Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ed Mungo posted:

What do y'all keep your pens and pen accessories in?

I'm starting to accumulate some quantity of "pen stuff" like extra converters (I don't like the squeezy ones so I always swap them out) and the like. Right now I just have my small items in an empty Altoids tin, and the pens that aren't currently in use are stuffed in the box my Metropolitan came in. As long as I don't get anything new, this is working OK but we all know that's unlikely so I need to figure out a better storage solution. I keep all my pen stuff at work in my desk so I've been looking at things like roll-up pen cases on JetPens because I don't really have room for a big box or anything.
I use this pen chest. Or at least one that looks exactly like that one. All the converters and small things are in the drawer, pens under the glass. In use pens tend to be in a shirt pocket or laying on top of a notebook at work or by my bed. The inks remain in their boxes on top of the counter above the pen chest. I really need to find a better spot for them, I should just move them to the small table thing the chest is on but it's cluttered with mail and keys and such.

iostream.h posted:

Edit: Ok, let's try this this way.
Everyone who wants to participate in the pen pal thing, PM me your mailing addresses, and if you don't have PMs then email them to iostream.header at the googles and I'll start matching people up.

Okay, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Brightman posted:

I use this pen chest. Or at least one that looks exactly like that one. All the converters and small things are in the drawer, pens under the glass. In use pens tend to be in a shirt pocket or laying on top of a notebook at work or by my bed. The inks remain in their boxes on top of the counter above the pen chest. I really need to find a better spot for them, I should just move them to the small table thing the chest is on but it's cluttered with mail and keys and such.

Okay, done.

I have also signed up. I've been thinking about getting a box from someone from the internet but haven't done so yet. Of course, it took months to talk myself into buying a TWSBI.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I meant to list it earlier, but I also bought the 10 slot Aston case for travel and it's held up really well.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Ed Mungo posted:

What do y'all keep your pens and pen accessories in?

I'm starting to accumulate some quantity of "pen stuff" like extra converters (I don't like the squeezy ones so I always swap them out) and the like. Right now I just have my small items in an empty Altoids tin, and the pens that aren't currently in use are stuffed in the box my Metropolitan came in. As long as I don't get anything new, this is working OK but we all know that's unlikely so I need to figure out a better storage solution. I keep all my pen stuff at work in my desk so I've been looking at things like roll-up pen cases on JetPens because I don't really have room for a big box or anything.

All my pens sit in a small tin that Adagio used to send tea samples out in. It holds two Ahabs, a Preppy, and a 540 comfortably enough, but anything more and I'd need another solution. My Hero 200a is on a display stand until I can bother with repairing the cap (small air leak causing the nib to dry out), my Vista used to stay at work except for overnight visits when I needed to refill it, and the 540 stays clipped to my traveler notebook. My inks I just keep in their boxes in a row on my drafting table, and all the little bits and bobs like converters, cartridges, syringes, they stay in a cheap plastic drawer unit I use to hold art supplies.

I could easily dedicate an entire drawer to all my pen stuff, but I like them as objet d'art too much to just lock them away. I would like to get a case or something to display my pens, but I don't have all that many at the moment and none of them look all that fancy aside from the Hero. I also fight the urge to just have the ink bottles on display because I know the light will damage the ink.

In other news, I flat-out lost my Vista! Kinda miffed, but oh well! That's why I kept a cheap pen at work. This is also the perfect opportunity to finally try out a Metro!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Took a Dremel to my Ahab and ground away some metal to make it more flexible, I find it much nicer to write with now. Got the idea from here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

I didn't mind doing it since I didn't much like the ahab, niv wasn't very nice and it had flow issues. Seems to be doing better now and the nib feels smoother.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
A somewhat ancillary request for information here, but not really off-topic: I want some good-quality graph paper, in the dimentions of a writing pad, in loose-leaf with two holes punched in the top margin.

Any ideas on where to buy such a commodity?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Eikre posted:

A somewhat ancillary request for information here, but not really off-topic: I want some good-quality graph paper, in the dimentions of a writing pad, in loose-leaf with two holes punched in the top margin.

Any ideas on where to buy such a commodity?

