Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have to say if you listen to anything enough I think you can certainly come around on it. Sort of an auditory Stockholm syndrome.

I'm not accusing you of that, but just generally throwing it out there to point out that one shouldn't have to repeatedly subject themselves to something they don't enjoy to eventually come to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I wonder how many people bought scalper tickets at exorbitant prices and flew halfway around the world for the Wee Waa launch party and cried after Daft Punk never even made an appearance.

Granted, the videos made it look like a fun as hell time. But drat...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Feenix posted:

I have to say if you listen to anything enough I think you can certainly come around on it. Sort of an auditory Stockholm syndrome.

I'm not accusing you of that, but just generally throwing it out there to point out that one shouldn't have to repeatedly subject themselves to something they don't enjoy to eventually come to like it.

I mean, I enjoyed it enough the first time to want to listen more, and now I enjoy it enough where I want to pace myself and not listen to it too much to burn myself out.

I suppose I agree that you shouldn't force yourself to listen to something you don't like, but I feel like this is actually a somewhat rare phenomenon. I think it's more like drinking coffee or wine or beer (or eating olives or spicy food). Most people don't like it at first, but after trying it a few times you realize that your complaints about it (it doesn't taste like anything but bitter!) don't really hold up.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

AwwJeah posted:

I think there's more eyes watching Daft Punk than ever before. I don't think it's a stretch to predict that RAM will easily shoot to #1 in the US next week. Whereas their other albums haven't even broken the top 40.
To give some perspective:
  • When Discovery debuted, the #1 record was Dave Matthews Band's Everyday, which sold 750k in its first week
  • This week, the #1 record is Lady Antebellum's These Colors Don't Run, which sold 167k in its first week
Nail Rat is right, hitting #1 on the billboard charts doesn't mean what it used to.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Saying they're not irrelevant is not the same as saying they're the most important thing in modern music.
Tell that to this guy:

AwwJeah posted:

I'm sure you meant to say "Daft Punk have become bad." Since they are quite obviously as far away from irrelevancy as any band could possibly be. In fact, I can't think of a band who is currently more relevant to the industry at large than Daft Punk.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

het posted:

• This week, the #1 record is Lady Antebellum's These Colors Don't Run, which sold 167k in its first week

Hahaha holy poo poo, no way. They actually named their album that? :bravo:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
But I agreed with Nail Rat?

:shrug:

I really just fail to see how the word "irrelevant" is a suitable description for Daft Punk in any regard but drat this is becoming some circular rear end poo poo.

Let's keep talking about how some of this record is really good and some of this record is pretty dumb.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, no way. They actually named their album that? :bravo:
No I was making a joke, sorry :) It's actually called Golden. But gently caress 'em.

AwwJeah posted:

But I agreed with Nail Rat?

:shrug:

I really just fail to see how the word "irrelevant" is a suitable description for Daft Punk in any regard but drat this is becoming some circular rear end poo poo.
It's because they mined their influences and didn't do all that great a job of it. Also the record you cited is specific to the UK, and I'm just not sure why first week sales would directly mean anything about relevance (or, really, what you even think that word means).

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

AwwJeah posted:

Oh, I'm absolutely sure of it. But the predictions saying that they'll break Oasis' nearly two decade record in the year 2013, a time when no one buys music ever, certainly means a lot.

Edit: Anyway, I'm curious how many of you had your first exposure to Daft Punk while watching Toonami after school?

Me. 26 though, I still remember when they killed off and redesigned the host robot guy? (bob?)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

het posted:

No I was making a joke, sorry :) It's actually called Golden. But gently caress 'em.

Heh, it's not too far off. I used to hear them on the country Pandora station at my former work when my old coworkers used to play it. They're loving garbage and suffice it to say that didn't make that job fun.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I never said they were irrelevant by the way, I said they were losing relevancy. Do you disagree that they have peaked years ago?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dj bobby bieber posted:

You underestimate greatly how popular Homework was - once they sold out of the vinyl records, it was drat near impossible to get a copy of the album, even on CD. It was huge internationally. Alive 2007 was more of a matter of timing, as Cross was out at the same time (and D.A.N.C.E. was huge), and French Touch was enjoying a nice revival as electronic music was becoming more accessible for pop. On top of that, Busta Rhymes and Kanye sampling them certainly helped Discovery, so it's a little elementary to just say "they weren't that famous."

It really wasn't that popular. It only sold about 600,000 copies in the US, and about 2 million worldwide. On the US Billboard charts, it peaked at 150, it didnt go #1 in ANY country, meanwhile RAM is about to sell a shitload and a half. Homework was a decent success, but hardly monumental.

From wiki:

"Daft Punk wanted the majority of pressings to be in vinyl, so only 50,000 albums were initially printed in CD format. After its release, overwhelming sales of Homework caused distributors to accelerate production to satisfy demand."

