Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alex Valle was playing a rush down heavy Joker on Wednesday Night Fights if you need inspiration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sponsz posted:

Joker has some tricky setups with teeth, a really good air attack with crowbar, and a pretty good projectile with gun. He's not bad, just his trait isn't that good and he cant get damage like Superman or Black Adam

I wish Joker's movelist was a little goofier in its animations this time around; he had some of the most absurd, retarded moves in MK vs DC, and I say that as positively as it could be said. The third or fourth time you caught someone in that nonsensical behind-the-back heel smash thing and mashed it out to the full length, or did the spaz kick into the rabbit punches instead of a much more damaging combo just because it's so goddamn stupid, people on their mics would be incoherent with online gamer fury. And the best part of all was, his counter was an electric joy buzzer! :buddy:

MK vs DC got so very many things wrong, but Joker as the ultimate troll character was not one of them.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You'd see more Joker if his trait wasn't complete garbage.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sponsz posted:

Joker has some tricky setups with teeth, a really good air attack with crowbar, and a pretty good projectile with gun. He's not bad, just his trait isn't that good and he cant get damage like Superman or Black Adam

Joker also has a pretty good wakeup in the form of his poison flower, which is also a good special because it can make some of his unsafe strings safe on block. He also has a really good backdash.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You'd see more Joker if his trait wasn't complete garbage.

It's not good, or even decent, but it's not "complete garbage", there are some useful strings that it can interrupt, eg: Green Lantern's b12 or b13.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 18, 2013

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Does anyone know any BnB combos/setups or anything for Joker? Like someone said previously, the TYM thread for him is retarded and it's people that are trying to max his combos in insane ways.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You gotta go to Harley if you want a complete garbage trait. A button you should never press. Ever.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If Joker could MB his trait like Killer Frost's Parry for a full combo I think that'd go a long way to making him more viable. That, and/or make the knockdown long enough that you can setup teeth oki or go for a crossup, and/or make the HA! buff permanent.

I mean you don't need a good trait in this game, Cyborg's is complete garbage and he's easily top ten if not top five, but the rest of Joker's toolset doesn't make up for how unimpressive his is.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'd argue Black Adam's trait is also garbage. It's just an inferior version of Batman's.

The fact that Sinestro's trait is just a regular Lex Luthor move is also not very cool.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'd argue Black Adam's trait is also garbage. It's just an inferior version of Batman's.

The fact that Sinestro's trait is just a regular Lex Luthor move is also not very cool.

:psyduck: That does not accurately describe either one of those traits whatsoever.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Interstellar Owl posted:

Does anyone know any BnB combos/setups or anything for Joker? Like someone said previously, the TYM thread for him is retarded and it's people that are trying to max his combos in insane ways.

Best thing you could do is watch this guy's past streams. He mains Joker in ranked games and has some pretty good combos and setups that you can figure out just by seeing them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blast Fantasto posted:

Black Adam's trait is amazing. You can activate it basically anytime, including in the middle of a string!

And yeah, the trait does not make the character. SHAZAM has an absolutely amazing trait, but he's pretty garbage despite it, which is really too bad.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Krad posted:

Best thing you could do is watch this guy's past streams. He mains Joker in ranked games and has some pretty good combos and setups that you can figure out just by seeing them.

Was watching Alex Valle play him, doesn't look like he has long strings of ridiclous combo, his normals and moves do enough dmg even with 2-5 hit combos. It seems to rely a lot on just mixing it up a lot with the teeth/gun, a lot of crowbar use.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So far all of my friends tried to play Joker first, only to never touch him again once they realize he's both hard to use and kind of bad. If Batman was equally awkward, this game'd have the worst first impressions ever.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I have finally discovered how to punish Flash's Lightning Charge when playing Catwoman. :getin:

E: I fought this poor Bane player who I hit once, then ran the hell to the corner. When he got close, I cat dashed and b3'd him through the transition. 4 times. I'm a dick.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 18, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here is some Lobo concept art.
Linked for bigness.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Kombat Network is streaming some Injustice at East Coast Throwdown. I feel like I should learn Green Lantern after seeing some of these GL players dominate everyone without losing a round.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm going to assume you've seen the damage, combos and safe strings Sinestro can create with his trait. So what does it need to do to make it "cool" to you?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gannyGrabber posted:

I have finally discovered how to punish Flash's Lightning Charge when playing Catwoman. :getin:

NO, my only weakness. :ohdear:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

NO, my only weakness. :ohdear:

Sadly the input is hard as gently caress since I have to go from blocking into a forward 1 while somehow not doing the bf1 for cat claws.

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 18, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

WarEternal posted:

It's not good, or even decent, but it's not "complete garbage", there are some useful strings that it can interrupt, eg: Green Lantern's b12 or b13.

No, it is complete garbage. To parry b12 or b13 for GL you need different timings for each, unlike Wonder Woman or KF who can just input parry as fast as possible and get either attack everytime.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

gannyGrabber posted:

Sadly the input is hard as gently caress since I have to go from blocking into a forward 1 while somehow not doing the bf1 for cat claws.

You could use alternate input mode probably.

Although it kinda sucks when you want to do a bf move.

Edit: Tom Brady is loving insufferable as an announcer.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You could use alternate input mode probably.

Although it kinda sucks when you want to do a bf move.

Yeah, learning a new input setting is out of the question at this point, I think. Guess I'll have to make a habit of blocking low against flash. And trying to avoid the df1 input for whip. Thanks, Netherrealm, you dicks!

