to deal with it. 6 connection contacts are seriously important people. They don't deal with little things really.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

MohawkSatan posted:

Pretty easy way to deal with it. 6 connection contacts are seriously important people. They don't deal with little things really.
What if he's like, your dad that loves you a lot?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Nyaa posted:

Then he loves you, but is never around and always too busy and drinks way too much and no that isn't mommy and loving bitch we're getting a divorce and mommy and daddy go separate days and daddy drinks more and he only hits you because he loves you and wants you to be good and and and...

Basically, 6/6 contacts are not always good things. Plus, can you imagine how bad it is when THEY call you up with a favor?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nyaa posted:

He loves you and that's why he is secretly so furious you decided to become a runner ("You are crazy son!") so he told you you could contact him for help. Now you contacted him, he can trace your position, and since he is a powerful man, expect a competent team (aka people who don't call for daddy when they are in trouble) to "extract" you back to your father.
Alternate scenario: some rival of your father knows he loves you too. And he is going to send some bad guy to capture you first. Then said bad guy will beat you, tell you that you are nothing without your powerful daddy, cut you hand to prove his point than force your razor-girl bodyguard to fight a bear spirit.
Worse scenario: your mother is even worse. And i am even not talking about your jealous sister.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 25, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

"Your best friend the president of the UCAS? Guess what, he's a bit busy keeping Aztlan from invading Denver again."

Also, 6/6 contacts expect poo poo in return even more than regular contacts. If your BFF, the president of the UCAS, does this for you, he might ask the runner and his group to pull a job bugging phones in the opposition party's headquarters or silencing some journalists and they'll expect to do this for free.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Treat it as a thing the player spent a load of XP on for gently caress's sake, don't make this some monkey paw poo poo. Contact is often busy, sure. Expects big favors in return, absolutely, part of the whole thing.

But this "Oh he secretly HATES you and WORKS AGAINST YOU!" thing? What the gently caress?! Just say "I don't want you to have 6/6 to start off with" if that's the case.

I mean poo poo, a 6/6 contact is your player essentially grabbing your collar, thrusting themselves forward, and screaming in your face, "Here is a plot hook! Use this! You can use this as your plot hook! I am giving you like ten adventures here!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sorry for the double post but it's been a while since the last one.

How do you GMs deal with people taking 6/6 contacts? My new game is going to start tomorrow night and I have 3 people with large number contacts. I didn't restrict contacts and I don't want to screw them out of the BP they spent on them, but I also don't want them to be able to get whatever they want whenever they want. The best thing I can think of right now is just time. Even people with worldwide contacts need time to call those people and arrange things. Then there's the dice rolls. What are some reasonable dice pools for 6/6 contacts trying to get info or gear for PCs?

Shadowrun 4e 20th Anniversary page 286 posted:

Before a character can obtain a contact’s help, he has to get in touch with the contact first; they don’t just sit around waiting for someone to call and ask for favors. A contact’s availability should first and foremost depend on the gamemaster’s plans for the adventure at hand. If the contact might be able to help the character get a hold of some piece of information or gear that the gamemaster doesn’t want the players to get a hold of yet, or if the characters are pursuing a false lead that will take them nowhere, then the contact is too busy to help right now (but you can leave a message at the tone). On the other hand, if the contact holds the secret to a clue that the characters are missing, but they haven’t tried reaching the contact yet, maybe the contact calls up with business of his own, or just to chat—and in the process, helps the characters out.

If the gamemaster is playing it by ear, and doesn’t care either way about the contact’s involvement, then simply roll 1D6. The contact is available if the result equals or exceeds the contact’s Connection rating—after all, the more connected the contact is, the less time he has available. Keep in mind that other factors may affect a contact’s availability

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is anyone else going to GenCon this year? I'd love to play some 5E games with some other people from this thread.

I'll be running some booth demos for Catalyst thursday and friday mornings but playing in the tournament with some friends. (We plan on being a crew of 4 metrosexual germans named Hans, Franz, Dieter and Frau Brucher.)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
According to SR freelancer Patrick Goodman, the SR5 quick start rules will be available in print on June 15 for Free RPG Day, and the PDF may be released sooner than that. I assume the main book will be ready by then as well to capitalize on curious buyers.

Another interesting factoid: Jason Hardy has said that chargen will be a priority based system with some karma involved. What that means exactly is anyone's guess, but the freelancers online of course defend it to the death. To me all it says is "if you don't like it buy the Runner's Companion, available August 2013, with expanded character generation rules!!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Another interesting factoid: Jason Hardy has said that chargen will be a priority based system with some karma involved. What that means exactly is anyone's guess, but the freelancers online of course defend it to the death. To me all it says is "if you don't like it buy the Runner's Companion, available August 2013, with expanded character generation rules!!"

Priority system is A-B-C-D-E in five fields: Race, Attributes, Skills, Resources, and Magic. It's what Shadowrun has used since its inception, although I believe 4th/25th Anniversary brought out the point system from Runner's Companion and put it in the main book.

The Karma part is a new touch, and is probably a way to flesh out characters further so they're not all the same starting off. That way, if you put set Magic as A priority, you can spend Karma to make your 'runner an Elf or Troll since you have to set Race to A priority for that. Or spending Karma to get more spell points (if they have those) since they were previously tied to Resources and most other-than-human Magic Users used Resources as a dump priority.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Young Freud posted:

Priority system is A-B-C-D-E in five fields: Race, Attributes, Skills, Resources, and Magic. It's what Shadowrun has used since its inception, although I believe 4th/25th Anniversary brought out the point system from Runner's Companion and put it in the main book.

