Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Factory Factory posted:

Power and signal are entirely separate and there's no problem getting your +5V and +12V and +3.3V from entirely different sources, as long as you make sure nothing's cross-wired and about to release magic blue smoke. The only potential issue is if you're using a single-wire signal that relies on ground, but that's simple, because you can bridge the ground no problem between 5V and 12V. In fact, shared ground is probably the better idea.

Cool, so I can just straight up bridge them? I don't need any sort of protective circuitry? I think my signal does rely on ground, I'm using this circuit below (except with the pi instead of a U421). Will I need a different resistor since I'd be working with 12v?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I don't think so, but my knowledge here is kinda derivative. Shared ground is extremely common in multi-rail PSU design and tends to alleviate a number of issues when working with multiple voltages. If you know that your two power sources will have wildly different ground states, then bridging might indeed cause problems, but that shouldn't be the case - for low voltages and currents like these, "near zero" will be pretty darn well near zero.

Might be best to head to the electronics thread in CC -> DIY to ask.

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

ante posted:

Yeah, but as mentioned, he just needs a photo interrupter switch. Like this:

If he takes apart a printer to get the rollers/motor assembly to feed the user money, he'll also find a whole shitton of those switches.
It could be cheaper to get an old opto-mechanical computer mouse (the kind that use a ball), and use the photo-diode and ir-diode pair from one axis, but then you have to mount them on a circuit board yourself. It is cheaper though. In fact, I used a a pair from a mouse to replace a pair in my laser printer that I accidentally burnt out by connecting the diode to the fan power. :-o

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any way to reduce the CPU usage (not just changing nice level) of applications like SABNZBD+ and Samba Server without adversely affecting security (the usage presumably being a result of SSL)? Either of those applications is pretty much capable of maxing the CPU all on their own during a full-speed transfer. Also, Headphones has continuous high CPU utilization, on the order of 50%, regardless of whether I'm using it or not. Anything I can do to cut those down?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 15, 2013

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I'm really sorry for asking this but I don't really want to read 38 pages to find the answer to this question (and again I'm sorry as it has probably been asked a lot of times) but...

Could you please tell me good links for projects and stuff? I got the other day a Rpi and I'd like to start doing things with it and learn.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Billa posted:

I'm really sorry for asking this but I don't really want to read 38 pages to find the answer to this question (and again I'm sorry as it has probably been asked a lot of times) but...

Could you please tell me good links for projects and stuff? I got the other day a Rpi and I'd like to start doing things with it and learn.

W..what are you looking for exactly? I mean, that's a pretty generic request...

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

W..what are you looking for exactly? I mean, that's a pretty generic request...

That's more than enough, thanks man.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know if it would be possible to hook 10 RPis together to create the world's smallest, goofiest, weakest supercomputer?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/features/raspberry_pi_supercomputer.shtml

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Used one of these babies as a CA and RADIUS server for wireless EAP-TLS authentication. Had to teach myself Linux since I barely used it before. It was actually pretty painful to be honest, had trouble finding good documentation, and everything I found was incomplete or contained errors. Had a lot of problems where I'd get errors that in no way guided me to what the problem was. However, I struggled through it and it all worked out. I plan on using these more in the future, saved tons of money compared to any of the alternatives.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Excellent.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

The whole system cost under £2,500 (excluding switches) and has a total of 64 processors and 1Tb of memory (16Gb SD cards for each Raspberry Pi).

Yes, flash memory is totally the same thing as SDRAM :lol:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, flash memory is totally the same thing as SDRAM :lol:

It never says that? Storage is colloquially called memory sometimes, you know? They are memory cards, after all.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
As its a supercomputer the flash memory may well be used as swap memory!

I've never tried a swap that large, and the latency may be massive but given the guy made a cluster out of R-PI he's probably daft enough to try that too.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

As its a supercomputer the flash memory may well be used as swap memory!

I've never tried a swap that large, and the latency may be massive but given the guy made a cluster out of R-PI he's probably daft enough to try that too.

I'm considering building one a) just for the hell of it, b) because it's cool, and c) you can get a decent computer with a bunch of pis and a little work relatively cheap.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm considering building one a) just for the hell of it, b) because it's cool, and c) you can get a decent computer with a bunch of pis and a little work relatively cheap.

What do you mean by "decent" here?