While that sounds impressive, the total US sales are still well under a million, and that was in the day and age when people actually bought albums. IT sits at about 2 million worldwide, which isn't a flop by any means, but hardly monumental.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
My definition of relevancy is whether or not people actually give a poo poo.

Have they peaked? In what regard? Talent? Exposure? Popularity? Influence? Those are all pretty difficult factors to quantify but I certainly believe they're just as big of a pull today as they've always been. Tons of people the world over still care a whole hell of a lot about Daft Punk.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#q=Daft+Punk

I don't think they've peaked. I think they're currently at their peak. Right now. I think they are bigger than they've ever been.

Now, will Get Lucky have the same legs as songs like Around The World, One More Time, Harder Better Faster Stronger, or Technologic? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 18, 2013

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

somnambulist posted:

It really wasn't that popular. It only sold about 600,000 copies in the US, and about 2 million worldwide. On the US Billboard charts, it peaked at 150, it didnt go #1 in ANY country, meanwhile RAM is about to sell a shitload and a half. Homework was a decent success, but hardly monumental.

From wiki:

"Daft Punk wanted the majority of pressings to be in vinyl, so only 50,000 albums were initially printed in CD format. After its release, overwhelming sales of Homework caused distributors to accelerate production to satisfy demand."

While that sounds impressive, the total US sales are still well under a million, and that was in the day and age when people actually bought albums. IT sits at about 2 million worldwide, which isn't a flop by any means, but hardly monumental.

600k in the US, given the climate around the time of the release, is really impressive. And again, beyond that, the record was everywhere. The acid DJs loved it, the Chi-house played the poo poo out of it, and it had major crossover appeal for the techno (and to a lesser extent garage) scene that was really strong at that time.

I encourage you to listen to this Bad Boy Bill mix from 97 to get an idea of what was going on in the US at the time - Burnin' actually sounds pretty out of place in this mix - the record really was next level and people were all over it. It really isn't like Alive 2007 dropped and people started caring.

Edit: Compare that mix from 97 vs DJ Dan - Funk The System (99)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqxhNbUTtg

And you'll see how much the landscape changed after Homework.

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 18, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Homework will always be The House Album and Daft Punk proves once again that if you did one thing right ever, you'll have fans forever, an age old tradition in the music biz. There are still people who care about what 3OH!3 are doing.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
This not the album we want, it is the album we deserve

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Winston Beehill posted:

This not the album we want, it is the album we deserve

The Daft Knight

Directed By Christopher Nolan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AwwJeah posted:

Now, will Get Lucky have the same legs as songs like Around The World, One More Time, Harder Better Faster Stronger, or Technologic? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I can't speak about Around The World, but I don't think it was a massive mainstream success that was playing on Top40 stations everywhere.

One More Time: Never heard it on the radio, was on Cartoon Network.

Harder Better Faster Stronger: Only reason why this is huge is because of Kayne West.

Technologic: Only reason why it was a blip on anybody's radar was because of the Apple ads.

e: I have terrible taste in music and I don't keep up with a lot of stuff, but here are Pitchfork's ratings of DP albums so far

Homework: 7.6
Discovery: 6.4
Human After All: 4.9

And if you use linear regression (and it is quite linear), the expected rating should be 3.6 for Random Access Memories.

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 18, 2013

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Phone posted:

I can't speak about Around The World, but I don't think it was a massive mainstream success that was playing on Top40 stations everywhere.

Harder Better Faster Stronger: Only reason why this is huge is because of Kayne West.

Technologic: Only reason why it was a blip on anybody's radar was because of the Apple ads.

If you never heard One More Time on the radio then I don't believe you when you say you listened to the radio.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was almost 13 when it came out and I remember buying my first CD player and audio CD (Yellow Sony Walkman & Daft Punk's Discovery) for my birthday (few weeks after Discovery's release). Outside of listening to the Alternative Rock station, I listened to Loveline on a day delay. I probably wasn't the target demo for radio listening anyways. :v:

Wikipedia says One More Time reached 61 on the Billboard Top 100.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I really feel like all this talk of relevance or popularity or whatever is getting confusing because one person might be talking about the pop scene while another is talking about the dance scene, in either North America or Europe. Daft Punk has had a lot of crossover appeal, and because of that I think a lot of people are talking past each other.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Instant Crush and Lose Yourself To Dance. Especially Instant Crush. I don't think this album is going to be a runaway smash hit like Discovery or anything, but it has some good music on it that I like--and why should I care about how popular the album gets or where it charts on the Billboard? It's not going to be Daft Punk's last album or anything. I think.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Phone posted:

e: I have terrible taste in music and I don't keep up with a lot of stuff, but here are Pitchfork's ratings of DP albums so far

Homework: 7.6
Discovery: 6.4
Human After All: 4.9

And if you use linear regression (and it is quite linear), the expected rating should be 3.6 for Random Access Memories.