And holy poo poo this Tom Brady guy is the screamiest commentator in the world. USE LOW LIGHTNIIIING :byodood:

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

Was watching Alex Valle play him, doesn't look like he has long strings of ridiclous combo, his normals and moves do enough dmg even with 2-5 hit combos. It seems to rely a lot on just mixing it up a lot with the teeth/gun, a lot of crowbar use.

If you aren't opposed to using meter, any starter into MB low gas, b3, j2, 212 xx flower will easily break 40% and it's a pretty easy combo. Replacing the j2 with j3 into d3 will also end the combo in an untechable knockdown at sweep range. The timing on the j3 is a little weird, though, since you need to do it pretty low to the ground but not too low to the ground. Ending with 32 into far teeth is also supposed to work.

Joker isn't going to do ridiculous 50% combos, but he has combos that do good damage.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

Yeah, learning a new input setting is out of the question at this point, I think. Guess I'll have to make a habit of blocking low against flash. And trying to avoid the df1 input for whip. Thanks, Netherrealm, you dicks!

Match against more Flash players who hit you low. In fact if you're not habitually resisting the urge to low block against Flash then I would argue that you may need to play against better skilled Flash players.

Then once you have that habit you can spend just as much time unlearning it after getting mixed up by his f21 a hundred times. Oh the joys of fighting against The Flash!

Arikado
May 9, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Then once you have that habit you can spend just as much time unlearning it after getting mixed up by his f21 a hundred times.

Or by getting thrown! :flashfact:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arikado posted:

Never before has that smiley been more appropriate.

I just picked up this game (PS3). I am not very good at fighting games, especially ones that involve long combos; I'm okay at timing, though. Other than Superman, which characters should I be looking at? I did pretty well with Lobo of all people in my few tests but I think some of that may have just been the other guy having no idea what Lobo did. I sure didn't do anything really impressive with him yet. I used to play Soul Caliber back in the 3/4 era.

Basically, who can I take it slow with and then capitalize on openings left to me with short strings?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Prism posted:

Never before has that smiley been more appropriate.

I just picked up this game (PS3). I am not very good at fighting games, especially ones that involve long combos; I'm okay at timing, though. Other than Superman, which characters should I be looking at? I did pretty well with Lobo of all people in my few tests but I think some of that may have just been the other guy having no idea what Lobo did. I sure didn't do anything really impressive with him yet. I used to play Soul Caliber back in the 3/4 era.

Basically, who can I take it slow with and then capitalize on openings left to me with short strings?

I think the answer to that will always be Doomsday.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

Here is some Lobo concept art.
Linked for bigness.
I swear it must be the angle or something, but I can't stop seeing Starcraft II!Jim Raynor in that art.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Edit: Tom Brady is loving insufferable as an announcer.

Tom Brady owns. There is not enough outrage in the world for a Black Adam landing 5x wakeup lightning cages and not once MBing them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would say Adam's trait is better then Batman's. You clearly have no idea how it works.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I swear it must be the angle or something, but I can't stop seeing Starcraft II!Jim Raynor in that art.

Ya that's pretty Raynoriffic. Also other than the lack of dreadlocks it's not much different from how Lobo actually looks in the game.

Arikado posted:

"Flash Fact" smiley? That's perfect. :3:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would say Adam's trait is better then Batman's. You clearly have no idea how it works.

It's just extra damage and a roman cancel though. Batman's is free pressure, can break combos, extend your own, create unblockables, and gives him really good and safe zoning. Batman and Aquaman have pretty much the best traits in the game.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Batman's also is a functional anti-zoning tool. Black Adam literally just adds a few hits and damage to combos.

And I'm not saying Sinestro's doesn't have it's uses but it kind of loses its luster when another character has the same attack as a special move.

This is comparative, of course, to characters like Doomsday or Flash who have outstanding traits.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It's not garbage though. There's too many characters with near-unusable traits that a character with a trait that gives him 50%+ combos, unseeable mixups up close, and massive amounts of chip damage is pretty good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

And I'm not saying Sinestro's doesn't have it's uses but it kind of loses its luster when another character has the same attack as a special move.

They're both floaty round objects that fire a laser but other than that, they're not the same attack.

Also who gives a poo poo about luster and why is that even a factor when it comes to character traits?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Joker is really fun to play as I just wish his trait was useful.
Playing against goons is always humbling but the turn around when I play pubbies is pretty fantastic, you guys really are the best practice.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Awesome Andy posted:

Joker is really fun to play as I just wish his trait was useful.
Playing against goons is always humbling but the turn around when I play pubbies is pretty fantastic, you guys really are the best practice.

This is so true. I'll probably start playing again next week when Batgirl comes out.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Would someone mind posting some Joker BNB's? I'm having trouble finding any. Can he combo into Crowbar?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
You can crowbar after a heavy attack and meter burn it again to hit them when they're down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

JackDarko posted:

Would someone mind posting some Joker BNB's? I'm having trouble finding any. Can he combo into Crowbar?

Off of various normals or strings (2, 3, f23, probably some others) you can do:

XX db2~MB b3 j3 32 (1 or 2 hits) XX bf2

The Acid Flower ender does the most damage and makes them recover standing. You could instead cancel into far Teeth (db3~f) but most characters can roll and backdash or just wakeup attack out of it.

If you throw Teeth and land a j2, you get this:

j2 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) b3 32 (1 hit) XX Acid Flower
j2 (boom) Far Teeth j3 (boom) Far Teeth slight pause 33 boom 32 XX Acid Flower

The first is more damage, the second is easier.

Joker would have a stronger oki game with Teeth if he had a string that was both special cancelable and caused hard knockdown like Harley's 112, but as far as I have seen he does not. However, on stages with background bounce interactibles, you can combo into that and then throw close Teeth because the interactible acts as a hard knockdown.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 19, 2013

• Locked thread