The Karma part is a new touch, and is probably a way to flesh out characters further so they're not all the same starting off. That way, if you put set Magic as A priority, you can spend Karma to make your 'runner an Elf or Troll since you have to set Race to A priority for that. Or spending Karma to get more spell points (if they have those) since they were previously tied to Resources and most other-than-human Magic Users used Resources as a dump priority.

I know what the priority system has been, but they indicate it is different now. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a lot of leeway for character creation (want to be an elf mage with non-lovely stats? Too bad).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I know what the priority system has been, but they indicate it is different now. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a lot of leeway for character creation (want to be an elf mage with non-lovely stats? Too bad).

I wonder if, instead of the type of magic being determined by the priority system, it will be the Magic attribute to be chosen by priority. It would fit with the previous editions' nerfing of magic characters by having them pay to get the most out of that stat instead of starting out with it maxed out at 6 as in first through third editions.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
If you can read German, you can have these quick start rules:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/114998/Shadowrun%3A-Schnellstartregeln---F%C3%BCnfte-Edition

Cliff's notes from Dumpshock:

quote:

And some quick infos from these rules

- Combat spell damage = net hits, but no drain

- You fight with markers in the matrix 1-3 marks are necessary for actions, 4 marks is the former admin mode. ((MARKs – Matrix Authentication Recognition
Keys)). Marks seem to the threshhold.

- Matrix defense is now willpower + intuition (delete marks) or

- You use a fork programm to hack two devices at the same time. You roll logic + hacking + bonus dices against the threshold of the item => each net hit is a mark => enough mark = the matrix target behave as you like, but you have to roll for every action again (in the matrix example the hacker tries to control two gun turrents at the same time and the gun turrets resist with their device rating

- Orks are now humans or humans are now orks (or someone forgot to swap the pics (or the reader forget to read the flaws)).

- Standard Mc Hughes have automatic gun turrets installed inside their shops (Food Fight into adventure is back).

- Some weapon damage values

Automatic Pistol 6P, accuracy 5+2
Taser: 9S, accuracy 5
Hunting Rifle: 11P, accuracy 7
MPi 7P, accuracy 4+2
Heavy Pistol 8P, accuracy 5+2
Melee Combat: 8S
Sword 10P

- Some armor values (seems to be 50% more armor)
12 armor jacked
9 cham suit
9 coat

- There are a lot of items which give bonus dices (lenses, mnemo, zerebral booster

- Standard dice pools of the quick starter chars are between 5 and 10 (attribute + skill)

the shaman has the advantage "mage (shamanistic tradition)

- Limits
Adept limits: body 6, mental 5, social 5
Hacker limits: body 5. mental 7, social 5
Street Sam: body 8, mental 5, social 4
Shaman: body 5, mental 5, social 7

- weapons have two ranges now, long and short. The reason could be the tuned down complexity of the QSR, or perhaps because the devs feel that the dark and gritty feeling needs close combat

- close combat seem to be upgraded, more damage (no more strength / 2, but simply strength as base damage), no more attribute + skill vs attribute + skill + skill, it follows the standard attack roles

More discussion here:
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=11110.0

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 29, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

gently caress, are they really going with that awful "you are class x so you MUST be like this" poo poo? That used to be one of the things I really liked in Shadowrun. But now it's all going to be oh so you want to be a fighter street sam? Well you can't be intelligent or good at social interaction. A wizard mage? Fine but you'll be knocked down by a stiff breeze and you can't carry heavy objects. Please tell me I read it wrong.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

No, I'm pretty sure those are just the limits of the given, statted-out characters. The shaman happens to be a more socially-oriented character than the others, not "shamans are talky people."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vavrek posted:

No, I'm pretty sure those are just the limits of the given, statted-out characters. The shaman happens to be a more socially-oriented character than the others, not "shamans are talky people."

Yeah, it looks like, from the discussion on Dumpshock, that it's highest stat plus lowest stat in those categories multiplied by 2/3.

How's the Limits and Accuracy supposed to work again? Do they add together or does the lowest override the other?

I do love the change to include more close combat in the game. I noticed that melee weapons and unarmed don't have an Accuracy rating. Also, short and long ranges sound like something out the Apocalypse World games.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it looks like, from the discussion on Dumpshock, that it's highest stat plus lowest stat in those categories multiplied by 2/3.

Yes, that is certainly intuitive.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Young Freud posted:

How's the Limits and Accuracy supposed to work again? Do they add together or does the lowest override the other?

You don't use your Physical Limit when firing guns. You use Accuracy as your limit. Character stat based Limits are irrelevant to Firearms. I get the impression, from you saying melee weapons don't have any sort of Accuracy, that they are relevant for melee combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yes, that is certainly intuitive.

Yeah, the Dumpshock guys are already joking that you need a Math SPU implanted in your brain to run SR5.

Vavrek posted:

You don't use your Physical Limit when firing guns. You use Accuracy as your limit. Character stat based Limits are irrelevant to Firearms. I get the impression, from you saying melee weapons don't have any sort of Accuracy, that they are relevant for melee combat.

That makes some sense. I'm wondering how much of a factor metahuman bonuses, cyberware, magic, and adept powers is going to have on Limits.

• Locked thread