They say it cost "under £2,500 (excluding switches)." That's a significant amount of money for a not-particularly-powerful computer. If you wanted to learn about writing highly parallel software, MPI, and other supercomputing, it might not be a bad way to play around with concepts. If you're trying to actually crunch data, though, there are much smarter ways to spend the same money.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I mean decent enough to run a few older games like Jagged Alliance 2, a controller for a small robotics project of mine, and of course, it;d be a great way to lean about parallel computing and supercomputers. I've got the 20mm ammo can for an old autocannon I'm slowly turning into my Pi case, and it's still got a ton of room, enough so that I could probably fit another 7 RPis in without too much effort. So far it's a Pi, 1tb hard drive, flexible keyboard, small speakers, a small fan, and space for a 15inch flatscreen HDMI monitor in the lid. So hey, if I can get 8 pis in there, that'd be pretty great. There's still plenty of space in it, and there'll be even more if I get a more modern 1tb drive or find a solid state drive that'll work.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

I mean decent enough to run a few older games like Jagged Alliance 2, a controller for a small robotics project of mine, and of course, it;d be a great way to lean about parallel computing and supercomputers. I've got the 20mm ammo can for an old autocannon I'm slowly turning into my Pi case, and it's still got a ton of room, enough so that I could probably fit another 7 RPis in without too much effort. So far it's a Pi, 1tb hard drive, flexible keyboard, small speakers, a small fan, and space for a 15inch flatscreen HDMI monitor in the lid. So hey, if I can get 8 pis in there, that'd be pretty great. There's still plenty of space in it, and there'll be even more if I get a more modern 1tb drive or find a solid state drive that'll work.

With all that room I'd consider filling the bottom with 2000mAh 18650 Li-Ion batteries. If you can fit 20 of them in there, that's 40Ah worth of power; that would comfortably run 8 RPi's for 10 hours. A portable supercomputer would be awesome!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to DIY computer stuff, but my friend set me up with retropie and I have felt like a 10 year old on Christmas for 3 days straight. It's so cool having a tiny little reto console hooked up to my TV. I really wish the thing had an on/off switch though.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

With all that room I'd consider filling the bottom with 2000mAh 18650 Li-Ion batteries. If you can fit 20 of them in there, that's 40Ah worth of power; that would comfortably run 8 RPi's for 10 hours. A portable supercomputer would be awesome!

I was in fact thinking of that. I've got a bit of space under where the speakers will be going, so it might work. In the meantime though, it's powerbar all the way.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

I was in fact thinking of that. I've got a bit of space under where the speakers will be going, so it might work. In the meantime though, it's powerbar all the way.

You might also want to look into headway cells:

http://www.manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=83&category_id=29&vmcchk=1

Big cells, but lots of capacity. I use them in my e-bike and they work great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am having a problems saving while using Retropie. My save games are wiped 75% of the time when I turn it back on. The best advice I can find is that you need to properly shut it down after using it, but it also seems to crash after any extended use. Any advice would be appreciated.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been trying to set Retropie up myself but haven't quite finished - I remember something about savegames from the documentation I'm following.

Here, I found it:

On first boot, EmulationStation is going to have you run through the button configuration for navigating the menu in EmulationStation (Please take note: Configuring EmulationStation controls will not configure your controls for the emulator. We will get to that later)

Use left and right on your keyboard to select an emulator, then up and down to select a ROM, and then press enter to run it.

Default controls use the A,S,Z,X keys for the button pad, Enter and Shift for start and select, and arrow keys for D-pad. Esc will exit the game, and F4 will exit the EmulationStation frontend and bring you back to terminal.

Take note that pressing Esc from the game will dump the save data to the Pi keeping your save games. However the only time it does save your game to the memory is when you press Esc – not when you press save in the game. If the system is powered off before Esc is pressed, your save file will not be written to memory.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I saw that too. So the reason it's not saving must be related to the crashes. 70% of the time that I use it for more than an hour or 2, trying to exit back to emulation station just brings me to a black screen with a white dot in the middle. I don't know if that problem is specific to me though because I can't find anyone else on Google having the same problem. As it stands, it's not even worth trying to play a game that uses save states.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Wow, this is the first I heard of RetroPie, which looks great save for its lack of N64 support. Is there anything similar to this out there? Is there software like this for those Android stick computers you see on DealExtreme, where you can just use a controller to navigate menus and not worry about remotes?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

TVarmy posted:

Wow, this is the first I heard of RetroPie, which looks great save for its lack of N64 support. Is there anything similar to this out there? Is there software like this for those Android stick computers you see on DealExtreme, where you can just use a controller to navigate menus and not worry about remotes?

There are certainly a lot of emulators for Android, so it would really just be a matter of getting the input device mapped correctly. RetroPie works with a lot of different devices, but honestly with Android I'd expect that anything you could connect via USB should be capable of controlling...whatever.