Pitchfork has eaten their words on Discovery though. They've put it as the #3 album for the 00s decade, and Ryan Scheiber has said the only review he can no longer defend in any way is Discovery.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't forget they backpedaled on I Get Wet, and rightly so. Turns out a lot of side-stream pop from the early 00's was actually pretty drat good, in retrospect.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Phone posted:

I find this weird, I guess since I am not from USA, but I always think of that song as being the guy that shamelessly jumped on Daft Punk's coat tails by rapping over one of their good songs. I think that was the first time I had heard of Kanye West. That song made Kanye because of Daft Punk, not made Daft Punk because of Kanye... at least every where non-USA I guess.

I guess Daft Punk isn't very USA?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm liking the album even more now, I listened to it today on my friend's real nice monitors with a beer and I could just hear every little thing and it was awesome.

edit: I havent finished watching this video yet but I think it might be awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEKfq0cY0o

editedit: Yeah it was awesome. At first I didn't get "Contact" but it makes sense now and that video just cemented it for me.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 18, 2013

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I love the album, can anyone please convince me not to like it? I want to be critically enhanced. Also, what daft punk album should I like. TIA

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Woohoo! Got my vinyl today, and it sound so good!

e: Bonus pic:

The thing in the front contains paper stuff to make a helmet, probably like the ones in Wee Waa.
I'll put it together and put it on a bust somewhere in the house. Classy up the room a bit.

Datasmurf fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 18, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sigh. I was hoping Amazon would ship the vinyl a little early so I'd have it today but no dice.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I was actually surprised when I got the album today, didn't think I'd get it before Tuesday.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So the intro on the album version of "Get Lucky" kept striking a chord in my brain (particularly Nile Rodgers' guitar) and I couldn't figure out where I'd heard it before. and then somehow I realized it was that awful song The Bad Touch by the Bloodhound Gang (particularly the part from :26 to :41).

Now I can't unhear it. :(

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Upon my second listen, I think Instant Crush might be my favorite track, that hook is just so awesome.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
the more I listen to Instant Crush, the more I wish there was a version without Casablancas' voice being vocoder'd to hell and back. Not to say it's bad, I just really like his voice and I would be curious to hear it like that.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
Richie Hawtin should do a remix album of this.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Wank posted:

I find this weird, I guess since I am not from USA, but I always think of that song as being the guy that shamelessly jumped on Daft Punk's coat tails by rapping over one of their good songs. I think that was the first time I had heard of Kanye West. That song made Kanye because of Daft Punk, not made Daft Punk because of Kanye... at least every where non-USA I guess.

I guess Daft Punk isn't very USA?

They really weren't, at least not back when Discovery came out. Then, the big sound was straight-up R&B from the likes of Destiny's Child, Jennifer Lopez, and Usher. Daft Punk's style of music had its fans, but it was still pretty niche. Discovery only peaked at #44 on the U.S. charts, and Human After All did even worse.

Now, though, dance music has gotten pretty big in the States commercially. I'd say things like the Tron: Legacy soundtrack and, yes, that Kanye West song helped raised Daft Punk's profile as well. Still, if you told me last year that Daft Punk would ever have a #1 album in the U.S., I wouldn't have believed you.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
I read earlier in this thread that the daft punk guys had said something to the effect of "modern dance/laptop music sucks, has no soul and they can't be bothered with it". Which off course is an insanely stupid and headline whoring thing to say. But if they now feel that way why would a remix album ever be made?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

uno.mannschaft posted:

I read earlier in this thread that the daft punk guys had said something to the effect of "modern dance/laptop music sucks, has no soul and they can't be bothered with it". Which off course is an insanely stupid and headline whoring thing to say. But if they now feel that way why would a remix album ever be made?

Because they apparently made RAM with the intention of remixing it themselves and what better way to make modern dance music better than remixing your own music.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Would this create the potential of other artists remixing their remixes?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hatelull posted:

Would this create the potential of other artists remixing their remixes?

The ultimate form of recursive music: daft punk remixing remixes of their original mixes

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Because they apparently made RAM with the intention of remixing it themselves and what better way to make modern dance music better than remixing your own music.

Hows about making good music that doesn't need remixing? Or am I getting to old for this music thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've not really listened to much Daft Punk, but got this album because everyone's been talking about it. I absolutely love it and can't stop listening. It's odd, because I mostly listen to Metal music, but these songs are just so cool. I love them all, apart from Motherboard. Something about robot vocals over funk and live drums just really works for me. I am definitely going to be exploring their back catalogue.

• Locked thread