I've never seen graph paper with holes in the top margin, do you mean top with regards to portrait or landscape layout? The best graph paper I've used came from my university shop, so if you've got a uni/college local to you I'd try there. Some of the larger Staples stores have a good selection of graph paper. I'm not sure of the brand, but the one with yellow lines was better than the one with blue markings.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Something cut like this:

http://www.staples.com/Domtar-Custom-Punched-20-lb-Paper-8-1-2-inch-x-11/product_813661

But obviously instead of blank laser paper I want graphing paper to write on.

I like legal pads. But I want one with quadrille ruling and I want to be able to re-bind the sheets in a different order. Thus, top-punched graphing paper.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

How's this?

If that't no good then I don't think what you're looking for exists! :v:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I have a few addresses, if people want to send in some more that would be good, and I'll start matching people up.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Vitamins posted:

How's this?

If that't no good then I don't think what you're looking for exists! :v:

It's A3, which is theoretically perfect for the version of me who is nine feet tall.

Oh well, I'll just have to punch my own.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Eikre posted:

It's A3, which is theoretically perfect for the version of me who is nine feet tall.

Oh well, I'll just have to punch my own.

Holy gently caress. A3 is huge. I found a website listing the dimensions and it claims that besides the US and Canada that all countries use this as their standard paper size. Do people overseas really write on such huge pieces of paper?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Oops didn't see it was A3. Anyway, you can get the A4 and it's the exact same thing, off of Amazon.

A3 isn't that big, just a couple pieces of A4 stuck together. It's definitely not a standard size though, most paper pads are A4 in Europe in my experience.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just a heads up, but TWSBI is offering a Vac 700 (any color/nib size) and the Vac 20 inkwell for $85 + shipping. You're basically getting the inkwell for $5.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Solkanar512 posted:

Just a heads up, but TWSBI is offering a Vac 700 (any color/nib size) and the Vac 20 inkwell for $85 + shipping. You're basically getting the inkwell for $5.

I hate you...so much...but in a good, thanks for pointing this out, way. Wait, I can't get a stub nib...that's annoying.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Does the bit in the OP about Asian nibs being finer than Western nibs apply to TWSBI?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for the case ideas. I'd love to get one of those leather cases but they're a little outside what I'm willing to spend. I finally decided to get a small zippered case that I'll be able to drop into my bag and carry around if needed.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Soricidus posted:

Does the bit in the OP about Asian nibs being finer than Western nibs apply to TWSBI?

Even though TWSBI is a Taiwanese company, the nibs they use are German, so they are roughly equivalent to other European nibs. If you're already familiar with the way a pen writes, the Nib Nook from the Goulet company might be of help in getting an idea.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
TWSBI Fs are still finer than Lamy or Pelikan Fs though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Is there a european source for good yet cheap writing paper? Goulet pens have a nice selection but shipping costs kill the profitability dead. I am mostly interested in french ruled paper.

Also got my Pilot Metropolitan from them, a real classy pen, loaded it up with Eel Blue and it's a real smooth writer.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
How hard would it be to get a TWSBI nib/nib unit into another pen? Everyone here seems to love them, but I don't care for their styling at all.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cobalt impurity posted:

If you're already familiar with the way a pen writes, the Nib Nook from the Goulet company might be of help in getting an idea.
That's exactly what I needed to see -- thanks!

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

fivre posted:

How hard would it be to get a TWSBI nib/nib unit into another pen? Everyone here seems to love them, but I don't care for their styling at all.

Honestly I think a lot of the love is for the style and for them being a decently priced pen that has a built in filling system. Also with the Diamonds you can take them all apart and clean every crevice to your heart's content. At any rate I think they're basically the same as some other company's nibs, like maybe Schaeffer's, but I could be wrong about that...actually I think that was just initially, and probably not the case now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey guys, is being cleared to sign FAA paperwork a good enough excuse to buy a new pen? I'm looking for some unbiased opinions here. ;)

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey guys, is being cleared to sign FAA paperwork a good enough excuse to buy a new pen? I'm looking for some unbiased opinions here. ;)

I manage to justify it every time I need to fill out another permission slip from my kid's school. Speaking of, he's got two field trips coming up. Guess that Vac700 deal is timed juuuuuust right.

edit - actually what are people's experiences ordering direct from TWSBI? I've had a terrible time with HK/Taiwan sellers on ebay and amazon marketplace and the like. Do they get your poo poo to you quick?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

JP Money posted:

Holy gently caress. A3 is huge. I found a website listing the dimensions and it claims that besides the US and Canada that all countries use this as their standard paper size. Do people overseas really write on such huge pieces of paper?