I'm actually considering getting one of these: https://www.miniand.com/products/Cubieboard%20Developer%20Board

It has some nice features like a SATA port and built in 4GB flash for storing an OS. Not entirely sure what I'd do with it at this point, but it's interesting.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

:siren::woop: Looks like some sweet progress being made on wayland/weston on rpi :woop::siren:

http://fooishbar.org/tell-me-about/wayland-on-raspberry-pi/

Will this make rpi almost usable as a general GUI desktop box?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've started seeing some weird hiccups in DTS audio streams to my receiver. Every now and then in a particular set of files it'll dip out for a second and the receiver lights up like it does when the audio format changes. It can only be reproduced in these files but they playback fine if I run them off my PC instead of the pi.

I've read that there's a patch to enable onboard DTS hardware decoding on the pi's GPU, but I don't have the leet skillz to work it out for myself. Has anyone else found it or is it considered :filez: since they haven't been able to get permission to sell licenses for hardware decoding?

Business
Feb 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, I saw that too. So the reason it's not saving must be related to the crashes. 70% of the time that I use it for more than an hour or 2, trying to exit back to emulation station just brings me to a black screen with a white dot in the middle. I don't know if that problem is specific to me though because I can't find anyone else on Google having the same problem. As it stands, it's not even worth trying to play a game that uses save states.

I'm having the same issue. I haven't really looked into it yet but in the config files for RetroArch I know there's some keyboard controls that allow you to save states in a permanent (rather than temp) file directory. So I'm probably going to see if I can find a way to implement that with the controllers or alternatively just keep the keyboard handy and save that way. I'll let you know if/when I get around to messing with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks, I'd appreciate it because I still have no idea what to do about it.

Actually at this point it won't even launch. The whole shebang just crashes when I plug it in.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peepsalot posted:

:siren::woop: Looks like some sweet progress being made on wayland/weston on rpi :woop::siren:

http://fooishbar.org/tell-me-about/wayland-on-raspberry-pi/

Will this make rpi almost usable as a general GUI desktop box?

Isn't the Linux world moving towards replacing Xorg entirely with Wayland?

I doubt you will ever see the Rpi be a primary desktop box merely because most people use them for internet stuff and Flash takes a lot of power to do. The processor speed on the Raspberry Pi is relative to stuff in the year 1998-2000 (Pentium III?) depending on how it's overclocked. We might see a successor to the Raspberry Pi do it though, the time it's taking software to fit to the limitations that the hardware has will likely exceed the time it takes for some chip company to notice how much of a market there is for super budget type computers like this.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 1, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone used the Raspberry Pi for Sabnzbd/Couchpotato/Sickbeard downloading to a USB Harddrive then having said HD connectable via Samba? I want to cut power usage and my current full sized HTPC computer seems to be overkill considering it has a 400w power supply. Is the Rpi capable of sending data over network to stream 720p content and is it capable of downloading and unpacking NZB files through Sabnzbd?

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Has anyone used the Raspberry Pi for Sabnzbd/Couchpotato/Sickbeard downloading to a USB Harddrive then having said HD connectable via Samba? I want to cut power usage and my current full sized HTPC computer seems to be overkill considering it has a 400w power supply. Is the Rpi capable of sending data over network to stream 720p content and is it capable of downloading and unpacking NZB files through Sabnzbd?

It can do all of this, and I originally had my pi setup for this. However, the download speed gets murdered by the CPU, and I could only top out at 1.5-2.0mb/s. I tried nzbget and sabnzbd and had the same result. I had to switch back to my mini to act as the usenet grabber. It streams 1080p just fine, however.

This link will walk you through it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/142249/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-usenet-machine/

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

YouTuber posted:

Isn't the Linux world moving towards replacing Xorg entirely with Wayland?

I doubt you will ever see the Rpi be a primary desktop box merely because most people use them for internet stuff and Flash takes a lot of power to do. The processor speed on the Raspberry Pi is relative to stuff in the year 1998-2000 (Pentium III?) depending on how it's overclocked. We might see a successor to the Raspberry Pi do it though, the time it's taking software to fit to the limitations that the hardware has will likely exceed the time it takes for some chip company to notice how much of a market there is for super budget type computers like this.

I am so excited for the next media oriented pi style computer. The raspberry pi with a faster processor and more ram would be great for emulation. I like retro pie, but I'm holding off until the next great minicomputer comes out to build a emulation set-top box.

The BeagleBone looks great for the hardware stuff, too. I'm tempted to do a few things with it, too.

I'm not saying the raspberry pi is not awesome as is, but I think it's definitely ushering in a great era of sub $70 hobbyist computers that are tiny and energy efficient and programmable. Basically, the ideal nerd toy. With Moore's law and miniaturization for smartphones, it's near inevitable.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

egoslicer posted:

It can do all of this, and I originally had my pi setup for this. However, the download speed gets murdered by the CPU, and I could only top out at 1.5-2.0mb/s. I tried nzbget and sabnzbd and had the same result. I had to switch back to my mini to act as the usenet grabber. It streams 1080p just fine, however.

