Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
You can already sort by author in the song database, and different authors have different approaches to Pro Guitar authoring, which you can use as a makeshift filter for which songs have carefully crafted Pro charts, or slapped-on Pro charts. The only songs on their servers which have been Pro charted by me are "This Boy" "Rain" and "Because" (Because doesn't appear in the database because its base work is HMX). Not to toot my own horn by I promise my Pro charts are as accurate as possible, by isolating the stem and looking up any live or archival footage to get a glimpse of hand positioning, and learning the guitar/bass part on my own guitar and bass before transcribing it in. I never, ever, EVER look up tabs unless I am having a particularly hard time naming a chord, or want a second opinion on my transcription.

There is a glimmer at the end of the tunnel though; C3 author TrojanNemo has tasked me with analyzing the animation MIDIs for the Beatles Rock Band game, which contain ludicrously accurate hand animations which can be (slowly) deciphered to make Pro Guitar and Pro Bass charts so accurate you'd think they were authored by Harmonix themselves (because they were). Basically every single song in TB:RB already has Pro Guitar and Bass charting, it's just not in a format that can be read by RB3.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Orange Harrison posted:

There is a glimmer at the end of the tunnel though; C3 author TrojanNemo has tasked me with analyzing the animation MIDIs for the Beatles Rock Band game, which contain ludicrously accurate hand animations which can be (slowly) deciphered to make Pro Guitar and Pro Bass charts so accurate you'd think they were authored by Harmonix themselves (because they were). Basically every single song in TB:RB already has Pro Guitar and Bass charting, it's just not in a format that can be read by RB3.

This is crazy - but I suppose you're doing God's work so good luck.

In regards to source tags on custom tracks, I was under the impression that all customs had to be tagged under RBN, but I have a few customs that show up under RB2. Am I wrong about tags or is this weird?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The problem with changing the source is that RBN is the only source that the community knows how to author venues for. All other sources use a different venue method which breaks if you change a custom's source. If the RB2 songs are ports or re-made DLC, they may use the original raw data that can still be read while in RB2 source.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I won a Beatles Rock Band t-shirt from some website contest only to discover that oh wait I already have it. So I'm giving it to you. Please post if you take it.

DHC9K4DY27B8F6K9Y6JQM9MV?

Replace the question mark with the number between 5 and 7. (This is to keep any spambots that prowl forums from taking it. You know, just in case.)

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Never mind: It's an avatar shirt. I already have one, too.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 16, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

Y...you have to put it in on the Xbox website...

The point of me doing the question mark was so that if a bot prowled this thread, it wouldn't see that, enter it and use it for itself; because there are bots that do that.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Someone took it

The T
May 29, 2010

El Destructo posted:

Never mind: It's an avatar shirt. I already have one, too.

Yeah, I said that. :v:

bpc908 posted:

Someone took it

How kind of them to say something...

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
I just wanna say thank you to all the customs guys here. You're doing a kick-rear end job! Also thanks for doing the website and videos - it makes the whole thing all friendly and convenient. :)

You've inspired me to start messing around with Reaper as well, so I'm looking forward to any upcoming tutorials.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The T posted:

How kind of them to say something...

Paywall isn't up right now, could have been an unregistered dude or dudette.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 releases for May 17:

New! Pantera Cowboys from Hell 4-pack (farottone)
  • Pantera - "Cemetery Gates"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday (2x Bass Pedal)"
New! Singles
  • ABBA - "Money, Money, Money" (RyanHYK)
  • Electric Light Orchestra - "Don't Bring Me Down" (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Ho-kago Tea Time - "Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai" (LyokoFreaks)

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

PardonMeHippo posted:

I just wanna say thank you to all the customs guys here. You're doing a kick-rear end job! Also thanks for doing the website and videos - it makes the whole thing all friendly and convenient. :)

You've inspired me to start messing around with Reaper as well, so I'm looking forward to any upcoming tutorials.

I concur, you fellas are awesome. Thanks for keeping the game alive. Can't wait for tutorials.

I've started fiddling around with some five lane Van Hagar - 5150 (song) which is probably a bad idea since it's a bit long and it's EVH. I assume best practice is to start on expert then just copy/paste to easier tiers and remove notes?

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

pksage posted:

C3 releases for May 17:

New! Pantera Cowboys from Hell 4-pack (farottone)
  • Pantera - "Cemetery Gates"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday (2x Bass Pedal)"
New! Singles
  • ABBA - "Money, Money, Money" (RyanHYK)
  • Electric Light Orchestra - "Don't Bring Me Down" (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Ho-kago Tea Time - "Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai" (LyokoFreaks)

Cemetary Gatesssss, finally!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Soooo a couple of the Harmonix PR people are freaking out about a poster on ebay. I know Drake and co. are showing off a new game somewhere, anyone know if it was related to that? I'm not finding anything scandalous searching ebay.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
edit: nope I am dumb it was for something from the '90s

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Don't bring me doooooown... Nyx, you rock.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Orgophlax posted:

Soooo a couple of the Harmonix PR people are freaking out about a poster on ebay. I know Drake and co. are showing off a new game somewhere, anyone know if it was related to that? I'm not finding anything scandalous searching ebay.

They're freaking out about the There Will Be Blood Mondo poster that was released today, sold out in about 45 seconds, and dozens were immediately put on ebay for 4x the cost.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Thinking of taking the custom plunge this weekend. One thing I'm worried about: I worked really hard to have a guitar score for every song I own (and am working on bass), am I in any danger of wiping that out?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

Thinking of taking the custom plunge this weekend. One thing I'm worried about : I worked really hard to have a guitar score for every song I own (and am working on bass), am I in any danger of wiping that out?