It's _a_ standard paper size, same as A5, A4, A2, ... whatever. A4 is the same size as 2 A5's stuck together, A3 is 2 A4's, ...

A4 is a much more widely used size and is almost, but not quite, the same as US Letter.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm not claiming this is fact or some credible source, it just intrigued me as I've never considered anything other A4 "standard" and have never really thought about other countries with regards to paper size.

http://www.a3papersize.org

"What is A3 Paper

A3 paper is the standard paper size for all countries excluding Canada, the United States of America and some South American countries. A3 paper is exactly twice the size of A4 paper."

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Pretty sure that site misspoke and meant that it is "a" standard paper size.

quote:

When to use A3 Size

The A3 paper size is predominately used to place large images, drawings, Computer Aided Design, architecture and other types of design based elements on to paper.

This bit shows that it's fairly limited, A4 is the standard in most countries, and Letter is the standard in the US and Canada. Actually I bet A3 is probably close to whatever the standard was when people wrote with quills and such.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I work in an office and A4 is the standard. A3 is just two A4's put next to each other size wise, and an A5 is half the size of an A4. Based on that I bet you can figure what an A6 or an A2 would be.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Wait, Letter is standard in Canada? I've only ever used A4 for anything.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Vagueabond posted:

Wait, Letter is standard in Canada? I've only ever used A4 for anything.

I was taking that from this site http://www.a4papersize.org/ which is associated with that A3 one, so maybe the people making those are just not checking all their facts or whatever.

quote:

Which countries use A4

Today, A4 Paper is used by most countries around the world. With the exception of the United States of America and Canada. Many South American countries such as Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Venezuela and more, have officially taken on the A4 paper standard. However, the most common paper size in these countries is still 'Letter Size'.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Platypus Farm posted:

I manage to justify it every time I need to fill out another permission slip from my kid's school. Speaking of, he's got two field trips coming up. Guess that Vac700 deal is timed juuuuuust right.

edit - actually what are people's experiences ordering direct from TWSBI? I've had a terrible time with HK/Taiwan sellers on ebay and amazon marketplace and the like. Do they get your poo poo to you quick?

I've had no problems with them whatsoever. I bought my 580 direct, as well as the Vac 700/540 deal they had a few months back. Both orders were quick and in great shape.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Platypus Farm posted:

Ordered once. Had it in just a few days - shipped to California. I don't recall the 'from' address, but pretty sure it was domestic.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
The Vac 700/20 deal was too good to pass up. The shipping was $3 for 2-3 days USPS, so it must be domestic.

Curved
Jan 4, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

Placed my order on a Friday and it arrived the next Wednesday on the East Coast. I ordered through amazon but it was fulfilled by TWSBI. Super convenient all around.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

HolySwissCheese posted:

The Vac 700/20 deal was too good to pass up. The shipping was $3 for 2-3 days USPS, so it must be domestic.

Yeah I broke on that too. No stub nibs, but if I don't like the EF nib I can always try getting it ground to something odd like an oblique or whatever and then buy a 1.1 nib if that fails.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have a second smoke colored TWSBI coming my way!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I absolutely DESTROYED my Lamy ALstar earlier.

I had a 60 lb rack mounted UPS fall on it and me. :negative:

After a bit of coaxing and bending... IT WORKS

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Brightman posted:

Yeah I broke on that too. No stub nibs, but if I don't like the EF nib I can always try getting it ground to something odd like an oblique or whatever and then buy a 1.1 nib if that fails.

I'm just going to buy a stub nib from Goulet and then be able to switch at whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sorry for the delay everyone, but you should all have your pen pal info now!
If anyone else wants to join in I don't think there'll be any issues with doubling up or not.

Have fun, and I take ZERO responsibility for what gets sent and/or received!