This link will walk you through it:

http://www.howtogeek.com/142249/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-usenet-machine/

That speed isn't bad since I top out at maybe 2.5mb/s on my main computer. I was more concerned with the verify portion putting the RaspPi over it's knee and crushing it.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

YouTuber posted:

That speed isn't bad since I top out at maybe 2.5mb/s on my main computer. I was more concerned with the verify portion putting the RaspPi over it's knee and crushing it.

There is a switch in sabnzd to pause downloading when unrar, and that seems to balance it out decently enough.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This may not be precisely the right thread, but I have a question about the cheap ARM Android sticks that have come out recently. In particular I was looking at these, which list a maximum external HDD size of 2tb. Is that the partition size, so that I could break a single 3TB disk into a pair of 1.5TB partitions, or get around it with a GUID table somehow? Is there a kernel patch that might open up larger disk sizes?

It's not an immediate concern, but I was hoping to run a couple 3TB disks in enclosures as a cheap NAS unit, maybe throw my printers on there too.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Paul MaudDib posted:

This may not be precisely the right thread, but I have a question about the cheap ARM Android sticks that have come out recently. In particular I was looking at these, which list a maximum external HDD size of 2tb. Is that the partition size, so that I could break a single 3TB disk into a pair of 1.5TB partitions, or get around it with a GUID table somehow? Is there a kernel patch that might open up larger disk sizes?

It's not an immediate concern, but I was hoping to run a couple 3TB disks in enclosures as a cheap NAS unit, maybe throw my printers on there too.

I recently installed Ubuntu (picuntu) linux on an MK808 (http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-Rockchip-RK3066-Cortex-A9-Mini-PC-stick-307415.html) and it's kind of a project, but when you're done you'll have a full Linux PC that you can run Apache, samba, FTP, etc on.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

YouTuber posted:

YouTuber posted:

I've got mine running in basically this exact role. I run SAB, Sickbeard, Couch Potato, Samba, and CUPS on it, with most of the storage on a USB HDD.

The short answer is "yes" to everything. The long answer is "yes but performance is very anemic". Clever use of nice settings and switches really help but are not a silver bullet.

SAB: I only run SSL connections, which severely tax the CPU. 1.5MB/s is about the best I get out of the Rpi on SAB. Nothing really seems to help this, including lower numbers of threads. Typical data rates are about 1MB/s down. It's good enough that I don't usually care, but if you want the download right now then you can always use your main PC. Verifying or extracting do heavily tax the CPU, download rates typically drop to about 200kB/s. It's probably more efficient in terms of overall time to use the "pause" switch, but who cares.

Samba: Streaming 720p works fine. Peak rates are about 6MB/s (48Mb/s) for file transfers, which isn't awful when you consider the overhead involved (SSL/USB/network sharing the CPU, USB/network sharing the USB bus).

All of the Python web interfaces (SAB/CP/SB) are quite slow. It typically takes about 10s to load the first page, with subsequent pages taking about 3s to load. Part of this is quite likely a memory issue, caused by swapping the process into memory. There is always a modest level of overhead for accessing USB (rough guess, 10% of the CPU). I have one of the first-gen 256mb units, and I'm definitely interested in jumping to something with modestly more oomph (hence the question about the Android quad-core sticks).

In the past I've tried Headphones, but it eats up a shitload of CPU and memory constantly even with no data in the DB, and the public MusicBrainz servers suck. I could probably rig up a mirror of my own (possibly on a second unit) but that's kinda :effort:

To sum it up, the Rpi is not a powerhouse and it does not multitask well. But you don't need a powerhouse to spool off some documents, serve a network share, or download some NZBs. Just realize that the more of these you do at once, the worse the performance is going to get. nice accordingly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasH
Jun 20, 2001

I recently ran into a problem and hopefully someone can assist me.

Every couple of weeks, I create a backup of my rPi SD card using Win32DiskImager.
Recently, during the backup process, the program stops at 5% (my rPi continues to run though).

This causes me to worry so I bought a new SDHC card (4Gb, just like my main card, although that one is a MicroSD with an adapter).
Unfortunatly, when I try to write my latest backup to my new card, I get the following error in Win32DiskImager:

quote:

Not enough space on disk: Size: 7744512 sectors. Available: 7620480 sectors
Sector size: 512

I tried to format my new SDHC card with 512 bytes per sector, but Windows doesn't let me.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Can I solve this by buying another SD card? Which one? Why is there an incompability between my image and my SDHC card?