You can use modern save games in V4 of Rock Band, but any progress you make won't be uploaded to rock central and will be lost when you go back to V5. Just make sure you're only using V4+offline mode for customs and that sessions there "don't count" and stick with V5 and internet for registering scores.

From what I've seen, Rock Band will never eat up your save data without first warning you that it will if you continue, such as trying to use a modern save in V1 (patchless) RB3. (That's a really convenient future-proof they put in, in my opinion)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Orange Harrison posted:

You can use modern save games in V4 of Rock Band, but any progress you make won't be uploaded to rock central and will be lost when you go back to V5. Just make sure you're only using V4+offline mode for customs and that sessions there "don't count" and stick with V5 and internet for registering scores.

From what I've seen, Rock Band will never eat up your save data without first warning you that it will if you continue, such as trying to use a modern save in V1 (patchless) RB3. (That's a really convenient future-proof they put in, in my opinion)

Okay, that's good to know. I have a feeling that when I play customs, I'll only be playing customs, unless I have people over, in which case I don't give a poo poo about the score anyway.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Also, however you set up your flash drive shuffle, make sure your current cache/save data/etc. are all backed up somewhere, just in case.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Thank you for K-ON dlc.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Don't bring me doooooown... Nyx, you rock.
;)

Thanks Pyroxene!

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy
Orange Harrison, I've got a Foreigner-flavored gift for you if you're still interested in venue charting. ;) Hit me up at my username at gmail and let me know how to get you the stuff.

The T
May 29, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

Too bad "Overwrite" is the default option, in case you forget to put the Customs/TU4 stick in while your dumb friend is mashing buttons on the guitar. (To be fair, my fault.)

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
I have a theory (I'm about 99% sure this is factual) and I want to see if anyone else had this happen or not.

I bought Rock Band 3 when it came out and have played it a lot. One of my favorite "stages" your band can play at was "The Manor" (looked like a giant castle and was from Rock Band 2). I must have played hundreds of songs, and never went to The Manor in Rock Band 3.

Flash forward to about 2 months ago. I finally bit the bullet and paid the $10 to export Rock Band 2 songs to Rock Band 3. The download was over a gigabyte in size.

Shortly after I bought the Rock Band 2 pack for Rock Band 3, I played at "The Manor."

I find it nearly impossible that I was able to play Rock Band 3 for years and I just never happened to randomly select the manor and then RIGHT AFTER I bought the RB2 Export Pack, I suddenly go there.

So, it seems that when you pay for the Rock Band 2 export, it doesn't just give you songs but also lets you visit stage venues that you normally cannot visit.

I just wanted to share this information since I don't think it has ever been discussed before.

Also, keep up the excellent work those who are doing all these customs!

One last blurb, "Games" is now my favorite forum. You guys (and girls if any) are cool. Thank you.

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 18, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

We've known the code exists for certain songs to force specific venues, but that's a new take on it I haven't heard before. Neat find if it's true.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

PardonMeHippo posted:

PowderKeg posted:

Can't wait for tutorials.
Here is a new tutorial on charting vocals!

Nyxyxylyth fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 19, 2013

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I'm not planning on ever making any of my own customs, but that was an interesting watch all the same. Much respect to all custom creators - it looks like a huge amount of work!

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy

Thank you. I was missing scrub so much; turns out I was just too lazy to find it. You just made my week so much easier.

Edit: And pksage, below, has made me the happiest snowflake yet.

AeolisCams fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 20, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
We've also just put up a mirror of the official RBN docs, which were free to the general public until the recent Creators downtime:

http://pksage.com/rbndocs/

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

Great! I had no idea how you were supposed to get the timing right on those.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Are there any good indie customs? Pavement, Superchunk, Modest Mouse, Archers of Loaf, that sort of thing?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any good indie customs? Pavement, Superchunk, Modest Mouse, Archers of Loaf, that sort of thing?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that a good number of my customs will fall under this umbrella whenever I get off my rear end and actually make them.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

pksage posted:

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that a good number of my customs will fall under this umbrella whenever I get off my rear end and actually make them.

Since Guitar Hero was announced, all I've wanted to be able to do was play "Hyper Enough" by Superchunk. :smith:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

So, while getting to work on stem extraction for "Real Love", I did a little research and found this odd video. It's in mono which implies to me that he used phase extraction, but the results are too crisp and the results don't match up with my phase extraction. After doing a little more digging I discovered that this mix was made manually through the Anthology DVD by ripping the 5.1 surround sound track into an editing program and mixing as desired. This means there are a couple dozen Beatles multitracks floating in public. The songs contained on Yellow Submarine, Help!, and the anthology DVDs are mixed in true 5.1 with isolated channels (with a couple exceptions, where masters weren't available). This means I can chart songs like "All Together Now", "Real Love", "Free as a Bird", basically anything post-1965 with honest-to-goodness multitracks. Granted, some of it will just be fake multitracks made using the same methods I already use, but considering they had the Real Master Tapes to start with, their mixes are definitely of higher quality, and I've found confirmation that many of the tracks are true discreet stems.
My DVD drive twitches with anticipation.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 21, 2013

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
This Wired article about the next Xbox says:

quote:

And there’s one area in which Sony and Microsoft are in perfect harmony: Neither of their new machines are backward compatible with their current ones. That means your seven years’ worth of digital game purchases made over the Xbox Live Marketplace won’t function on the new machine. (Microsoft says your licenses for purchased movies, music and the like will transfer over.)

Oh well.. Wasn't really expecting to port everything RB to a new xbox, but it would have been nice.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Looks like I'm keeping the 360 until I literally cannot anymore.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

This is not unexpected especially since they're going from a PPC to X86 based architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kaboobi posted:

This is not unexpected especially since they're going from a PPC to X86 based architecture.

Software emulation. There isn't really any good excuse for them to say "we simply cannot technically do this".

• Locked thread